Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2015

Kylie

A few bookish updates.

I finally received Johanna Basford's Enchanted Forest in the mail this morning. I had to wait for it to be reprinted; it's been sold out everywhere over here. It's another gorgeous book. :)

I somehow managed to order four more of Boris Akunin's Erast Fandorin books.  :blush2: I still haven't read the first one, but I've read enough snippets to know that I love the writing style and I'm certain I'll love the plot just as much. Given Poppyshake's recent traumatic experience with ordering a book from the series (sorry to bring it up :empathy:), I'm rather worried about whether I'll receive the books with the covers I really want. :( But I can only wait and see. Actually, part of the reason I ordered them is because I'm worried that the longer I wait, the less chance there is that I'll get the covers I want. If these three books arrive as ordered, I'll probably jump in and buy the rest (another three or four) straight away.

And another online book site is having a sale, so I'm planning to order three more books in Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series.  :blush2: That will be the last of my purchases for a while, hopefully!

In the meantime, I've been reading Voltaire's Candide and MRC Kasasian's The Mangle Street Murders, which are both going very well.

Lastly, I found a small book badge that I lost a while ago, so I'm very happy. The badge says 'I'd rather be reading'. :D

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I somehow managed to order four more of Boris Akunin's Erast Fandorin books.  :blush2: I still haven't read the first one, but I've read enough snippets to know that I love the writing style and I'm certain I'll love the plot just as much. Given Poppyshake's recent traumatic experience with ordering a book from the series (sorry to bring it up :empathy:), I'm rather worried about whether I'll receive the books with the covers I really want. :( But I can only wait and see. Actually, part of the reason I ordered them is because I'm worried that the longer I wait, the less chance there is that I'll get the covers I want. If these three books arrive as ordered, I'll probably jump in and buy the rest (another three or four) straight away.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get the covers you want!

In the meantime, I've been reading Voltaire's Candide and MRC Kasasian's The Mangle Street Murders, which are both going very well.

Candide's one of a kind, innit? :D 

Lastly, I found a small book badge that I lost a while ago, so I'm very happy. The badge says 'I'd rather be reading'. :D

I guess the badge was bored of being a mere badge and went on a reading binge :D 

I can't believe the online sellers won't guarantee a specific cover for a book - you offer a book, you show us the cover, we click on it, you send it - how hard can it be? :shrug:  Hope you get the nice covers, Kylie. :)

I bought the second of the MRC Kasasian's The Mangle Street Murders series on the Kindle Daily Deal, but haven't got the first yet, but I've heard so many good things about it, 99p was too good a deal to miss. :D  I know Kay was going to give me the first book, but I'm not sure when that'll be and now I've got the second book waiting … well, let's just say patience isn't a virtue I succeed at often. :giggle2:

Candide's one of a kind, innit? :D

It certainly is! It's great. :D I must say that I haven't made much progress though. :blush2: Part of the reason is that I'm sort of reading two different versions. I have an ebook on my computer, which I have in the background so I can randomly switch to it when I need (want) a break from work. I don't know...it's just sort of comforting having it available on my computer, even if the book itself is right next to me.  :blush2: Anyway, I noticed straight away that the translations are different, so I've been a bit distracted by comparing them. I try not to, but sometimes I read a particular phrase and think 'I wonder if it was translated the same way in the other one?' so then I have to stop and check. My reading has been very stop and start! Also, in many ways the ebook is much better because it has many footnotes that explain historical events, historical figures and customs etc. I'm so glad I have this version, because I'd be missing out on a lot otherwise!

I guess the badge was bored of being a mere badge and went on a reading binge :D

I wish! But I'm afraid it was actually stuck in the bottom of a bag that I took to the last book fair in Canberra. :( (I wore it while browsing at the book fair. :D)

Thanks, Kylie :). I hope you enjoy all your new books and that they come with the covers you want :).

