Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2015

Kylie

Hmm, intriguing! Is it weird and different in a good way? Were you disappointed by it? I haven't gotten past the first page yet. Haven't had much time for reading. :(

Nooo, more intrigue! I can't make out from these comments about Allegiant whether it will be good or bad. :( Any hints? 

I can't really say if it is good or bad. I have heard people say both. However by different and weird I meant the whole dynamic of her world changes and it isn't confusing really, but just like whoaaa way out of left field. 

I think the series would have been better if she made the second book longer and ended it somehow in there. But that's just my opinion :shrug: . I still think you should finish reading it and finish out the series. :)

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's also a spin off series of The Ellie Chronicles which I think are another three books :D

Great- just what I need, my first epic, with a spin off no less :lol:

And having his ashes shot from a cannon was very Thompson too, wasn't it!? I hadn't heard that story about Thompson shaving Depp's head. I think he would have been quite a scary man to know! :o

Oh so very Thompson :giggle2: I think he'd be so unpredictable, it'd be scary!

Yay! I'm so glad you're all interested in the series. :D I know Devi is also really fond of the series. :) It was a really, really popular series here when it was being published. We actually studied the first book in English in high school. It was so popular among all the students that the second and third books were constantly checked out of the library. It was only a trilogy at first, and I suppose you could read it that way if you didn't want to continue on with the whole series, but I'm glad Marsden started writing again because the whole series is great.

Anna, yep, I've read them all many times! I love them sooo much. :D

You've totally sold me, I think it shall be my next read.  I can't believe I've never heard of it before.  It can even fit on my long- short list (a long 2015 TBR made of short books lol).  So it's better than The Maze Runner, then, ya?  :lol:

Noll, I really hope you enjoy it. If you even remotely enjoy the first book, I'd encourage you to continue on because the series actually improves with each book! :) It's also a pretty short and quick read (especially by today's YA standards).

I'll give them a fair chance, don't worry! :lol:

So it's better than The Maze Runner, then, ya?  :lol:

See, I love The Maze Runner despite all its flaws. I have low standards :lol:

Today I received the second volume of The Complete Journals of LM Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1901–1911. Great stuff. :D I received the first volume for Christmas last year, and this was on sale at the BD, so I couldn't resist.  :blush2:

I'm going to have to add this to my wishlist if it's not there already! The PEI years! :D:wub: 

I mentioned on another thread recently that I once dressed up as seaweed for some school event. I found the photo. :D

(Excuse the quality.)

attachicon.gifIMG_0699.JPG

Awwwww, you look so cute! :smile2: <3

Cool. Does Hare have an engaging writing style, or is it a bit dry/academic?

Personally I didn't find it dry. But compared to the Ronson book, yes it'll be more academic. But not boring!! 

The first book was actually made into a movie a few years ago. It had a big budget by Australian standards but I don't think it fared well enough to continue with more movies. I think they were then thinking of making the rest of the books into a TV series, which would have worked really well, but I guess they won't be doing that now either. It really deserves to made into a series (either TV or movies), because the story is just so good.

I saw the film before reading the book, although I think, if I remember correctly, I'd heard of it as a book beforehand from discussions on here. If you do read and enjoy the book, I would definitely recommend the film, I thought it was great adaptation. In fact, I actually bought the DVD for friends for Christmas a couple of years ago, and they enjoyed it to.

I actually finished Tomorrow, When the War Began last week. It was an easy read but pretty enjoyable. I snapped the first 5 books up on Kindle years ago when they were 99p each and have only just got around to reading it. I will start on the 2nd one soon.

I actually finished Tomorrow, When the War Began last week. It was an easy read but pretty enjoyable.\

I will start on the 2nd one soon.

Oh great- the 1st makes you automatically want to read the 2nd?  :doh:  :giggle2: It's my next read. 

Knowing me, I'd want to read all 7 :rolleyes: At least the first 3!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually finished Tomorrow, When the War Began last week. It was an easy read but pretty enjoyable. I snapped the first 5 books up on Kindle years ago when they were 99p each and have only just got around to reading it. I will start on the 2nd one soon.

Great to hear, Tim. They really do get better as they go along, so hopefully you'll enjoy the next four books even more. :)

Oh great- the 1st makes you automatically want to read the 2nd?  :doh:  :giggle2: It's my next read. 

Knowing me, I'd want to read all 7 :rolleyes: At least the first 3!

:giggle2: They're such quick reads though, and so much shorter than many YA reads these days. The first three books combined are probably still shorter than Divergent!

I thought I'd do a quick summary of my reading/buying for the first quarter: January to March.

I read 12 books in total. This included two ebooks, so only 10 were from my TBR pile. According to Goodreads, I'm on track to meet my goal of 50 books.

I bought 11 books during the same period (none during January and March—all were bought in February). This means that my TBR pile effectively increased by one, which I guess isn't too bad (and I've since finished another book, so I'm now back where I started at the beginning of the year!)

I finished two series that I started at least a couple of years ago: The Giver quartet by Lois Lowry (I read books 2–4) and the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth (I read books 2–3).

