Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2015

Kylie

Nightingale was written by Kristin Hannah. It is the number 1 best seller in historical women's fiction on Amazon. It is also my wife's favorite book read this year.

Glad to see you are reading the second in the Girl Who Played With Fire trilogy. It is one of my favorite trilogies. I envy you that you have the second and third yet to read. It begs for a fourth book.....but then, it wouldn't be a Trilogy. :)

I know you will like One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing. Hmmm, I may have to put another Fforde on soon to read list. :)

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(For anyone who doesn't know, I did actually name my cat after Jasper Fforde. :D)

We were in a pet store recently and met a Boxer.  My mom asked what his name was and the woman said his name was Clive.  And just joking my mom says "Oh, I like in Barker?" and the woman said Yes!  I couldn't believe it (I have an enormous Clive Barker collection that my mom has moved countless times and has even met him!).

(For anyone who doesn't know, I did actually name my cat after Jasper Fforde. :D)

Sorry I missed this when I posted earlier today. That is awesome :D!

We were in a pet store recently and met a Boxer.  My mom asked what his name was and the woman said his name was Clive.  And just joking my mom says "Oh, I like in Barker?" and the woman said Yes!  I couldn't believe it (I have an enormous Clive Barker collection that my mom has moved countless times and has even met him!).

That is awesome too :D!

Glad you liked Rebecca - definitely one of my all time favourites as well.

Also quite jealous you still have books 2 and 3 of The Millennium Trilogy to go! I loved all of them, and put off the third for ages because I didn't want it to end.

I'm glad you really liked Rebecca so much :)! Thanks for telling me about your favourites, I shall look them all up :). I hope you enjoy the Millennium books, I have them on my TBR. I hope you enjoy your new books :D! I hope you enjoy the Jasper Fforde book :) I have a couple of them on my TBR.

Thanks Athena. :) I think you'll enjoy both the Stieg Larsson and Jasper Fforde books. Have you read much in the crime genre before? I don't remember seeing it pop up too much on your reading lists. Jasper Fforde is a clever writer with an awesome imagination. :)

Rebecca is a great book - as is just about everything Du Maurier wrote IMO - glad you liked it!

Thanks Ian! I think I'd like to read Jamaica Inn next, and I also have a collection of her short stories (The Birds). I thought I'd given Mum an old copy of Rebecca that I had as a spare, but I checked her bookcases the other day and apparently I gave her Julius and another one (I think it was My Cousin Rachel). I don't know why I gave them to her! It must have been a moment of weakness when I was feeling guilty about the size of my TBR pile. I guess I'll have to borrow them back from her now!

Nightingale was written by Kristin Hannah. It is the number 1 best seller in historical women's fiction on Amazon. It is also my wife's favorite book read this year.

Glad to see you are reading the second in the Girl Who Played With Fire trilogy. It is one of my favorite trilogies. I envy you that you have the second and third yet to read. It begs for a fourth book.....but then, it wouldn't be a Trilogy. :)

I know you will like One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing. Hmmm, I may have to put another Fforde on soon to read list. :)

Thanks Muggles. I ended up looking up Nightingale and it's certainly getting good reviews!

Did you know that a fourth Millennium book is going to be published this year? I can't remember at the moment who will be writing it. I suppose time will tell whether it will be as good as the original three books that Larsson wrote.

I was looking up when I last read something by Fforde, and it has been years! I'm well overdue for a read.

Clever Mum! :D

Sorry I missed this when I posted earlier today. That is awesome :D!

Thanks. :D It was actually Abby's idea. I put out a request on Facebook at the time to ask for suggestions for literary-type names. One friend suggested Mr Darcy and Abby suggested Jasper. I really liked both, but I tried 'Jasper' out first, and it seemed to suit him. I might reserve Mr Darcy (or just Darcy) for another cat in the future. ;) The other friend (a girl I used to work with) has a cat named Boo (after Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird). :)

Now Abby has a beautiful cat named Winny, and I'm wondering whether I 'stole' the name Jasper from her, because I knew she had always liked the name for a cat. :(

And I hope you enjoy the second Millennium book - it's a fantastic series, isn't it? Lisbeth Salander reminds me of Chloe O'Brian from the TV series 24.  :)

Yep. I'd forgotten how good it is! And ooh, yes, she does remind me a bit of Chloe (but a bit darker and maybe even more sullen!)

Also quite jealous you still have books 2 and 3 of The Millennium Trilogy to go! I loved all of them, and put off the third for ages because I didn't want it to end.

Thanks Alexi. I'm trying to savour them, but it'll be a bit sad when I get to the end and know there are no more to read (well, not by Stieg, anyway).

So much for me trying to read the second Millennium book along with my Mum. She finished it today and I'm only about 12 per cent through, according to my Kindle app. Mum has now started the third book!