Thanks Athena. :) 

I can't believe the online sellers won't guarantee a specific cover for a book - you offer a book, you show us the cover, we click on it, you send it - how hard can it be? :shrug:  Hope you get the nice covers, Kylie. :)

I know, right?! It must be some sort of tech-related thing. Maybe a publisher updates a cover in a database somewhere when they're doing a new printing and it flows through to online sites, but those sites still have the old version in stock and continue to send out the old one until they're all gone. That's my theory, anyway. ;) I may have given this too much thought.  :blush2: 

I bought the second of the MRC Kasasian's The Mangle Street Murders series on the Kindle Daily Deal, but haven't got the first yet, but I've heard so many good things about it, 99p was too good a deal to miss. :D  I know Kay was going to give me the first book, but I'm not sure when that'll be and now I've got the second book waiting … well, let's just say patience isn't a virtue I succeed at often. :giggle2:

Oh! I could have sworn it was you that read it first and then recommended it to Kay! I thought I was buying it based on a couple of recommendations, but apparently it was only based on one. :D I generally hate to recommend specific books to specific people because I'm terrified I'll get it wrong...BUT I really think you'll enjoy The Mangle Street Murders (every time I type 'Mangle' my autocorrect changes it to 'Mange' :banghead:). 

I ordered the second book the other day.  :blush2:

I'm glad to hear you think Candide is great :D And no matter about not making much progress so far... You've been switching back and forth between two different editions! You've been looking into the footnotes and stuff, that must be really fascinating. I tell you, when I heard you'd started reading the book, I was like, I want to go and borrow the book so I can read it with you!!! (But I've been absorbed in uni stuff lately :rolleyes:

Another thing came to mind: some days ago when I didn't know what to read, I did pick up Rebecca from the shelf and thought I'd give it another try because you only just read it. But again, I couldn't get into it :( I wonder if I might find the English original better. Don't worry, I've not given up on it, I definitely want to read it some day, but my mojo wasn't having any of it this time :( 

I'm glad to hear you think Candide is great :D And no matter about not making much progress so far... You've been switching back and forth between two different editions! You've been looking into the footnotes and stuff, that must be really fascinating. I tell you, when I heard you'd started reading the book, I was like, I want to go and borrow the book so I can read it with you!!! (But I've been absorbed in uni stuff lately :rolleyes:)

It's probably just as well you didn't borrow it because you would have been able to read it 10 times in the time that it has taken me to read two-thirds of it.  :giggle2:

Another thing came to mind: some days ago when I didn't know what to read, I did pick up Rebecca from the shelf and thought I'd give it another try because you only just read it. But again, I couldn't get into it :( I wonder if I might find the English original better. Don't worry, I've not given up on it, I definitely want to read it some day, but my mojo wasn't having any of it this time :(

Aw, that's a shame. :( But I'm glad to hear you haven't given up on it completely. As you said, maybe an English version might be better, and I'm sure your library would have a copy. :)

A bit off-topic and long, but it's a bit bookish, and it's exciting news.

Some of you might remember that I worked on a production of 12 Angry Men with a local(ish) theatre group last year. I had never done anything like it before, but my (now ex) BF introduced me to it. He's been in several plays and is the vice president of the group. 12 Angry Men was the first play he has ever directed, and I got on board as the stage manager. It was about the easiest gig you could imagine, because I only had to make sure there were 12 men ready to go on stage with a couple of props (it was quite a squeeze backstage, and the stage itself is relatively small, so it was actually a tricky production to stage!). Once they were on, they never came off again, so I didn't have to do too much (I just sat backstage and used a torch to read a book :D).

