Michelle's Reading - 2015

Michelle

I think Uprooted could be my favourite book of the year so far - and if you follow me on twitter, you would have seen it has other fans too. I have to do a proper review, but it's a fantasy tale which reads like a fairytale.. and I loved it! Has anyone read anything else by Naomi Novik?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naomi Novik.. I have heard of this author before though I don't think I've read any of her books. But the name sounds so familiar, I'm sure I've talked about her with someone or have a book by her on my wishlist or library want to read list. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, I might have to see if my library has it as it sounds good :).

I'm going to get involved in the discussions later, but for now, I've just finished Only Ever Yours, and.. wow! I have some reservations about the earlier part of the book, but I thought the whole ending sequence was brilliant - and very chilling.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to get into anything at the moment - I'm aware I have a few review books around, but there are also lots on my shelf i want to read.. but not one in particular! I think my brain is feeling overwhelmed, and doesn't know which book to decide on!  :wacko:

It's not been a bad start to the year - stand-outs for me so far are A Robot in the Garden, Uprooted and Only Ever Yours. Audio, I've part listened to so many, and have lost track a little.

I feel a lot like you at the moment, Michelle.  It's not that my mojo has deserted me, but I just can't seem to settle on anything, so I'm going back to my jar to pick my books.  I'm hoping I'll stumble across something by accident that grabs my by the collar and drags me in.  Fingers crossed you find something you love soon.  :smile:

For those of you who have read / discussed the Matt Haig book on depression, there are others now saying that he's anti-med - something he's denying. He's saying he's been misinterpreted.. but to be honest, if people are taking an anti-med message from the book, then it's either the way he feels, or that section has been badly read / edited. 

On a more positive note, I found a book to grab me again - a fantasy called Starborn by Lucy Hounsom, which I think is published soon. :)

I saw Matt's tweets earlier and your reply Michelle.  I haven't read the book, but like you've said, it seems both on here and on Twitter, I've seen others say they'd read it that he was anti-meds too, and I thought there were some great tweets from people explaining why it's important to talk to your doctor and decide the best treatment for you, and if that is medication, then that's right for you.  Everyone is individual and should be able to get the treatment they need whatever form it takes.

I've also seen you tweet about Starborn, so fingers crossed it's the thing to rejuvenate your mojo! :D

I really need to read that Matt Haig book. I keep saying it but I must get to it soon, I really want to form my own opinion based on what it says.

Also glad you're enjoying your current read :)

Ah yes Claire, I do tend to tweet a lot when I'm enjoying a book. :) I finished Starborn last night, and I thought it was rather good, but I don't read much fantasy, so I'm not sure how it compares to others. 

Now to decide what to move onto!

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews:

Starborn by Lucy Hounsom

True Face by Siobhan Curham

The Imagination Box by Martyn Ford

Way Down Dark by James Smythe

Plus a post about why I don't like writing reviews!

https://mjmoore.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/i-have-a-confession-to-make/

I also finished The Humans by Matt Haig as an audiobook, and I wasn't that impressed I'm afraid. It may have been because I've heard so much about it, but I found it a little long and repetitive.

I've now started a really early review copy of Skin by Ilka Tampke. Audio-wise, I'm really not sure...

Michelle, I think you write great reviews, honestly. Most of the time I think my reviews are terrible and people are always telling me they're great. I have no idea, I just write them coz I'm an opinionated little so-and-so :lol: I'm sorry to hear you don't really like writing them.

Also sorry to hear you weren't that keen on The Humans... I find my opinion of it a little soured in retrospect by my dislike of him as a person (based off what I've seen on twitter and heard about his other book). But I did enjoy it.

Good luck with Skin, doesn't really sound like it would be my thing though.

I agree with Noll, I also like your reviews :). I can imagine finding it difficult though, I sometimes also am not sure what to say about a book exactly and I feel sometimes some of my reviews are very repetative. But I like to write them, I find it helps me, it's a way to get closure on the book and a way for me to process the book. It's also nice for future's sake, so I can re-read the review at a later time and see what I thought of a book, and also to tell all of you here what I thought of a book. I like your blog!

I sometimes also am not sure what to say about a book exactly and I feel sometimes some of my reviews are very repetative.

That happens to me too, whenever I refer to a book as 'compelling' in particular. I use that word in almost every positive review I write. Lots of books are, but honestly with most reviews I find myself running to thesaurus.com trying to find some new words for my vocabulary! :lol:

I think we're all dubious of our own reviews … it's difficult to know how much to say, what not to give away, and how long to waffle on for! I know some of my reviews could go on for pages if I actually wrote everything I thought about the book, but I don't want to bore you all. :lol:  

All I can say is that there are a ton of books on my wish list with the comment "Recommended by Michelle" so you must be doing something right. :yes: