Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2015

Kylie

Your Hunter shelf and my Hunter shelf should get together :P I spent a lot of time in my teens reading him and cried quite a bit over his suicide, even though it was so very Thompson.  I always loved hearing Johnny Depp talk about the time he spent with Hunter for the movie Fear and Loathing... Hunter shaved Depp's head for the role in his basement with his headlamp and goggles on  :giggle2:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just finished The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I had placed this in my book jar as a priority read for this year, but I couldn't wait to read it after Poppyshake's review, so I just jumped in. It was absolutely wonderful! If you're interested in mental health and stories of crazy/weird people, as well as how they're treated in society and mental institutions, you'll find this interesting. Ronson has an engaging way of writing that makes the pages fly by, and the book was very difficult to put down.

Partway through reading it I decided to research a bit more about Robert Hare, who invented a widely used checklist for determining whether a person is psychopath. Ronson interviewed him extensively for his book. I found Hare's website, which has published two pieces regarding Ronson's book. One is a general commentary by members of the Psychopathy Society, and the other is a longer piece by Hare himself. People who have read the book might be interested in reading them; I certainly found them interesting! Unfortunately, Hare and other psychologists have not been at all impressed with Ronson's book. They generally seem to think that he has been irresponsible in his flippant use of the checklist to try and diagnose people. I can understand their point, but I don't think most people reading the book would believe that it is quite as simple as that checklist. I think the checklist is basically a summary of a very long book Hare wrote about psychopaths. You have to go on an expensive course and pay even more money to view the book...I would love to be able to read it! Also, Hare mentions that Ronson has taken artistic licence when recounting their interviews, but I could tell when reading the dialogue that it wasn't verbatim. Don't let all of this put you off reading it though! It's such a fascinating look at mental health.

I have five other books by Ronson on my TBR pile, which all focus on his meetings with eccentric people. I think I'll read The Men Who Stare at Goats next. :)

Great review Kylie! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) As for Hare etc, it's a shame they don't approve of Jon's book. Surely they understand that he has a certain jokey style? One look at his previous books would tell you that. 

I was a bit sceptical when I heard how much people have to shell out for the course and then .. in addition .. the book. Jon has told us the basics for a much cheaper price :D Maybe that annoys them .. but I bet it has drummed up a lot of interest too. 

Jon's books are everywhere at the moment .. I love the striking covers :)

I just finished watching Divergent for the first time, after reading the book a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good, and now I have a real hankering to read Insurgent, so I'll probably start that alongside my other current reads. :) And happily this is on my list of priority reads for the year. :)

I just finished watching Divergent for the first time, after reading the book a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good, and now I have a real hankering to read Insurgent, so I'll probably start that alongside my other current reads. :) And happily this is on my list of priority reads for the year. :)

The series is great! Except the last book is a little weird and different from the other two. But I hope you enjoy them  :D

I've just finished The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I had placed this in my book jar as a priority read for this year, but I couldn't wait to read it after Poppyshake's review, so I just jumped in. It was absolutely wonderful! If you're interested in mental health and stories of crazy/weird people, as well as how they're treated in society and mental institutions, you'll find this interesting. Ronson has an engaging way of writing that makes the pages fly by, and the book was very difficult to put down.

Partway through reading it I decided to research a bit more about Robert Hare, who invented a widely used checklist for determining whether a person is psychopath. Ronson interviewed him extensively for his book. I found Hare's website, which has published two pieces regarding Ronson's book. One is a general commentary by members of the Psychopathy Society, and the other is a longer piece by Hare himself. People who have read the book might be interested in reading them; I certainly found them interesting! Unfortunately, Hare and other psychologists have not been at all impressed with Ronson's book. They generally seem to think that he has been irresponsible in his flippant use of the checklist to try and diagnose people. I can understand their point, but I don't think most people reading the book would believe that it is quite as simple as that checklist. I think the checklist is basically a summary of a very long book Hare wrote about psychopaths. You have to go on an expensive course and pay even more money to view the book...I would love to be able to read it! Also, Hare mentions that Ronson has taken artistic licence when recounting their interviews, but I could tell when reading the dialogue that it wasn't verbatim. Don't let all of this put you off reading it though! It's such a fascinating look at mental health.

I have five other books by Ronson on my TBR pile, which all focus on his meetings with eccentric people. I think I'll read The Men Who Stare at Goats next. :)

Great review Kylie! :smile2: I am sorry to hear Hare wasn't all that pleased about Ronson's books. I've read on of his books, by the way, called Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us, I gave it 4/5. You might want to check it out if you're interested. 

Those are absolutely gorgeous :wub: :wub:

So, having read 7 books off my TBR pile and added 11, my pile has increased from 1995 to 1999. :o I cannot let it get over 2000! I think I can be disciplined this month because I have received/will be receiving some lovely books to keep me away from the temptation of buying more.

We're going to party like it's 1999  :23_sing:  :giggle2: 

Today I received the second volume of The Complete Journals of LM Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1901–1911. Great stuff. :D I received the first volume for Christmas last year, and this was on sale at the BD, so I couldn't resist.  :blush2:

Today I received the second volume of The Complete Journals of LM Montgomery: The PEI Years, 1901–1911. Great stuff. :D I received the first volume for Christmas last year, and this was on sale at the BD, so I couldn't resist.  :blush2:

Don't you dare blush … you've been so good recently you're entitled to succumb to temptation occasionally! :yes:

I finished Insurgent tonight. It was pretty good, but I felt like I floundered my way through parts of it. I'm not sure if it was because it has been a couple of years since I read Divergent, but I felt like I was a step behind the plot most of the time. I didn't understand the decisions that Tris was making. Or maybe there really were plot holes and too much vagueness.  :shrug:

I couldn't help but compare it to my favourite YA series of all time, John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began. They're only similar in that young adults have to step up and fight back against others, but I just feel that Marsden does it so much better. His characterisation is wonderful, whereas the characters in the Divergent trilogy all seem a bit samey, and I often had to pause to have a think about which character was which, and which faction they were from, etc.