I remember mentioning the play here around the time rehearsals were on, but I don't think I ever mentioned how it went. The night before opening night, I found out my Dad was in hospital, so I ended up missing the first performance to be with my family, but I returned for the last few shows. I had bought Mum and Dad tickets for the show but they obviously couldn't go and I remember being quite sad to see their two empty seats in the theatre (my ex didn't resell them out of respect for my family...aww). Anyway, the show went really well and most of the performances were sold out. Everyone was full of praise for it. Just after I closed the curtain on the last performance (I was always terrified I'd pull the wrong cord and stuff it up :blush2:), another member of the theatre group showed up next to me with flowers. I thought she was going to present them on stage to her partner (who was the main 'good guy' in the show) during the curtain call but it turned out that they were for me, and I had to go out on stage amid the bright lights and applause and accept them. I was mortified but appreciative.  :blush2:

I should have posted all of this last year, but I got caught up in my Dad's illness and everything that came after it. :( All of the people in the theatre group were so, so supportive during that difficult time. There were lots of hugs and concerned questions whenever I turned up, especially from the 'angry men'. :) They were all so good to me.

Fast forward a year...My partner and I broke up at the beginning of the year, but we're still friends and see each other occasionally. I didn't want to have to end my association with the theatre group, and he didn't want me to leave either. In fact, we're still planning to work together to stage his next play in 2016, The 39 Steps, which I'm beyond excited about.

But back to the present...The theatre group is now starting its second production of the year (they do three every year). The first production was Oklahoma!, which I saw on Saturday night. It was fab! Four of the guys from 12 Angry Men were in it, so I caught up with them all afterwards (plus another, who was working front of house). They were all happy to see me, which was lovely (I have very few friends, so when someone looks happy to see me, it's quite a novelty! :blush2:) I had heard that the director of the second production, Don't Dress for Dinner, was still looking for a production manager. I wasn't sure what the job entailed, but I decided to volunteer for it anyway. :D I went to the first rehearsal last night and met the cast and crew (a few of whom I already know, and several new faces). Everyone seems nice, and I'm really looking forward to it. It turns out the production manager has a rather large role. I have to basically take care of all of the administrative tasks so the director can just focus on directing. I need to organise programs, costumes, set construction, bookings, publicity, catering, front of house, props, sound, lighting etc. There'll be lots of talking to other people and asking for things, which is well outside of my comfort zone, but I'm pumped and ready to go! :D Everyone is ridiculously friendly and helpful, so I'm not worried at all. If I get stuck on anything, there are plenty of people to turn to for advice. :) Rehearsals are Mondays and Wednesdays, with performances starting in early August. The next two months are going to fly by!

I'm glad the theatre people were so supportive of you during those difficult times.

This is very exciting news :)! I hope you will have a lot of fun.

I enjoyed reading about what the theatre production entails, so please do post about your experiences once you start being the production manager :), if you have the time :P. I'm happy for you :friends0:.

Great reviews of the Millenium Trilogy.....I loved them too. :)

Also glad to hear of the footnotes in the e-book of Candide. Very helpful.

Thanks Kate. :)

I love that the footnotes help place things in a historical context. If they weren't there, I might not have realised that certain references to events and people were real and not fictional (like the earthquakes). On several occasions so far, Voltaire has had a character make a negative comment about someone in the course of a conversation. When I turned to the footnotes, I learnt that the people being made fun of were enemies of Voltaire. So this is his revenge.  :giggle2: Here's an example:

"But what say you to the archdeacon T-'s miscellaneous collection," said the abbe.

"Oh my God!" cried the Marchioness of Parolignac, "never mention the tedious creature! Only think what pains he is at to tell one things that all the world knows; and how he labors an argument that is hardly worth the slightest consideration! how absurdly he makes use of other people's wit! how miserably he mangles what he has pilfered from them! The man makes me quite sick! A few pages of the good archdeacon are enough in conscience to satisfy anyone."

According to the footnote, Nicholas-Charles-Joseph Trublet was the editor of the Journal Chrétien and 'another' enemy of Voltaire. :D

That sounds great Kylie, and I'm so glad that you have been able to remain friendly with ex-boyf. 

You have a bigger impact on people than you imagine, so hearing that you were bought flowers last year, and that you have got the Production job is no surprise.  :smile:

The theatre group sounds great, Kylie.  Like you, if I was to join any sort of organisation like this, I'd want a back stage role too, so I can imagine how horrifying it must have been to go out on stage for the presentation. :lurker::o  I'm glad you've enjoyed it so much, and everyone was so supportive of you, and you've been able to go back again and take part in another production.  I hope it all goes well for you, and be sure to tell us all about how Don't Dress for Dinner works out. :)

I know, right?! It must be some sort of tech-related thing. Maybe a publisher updates a cover in a database somewhere when they're doing a new printing and it flows through to online sites, but those sites still have the old version in stock and continue to send out the old one until they're all gone. That's my theory, anyway. ;) I may have given this too much thought.  :blush2: 

Oh! I could have sworn it was you that read it first and then recommended it to Kay! I thought I was buying it based on a couple of recommendations, but apparently it was only based on one. :D I generally hate to recommend specific books to specific people because I'm terrified I'll get it wrong...BUT I really think you'll enjoy The Mangle Street Murders (every time I type 'Mangle' my autocorrect changes it to 'Mange' :banghead:). 

I ordered the second book the other day.  :blush2:

:D Steve recommended it first .. I got it after reading his review. Glad to hear you're enjoying it Kylie :) 

*yells* Claire! Let me know when you have a free day as your pile is getting bigger and bigger! :D

Very interested to see what book covers you get for the Fandorin series Kylie .. fingers crossed they're the right ones. I'm resigned now to reading the second one with the wrong cover (bother!! why did I send it back :blush2: ) and then hope I have better luck with the subsequent books. I can always look for the second one with the right cover in my own time (but all enquiries have led to dead ends so far :( )

Your new theatre production role sounds great. You're so clever .. I am rubbish at keeping myself organised let alone a whole theatre production. They sound like a great bunch of people though and you are perfect for the job  :yes: 

A bird whispered to me You wrote in another thread about new books, I want to know :D.

:giggle2: Sorry Gaia! :D

Yesterday I went to pick up a package for my Mum at the post office and found two Agatha Christie books that I don't have:

At Bertram's Hotel

The Big Four

Today I received a package in the mail with two books for Mum (by Jeffery Deaver) and two by Alan Bradley for me, and I should be receiving a third book by Alan Bradley tomorrow:

Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce #4: I Am Half-Sick of Shadows

Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce #5: Speaking from Among the Bones

Alan Bradley Flavia de Luce #6: The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches

I now have all of this series except for the most recent book, but I have to wait at least a couple of months for that to be released in the edition I want. Oh, and I have to replace the first book in the series because it doesn't match the rest.  :blush2:

In other bookish news, I spent some time on the weekend going through my books and culling some. I gave four or five to my Mum and filled two bags to take to a bookshop, and started a third bag for books to donate to charity. About half were books I've read but didn't like enough to keep, and the rest are books I've decided I won't be reading any time soon. They were all easy choices to make, so I didn't have to try too hard. At some stage I need to go through them again and be more ruthless.

:D Steve recommended it first .. I got it after reading his review. Glad to hear you're enjoying it Kylie :) 

I bought the first one on Kindle yesterday … couldn't resist it any longer! :D

*yells* Claire! Let me know when you have a free day as your pile is getting bigger and bigger! :D

At least you can take the two Mangle Street Murders off the pile now! :giggle2:

I received four more books in the mail today: the Alan Bradley book, which I mentioned yesterday, and three by Boris Akunin. These were the ones I was worried about re the cover. Ready for the big reveal? This is what I ordered:

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #2: The Turkish Gambit

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #4: The Death of Achilles
Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #8: She Lover of Death

post-3835-0-39927100-1432772190_thumb.png post-3835-0-03185300-1432772207_thumb.png post-3835-0-65443300-1432772216_thumb.png

And this is what I received:

post-3835-0-56375700-1432771783_thumb.png

Two out of three were correct. I don't know whether to be happy that two were correct or sad that one was wrong. I guess I'll be happy. :) I don't actually mind the cover of The Turkish Gambit, but the one I ordered is nicer (IMO) and of course it would have matched the rest. I don't think I'll bother contacting the Book Depository about it. Kay didn't have any luck with Amazon, after all (Kay, is this the same book you had problems with?), so I may as well wait and see if I can find it elsewhere at a later stage.

I still have one more book by Boris Akunin on the way (Erast Fandorin #3: Murder on the Leviathan). I ordered it from a different online store (one that I haven't used before), because it was the only store that even showed the cover I wanted. I had to pay several more dollars for it, so I'll be very disappointed if it's the wrong cover. And it's shipping from the UK, so I think there's still a 50/50 chance of getting the right cover. <sigh>

New books :D! I hope you enjoy them all! It's great you got two out of three covers correct, shame it's not all of them but I'm glad at least two of them have a great cover :). I hope the one you ordered from the different online shop has the cover you wanted!

It's probably just as well you didn't borrow it because you would have been able to read it 10 times in the time that it has taken me to read two-thirds of it.  :giggle2:

:lol: Or I would've struggled getting into it what with poor mojo and would've felt bad about not keeping up with you :blush:

Aw, that's a shame. :( But I'm glad to hear you haven't given up on it completely. As you said, maybe an English version might be better, and I'm sure your library would have a copy. :)

There are bound to be English copies of the book, for sure! :yes: Some day...

Congratulations on landing the production manager's position :D It sounds like a lot of fun, and I like it that it'll get you out of your comfort zone. You're so brave :smile2:

Sorry about the Gambit cover... :( But I have to agree, I think it's a beautiful cover. I know it's not the same because the edition's not the one you wanted, but I think it looks lovely anyway  :empathy:

I received four more books in the mail today: the Alan Bradley book, which I mentioned yesterday, and three by Boris Akunin. These were the ones I was worried about re the cover. Ready for the big reveal? This is what I ordered:

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #2: The Turkish Gambit

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #4: The Death of Achilles

Boris Akunin Erast Fandorin #8: She Lover of Death

And this is what I received:

attachicon.gifNew Books.png

Two out of three were correct. I don't know whether to be happy that two were correct or sad that one was wrong. I guess I'll be happy. :) I don't actually mind the cover of The Turkish Gambit, but the one I ordered is nicer (IMO) and of course it would have matched the rest. I don't think I'll bother contacting the Book Depository about it. Kay didn't have any luck with Amazon, after all (Kay, is this the same book you had problems with?), so I may as well wait and see if I can find it elsewhere at a later stage.

I still have one more book by Boris Akunin on the way (Erast Fandorin #3: Murder on the Leviathan). I ordered it from a different online store (one that I haven't used before), because it was the only store that even showed the cover I wanted. I had to pay several more dollars for it, so I'll be very disappointed if it's the wrong cover. And it's shipping from the UK, so I think there's still a 50/50 chance of getting the right cover. <sigh>

Ahh .. this is as I thought. It's the second book that's the problem. I should have kept the copy .. I'm going to have to get it again now  :blush2: I also tried to get it from eBay .. asked loads of sellers if the cover was correct (very annoyingly .. they use stock photographs) .. every seller replied that it wasn't .. they all had the copy that you and I received. Someone somewhere needs a kick in the pants for this!!! :D Will have to keep them peeled but if I ever find a source for them .. I'll get you a copy too :hug: 

Hope Murder on the Leviathan is correct Kylie :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Let me add my congratulations on the Production Manager's job. Kudos to you. Where do you find all the time. How many of the Flavia books have you actually read.  She is such a delightful girl. Love her battles/retaliation :) with the sisters.