Bobblybear's Book List - 2015

bobblybear

The final book was just too long, and too uninteresting for me. The main problem was that I couldn't warm to any of the characters, and so ultimately didn't care about them.

Ya know, I was just telling Gaia, that man can write a complete story in 5 pages, but his longer ones can be hit and miss.  You should try some of his shorter stuff, he used to have some for free on his site... but now I can't find them.  He wanted to make them free, but his publisher wouldn't let him, so he sells them for just under a dollar.  I wouldn't go with the Beacon series, but I can recommend Glitch, Second Suicide or The Walk Up Nameless Ridge.  I also enjoyed The Shell Collector, which is under 300 pages.  But well done on finishing this series, I will try and do Wool this year... maybe just not the whole trilogy :)

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Hobie was my favorite character as well. :smile:

The Little Friend is one that I didn't get on with, and I didn't even finish it. But as I was reviewing The Goldfinch I was thinking that I should give it another go. I have it on my Kindle, so I may give it a go over the Christmas break. Have you read it? If so, did you enjoy it - compared to The Secret History and The Goldfinch?

I started out really liking The Little Friend but it fizzled at the end and left me with so many questions that I just couldn't get past.  I think maybe my annoyance with it was just compounded due to waiting for 10 years since Secret History was published and then being so disappointed.  I really loved The Secret History although I did like Goldfinch more :).  What did you think of Secret History?

Great review of The Goldfinch, Bobbly. :) I've heard few good things about The Little Friend, so I think I'll skip that (at least for now) and read The Goldfinch as my next Donna Tartt novel. I really loved The Secret History. :)

Great review of The Goldfinch, Bobbly. :) I've heard few good things about The Little Friend, so I think I'll skip that (at least for now) and read The Goldfinch as my next Donna Tartt novel. I really loved The Secret History. :)

Thanks, Kylie. Hmmm, yeah I haven't heard the best things about The Little Friend, and I didn't finish it when I tried it years ago. I think I will give it another try quite soon though. Maybe I'll have changed my mind. :dunno:

I started out really liking The Little Friend but it fizzled at the end and left me with so many questions that I just couldn't get past.  I think maybe my annoyance with it was just compounded due to waiting for 10 years since Secret History was published and then being so disappointed.  I really loved The Secret History although I did like Goldfinch more :).  What did you think of Secret History?

I loved The Secret History....just loved everything about it. It was such a perfect novel.  As much as I enjoyed The Goldfinch, I think I liked The Secret History marginally more.

Ya know, I was just telling Gaia, that man can write a complete story in 5 pages, but his longer ones can be hit and miss.  You should try some of his shorter stuff, he used to have some for free on his site... but now I can't find them.  He wanted to make them free, but his publisher wouldn't let him, so he sells them for just under a dollar.  I wouldn't go with the Beacon series, but I can recommend Glitch, Second Suicide or The Walk Up Nameless Ridge.  I also enjoyed The Shell Collector, which is under 300 pages.  But well done on finishing this series, I will try and do Wool this year... maybe just not the whole trilogy :)

Yeah, I may try his shorter stories, as I think Wool just overwhelmed me. There was just too much of it, and I tired of it quite quickly. :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...

NOS4R2 - Joe Hill

I really didn't like this book at all, to the point where I can't believe I persevered with it through to the end. :dunno: It's wrong to compare Joe Hill to his dad, but for some reason I keep doing that!  :blush2:  I'm going to give up on him as I have been disappointed on some level with all his books.

Basically, the lead character is a young girl called Vic McQueen – nicknamed The Brat. She discovers a way of into a sort of parallel world on her bicycle. However, this world is also inhabited by the very sinister (and old) Charlie Manx who abducts and murders children, in order to send them to Christmasland. His Rolls Royce Wraith is his portal, as Vic's Raleigh bike is hers. Charlie Manx believes that he is rescuing them from an abusive childhood.

Before long, their paths cross over, and Vic barely manages to escape, while Manx ends up in a hospital/prison deep in a coma.

Twenty or so years later, Vic is still in denial about what has happened. The events with Charlie Manx have clearly impacted who she is now, and she has taken a somewhat unsavoury path in life . The only good things in her life are her partner and their son. Unable to get Charlie Manx out of her mind, her past resurfaces when she realises that he hasn't forgotten her either, and is keen to finish what he started.