I read four books from my book jar, and I'm currently reading two more. Speaking of the book jar, I don't think I ever posted a pic of the new, decorated jar. Here it is.

post-3835-0-90621600-1428279868_thumb.jpg

So...not as much reading as many of you, but I'm pretty happy with my progress.

You are doing very well. I have only read the first two of the Giver quartet but enjoyed them both. I have the other two on hold at the library. Have you read Nightingale? My wife is reading it now and is really, really, enjoying it. I also have it on hold at the library.

Great jar Kylie, I think the Book Box is a good tool for my reading but I don't feel beholden to it and like you am happy to pick up other books that appeal in between. :)

I subscribe to the same idea, if I really want to read something in particular then I skip the TBR jar that time around. 

Teeny tiny bunting! :wub:  It sounds like we've all got the same philosophy with the book jars, and just picking when there's nothing in particular we're desperate to read.  I can't believe you've only bought 11 books in three months … when I think back to a few years ago, it's incomparable.   :D

Yep - I'm the same with the book box. It also helps me that the library books don't go in it so there's something immediately there too if I fancy that. 

Would you recommend The Giver? The first is one of Amazon's monthly deals :)

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing very well. I have only read the first two of the Giver quartet but enjoyed them both. I have the other two on hold at the library. Have you read Nightingale? My wife is reading it now and is really, really, enjoying it. I also have it on hold at the library.

Thanks Muggles. Have the other two books in the Giver quartet become available yet?

No, I haven't read Nightingale, or even heard of it for that matter. Who wrote it? I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you read it.

Oh such a pretty jar! Sounds like you're doing really well, Kylie :)

Thanks Noll. :)

Great jar Kylie, I think the Book Box is a good tool for my reading but I don't feel beholden to it and like you am happy to pick up other books that appeal in between. :)

I subscribe to the same idea, if I really want to read something in particular then I skip the TBR jar that time around. 

Agreed! As my jar is only filled with my 'priority' reads, I'd be happy to choose from it all the time, but I keep getting sidetracked by other books!

For instance, my Mum just read the first book in Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy (which I've already read). She was talking about it to me throughout, which got me more excited to read the second book. Mum started on the second book straight after the first one, and I thought it'd be nice to sort of read along with her, although she's a faster reader and has more time to read than I do, so she'll finish it long before I do!

I can't believe you've only bought 11 books in three months … when I think back to a few years ago, it's incomparable.   :D

I can't believe it either! I'm rather proud of myself *pats myself on my back* :D

Would you recommend The Giver?

Definitely! It's a bit of a classic YA book. You probably don't have to read the rest of them if you don't want to (although I think they're all great). But you should definitely give The Giver a go.

Oh your jar is so pretty .. I love the bunting :wub: Happy reading Kylie! .. you're doing great! :)

Aw, thanks!  :blush2: I think the bunting is really cute too. :)

Pretty jar! Well done on your reading and not increasing your TBR pile much :). Out of the books you've read this year so far, any that particularly stand out as your favourite(s)?

Thanks Athena! Having just finished Rebecca, I would say it's the biggest stand out for me so far. It was brilliant! I've also enjoyed discovering Jon Ronson (especially The Psychopath Test). Another stand out was the second book in Patricia Highsmith's Ripley series, called Ripley Under Ground. She's a wonderful writer and storyteller. Oh, and discovering Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series (starting with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie) was another highlight!

I finished Rebecca in the early hours of this morning. It has gone straight on to my list of all-time favourites. It was fabulous! I picked a good time to read it too. We're having rather a lot of rain here at the moment, which added to the novel's atmosphere.

As mentioned above, I've now started reading (finally!) the second book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy, The Girl Who Played with Fire.

When I recently ordered my colouring books, I also ordered a couple of other books (it helps to spread out the postage costs, you know ;)). I ordered The Diamond Chariot by Boris Akunin and A Red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley. The Diamond Chariot is #10 in Akunin's Erast Fandorin series, and I only have #1 (The Winter Queen) so far, which I haven't read, but I'm absolutely certain that I'll love it, so it doesn't matter that I've skipped ahead. A Red Herring without Mustard is the third book in Bradley's Flavia de Luce series. I read #1 (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie) recently and then bought #2 (The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag), which I hope to read soon.

My Mum visited last week and I showed her my book jar. Then I asked her to choose my next book. She pulled out a slip, read it and said 'it has the same name as your cat!' to which I said 'Jasper Fforde!' Indeed, she had selected One of Our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde. (For anyone who doesn't know, I did actually name my cat after Jasper Fforde. :D) I've been very keen to get back to this series, so I was thrilled that Mum had chosen it.  :exc:

I'm glad you really liked Rebecca so much :)! Thanks for telling me about your favourites, I shall look them all up :). I hope you enjoy the Millennium books, I have them on my TBR. I hope you enjoy your new books :D! I hope you enjoy the Jasper Fforde book :) I have a couple of them on my TBR.