Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of David Coe- is that Fantasy as well?

I so want you to enjoy Follett :)

And how many Outlander books are there?? :giggle2:

Oh- and I liked the review for TWoA :)

Edited by Anna Begins

The fact that you've delved straight into it tells me it must be good! :D

So far, it is :D!

I've never heard of David Coe- is that Fantasy as well?

I so want you to enjoy Follett :)

And how many Outlander books are there?? :giggle2:

Oh- and I liked the review for TWoA :)

Yes, David B. Coe writes fantasy too. He's not a very well known author, and some of his books I could only find second-hand. But he's written the Chronicles of Lontobyn trilogy which is one of my favourite fantasy series. It probably helps that they were the first adult fantasy books I read, so I have fond nostalgic feelings of the books. They are what introduced me to adult high fantasy. It's a shame the books so far haven't been given the acclaim I believe they deserve (I haven't read the author's other books). My classmate and friend at secondary school was reading this series back then and let me borrow her books when she was done with them. After loving the series I bought my own copies and introduced my sister to them, and she loved them too.

Thanks, I hope I will :)!

So far there are 8 Outlander books, as far as I know.

Thanks :)! I really thought it had some good twists. So far The Hero of Ages has got not as many impressive twists, but I've got a lot of pages to go so that might still change. A plot twist I wasn't expecting, just happened, so :).

EDIT: Oooh, some interesting things just happened :exc:!!

Edited by Athena

Brandon Sanderson - The Mistborn Trilogy 3: The Hero of Ages

3362870.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 748 (excluding excerpt of the third book, strangely enough)

Date read: 22-08-2015 <-> 29-08-2015

ISBN: 9780765356147

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's book 2 in a series).

My thoughts:

After reading book 2 in this trilogy I really wanted to find out how the story would end, so I started book 3 shortly after finishing book 2. I really enjoyed books 1 and 2 in this series, so I was really looking forward to read to book 3.

At the end of the story is a sort of glossary (like in books 1 and 2, but it contains more now than in book 2, and book 2's one contained more than book 1's one did.). There is also a summary of book 1 and a summary of book 2 (and an excerpt of Warbreaker, another book by the author, I own it but I haven't read it yet).

The book consists of five parts (and a prologue and an epilogue). One year has passed since the end of book 2. At the beginning of each chapter there is a bit of text from a writing, like in the previous two books.

It took me longer to read this book than the previous one. There were some times when I didn't much feel like reading and when I did other things instead. That doesn't mean that this book is less good than its predecessors. I really enjoyed reading this book (aside from the mojo / reading slump problems). It took quite a bit of time to read the first half of the book, the second half took me less time (in terms of days, not absolute reading times). The second half in particular was very suspenseful and had a lot of great twists. I think maybe the first half took me longer because it contained more politics than the second half?

I liked the characters, old and new. This book ties up the series very nicely I thought. Everything makes sense now. I couldn't believe some of the twists, just like in book 2, yet they all make sense at the same time too. I also really liked the writing style.

This was an epic high fantasy trilogy, such books which I don't read a lot of lately and I realise I've missed that. It was a great idea of my boyfriend to try and focus on reading something I really want to read.

There is a fourth book, starting a new trilogy in the same world but 300 years later. I'll probably hold off in reading the fourth book until I own all three books in the trilogy (in the paperback formats I like), because I have trouble with cliffhangers and then not being able to read how the story ends. I look forward to reading them!

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Yeah!  I am so happy you enjoyed the series- and right on for Michael :)  I am glad we have both decided to enjoy what we read and how we read.  Now you have to wait for the next 3?  Argh!

Yeah!  I am so happy you enjoyed the series- and right on for Michael :)  I am glad we have both decided to enjoy what we read and how we read.  Now you have to wait for the next 3?  Argh!

Thanks :)! Me too. Yep! I could read the first one but I don't like cliffhangers so I will wait :P. I will probably pre-order the next two books once I can (so far only the hardcovers are listed). 

Another great book haul ! I`m still hanging on to the last grown-up Discworld book, I can`t bear to read it yet. Might save it till Xmas. :smile:

Thanks :)! I've read about half of the Discworld books, I'm reading them in order so it will be a little while until I get around to the last grown-up one. I plan on buying The Shephard's Crown once it's out in my comfy paperback format (I think that will be next year somewhere).

Great review Gaia! I'm so excited to start reading this series. :D Do you think you'll read some of Sanderson's other stuff whilst you're waiting for the rest of the Mistborn books?

Yay :D! I look forward to hear what you think. Yes, I think I will! It will take a couple more years before the rest of the books are out and I've just ordered a lot of his books (okay, all the ones I didn't already own and that were out in my preferred paperback format :blush2:), so I expect I will :D. I also bought the Alcatraz books by him, which I read from the library earlier this year, but I loved them so much I'm tempted to re-read them in a while (in order this time), even though I usually wait at least five years before I re-read any book. Mistborn was so awesome, I want more awesomeness :giggle2:. I might be tempted to read the fourth book anyway, but it might end on a cliffhanger, so we'll see if I can restrain myself :P.

I've just ordered a lot of his books (okay, all the ones I didn't already own and that were out in my preferred paperback format :blush2:), so I expect I will :D. I also bought the Alcatraz books by him, which I read from the library earlier this year, but I loved them so much I'm tempted to re-read them in a while (in order this time), even though I usually wait at least five years before I re-read any book. Mistborn was so awesome, I want more awesomeness :giggle2:.

See, it's these type of posts that make me want to start collecting books again!!

Herman Koch - Geachte Heer M. (Band 1 & 2)

(split up because it's a big font size library book)

(I couldn't find an image of these books. They are largely yellow, with a red sort of painted something, and they have 'XL' written in the bottom left corner)

Genre: Literature

Format: Hardback (Library Loans

Pages: 280 + 285

Date read: 29-08-2015 <-> 31-08-2015

ISBN: 9789046310793 (I think)

Synopsis (Frankie, BCF, found this English synopsis online): Following his ruthless dissections of the hypocrisy of the moneyed classes and corruption in the medical profession, Herman Koch turns his dystopian gaze on the literary world. In his new novel,Dear Mr M. he tells the tale of a fading writer held grimly to account by a neighbour with a score to settle. Did Reckoning, the novel that cemented Mr M’s literary success all those years ago, culpably distort the facts of a mysterious missing persons case?

My thoughts:

I quite liked Het Diner by this author (or for you English people reading the translation, The Dinner :) ). Frankie from BCF recently mentioned this book (called Dear Mister M. in English), so I thought I'd try to borrow it from the library (seeing as it's Dutch and all :P). I couldn't find a 'normal' version of the book, so I ended up with the book in 'big font', split up into two. The library has a section of these books, that are specially printed for people who have eyesight problems, such as older people whose eyes aren't what they 'used to be'. I felt a bit odd borrowing it from there when my eyes definitely need glasses, but with my glasses I can see just fine. It wasn't too bad to read such a big font (I remember when I was a child, I found it awkward to read such a big font).

The book is partially told through what are I think letters from the downstairs neighbour to the author living above him. There is also the point of view of the author himself, and there are parts where we read about the past (to do with the disappearance). Once there was a chapter with the author's wife's point of view. The book consists of five parts (titled, not numbered). Some of the people in the book are only known by their first name, first letter of their first name, first letter of their last name or first name plus first letter of their last name. This made the book a bit harder to read at times, though it's also slightly less distracting perhaps.

I didn't like this book as much as I liked Het Diner. There were quite a few things I didn't like about this book (don't worry, there were also some things I did like). The story is a bit slow. Sometimes the tension ramps up, but then the book becomes slow again (too slow for my liking).

The book would sometimes go off on tangents, when the characters are thinking to themselves or such. It was chaotic in places. Sometimes there were flashbacks that kind of came out of nowhere, and we went back to 'contemporary times' all of a sudden too. I felt it would have been better if it had been clearer whether something is a flashback or not (or at least, perhaps some more white space or such). There is an interesting story in the book somewhere but it could have been shorter and clearer.

I didn't like most of the characters. The author guy was unlikable and I didn't like the downstairs neighbour either. Their attitude regarding women bothered me. I didn't really feel connected to any of the characters in the book.

What I did like about the book where some of the parts about books, writing and authors. I enjoyed reading some of these bits a lot, they were interesting to read. I wonder if the views are based on anything the author of the book himself has experienced.

