Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2015

Kylie

I always get excited when people post replies on my thread. :) I read them straight away with the intention to reply to them a little later if I'm busy, and before I know it six weeks have gone by. :o Sorry for my late replies!

That sounds great Kylie, and I'm so glad that you have been able to remain friendly with ex-boyf. 

You have a bigger impact on people than you imagine, so hearing that you were bought flowers last year, and that you have got the Production job is no surprise.  :smile:

It's hard being friends sometimes, but we're managing so far! :)

Thanks for your kind words, although I'm really only the production manager because no one else volunteered for the job.  :blush2: We have a good number of actors wanting to be in productions, but it can be a bit difficult to find enough backstage people sometimes.

Best of luck with the production role, sounds daunting but very rewarding :D

The theatre group sounds great, Kylie.  Like you, if I was to join any sort of organisation like this, I'd want a back stage role too, so I can imagine how horrifying it must have been to go out on stage for the presentation. :lurker::o  I'm glad you've enjoyed it so much, and everyone was so supportive of you, and you've been able to go back again and take part in another production.  I hope it all goes well for you, and be sure to tell us all about how Don't Dress for Dinner works out. :)

Your new theatre production role sounds great. You're so clever .. I am rubbish at keeping myself organised let alone a whole theatre production. They sound like a great bunch of people though and you are perfect for the job  :yes: 

Thank you all. :)

The shows start in a month. I feel like I really haven't had to do very much yet! I guess because my job is mostly making sure that everyone else is on top of their own stuff. We have production meetings every couple of weeks, but they'll get more frequent probably from next week. The closer we get, the busier we'll get, obviously! We still need to source some of our biggest props and put the whole set together. That will happen in a couple of weeks.

The first weekend of the show will be a big one for me, as we have opening night on the 8th of August and I'll be participating in the City2Surf (14 km walk) the next day.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on landing the production manager's position :D It sounds like a lot of fun, and I like it that it'll get you out of your comfort zone. You're so brave :smile2:

Sorry about the Gambit cover... :( But I have to agree, I think it's a beautiful cover. I know it's not the same because the edition's not the one you wanted, but I think it looks lovely anyway  :empathy:

Thanks. :) You know I generally like to stay home, but it's nice to go out and interact with people occasionally (not too often though! :P)

Ahh .. this is as I thought. It's the second book that's the problem. I should have kept the copy .. I'm going to have to get it again now  :blush2: I also tried to get it from eBay .. asked loads of sellers if the cover was correct (very annoyingly .. they use stock photographs) .. every seller replied that it wasn't .. they all had the copy that you and I received. Someone somewhere needs a kick in the pants for this!!! :D Will have to keep them peeled but if I ever find a source for them .. I'll get you a copy too :hug: 

Hope Murder on the Leviathan is correct Kylie :) 

I did indeed get the correct cover for Murder on the Leviathan. :D I'm half-seriously thinking of contacting the publisher directly to ask them about the cover for the other one! Thank you for thinking of me. And of course I'll get one for you too if I ever find it!

Let me add my congratulations on the Production Manager's job. Kudos to you. Where do you find all the time. How many of the Flavia books have you actually read.  She is such a delightful girl. Love her battles/retaliation :) with the sisters.

Thanks Muggles! I have a pretty chilled life, actually, so I have plenty of time to join the production. It just means even less time for reading. :(

I've only read one Flavia de Luce book so far (the first one). I plan on reading the second one very soon! I love how she plots against her sisters but it never seems to work out. :D

The first weekend of the show will be a big one for me, as we have opening night on the 8th of August and I'll be participating in the City2Surf (14 km walk) the next day.

Wow, that'll be a big weekend for you! I wish you good luck with both ventures :).

In other news, I'm having some work done to my house. :exc:

The carpet that was here when I moved in is dreadful. It's a kind of hard-wearing 'blah'-coloured carpet. I think it was chosen because the people who owned the place before me rented it out to short-term tenants. Since then, I've acquired a cat who is fond of throwing up on it, and nothing I do ever seems to fully get the stains out, so I've decided to do away with it and get laminate (wooden) flooring.

I can't wait to get it done, but of course there's a lot of work involved! I'm getting new flooring in my kitchen, dining room and lounge room. I had the kitchen tiles taken up last week, so now there's just the concrete base in my kitchen. I'm going to pull up the carpet myself to save a little money, but obviously I have to get everything out first. I've packed up all of my books downstairs and put them in the garage, and my ex is coming over tomorrow to help me move some of the larger pieces of furniture. Then I'll be able to start taking up the carpet.