Thanks Athena. :) I think you'll enjoy both the Stieg Larsson and Jasper Fforde books. Have you read much in the crime genre before? I don't remember seeing it pop up too much on your reading lists. Jasper Fforde is a clever writer with an awesome imagination. :)

I read a lot in the crime genre when I was a teenager, but nowadays much less so to be honest. I still enjoy it every once in a while, I think about 10% of my reading this year so far has been in the genre (I call it 'detective' and 'thriller', because that's what we use in Dutch.). I would like to read those books eventually (that's why I bought them), but they don't have an as high priority on my list as some other books. Also, with Jasper Fforde I'm worried I will like the three books I have so much, that I will want to buy the rest in the series, which I can't afford really :D.

Thanks. :D It was actually Abby's idea. I put out a request on Facebook at the time to ask for suggestions for literary-type names. One friend suggested Mr Darcy and Abby suggested Jasper. I really liked both, but I tried 'Jasper' out first, and it seemed to suit him. I might reserve Mr Darcy (or just Darcy) for another cat in the future. ;) The other friend (a girl I used to work with) has a cat named Boo (after Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird). :)

Now Abby has a beautiful cat named Winny, and I'm wondering whether I 'stole' the name Jasper from her, because I knew she had always liked the name for a cat. :(

Darcy sounds good too :D, and Winny is a great name as well, as is Boo :). The Abby you mean is the same one that's here on this forum? I hope she won't mind that you did that :(. I haven't seen her much around here lately, I hope she is okay.

I read a lot in the crime genre when I was a teenager, but nowadays much less so to be honest. I still enjoy it every once in a while, I think about 10% of my reading this year so far has been in the genre (I call it 'detective' and 'thriller', because that's what we use in Dutch.). I would like to read those books eventually (that's why I bought them), but they don't have an as high priority on my list as some other books. Also, with Jasper Fforde I'm worried I will like the three books I have so much, that I will want to buy the rest in the series, which I can't afford really :D.

Hehe. I know what you mean! I put off reading Terry Pratchett for years because I was afraid I'd like the Discworld series and want to buy them all. Eventually I gave in... and now I've bought them all!  :blush2:

Darcy sounds good too :D, and Winny is a great name as well, as is Boo :). The Abby you mean is the same one that's here on this forum? I hope she won't mind that you did that :(. I haven't seen her much around here lately, I hope she is okay.

Yes, the same Abby. :) I don't think she'd mind, otherwise I guess she wouldn't have suggested that I could use it, but I still feel a bit bad. I'm sure there are many cats named Jasper around the place though. :) Which reminds me...there was a dog named Jasper in Rebecca! :)

Hehe. I know what you mean! I put off reading Terry Pratchett for years because I was afraid I'd like the Discworld series and want to buy them all. Eventually I gave in... and now I've bought them all!  :blush2:

I can totally relate :). I'm glad you enjoy the Discworld books :). How many of them have you read? I'm about half way I think, and I believe I own them all except the last one. 

Yes, the same Abby. :) I don't think she'd mind, otherwise I guess she wouldn't have suggested that I could use it, but I still feel a bit bad. I'm sure there are many cats named Jasper around the place though. :) Which reminds me...there was a dog named Jasper in Rebecca! :)

Awww :).

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, that's tricky. I suppose you could if you really wanted to, but you should know that there are events that occur in the last book that relate to the third book. I think you could still follow it well enough though. They work pretty well as standalone books. Was that any help at all? Sorry!  :blush2:

Ooh, that's tricky. I suppose you could if you really wanted to, but you should know that there are events that occur in the last book that relate to the third book. I think you could still follow it well enough though. They work pretty well as standalone books. Was that any help at all? Sorry!  :blush2:

I had better give some thought to this one. The 3rd book is close to being available to me. I may wait for it and cancel the current hold on the 4th book and then re-submit a new hold for it. Gotta think on it a little. Thanks for the input.

I think I will download the book but not read it. I will wait for about 7 days to see if the 3rd book comes available and if so read it and I will still have time to read the 4th book. I can keep each book for 21 days. After 7 days if I don't get the 3rd book I will turn in the 4th and re-apply for it.

I can totally relate :). I'm glad you enjoy the Discworld books :). How many of them have you read? I'm about half way I think, and I believe I own them all except the last one. 

I forgot to reply to this. Sorry Gaia!

I've only read the first five Discworld books so far. I have so many to read!  :thud:

Speaking of Discworld (or rather, Terry Pratchett), I bought an amazingly cheap hardback copy of Good Omens from the Book Depository recently. It will replace my secondhand paperback (or maybe I'll keep the paperback too...they are my preferred book format after all...).

About a week after I ordered that, the BD had another snap sale and I snagged a Penguin Modern Classic edition of Arthur Miller's play called All My Sons. I've never read anything by Miller before, and this was such a bargain that I couldn't resist. It should be a quick read.

In other recent book activity, I finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy this morning and started on Voltaire's Candide. It's been a while since I read a classic. So far so good! Thoughts to follow on the Millennium trilogy.

Brief(ish) thoughts on Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy:

I believe the Swedish title of the first book in the trilogy translates to 'Men Who Hate Women'. I think that would be a better name for the entire trilogy, actually: the Men Who Hate Women Trilogy. There are so few decent men in these books (and even the 'decent' men tend to objectify women). It's rather disconcerting, and I have to say, it doesn't make me want to visit Sweden any time soon. I know it's a ridiculous thing to say because it's only fiction, but geez...the hate from nearly all of the men towards nearly of the women is so palpable. Spoilers for book 3:

One male policeman tried to frame his female colleague because he hated her...for no reason whatsoever. Erika Berger was randomly stalked by a man.

To say nothing, of course, of all of the men who hated Lisbeth and plotted against her for no reason whatsoever. Anyway, it really doesn't paint Swedish men (and therefore Sweden itself) in a flattering light, but I doubt it has harmed tourism at all (I recall reading that tours of the areas mentioned in the books are very popular).

One of Larsson's greatest writing strengths can also be one of his weaknesses, I think. The amount of detail that he writes is incredible. A character doesn't just wake up and go to work—Larsson will detail the route they took to get to work, what they ate for breakfast etc. This level of detail provides more reality and enables the reader to become more engrossed in the characters' lives. But sometimes it feels a bit much and you'd rather he just get on with the story. Some sections of the third book, in particular, felt a bit long-winded. Occasionally I felt that I was reading the same thing over and over, as one character would meet with another and there would be (yet another) summary of the case to date. Luckily the plot was so gripping that it wasn't too much of a problem.

Lastly, a flaw with the reader: there were so many damn characters to keep track of! I think it was almost worse than reading a Russian novel. My reading was a bit halting because I'd often have to pause when I got to a character's name and wrack my brain for a moment trying to remember where the character fit within the story (it probably didn't help that Larsson jumps from one 'scene' to another every few pages). At one time I paused for several seconds while I tried to place a particular character's name...and then realised it wasn't the name of a character but the name of a place.  :blush2:

But don't be deterred by the above points. I loved this trilogy. I read the first book back in 2010 and loved it, so I'm not sure why it took me so long to get to the second and third books, but I'm so glad I finally read them. It was worth the wait! I've rated the last two books 9/10 (I believe I rated the first book 10/10, but it's a close thing between the three books, and now I would perhaps revise the rating of the first book down and give them all a solid 9/10).

I hope you enjoy your new books, Kylie :D!

Great review :)! That was very helpful to me. I do plan on reading the trilogy some time, and hopefully I will enjoy it :). Your review makes me think I should definitely give the books a go.

I'm about halfway through book 3 of the Millennium Trilogy and I think I agree with you.  His descriptions are great, but sometimes a little long, and I have trouble keeping track of the characters.  I find I can't read them in bed at night (when I do most of my reading) as I can't follow the story properly when I'm tired.  I really love all three books though.  

Great review - I have to agree about the detail in these books. For me, it's always been a positive thing, but I can easily see that it can become a negative. I haven't re-read these since I first got them, so I think a re-read of all of them is on the agenda. Particularly as this fourth book will be published soon. Still not sure how I feel about that, but I know I won't be able to help myself!

Glad you enjoyed the Millennium trilogy so much Kylie! I read them all in quick succession a few years ago, and would love to find the time for a re-read at some point.

A friend of mine also struggled to keep track of all the characters. Her solution was to make a bookmark with a table on it listing who were the 'goodies' and who were the 'baddies'. :giggle2:

I still have the third book to read but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it. When I read I generally need a character I can root for, or empathise with. In the first book it was genuinely possible, less so in the second and sounds like not likely in the third!

Great review :)! That was very helpful to me. I do plan on reading the trilogy some time, and hopefully I will enjoy it :). Your review makes me think I should definitely give the books a go.

Thanks Athena. I think you'll enjoy the trilogy!

I find I can't read them in bed at night (when I do most of my reading) as I can't follow the story properly when I'm tired. 

I can understand that!  :yes:

Particularly as this fourth book will be published soon. Still not sure how I feel about that, but I know I won't be able to help myself!

Heh. I probably won't be able to help myself either. Unless the reviews are really bad!

A friend of mine also struggled to keep track of all the characters. Her solution was to make a bookmark with a table on it listing who were the 'goodies' and who were the 'baddies'. :giggle2:

Ha! I wish I had thought of that. I've made a list of characters before when reading a book, so I don't know why I didn't do it this time! I would imagine that your friend's list of 'baddies' was much longer than the list of 'goodies'!

I still have the third book to read but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it. When I read I generally need a character I can root for, or empathise with. In the first book it was genuinely possible, less so in the second and sounds like not likely in the third!

Aw, that's a shame! Lisbeth is a prickly character, but I think she's worth rooting for. :) A lot of people are on her side in the third book, and she in turn does a couple of particularly nice things that she didn't really have to, which was really sweet.

I've had the third for a couple of years but I've also been putting it off!  I'm glad you enjoyed them. :)  The first two were great so I'm not sure why I keep putting off the third.

Probably for the same reason I put off the second and third books for so long...too many other enticing books kept getting in the way! :D