I also quite liked the writing style (minus the tangents, slowness, jumping around etc), some of the sentences flowed very well. Some descriptions were pretty nice.

Overall then I have to say the book was okay, meh, allright, but it could have been much better. There were a lot of things that bothered me. I did like some parts of the story and the suspenseful bits were nice, but overall I struggled with the book and mainly just finished it off relatively quickly so I could go and read something else, and also because it's due at the library. It's not a book I think I'll ever re-read, but someone else might enjoy it.

Rating: (**) (4/10)

I finished reading the Mistborn Trilogy Annotations and Deleted Scenes. I won't be writing a review since I think that'd be a little bit weird, but I enjoyed reading them and learning more about the writing process.

Aw!  That's too bad, no review!  Understandable though.  I am glad you liked the Annotations and deleted scenes.

Regarding Delirium, I hope the short stories are good, like the Four ones (at least, I remember liking them... did we :giggle2:  :blush2: )

Aw!  That's too bad, no review!  Understandable though.  I am glad you liked the Annotations and deleted scenes.

Regarding Delirium, I hope the short stories are good, like the Four ones (at least, I remember liking them... did we :giggle2:  :blush2: )

Sorry! I thought it was very interesting to read about the writing process and the author's thoughts and ideas and early versions of the story and all that, but I didn't write a review for the Elantris Annotations either. I thought it was all very interesting, but it's hard to talk about it exactly without spoiling parts of the story.

Me too! I also hope the short stories are good. Yes, we did :giggle2:.

Lauren Oliver - Delirium 1: Delirium

10128165.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Young-adult

Pages: 393

Date read: 01-09-2015 <-> 02-09-2015

ISBN: 9780340980934

Synopsis (back of the book): They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I've always believed them.

Until now.

Now everything has changed. Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years suffocated by a lie.

There was a time when love was the most important in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it.

Then, at last, they found the cure.

My thoughts:

Anna (Begins) recently read this book, after I mentioned it to her because people have recommended me to read it. I wanted to read it not long after Anna finished it, so we could talk about it.

Each chapter starts with a quote from a book (one that is made up for the story, a non-fiction one), which tell a little bit more about the disease and the history of the world in the story.

This was an enjoyable book. I thought the world of the story was very interesting. I liked the characters, they were more 'average' characters and not the 'kick-ass' sort of characters we see in some other dystopian books. There was one decision the main character made that I didn't quite like at the time, so I struggled a bit in that particular chapter. I liked the writing style, though I thought it was a bit heavy on the metaphors sometimes (I often have trouble with those). Other than that though I quite liked the writing style.

I really liked the quotes at the start of each chapter, they gave a nice insight into the world. I liked the plot twists. A few were predictable and some of them surprised me quite a bit.

I initially rated the book a 9 / 10, but now that I'm writing this review a day after reading it and the fact I cannot wait to read the next book, shows that the story has impressed me.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book. I look forward to read the other books, I must know how the story continues and ends! However, it's the read-a-thon soon now so I will try to hold off until after the read-a-thon, to read the next book, because I should read my lirbary loans soon so I can hand them back in at the library.

Walter Moers - Zamonië 4: De Stad van de Dromende Boeken (Zamonien 4: Die Stadt der Träumenden Bücher)

I'm rather behind on your thread, sorry! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, and I'm happy to hear that it's better than Rumo, which I was just a little disappointed with after the brilliance of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear.

It's such a shame that all of Moers' books haven't yet been translated into English/Dutch. I think Moers should just stop writing in German and make us his priority. :P

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitter's Club 6: Een Grote Dag voor Gertie (Kristy's Big Day) (re-read)

This one was never one of my favourite BSC books if I had to pick some

Funnily enough this was always one of my favourites. :) I think it was because there were so many children and things to organise, and it was such a foreign concept to me that I found it intriguing (heck, I couldn't manage that many kids as an adult, never mind as a 13-year-old!) :D

I'm rather behind on your thread, sorry! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, and I'm happy to hear that it's better than Rumo, which I was just a little disappointed with after the brilliance of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear.

It's such a shame that all of Moers' books haven't yet been translated into English/Dutch. I think Moers should just stop writing in German and make us his priority. :P

No problem! That makes sense, I hope you enjoy the fourth book :).

