Julie's List - 2015

julie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very little participation , so why take time to post any more reviews ?

And yet, I find that if I don't post, my thread moves faster down the page, and even on to the second page, than it was doing a year or two ago.

On the other hand, I'm definitely getting fewer comments on reviews than previously, particularly those that want to discuss a book - but I thought that might be down to the nature of the books I'm reading (and the reviews?).

I think that might be symptomatic of forums generally - several others I subscribe to are far more moribund than this one. Maybe people have moved on to other forms of communication? I don't do Facebook for instance (or any of the other social media).

Edited by willoyd

I think quite a few people use social media for these things, or Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Blogs, etc. Personally I feel that a forum is the best way of having a great discussion with many people, as I feel the other options are a lot more limited. But to each their own, of course.

Personally I feel that a forum is the best way of having a great discussion with many people, as I feel the other options are a lot more limited. But to each their own, of course.

I agree!

I don't really mind if people don't come chat in my review thread. A few people always do, and I more do it for record keeping anyway, than for discussion. I love perusing other people's book threads for new reading ideas, even if I don't always comment. I find also that the more I comment in other peoples' threads, the more they're inclined to come comment in mine.

I have the same problem, Bobbly. I often will read three pages of new posts in a thread, and feel I have nothing useful to contribute, so I don't. I find it particularly happens with threads by people who read genres I don't, like fantasy. Even when I think a review is very good, if its not an area I am familiar with, I'll have little to say.

I have the same problem, Bobbly. I often will read three pages of new posts in a thread, and feel I have nothing useful to contribute, so I don't. I find it particularly happens with threads by people who read genres I don't, like fantasy. Even when I think a review is very good, if its not an area I am familiar with, I'll have little to say.

I tend to read in detail only reviews of books that I've either read or am interested in possibly reading, flicking through any others.  The number of the former do seem to have diminished in the past year or so, but I can't tell whether that's down to my tastes changing, or the general preferences on the board changing! (BTW, I don't read much, if any, fantasy either).  Whatever, I have to admit that I do feel as if I've contributed less recently than previously, even though I'm reading as much as or more than ever before.

Edited by willoyd

I don't really mind if people don't come chat in my review thread. A few people always do, and I more do it for record keeping anyway, than for discussion. I love perusing other people's book threads for new reading ideas, even if I don't always comment. I find also that the more I comment in other peoples' threads, the more they're inclined to come comment in mine.

This. I'm not commenting as much at the moment but I do read everyone's threads. There are some people I have more in common with reading taste wise - I also read very little fantasy! - but I do tend to read everyone's threads even if I can't add much to the discussion.

Personally I really enjoy reading everyone's reviews and it's one of the main reasons I keep coming back.

I got a lot of non fiction out of the library this time and I know only a few people will be interested in those history and politics tomes, but I mainly write reviews for my own records. Hence my new decision not to bother reviewing the "light quick" reads that are the only thing my brain appears to have been able to handle in recent weeks!

I got a lot of non fiction out of the library this time and I know only a few people will be interested in those history and politics tomes, but I mainly write reviews for my own records. Hence my new decision not to bother reviewing the "light quick" reads that are the only thing my brain appears to have been able to handle in recent weeks!

I would be very interested in your reviews on those subjects - I must be one of those few!

I read other people's threads and most reviews. I don't reply to all reviews, but if the book seems somewhat interesting, I'll usually make a reply and comment on it. I have broad tastes and I like a lot of you so I try to say something if I read a nice review.

I write my reviews for myself, but I do post them all in my thread. I read a variety of genres (and age ranges) and I read a lot. I know this is probably why some of my reviews don't get replies, because it's a Dutch book or a children's book or because I post so many reviews people don't want to see my thread too often (and I don't blame you for that, I know I write a lot of reviews. I don't expect anyone to read them all).

I know I post a lot though :blush2:. I hope it's not annoying anyone, I just like being friendly.

I tend to read all reviews, except for fantasy ones. Sorry, but those books just don't appeal to me. :blush2:  I will try to comment more, but often after work my brain tends to switch off, and simple things like typing on a forum become "too hard". :blush2:

Lots more reviews to post  ..... but not gonna bother posting them .

The group doesn't seem the same here any longer. Very little participation , so why take time to post any more reviews ?

To be honest, I guess this depends on why you write reviews. Many do so just to keep a record of their reading, and their thoughts, rather than looking for comments.

Some threads get more comments than others, but I think that depends on the books - generally people only comment because they've read a book, or it interests them. It doesn't mean people don't read them.

Some threads get more comments than others, but I think that depends on the books - generally people only comment because they've read a book, or it interests them. It doesn't mean people don't read them.

That's exactly what I do, Michelle. I read almost all the reviews here, but I only comment if I have something I feel is worthwhile to add. To be honest, I haven't read any of the books you've read, Julie, and they aren't the sort of books I would want to read. That doesn't make them any better or worse than the books I do read, and I would still read your reviews, but I probably wouldn't make any comment as it would seem pointless to just say they're not for me. It's the same as Steve, Laura's and Tim's book threads(and probably lots of others!) - I read all their reviews, but I rarely comment as I haven't read or don't intend to read a lot of the types of fantasy and science fiction books they read.

For my part, I write my own reviews just for my own benefit. If anyone gets anything from them, that's great, if they post a reply it's even better, but I don't worry if there's no response … there are so many books in the world, it's quite likely that no-one else has read it or even heard of it, and if it's not the sort of book they'd read, that's fine, I just like being here and being able to chat about books generally, and not always in members book lists. :)

I think there are times on forums of all kinds where there is a drop off of chat though, so it can feel as though we are shouting into an abyss. It's not that one is seeking comment or is in need of validation, but rather we want to feel that the community is tangibly there. 

All it can take is the absence for a day or two of some of the biggest chatterers/posters for a place to feel somewhat vacated. 

(There is now an image in my mind of a gang of teenagers running from room to room in a haunted house shouting "Hellloooo!" and getting no answer! )  :giggle2: 

I'd like to echo what other people have already said on here. It seems to be a quieter time for the forum at the moment, and as unfortunate as that is, it's just something that happens at times. 

I also write reviews mostly for myself, for my own amusement. It's nice to write something down about each book I've read, so I can go back and see what I thought of a particular book, if I ever feel like reminiscing. I read everyone's reading log but I don't always have anything to comment, and that's due to not being into the books that a particular person's been reviewing. I like to think I have a broad taste in books but I'm less interested in some particular genres than others. And I will freely admit that I won't read every review that's been written, because with some books I feel like I'm not interested in them and so might not get anything out of the review. I don't expect everyone to read all my reviews, either, and I don't expect everyone to even read my log. We all have different tastes and I think most of us gravitate towards certain genres more than others and therefore have more to say on certain books and in certain people's logs. :shrug: