Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to spoiler tag this just because I don't want to give anything away to anyone else who might read it.

Because you only see the wider society through the eyes of the girls at school and the occasional comment from Darwin, do you think there were any protesters or resistance to the way women were being treated?  I kept hoping that someone would come forward and give me a little piece of hope, but at the end of it, suicide was the only option isabel had to escape from her enforced future.

I'm also not sure why anyone would feel it was in humanity's best interest to eradicate any surviving animal life when the apocalypse came, but maybe I missed something.

No, I don't think you missed anything.

I also assumed that all the food was synthesised, so it was relatable but not what we would know as food, but if there were no animals at all, what was the food synthesised from? No meat or dairy, so if it was organic in origin, was it all from vegetable matter? But if that was the case, again, why were the other animals on the planet wiped out? Maybe I've got it wrong, and perhaps it was just the school that was sealed, but I got the impression that the outside world was a no-go zone and that everyone else lived within sealed compounds or underground, again implying that you couldn't grow vegetation outside, so was it all done with artificial environments?

Although you obviously can't have a sequel with the frieda and isabel[/b], I keep thinking I want to know more about the world outside the school, and wonder what would happen if a girl was conceived instead of a boy at some point.

You write wonderful reviews, Noll. :) The one I was most interested in was The Sense of an Ending, which I have on my TBR pile. You've made it sound so wonderful!

Awww thank you! It's a really great little book, I hope you enjoy it/am looking forward to hearing what you think of it when you get round to it :)

I'm going to spoiler tag this just because I don't want to give anything away to anyone else who might read it.

Because you only see the wider society through the eyes of the girls at school and the occasional comment from Darwin, do you think there were any protesters or resistance to the way women were being treated?  I kept hoping that someone would come forward and give me a little piece of hope, but at the end of it, suicide was the only option isabel had to escape from her enforced future.

I also assumed that all the food was synthesised, so it was relatable but not what we would know as food, but if there were no animals at all, what was the food synthesised from? No meat or dairy, so if it was organic in origin, was it all from vegetable matter? But if that was the case, again, why were the other animals on the planet wiped out? Maybe I've got it wrong, and perhaps it was just the school that was sealed, but I got the impression that the outside world was a no-go zone and that everyone else lived within sealed compounds or underground, again implying that you couldn't grow vegetation outside, so was it all done with artificial environments?

Although you obviously can't have a sequel with the frieda and isabel[/b], I keep thinking I want to know more about the world outside the school, and wonder what would happen if a girl was conceived instead of a boy at some point.

1. Hmmm. I'm not sure, because it seems the only women who get out of the school are ones that have been fully conditioned. Although, if Frieda had acted the way I expected (calm and collected until she was outside with Darwin), then she might have gone all Jennifer Lawrence on everyone. That was actually the ending I expected, and was actually delighted I didn't get. Other girls might have done that - clearly the gay couple made it out but were ultimately killed. So maybe there's a resistance faction in hiding, or something? That would be pretty cool and I'd imagine the power of even a small faction would be magnified in a small remnant civilization. I also like the idea that there are young men like Darwin who naturally have an aversion to the treatment of women.

2. There didn't seem to be anything organic at all in the school, remember even the plants 'outside' when the girls had their late night meeting were plastic. God only knows what the food was synthesized from! Must be a futuristic thing, like replicators in Star Trek :D Although I'm pretty sure even replicators need the original organic patterns of food to create it... I dunno!

3. YES! My only disappointment with the ending of the book was that the world-building was so excellent within the context of the school, that I would LOVE to see what the author could come up with outside the school - I'd love to learn about the living conditions of companions and concubines, the sort of work that men do, what sort of governance prevails in the outside world etc. I would really love there to be a sequel. I find it unlikely a girl would survive birth in that society, but if she managed it she could easily become a key figure in a second novel.

Additionally: I thought the way Freida betrayed Darwin was very unbelieveable. All she had to do was be quiet and take the mockery for a couple more weeks and she probably would have been free, and after 16 years of living in that environment, I feel like she could have held out, knowing freedom was so close. But it did bring about an epic ending, so I'm willing to let it go.

I'm thinking of tracking down the author for an interview, mind if I include some of our discussion questions? :lol:

Edited by Nollaig

1. Hmmm. I'm not sure, because it seems the only women who get out of the school are ones that have been fully conditioned. Although, if Frieda had acted the way I expected (calm and collected until she was outside with Darwin), then she might have gone all Jennifer Lawrence on everyone. That was actually the ending I expected, and was actually delighted I didn't get. Other girls might have done that - clearly the gay couple made it out but were ultimately killed. So maybe there's a resistance faction in hiding, or something? That would be pretty cool and I'd imagine the power of even a small faction would be magnified in a small remnant civilization. I also like the idea that there are young men like Darwin who naturally have an aversion to the treatment of women.

2. There didn't seem to be anything organic at all in the school, remember even the plants 'outside' when the girls had their late night meeting were plastic. God only knows what the food was synthesized from! Must be a futuristic thing, like replicators in Star Trek :D Although I'm pretty sure even replicators need the original organic patterns of food to create it... I dunno!

3. YES! My only disappointment with the ending of the book was that the world-building was so excellent within the context of the school, that I would LOVE to see what the author could come up with outside the school - I'd love to learn about the living conditions of companions and concubines, the sort of work that men do, what sort of governance prevails in the outside world etc. I would really love there to be a sequel. I find it unlikely a girl would survive birth in that society, but if she managed it she could easily become a key figure in a second novel.

Additionally: I thought the way Freida betrayed Darwin was very unbelieveable. All she had to do was be quiet and take the mockery for a couple more weeks and she probably would have been free, and after 16 years of living in that environment, I feel like she could have held out, knowing freedom was so close. But it did bring about an epic ending, so I'm willing to let it go.

I'm thinking of tracking down the author for an interview, mind if I include some of our discussion questions? :lol:

Re your additional point:

I don't think it was too unbelievable, because it was always a precarious situation, in that she had no guarantee that Darwin would pick her, especially after she knew his father didn't want him to pick her (and maybe she did unconsciously put two and two together which his broken arm) and her lack of self esteem as a result of dropping in the ratings at the beginning of the year, she was constantly felt on a knife edge. After seemingly losing the friendship of isabel, she must have had no trust in anyone, so I don't think she ever really believed she was safe and that Darwin would choose her, even after all the Seventh Heaven(? - can't remember if that was what they called it, and I don't have the book to hand) encounters.

And yes, of course you could include our discussion! The author's website has all her contacts

Re your additional point:

I don't think it was too unbelievable, because it was always a precarious situation, in that she had no guarantee that Darwin would pick her, especially after she knew his father didn't want him to pick her (and maybe she did unconsciously put two and two together which his broken arm) and her lack of self esteem as a result of dropping in the ratings at the beginning of the year, she was constantly felt on a knife edge. After seemingly losing the friendship of isabel, she must have had no trust in anyone, so I don't think she ever really believed she was safe and that Darwin would choose her, even after all the Seventh Heaven(? - can't remember if that was what they called it, and I don't have the book to hand) encounters.

And yes, of course you could include our discussion! The author's website has all her contacts

Heavenly Seventy :D Yeeeeaahhh but being in Megan's good books wasn't going to change anything. The ratings were irrelevant, Darwin was literally her own hope. Sure, he wasn't a huge hope, but a better horse to bet on than Megan. I can actually understand her pleading with him, and thinking about it - that still would have brought about the same ending so betraying him to Megan didn't seem to do anything except make Freida less likeable. I dunno, it just felt a bit forced to me. Also why did Isabel gain all that weight? Was she trying to stop herself being selected for the Father? And did she then distance herself from Freida as a result of that to avoid bringing down Frieda's reputation? That was what I took from it, but wasn't entirely sure I was getting it right :blush2:

And yuss, I got her email, I must just check with Michelle that she's okay with me doing it in the name of the BCF again, will sort it out over the weekend :lol:

Heavenly Seventy :D Yeeeeaahhh but being in Megan's good books wasn't going to change anything. The ratings were irrelevant, Darwin was literally her own hope. Sure, he wasn't a huge hope, but a better horse to bet on than Megan. I can actually understand her pleading with him, and thinking about it - that still would have brought about the same ending so betraying him to Megan didn't seem to do anything except make Freida less likeable. I dunno, it just felt a bit forced to me. Also why did Isabel gain all that weight? Was she trying to stop herself being selected for the Father? And did she then distance herself from Freida as a result of that to avoid bringing down Frieda's reputation? That was what I took from it, but wasn't entirely sure I was getting it right :blush2:

And yuss, I got her email, I must just check with Michelle that she's okay with me doing it in the name of the BCF again, will sort it out over the weekend :lol:

My reading of isabel's situation was that she's a fifteen year old girl who's just been sexually assaulted and physically abused by the Father who must have been a fairly old man who relished his power over women, and as the chastity said at the end, he'd left her in a bad way.  I think gaining weight was perhaps a way of showing she still had some control over her own body, or perhaps she had just lost all self respect and she used food as the only comfort she could get. Distancing herself from frieda was because if she kept the friendship going, she knew was supposed to keep her selection for the father a secret and she couldn't face frieda without wanting to tell her what had happened to her - not only because it was a secret, but because she now knew what their futures held for them after school was over and it was too horrific to reveal.

My reading of isabel's situation was that she's a fifteen year old girl who's just been sexually assaulted and physically abused by the Father who must have been a fairly old man who relished his power over women, and as the chastity said at the end, he'd left her in a bad way.  I think gaining weight was perhaps a way of showing she still had some control over her own body, or perhaps she had just lost all self respect and she used food as the only comfort she could get. Distancing herself from frieda was because if she kept the friendship going, she knew was supposed to keep her selection for the father a secret and she couldn't face frieda without wanting to tell her what had happened to her - not only because it was a secret, but because she now knew what their futures held for them after school was over and it was too horrific to reveal.

I shouldn't be allowed read books, I clearly don't get them :roll: That makes perfect sense!

Erm.. I'm pretty sure the answer will be yes. :) I want to read this now, to join in the discussion, but don't want to disturb my current book.

I shouldn't be allowed read books, I clearly don't get them :roll: That makes perfect sense!

:lol:

Erm.. I'm pretty sure the answer will be yes. :) I want to read this now, to join in the discussion, but don't want to disturb my current book.

We'll happily be waiting patiently for you, whenever you do get chance to read it. As you can see, Noll and I have plenty to say about it! :D

In my defence, Isabel's situation is not something I tune into very well, I can be remarkably like Sherlock when it comes to sensitive things. That's my excuse for ill-reading the situation and that's that! :lol:

In entirely other news, I'm two thirds of the way through the first Season of Yesterday's Gone, and I got a few new books for my weekend in Kerry, including The Guest Cat and that Ava Lavender one. I might not be on the forum much while in Kerry, I'm not sure, as I won't have my laptop, but hopefully I'll have a few new reviews to write when I get back!

In my defence, Isabel's situation is not something I tune into very well, I can be remarkably like Sherlock when it comes to sensitive things. That's my excuse for ill-reading the situation and that's that! :lol:

In entirely other news, I'm two thirds of the way through the first Season of Yesterday's Gone, and I got a few new books for my weekend in Kerry, including The Guest Cat and that Ava Lavender one. I might not be on the forum much while in Kerry, I'm not sure, as I won't have my laptop, but hopefully I'll have a few new reviews to write when I get back!

Oooh, The Guest Cat. Is it good, is it good ? Should I buy it ?  :blush2:

Ok, I really need to read Only Ever Yours. I've just bought it on Amazon, and will make it my next read. Very intrigued by the comments about the ending being so shocking. I love a strong ending that leaves you a bit dazed. :thud:

Ok, I really need to read Only Ever Yours. I've just bought it on Amazon, and will make it my next read. Very intrigued by the comments about the ending being so shocking. I love a strong ending that leaves you a bit dazed. :thud:

Can't wait to hear what you think of it, bobblybear. :)

I hope you enjoy your time there :)!

My dog is from Kerry, well, I didn't get him from Kerry, but he is a Kerry Blue Terrier.

Have a good time!

Nawww they're lovely dogs :D And thanks! So far so good!

Oooh, The Guest Cat. Is it good, is it good ? Should I buy it ?  :blush2:

Haha I haven't read it yet but I'm flattered by your faith in my opinion :lol: I know a lot of other people have enjoyed it!

Excellent, I really hope you enjoy it. It's a very dark book, so please don't let that catch you unawares and put you off. It's well worth reading. The ending still gives me shivers, thinking about it.

I hope you enjoy your time there :)!

Thank you, so far so good! I went to Ross Castle on Sunday, of which there are photos on Facebook. Lovely place. Also my mum cleaned out my childhood room for relatives who are coming from England to visit, and left me tons of bags to sort through - and I found so many precious photos and notes and letters and gifts, it was amazing! Absolutely delighted to have found so much stuff.

Excellent, I really hope you enjoy it. It's a very dark book, so please don't let that catch you unawares and put you off. It's well worth reading. The ending still gives me shivers, thinking about it.

It won't put me off.....sometimes it's good to read something very bleak and dark. :readingtwo:  Will be starting it later today.

One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories by B.J. Novak

Synopsis: Finding inspiration in questions from the nature of perfection to the icing on carrot cake, from the deeply familiar to the intoxicatingly imaginative, One More Thing finds its heart in the most human of phenomena: love, fear, family, ambition, and the inner stirring for the one elusive element that might make a person complete. The stories in this collection are like nothing else, but they have one thing in common: they share the playful humor, deep heart, inquisitive mind, and altogether electrifying spirit of a writer with a fierce devotion to the entertainment of the reader.

Review: First things first, that synopsis is insanely overwritten, and its only an excerpt from the full synopsis at Goodreads! I enjoyed this book. It is a collection of approximately 60 short stories, several of which do not even really constitute stories so much as a tiny collection of sentences, while others last several pages. On the surface, this book comes across as a light-hearted set of offhanded jokes and punchlines, presented with a creative diversity in themes and characters. On occasion, it delves a little deeper than that, but not often, and for the most part leaves deeper conclusions to be drawn by the reader themselves. One line that struck me as one of the most whimsically expressed dark sentiments I have ever read - it stole multiple rereadings from me and sent a shiver down my spine - is to be found in a description of nice things found in heaven: "Children with old souls finally laughed lightly".

I will admit that within the first few stories, several moments made me laugh out loud, and Novak definitely has a way with words. The second half of the collection moved a lot slower than the first, and while it too contained some gems, most of the stories and vignettes from the whole book were ultimately forgetable. However, some will stick with me - 'The Rematch' and 'The Something by John Grisham' had me cackling with delight, and one-liners in 'Rithmetic' and 'If You Love Something' made me snort with laughter. Many of them felt very relatable in a way that reflected life quite well - they never turn out how you expect and only rarely is anything as perfect or ideal as you might hope. In some cases, things are downright tragic (e.g. 'One Of These Days, We Have To Do Something About Willie'). That reflective nature, perhaps, is my favourite thing about this collection.

Highly readable, I happily read all the stories in their printed order, within 24 hours, and even the forgettable ones didn't really feel like a waste. Special mention must go to 'I Never Want To Walk On The Moon', 'Pick A Lane', and 'The Walk To School On The Day After Labor Day'. Don't go into this collection expecting mind-boggling insight into the nature of the human condition, and you may very well find it tickles your funny bone just fine - probably one to carry in your bag for dipping in and out of on the ride to and from places.

Rating: 3.5/5

Oh cool - he played Ryan on the The Office (US Version). I know he was a writer for the series, so I guess he has a knack for it.

Yeah, most of the negative reviews I actually read of the book were by fans of the Office saying they expected more. I don't watch The Office, so I had no expectations and I quite enjoyed it.

I've started reading The Last Days Of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin, one of the few chick lit authors I read (because she does a wonderful job of portraying Irish characters). So far so good, sad and heartfelt as her books tend to be.  Also trying to finish World After (the second Angelfall book) but it's really not pulling me in the way the first one did, which is a shame.

Also trying to finish World After (the second Angelfall book) but it's really not pulling me in the way the first one did, which is a shame.

I usually struggle with the middle book of a trilogy, but I really liked this one. Will  you still read the final one?

I usually struggle with the middle book of a trilogy, but I really liked this one. Will  you still read the final one?

Yeahhh sure if I get through two of em, might as well give the third a bash. I think my focus just drifted a little too far, and I'm finding it tough to get back into it. Penryn is trying to run the rescue mission at the moment, about 3/4 of the way through. I love the stuff with her sister, but I want more Raffe!

Yesterday's Gone - Sean Platt & David Wright

Synopsis: On October 15 at 2:15 a.m. everyone on Earth vanished. Well, almost everyone. A scattered few woke alone in a world where there are no rules other than survival... at any cost. A journalist wanders the wretched reality of an empty New York, in search for his wife and son. A serial killer must hunt in a land where prey is now an endangered species. A mother shields her young daughter from danger. A bullied teen is thrilled to find everyone gone. A fugitive survives a fiery plane crash. An eight year old boy sets out on a journey to find his missing family. These survivors aren't alone... Someone or something is watching them. And waiting...

Review: Each 'season' of Yesterday's Gone is a collection of 'episodes' of serialized fiction, with each season amounting to a long book full of parts, and chapters from the perspectives of different characters. I've reviewing the season as a whole because honestly one episode is far too short to review in and of itself, and really the serialization made no difference to me, because I just read Season 1 as the first book in a series of books.

Season 1 begins with a familiar setup - people beginning to wake up in a seemingly deserted world, from which 99% of humanity seems to have vanished instantaneously whilst innocently going about its day. This is one of my favourite setups for books and movies alike, although very few have the skill to pull off the Big-Bad Reveal to my satisfaction. Honestly, Yesterday's Gone is doing exceptionally well so far, and I think that's because it has successfully engaged my interest with its wide cast of varied characters. Some I like more than others, but even the few I dislike are well-written and diverse enough in their voices and personalities to keep me interested in their stories.

The plot is pretty enjoyable; it's not the most original thing out there (so far) - in fact it largely seems to be a talented reuse of many traditional horror elements. That said, its highly readable and differentiated from generic plots by the aforementioned cast through whose eyes we experience it. Creepy monsters, tense battles to the near-death, and a dog named Dog Vader who is actually a Native American named Kick, this story has all the hallmarks of a good post-apocalyptic horror story with a dash of 'what the hell?' thrown in for good measure. That said, this is only season one - who knows what creative madness lies in wait in further seasons.

I'm taking one mark off because, despite its many good points as a casual read, it's not something that I'll remember for years to come. All the same, if it's your kind of genre, it'll definitely be worth your time picking it up. I for one am dying to start Season 2.

Rating: 4/5