It really is a shame :(. Haha :P

Funnily enough this was always one of my favourites. :) I think it was because there were so many children and things to organise, and it was such a foreign concept to me that I found it intriguing (heck, I couldn't manage that many kids as an adult, never mind as a 13-year-old!) :D

That is true :yes:! I've only ever been to one wedding so the setting didn't mean so much to me, maybe? I do like the story nowadays, it was just, when I read the synopsis in the shop I liked it less than some of the other earlier books. So I actually bought book 7 before book 6. I had to choose because I only had a little bit of pocket money. No, I couldn't manage that many kids either! It is pretty amazing, all the things the BSC members do in that regard, there are several books where a lot of them watch a lot of children. That is usually interesting to read. As a child / teenager I found it somewhat educational too, if that makes sense. The books taught me about friendship and about kids and what kind of things they might like.

I'm curious as to what main character and what decision you were unhappy with :)

It was:

when the Regulators go and check people in the night, and Lena sneaks out of the house to the party to try and warn Hana, after they'd had a fight and Lena was kind of scared of the Regulators. I couldn't quite identify with it, I would've thought, after a fight, during which Lena warned Hana that things might go wrong, and then things do go wrong, it would be a very bad idea to risk your own skin to try and warn a friend when you've already told them to be careful and they just ignored you. I would think, well, it's Hana's own fault a bit, if I had been Lena I would never have snuck out.

But gladly the chapters after that made more sense to me, and I liked the rest of what happened. I just couldn't quite identify with this.

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitters Club 18: Petra Blundert (Stacey's Mistake) (re-read)

25547253.jpg

Genre: Rom-com

Age-range: Children, Young-Adult

Pages: 120

Date read: 03-09-2015

ISBN: 9789024342303

Synopsis (GoodReads): Stacey's so excited! She's invited her friends from the Baby-sitters Club down to New York City for a long weekend. It's going to be perfect - a party and a sleepover on Friday night, a big baby-sitting job on Saturday, and lots of sight seeing on Sunday.

But what a mistake! The Baby-sitters are way out of place in the big city. Mary Anne sounds like a walking guide book; Dawn's afraid of everything; Kristy can't keep her mouth shut; and Claudia's jealous of Stacey friends.

Does this mean Stacey can't be the Baby-sitters' friend anymore? Will the Baby-sitters Club fall apart?

My thoughts:

It was the day before the read-a-thon and because I was eager to get going, I decided to start on my reads a day early. This was the next BSC book to read.

Unlike most of the other BSC books I've read, this one's chapters don't contain BSC notebook entries at the start, but letters and post cards the clubmembers write.

This story was a bit different than most BSC books. But it also had a lot of familiar elements (such as babysitting). I enjoyed reading this book. It was nice to read about what Petra / Stacey's life is like in Amsterdam / New York. I think the translators did a great job (even though new York and Amsterdam are different places). I'm not quite sure what more to add to my reviews of the BSC books I re-read. I enjoy re-reading them.

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitters Club 20: Gertie Gaat er Tegen Aan! (Kristy and the Walking Disaster) (re-read)

25690291.jpg

Genre: Rom-com

Age-range: Children, Young-Adult

Pages: 120

ISBN: 9789024342327

Synopsis (GoodReads): They're lean, they're mean, they're the pride of Stoneybrook. Who are they? They're Kristy's Krushers. When Kristy sees how much her little brothers and sister want to play on a softball team, she starts a ragtag team of her own. Maybe Kristy's Krushers aren't world champions (how could they be, with Jackie Rodowsky, walking disaster, playing for them?), but nobody beats them when it comes to team spirit.

My thoughts:

It was almost the read-a-thon, and this was the next BSC book to read.

I'm not that interested in sports, but it was enjoyable to re-read this story. I presume the original sport was baseball, that's quite similar to 'slagbal' (translation word) though 'honkball' would have been a better translation (if I remember it correctly from school?).

I enjoyed reading this book. It's a bit different from most of the books but it was enjoyable. The children are someties funny or cute.