OK, I just didn't like anything about it. I couldn't stand the main character – I thought she was poorly written and came across like a caricature rather than a real person. I didn't like the story. It was far too long, loads of filler, dragged like hell and just annoyed me. In fact I'm really amazed I stuck with it! I can't exactly pinpoint what I didn't like about the story. My first thought is that it's silly and surreal, but then loads of books I read aren't based in reality and I haven't had a problem with them. :dunno: It's just one of those things I guess, where many things come together and I just don't get along with them at all. However, I am by far in the minority if the amazon reviews are anything to go by.

1/6

Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner - Judy Melinek

This one will probably only appeal to certain people with a macabre interest, or a curiosity about morbid things. I found it utterly, utterly fascinating and I practically read the whole thing non-stop.

Dr Judy Melinek started her training to be a forensic pathologist in New York, a few months before the 9/11 attacks. In this book, she give an extremely detailed review of her experiences with the various cases that she has had to deal with – including suicides, murders, natural deaths. Nothing is held back and I have to say this is the most revealing book on forensics and autopsies that I have ever read. Many parts do make you a bit squeamish but at the same time it is just so fascinating. Believe me when I say that she describes everything.....she really does.

It is very gory, but the way she tells it is in a very matter-of-fact clinical manner, of something that she simply has to deal with every day. She also gives an insight into the behind the scenes environment and the people she works with, and how they have their regular meetings to go over any suspicious deaths or questionable outcomes.

The last few chapters are about her experiences during 9/11, and it is very detailed and graphic, and quite difficult reading because of course it's an event that everyone has heard of and most people watched as it unfolded. When she describes the number of lorries that were lined up along the streets, just to hold all the body parts, it really hammers home how many people died in the attack.

Highly recommended if you have an interest in this kind of thing.

6/6

South Riding - Winifred Holtby

The story is set in the rural community of South Riding, Yorkshire in 1930s.

There is a very large cast of characters – many of them local Councillors – each with their own agendas. I found this a bit overwhelming to start with and it took me a while to keep track of who was whom, but after several chapters I started to pick up on who the key players were. There is Sarah Burton, a determined young woman who has been appointed headmistress at the local school and is determined to push her students to the best of their capabilities. Lydia Holly is one of her students, from a very deprived background but a keen interest in learning and talent for English. Then there is Carne, a councillor and farmer, who is struggling with some family problems, and the financial issues resulting from that.

I have to admit that I didn't fall in love with this book as I'd hoped I would. I think the problem I had was that many of the stories around the characters didn't hold my interest, as they had a fairly strong political bent. I was much more interested in the stories of the few characters I've listed above, and I think that's because they were of a personal focus nature than a political/business one.

It's only £0.99 on the Kindle, so well worth giving it a go if it seems like your thing.

3/6

I've got the audiobook of South Riding for the English Counties Challenge and I've lined it up for my daily commute when I go back to work on Monday.  I might get the Kindle version as well as it's only 99p so I can use the WhisperSync and read it as well.  I don't always get on well with books with too many characters, so I've taken that on board from your review to make sure I concentrate when I start to see if I can get them all in my head! :D

The Exit - Helen Fitzgerald

Catherine is in her early twenties, and right from the start of the book is portrayed as very aimless, shallow and vacant. For reasons that become clear later on, she is encouraged (well, practically forced) by her mother to take on a job in a local care home. There she meets Rose, an 82 year old who is suffering from dementia. Rose was a very well known children's book author back in the day.

Almost immediately, Rose starts confiding in Catherine that there is something sinister going on at the care home. She offers Catherine money to pass on messages to outsiders, and draws many pictures based on flashbacks she has, but because of her mental state she can't actually explain what is happening. Given that Rose often has no awareness of where she is, and is often reliving a tragedy in her past, Catherine cannot determine whether something untoward is actually going on.

I thought this was just ok. It has enough mystery to keep me interested, but it didn't really grab me. When the big reveal is made I thought it was a little silly and unlikely. Also, I disliked the ending; I found it far too ambiguous. I much preferred the author's other book The Cry, which just had more originality and depth to it.

3/6

I've got the audiobook of South Riding for the English Counties Challenge and I've lined it up for my daily commute when I go back to work on Monday.  I might get the Kindle version as well as it's only 99p so I can use the WhisperSync and read it as well.  I don't always get on well with books with too many characters, so I've taken that on board from your review to make sure I concentrate when I start to see if I can get them all in my head! :D

I hope you enjoy it more than I did! Alexi and Willoyd both loved it. Maybe it translates better via audio.

Don't panic when you come across the sheer number of characters in the opening chapter.....a lot of them are minor ones who pop in and out of the story, while the more 'important' characters have more of their backstory revealed and so are easier to remember.

Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner - Judy Melinek

This sounds interesting, it's going on my wishlist! :smile2: Have you read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach? It's also to do with bodies (duh), but it's to do with what happens to them after all is 'said and done'. Meaning, do they get buried or do they get opened for organ donations etc etc. The book is soooo funny! I mean it's written in a really funny way, which I personally think is fantastic, given that the subject matter is at times really morbid. I would heartily recommend the book, it's probably the funniest non-fiction book I've ever read. Kylie will testify to that, she kept asking me what was so funny when I was reading the book at her house back in 2010 :D "Oh, it's just this book about cadavers, is all..." :D She also read and liked the book :yes: 

South Riding - Winifred Holtby

I'm curious about this... I'm only wondering what 'type' of book this is. Is it serious? I started thinking about Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling... Maybe I should just pick the book up myself and see what it's like. 

The Exit - Helen Fitzgerald

Catherine is in her early twenties, and right from the start of the book is portrayed as very aimless, shallow and vacant. For reasons that become clear later on, she is encouraged (well, practically forced) by her mother to take on a job in a local care home. There she meets Rose, an 82 year old who is suffering from dementia. Rose was a very well known children's book author back in the day.

Almost immediately, Rose starts confiding in Catherine that there is something sinister going on at the care home. She offers Catherine money to pass on messages to outsiders, and draws many pictures based on flashbacks she has, but because of her mental state she can't actually explain what is happening. Given that Rose often has no awareness of where she is, and is often reliving a tragedy in her past, Catherine cannot determine whether something untoward is actually going on.

I thought this was just ok. It has enough mystery to keep me interested, but it didn't really grab me. When the big reveal is made I thought it was a little silly and unlikely. Also, I disliked the ending; I found it far too ambiguous. I much preferred the author's other book The Cry, which just had more originality and depth to it.

3/6

Vacant :lol: That made me laugh out loud! Conjures up such interesting images and scenarios when you call a person or a character in a novel 'vacant' :D I like the premise of the book but as you didn't seem to enjoy it all that much, and have preferred another book by the same author, I might pass this one.... 

BB, lots of great reviews!  Just catching up on some of them. 

And.....we've agreed on many!  /shock and awe/  :P  :giggle2:

Hey, as long as it's not a three digit number... :giggle:

HEY!  And what, pray tell, is wrong with 3 digit increases.............??  :P  :hide:  :rolol:

HEY!  And what, pray tell, is wrong with 3 digit increases.............??  :P  :hide:  :rolol:

Well, it's too much a'plenty if one doesn't want to burden the TBR pile too fiercely with too many acquisitions... I ain't saying that in general, three digit numbers is bad when it comes to books :D 

This sounds interesting, it's going on my wishlist! :smile2: Have you read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach? It's also to do with bodies (duh), but it's to do with what happens to them after all is 'said and done'. Meaning, do they get buried or do they get opened for organ donations etc etc. The book is soooo funny! I mean it's written in a really funny way, which I personally think is fantastic, given that the subject matter is at times really morbid. I would heartily recommend the book, it's probably the funniest non-fiction book I've ever read.

I've read Stiff a couple of times, and loved it. Working Stiff is more of a clinical read, and I don't recall much (or any) humour in it. I don't mean it reads like a textbook, it's just that the author takes her job very seriously....and I guess because it is her current job she has to be a bit careful with what she writes and how she comes across. Also, her father committed suicide when she was very young, and she talks about it a lot in her book, especially when dealing with suicide cases.

I'm curious about this... I'm only wondering what 'type' of book this is. Is it serious? I started thinking about Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling... Maybe I should just pick the book up myself and see what it's like.

Hmmm, how to describe it? It's definitely a serious book, but not sure how to classify it.  It's a drama I suppose in a rural setting. "Rural drama".....is that a classification? :blush2::giggle2:

BB, lots of great reviews!  Just catching up on some of them. 

And.....we've agreed on many!  /shock and awe/  :P  :giggle2:

Thanks! About time we agree on some books! :boogie:

The Radleys - Matt Haig

This is the second book by Matt Haig I have read, and I'm pleased to say it didn't disappoint. The Radleys are a very unconventional family, living a reasonably normal life in a small village in England. I won't give away why they are different, but some very obvious and very humorous hints are dropped in the opening chapters and soon you realise what is different about them.

When the daughter, Clara is attacked, she fights back the only way she instinctively knows how, and from then on the family cannot hide from the truth.

The blurb about the book doesn't give much away but virtually all the reviews (even the official ones) on Amazon do. It's a shame, because I think the opening few chapters are much more interesting if you go into them blind like I did.

Overall I enjoyed this. It was quirky and different, with just the right amount of humour. It's very different to other books of it's genre, in that it's not taking itself too seriously and doesn't romanticise certain aspects.

Highly recommended.

4.5/6

The Year of Living Danishly: Uncovering The Secrets of the World's Happiest Country - Helen Russell

The author's husband was offered the opportunity to work at Lego in Denmark. After much discussion and 'to-ing and fro-ing', they both agreed to give it a chance, initially for only a year.

Information wise this was brilliant. I got a very good idea about what Denmark is like – it's culture, it's people, etc.. I don't have a particular interest in Denmark; my eye was caught by the subtitle “Uncovering the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country”, and that piqued my interest.

However, I didn't like the delivery. I mean, I really didn't like it. The author kept making jokes and very weak attempts at humour in virtually every paragraph (unfortunately, that is no exaggeration) and it wore thin rather rapidly. I don't know why she felt the need to try to be funny but it didn't work well at all. It was distracting and irritating! Leave the humour to Bill Bryson - who is actually genuinely funny - and just stick to the facts!! :banghead:

That aside, the book was very informative. It was roughly divided into a chapter for every month they were there, starting in January. Each chapter was about their life in that particular month, so they covered the seasons, and any festive holidays.

Recommended it if you are interested in other cultures, (even if you have no particular interest in Denmark).

5/6

I did enjoy The Humans by Matt Haig, but I dislike him as a person (based off what I've seen in tweets) so intently that I've kind of been put off reading any more by him. Maybe I should give The Radleys a go all the same, I'm curious as to why they're different!

Great review of The Radley's, Bobbly.  I enjoyed that one as well :D.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything personal about authors/actors,Noll, because it just spoils me and puts me off reading or watching them.  

I did enjoy The Humans by Matt Haig, but I dislike him as a person (based off what I've seen in tweets) so intently that I've kind of been put off reading any more by him. Maybe I should give The Radleys a go all the same, I'm curious as to why they're different!

I feel the same, Noll. I also don't like what I've read of his tweets. I do love The Humans.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know anything personal about authors/actors,Noll, because it just spoils me and puts me off reading or watching them.  

I agree! That's why I don't go out of my way to find lots of information about an author, usually.

Thanks for your views on The Radley's.  I hope to read it this year for a read a thon.  I'm glad for the heads up on the Amazon spoilers- I hate when they do that!

I hate that too :(.

I've read Stiff a couple of times, and loved it. Working Stiff is more of a clinical read, and I don't recall much (or any) humour in it. I don't mean it reads like a textbook, it's just that the author takes her job very seriously....and I guess because it is her current job she has to be a bit careful with what she writes and how she comes across. Also, her father committed suicide when she was very young, and she talks about it a lot in her book, especially when dealing with suicide cases.

Ah, you've read Stiff already! Sorry if I was supposed to know that and had forgotten :blush: It's such a great book! I don't mind more clinical reads, books don't have to be funny for me to enjoy them. It's going to be an interesting read, because as you say she seems to take her job seriously and I really enjoy seeing people being passionate about what they do. People need to have a passion for a certain something in their lives, in my opinion... Makes life a lot more enjoyable! Must've been hard on her what with her father committing suicide :( And her job will bring the memories back every now and then... She must be a tough cookie to be able to deal with it! In a good way, of course.

Hmmm, how to describe it? It's definitely a serious book, but not sure how to classify it.  It's a drama I suppose in a rural setting. "Rural drama".....is that a classification? :blush2::giggle2:

I like the sound of 'rural drama' :D If it wasn't a classification, it sure is now :D 

The Radleys - Matt Haig

I'm glad you enjoyed the novel! I'm curious, what did you think about the ending? Did you like it or dislike it? People seem to have rather mixed feelings about it. Or polarized views, more like it. 

The Year of Living Danishly: Uncovering The Secrets of the World's Happiest Country - Helen Russell

However, I didn't like the delivery. I mean, I really didn't like it. The author kept making jokes and very weak attempts at humour in virtually every paragraph (unfortunately, that is no exaggeration) and it wore thin rather rapidly. I don't know why she felt the need to try to be funny but it didn't work well at all. It was distracting and irritating! Leave the humour to Bill Bryson - who is actually genuinely funny - and just stick to the facts!! :banghead:

She must have a very poor editor and publishing team with very poor sense of humor! I mean even if she's the one behind the poor jokes, somebody should've caught on and told her to knock it off!

Poor Denmark, Denmark deserves better publicity! Or publicity that's not as poorly delivered!!