I have a lot of 'junk' that was just laying around making my place look very messy, so I've decided that none of it will be coming back into the house from the garage until I've decided whether I really need it. If it comes back in, it has to have a box or something to go into. The books were actually the easiest things to pack, and they'll be the easiest to bring back in because I know exactly where they all have to go. I even took photos of all of my shelves beforehand so I can ensure they go back in exactly the same spots.  :blush2:

Lastly, I'm also going to replace my horrible skirting boards with some prettier ones (I think the flooring guys will do that for me) and then I'm going paint my lounge room all one colour (I haven't decided what colour, but it will be a shade of white or grey, probably). I haven't really done any home handiwork by myself before, so it will be interesting indeed! It's times like this that I really miss my Dad, because he would have come down to help move everything, and he would have painted, done the skirting and probably done the flooring as well. He was such a clever guy. :)

I always get excited when people post replies on my thread. :) I read them straight away with the intention to reply to them a little later if I'm busy, and before I know it six weeks have gone by. :o Sorry for my late replies!

I think that happens to us all at one time or other. :)

Good luck with the renovations.  Remember to take some 'before' shots so you can admire the transformation.  :)

Good luck with the renovations Kylie! It sounds amazing. I'd like to do something similar - the woman who owned our house before us had cream carpets with young children (?!) so they were a little grimy to begin with and our cat has also made a couple of messes so it needs to go at some point.

Bizarrely, the only carpet that isn't cream is the master bedroom, where the small children were surely least likely to make mess/drag in dirt. Tis a mystery!!

I always wanted to do City2surf but never got around to it before leaving Sydney :( Have a fun if busy weekend!!

Good luck with the renovations.  Remember to take some 'before' shots so you can admire the transformation.  :)

Thanks. :) I got a couple of before shots of my kitchen, but I forgot to do the rest before my ex started ripping up the carpet (see below)!

I asked my ex ('N') to spare a couple of hours on Thursday to help me move the bigger items of furniture. Then I was planning to spend most of the weekend pulling up the carpet etc. I figured I wouldn't have a chance to paint until after the flooring was done. So he came over at lunch time on Thursday and ended up staying until late evening. :o He wouldn't stop at the furniture but insisted on pulling up all of the carpet and underlay and removing my skirting boards and pulling up the horrid wooden boards that had been nailing the carpet down. He was incredible!! I was relegated to following him with a dustpan and broom to clean up. I felt terrible that he was working so hard, but he refused to stop. He reminded me of my Dad in that once he starts a project, he just won't stop until it's done (I never inherited my Dad's hard-working genes; I tend to work for an hour and then give myself the rest of the day off :blush2:). He literally saved me a full weekend of work. Then we went to Bunnings (biggest hardware chain in the country) and bought my new skirting boards, paint and other bits and bobs. But it doesn't end there.

At the end of the evening I thanked N profusely and said that I'd start painting tomorrow. Then he insisted that he and his son would be back the next day to start painting! He knew that I have a big editing job due on the morning that the workmen are arriving to install the flooring (I have no idea how I thought I'd get everything done by myself, but I thought I could!) He wanted me to be able to focus on that while they worked. I tried saying no again (because I felt so bad about taking up all of their time, and it's the second-last day of holidays for them both) but he's extremely stubborn. By lunchtime they had arrived, and by the time they left I had a first coat of paint on everything! All I had to do was provide lunch. :)

Again, I thanked them profusely and said that I would finish the rest myself, but N has again insisted on coming over tomorrow to help me finish it off. At this rate I'll be able to start moving furniture back in on Monday evening or Tuesday...and I thought it'd be another week or something! I'm so incredibly grateful. I've been rather overwhelmed by the whole process. I don't think I initially realised just how much work (or money *gulp*) would be involved, and it's more overwhelming when you live by yourself and don't really know what you're doing. In the past my Dad would have done absolutely everything for me (he was a helluva handyman), and I took that for granted. Dad would have been so proud of N for doing all of this for me. On his deathbed he specifically asked N to look after me. Aw. :(

Good luck with the renovations Kylie! It sounds amazing. I'd like to do something similar - the woman who owned our house before us had cream carpets with young children (?!) so they were a little grimy to begin with and our cat has also made a couple of messes so it needs to go at some point.

Bizarrely, the only carpet that isn't cream is the master bedroom, where the small children were surely least likely to make mess/drag in dirt. Tis a mystery!!

I always wanted to do City2surf but never got around to it before leaving Sydney :( Have a fun if busy weekend!!

Ha, definitely a mystery! I'd certainly never get cream carpet with children around!

Good luck with the renovations!!

Thanks Athena. About halfway through now!

Hey, I had a dream about you last night! I went to visit you at your house. You were living with your mum and dad (who were really nice) and a slightly older sister (who was really nice, but you didn't get along with her). :) I think there was a really good-looking brother too.  :blush2: You took me sight-seeing around your town. And then I was looking at a map and trying to work out how far Frankie lived from you so I could go and visit her. :D

Hope the renovations go well! :boogie: I love and hate renovations. Sometimes I get halfway through, and just wish I'd never started. :doh:

I know the feeling! I guess mine is pretty small as renovations go, but my whole downstairs area looks perfectly hideous right now. The walls are half-painted and the concrete foundations are all exposed, and because it's winter here, the surface is freezing to walk on. My TV is disconnected and the only lounge I left in the room is covered in a drop sheet, so I've decided to just stay in my bedroom for the next couple of days and only venture down there for food and drink. :hide: Oh, and to do some painting later. It's warmer in bed anyway!  :cold:

Wow! I read about your Home Improvement project (I wish one could hire Jonathan Taylor Thomas... :wub::giggle:) and then kabooooom so much stuff is done already! N's done really well, hats off to him. :yes: Can't wait to see some pictures! :D 

Hey, I had a dream about you last night! I went to visit you at your house. You were living with your mum and dad (who were really nice) and a slightly older sister (who was really nice, but you didn't get along with her). :) I think there was a really good-looking brother too.  :blush2: You took me sight-seeing around your town. And then I was looking at a map and trying to work out how far Frankie lived from you so I could go and visit her. :D

I am glad that I was included! There's no way you'll travel to Europe and not meet me!! :D 

Wow! I read about your Home Improvement project (I wish one could hire Jonathan Taylor Thomas... :wub::giggle:) and then kabooooom so much stuff is done already! N's done really well, hats off to him. :yes: Can't wait to see some pictures! :D

Yeah, if I didn't have help it would have taken me another week just to decide what colour to paint the wall, and then at least another week to do it all! Thank goodness not everyone's as indecisive or lazy as me.  :blush2: 

I am glad that I was included! There's no way you'll travel to Europe and not meet me!! :D

:giggle2:  I woke up and thought 'Thank goodness I dreamed about Frankie too, or she'd be annoyed that I dreamed about someone else and not her!'  :lol: And then I thought 'Typical Frankie to get in on my dreams of other BCF members!'  :P

Yeah, if I didn't have help it would have taken me another week just to decide what colour to paint the wall, and then at least another week to do it all! Thank goodness not everyone's as indecisive or lazy as me.  :blush2:

:empathy:   I can relate re: the lazy + indecisive part :blush: I wish I could be there to help you! :smile2: It would be fun! Remember how we put together that bookshelf? And took off that door? :D

:giggle2:  I woke up and thought 'Thank goodness I dreamed about Frankie too, or she'd be annoyed that I dreamed about someone else and not her!'  :lol: And then I thought 'Typical Frankie to get in on my dreams of other BCF members!'  :P

:lol: Yes, I'm annoying that way :D :D Wait a minute... Oi!!! :o

:D  :friends3:

Edited by frankie

:lol:

I wish I could be there to help you! :smile2: It would be fun! Remember how we put together that bookshelf? And took off that door? :D

It would be fun indeed!

The bookcase we put together is still going strong, but that bloomin' door is the bane of my existence!  :banghead: I never got rid of it and it just gets moved around the house from one place to another. It's always in the way! I'll post a pic of my garage later to show how it's full of all my downstairs stuff, and you'll see the door there, getting in the way as usual. I've been thinking of putting it on a local classifieds site for a few dollars, or even for free. Surely someone out there can take it off my hands!

:lol:The bookcase we put together is still going strong, but that bloomin' door is the bane of my existence!  :banghead: I never got rid of it and it just gets moved around the house from one place to another. It's always in the way! I'll post a pic of my garage later to show how it's full of all my downstairs stuff, and you'll see the door there, getting in the way as usual. I've been thinking of putting it on a local classifieds site for a few dollars, or even for free. Surely someone out there can take it off my hands!

Poor door! :D Why don't you put it outside in the courtyard. Use is as a surface. Put some tiles down on both sides and set it up as a table, and put flower pots on it. Or somefink! :)

Edit: Put it in the guest bathroom :D My bathroom!! 

Edit: Oh I mean the toilet! 

Edited by frankie

Wow, N is being so helpful! That's so nice :)!! I'm glad progress is going really well. Will you be posting photos of when things are done? I've never seen a photo of your book shelves before, I'd love to see some :blush2:.

This is totally awesome :D!! I am honoured to have been in your dreams :). I've dreamt about people from BCF before, but I wasn't sure if it wouldn't sound weird if I posted about it, so it's possible you may have been in one of my dreams earlier this year :) (I can't quite remember who was in it and who wasn't :blush2:).

Haha Kylie, I had a dream about you last night :D I was visiting you and we were upstairs and you had two big bookcases there, covering on whole wall and it was where you kept your children's books and YA and there was loads of books :wub:  (Can't remember much about the dream. The next thing I remember was that I got all the seasons of Dexter for myself and I was so psyched about starting to watch the show!! :D)

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you put it outside in the courtyard. Use is as a surface. Put some tiles down on both sides and set it up as a table, and put flower pots on it. Or somefink! :)

Hmm, that's not a bad idea!

Wow, N is being so helpful! That's so nice :)!! I'm glad progress is going really well. Will you be posting photos of when things are done? I've never seen a photo of your book shelves before, I'd love to see some :blush2:.

Yes, I'll post some pics at some stage. I've only partially moved stuff in and things are a bit messy, but I'll try to clean it up a bit and take some pics. :) It looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!  :blush2:

Haha Kylie, I had a dream about you last night :D I was visiting you and we were upstairs and you had two big bookcases there, covering on whole wall and it was where you kept your children's books and YA and there was loads of books :wub:  (Can't remember much about the dream. The next thing I remember was that I got all the seasons of Dexter for myself and I was so psyched about starting to watch the show!! :D)

Hehe. :)

Wow, how lovely of N.   :)

Yes, it was!

My Mum is in town for a week so we've been busy. We booked a holiday to New Zealand for later this year (three weeks in late October/early November). We're so excited to go. :) Neither of us has been before.

Yesterday we went to Sydney for the day. We had lunch at Jamie's Italian (Jamie Oliver's restaurant) and then went book shopping. :) I've been pretty good lately so I decided to splurge a bit as a reward. :D I had a gift voucher and some reward points, so it didn't cost too much. My purchases:

Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London #5: Foxglove Summer

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #5: Special Assignments

Ernest Cline Ready Player One

Andrey Kurkov The Gardener from Ochakov

Andrey Kurkov The Milkman in the Night

I thought I'd take a picture of my books, and as I was getting ready, Jasper woke up and stood up, so I thought I'd get him in the picture. Here he is, half asleep:  :wub:

post-3835-0-57958500-1437508695_thumb.png

I'm very happy with my purchases (although I would have been just a bit happier if they'd had Penguin Lost by Kurkov, as that's the next one of his that I really want to read). And I was thrilled to find Akunin's books in the store, as I haven't seen them in shops before. And Kay, look! The evil Turkish Gambit cover is everywhere! I've just sent the publishers an email and (nicely) demanded to know why I can't find the 'correct' cover anywhere. I hope I get an answer! (By the way, after I took the photo I moved The Winter Queen so it was before TTG. I didn't fix the rest, but I think they're mostly in the wrong order.)

post-3835-0-97776200-1437508869_thumb.jpg

After the bookshop we went to Adriano Zumbo's and bought some cakes (one of the meringues is for N).

post-3835-0-75892000-1437509357_thumb.jpg post-3835-0-44310000-1437509370_thumb.jpg

All in all, a great day! :D

So, after getting home from a lovely but tiring day, I was relaxing on the lounge when I looked up and noticed Jasper sitting on top one of my large bookcases. The bookcase is empty at the moment and not bolted to the wall since we moved it back in after my renovation. We left it like that because I haven't yet decided on their final location (I've rearranged the room again). Jasper got up there once before and I noticed it moving a little too much for my liking, but then he jumped off and everything was fine. But last night as I went to get up (slowly, so as not to alarm Jasper), he jumped off anyway and the entire bookcase came crashing down after him (he's fine). :( What's worse is that this was one of my bookcases with glass doors, and of course it went down face first. There was nothing I could do except watch it fall heavily onto my nice new floors. I thought for sure there'd be a massive mess from the broken glass, but it didn't break! Who says IKEA doesn't make good-quality stuff?! Better still, it looks like no damage has been done to my floor!

I managed to lift it up and place it back against the wall (the bookcase alone is quite heavy, but the addition of two glass doors makes it much, much heavier) but I noticed that it wouldn't stand upright by itself again. I'm not quite sure why. There's a large crack in the wood on one side (it's worse than it looks in the below pic), but everything else seems to be OK. N is going to come over today and bolt all the bookcases to the wall. In the meantime I've laid the bookcase on the floor so it can't tip over. I hope it will be usable again once we bolt it to the wall. :(

post-3835-0-68219900-1437510145_thumb.jpg

Oh, and there's my new flooring and a bit of my painted wall in the background. :)

I'm so glad Jasper is okay! I hope the book case will be okay too :(. Such a nice photo of Jasper with your books :). I hope you enjoy your new reads. The floor looks nice! I'm curious, was it nice in Jamie's Italian? I've watched him in cooking shows and I have some of his cooking books, is the food any good?