That said, it was still enjoyable. I'll probably continue straight on with Allegiant.

Interesting review, I quite enjoyed Ronson's book.  I found it quite approachable. 

Great review Kylie! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) As for Hare etc, it's a shame they don't approve of Jon's book. Surely they understand that he has a certain jokey style? One look at his previous books would tell you that. 

I was a bit sceptical when I heard how much people have to shell out for the course and then .. in addition .. the book. Jon has told us the basics for a much cheaper price :D Maybe that annoys them .. but I bet it has drummed up a lot of interest too. 

Jon's books are everywhere at the moment .. I love the striking covers :)

Maybe that is why... :D

Or maybe there really were plot holes and too much vagueness.  :shrug:

I couldn't help but compare it to my favourite YA series of all time, John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began.

That said, it was still enjoyable. I'll probably continue straight on with Allegiant.

Just wait til you get to Allegiant, it will drive you crazy.

*goes to look up Tomorrow, When the War Began*

Just wait til you get to Allegiant, it will drive you crazy.

*goes to look up Tomorrow, When the War Began*

*Follows*

You know, it doesn't sound like something I would normally pick up, but it does sound GOOD, so I'm gonna challenge myself to read the first book at the very least.

*Follows*

You know, it doesn't sound like something I would normally pick up, but it does sound GOOD, so I'm gonna challenge myself to read the first book at the very least.

Oh it sounds exactly like the something I'd pick up lol This place...

I would highly recommend it too. I've read the first three books in the series, and will definitely read the rest at some point.

Kylie- there are SEVEN of them??  Have you read them all?

Emoticons culled.

Ooh, I've seen the film of that and enjoyed it. I had no idea it was based on a book! :o It's definitely very quirky, if I remember correctly.

It's not a book that would immediately spring to mind as one that would be made into a movie, so I can definitely imagine that it would be quirky! :)

Your Hunter shelf and my Hunter shelf should get together :P I spent a lot of time in my teens reading him and cried quite a bit over his suicide, even though it was so very Thompson.  I always loved hearing Johnny Depp talk about the time he spent with Hunter for the movie Fear and Loathing... Hunter shaved Depp's head for the role in his basement with his headlamp and goggles on  :giggle2:

And having his ashes shot from a cannon was very Thompson too, wasn't it!? I hadn't heard that story about Thompson shaving Depp's head. I think he would have been quite a scary man to know! :o

Jon's books are everywhere at the moment .. I love the striking covers

Hare's course has certainly drummed up interest in me. I'd love to read that whole course book (or maybe just skim it—it's probably too involved for me to understand).

Oh, I adore the covers of his books. :) I only have the lovely covers for The Psychopath Test and Lost at Sea though. The rest of my Ronson books have very boring covers. :( Hopefully I'll find some cheap editions to replace them one day.

I should probably read The Psychopath Test, as I am very interested in mental health. Great review

Thanks! It's a really interesting read. I do hope you read it one day. :)

The series is great! Except the last book is a little weird and different from the other two. But I hope you enjoy them  :D

Hmm, intriguing! Is it weird and different in a good way? Were you disappointed by it? I haven't gotten past the first page yet. Haven't had much time for reading. :(

I hope you enjoy the books :)! I really like the series.

Thanks Athena! I'm certainly enjoying it much more than The Maze Runner series. ;)

Great review Kylie! :smile2: I am sorry to hear Hare wasn't all that pleased about Ronson's books. I've read on of his books, by the way, called Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us, I gave it 4/5. You might want to check it out if you're interested.

Cool. Does Hare have an engaging writing style, or is it a bit dry/academic?

Interesting review, I quite enjoyed Ronson's book.  I found it quite approachable. 

Yes, it's very approachable, isn't it? Have you read anything else by Ronson, or do you intend to?

Just wait til you get to Allegiant, it will drive you crazy.

Nooo, more intrigue! I can't make out from these comments about Allegiant whether it will be good or bad. :( Any hints? 

I've got to look this up too, thanks :)!

Oh it sounds exactly like the something I'd pick up lol This place...

Kylie- there are SEVEN of them??  Have you read them all?

Yay! I'm so glad you're all interested in the series. :D I know Devi is also really fond of the series. :) It was a really, really popular series here when it was being published. We actually studied the first book in English in high school. It was so popular among all the students that the second and third books were constantly checked out of the library. It was only a trilogy at first, and I suppose you could read it that way if you didn't want to continue on with the whole series, but I'm glad Marsden started writing again because the whole series is great.

Noll, I really hope you enjoy it. If you even remotely enjoy the first book, I'd encourage you to continue on because the series actually improves with each book! :) It's also a pretty short and quick read (especially by today's YA standards).

Anna, yep, I've read them all many times! I love them sooo much. :D

The first book was actually made into a movie a few years ago. It had a big budget by Australian standards but I don't think it fared well enough to continue with more movies. I think they were then thinking of making the rest of the books into a TV series, which would have worked really well, but I guess they won't be doing that now either. It really deserves to made into a series (either TV or movies), because the story is just so good.

There's also a spin off series of The Ellie Chronicles which I think are another three books :D

Quite right! So there are 10 books in all, but the latter three are a bit different in tone, as the characters are adults (although still young). They're still very good though.