Simon de Waal and A. C. Baantjer - De Waal & Baantjer 12: Een Schim in de Nacht

26022217.jpg

Genre: Detective

Pages: 173

ISBN: 9789048827633

Synopsis (me): Detective Van Opperdoes hears a gunshot when he's in a cafe eating applepie. He rushes out and finds a man, who claims 'it was me'.

My thoughts:

I really liked the first eleven books in this series. When I foudn out there was a book twelve, I knew I wanted to get it soon. Since I normally read a Baantjer or a De Waal & Baantjer book for the read-a-thon. I did so now (it's almost the read-a-thon).

This book was quite suspenseful. There were some really good plot twists, and I didn't guess the solution until right at the end. It was really nice to read this book. I do think this is one of the better ones, definitely. I liked the writing style and the descriptions of Amsterdam. If any more books will be written in this series, I'd be happy to read them.

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 10

9058558339.gif

Genre: Disney

Age-range: Children

Pages: 510

Date read: 03-09-2015 <-> 04-09-2015

ISBN: 9789058558336

Synopsis (me): A collection of comics of Donald Duck and his friends.

My thoughts:

Since it was (close to) another read-a-thon, I read a Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket. This was the next one (out of the ones I own). I hadn't actually read this one before (nor books 11 and 13, the last ones I've got of the series). It was great to read some new Donald Duck stories. I will briefly give a synopsis of each story below.

Donald Duck en het Gevecht om de Ruimte

This sotry is about Donald Duck, the nephews and Willie Wortel, and the conflict over space and such. I quite liked this story. It was funny and I liked the way the aliens were drawn.

Donald Duck en de Kraaienoorlog

In this story Donald Duck has issues with some crows, and with his neighbour. It was funny in places. The colours used in the drawings of this story are bright and pretty.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Oom Dagobert: Het Monster van Loch Ness

This was an enjoyable story about Oom Dagobert, Donald Duck, the nephews and the monster of Loch Ness.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

De Avonturen van Goofy: De Geboorte van een 'Divo'

This was an enjoyable story, in which Goofy reads his newest novel out loud to Mickey. In the novel Goofy becomes a 'divo', a male version of a 'diva'. I liked the story.

Donald Duck en het Wonderbaarlijke Sausvaatje

This was a nice story about Donald Duck starting his own little restaurant selling buns.

Donald Duck - Het Oog van Ra

This was a niec story about Donald Duck, pyraminds and Ra's eye (a jewel).

Zwarte Magica en de Furie van de Elementen

This was an enjoyable story about Zwarte Magica and the 'fury of the elements'.

Donald Duck Timmert Erop Los

In this story Donald does some DIY. It was nice.

Jungle Duck

This was an enjoyable story about Donald Duck becoming Jungle Duck after Jungleman quits his job.

Willie Wortel en de Onverslaanbare Rivaal

This was an enjoybale story about Willie Wortel and a rival inventor.

Oom Dagobert: De Lolbroekenclub

This was a story about a group of people pulling what I think is called in English 'practical' jokes? on each other.

Mickey Mouse Op Vrije Voeten

This was a good story about what happens when Mickey Mouse decides to go jogging in the snow.

Donald Duck en Superduck: De Evenwichtshersteller

This was a nice story about Donald who wants to write a comic book.

Donald Duck als Paleontoloog

In this story Donald tries to be a paleontologist.

Oom Dagobert: De Hinderlijke Mopperpot

In this story Oom Dagobert is quite grumpy (I think that would be an okay translation), he complains a lot.

Donald Duck: 313 Te Koop!

In this story Donald has enough of his car breaking down so often, so he tries to sell it.

Oom Dagobert: Een Criminele Bende

'De Zwarte Jongens' have stolen Oom Dagobert's money. This was a good story.

Overall it was enjoyable to read a Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket that was completely new to me.

Overall Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Nick Arnold (ill. Tony De Saulles) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Bloed, Botten en de Rest van je Body (Horrible Science: Blood, Bones and Body Bits) (re-read)

11359561.jpg

Genre: Information

Age-range: Children

Pages: 178

Date read: 04-09-2015

ISBN: 9789020605037

Synopsis (GoodReads): Are you dying to find out what happens to food after you swallow it? Why dead people need a haircut? Which animals live on your eyelashes? This book will get right under you skin as the human body goes under the scalpel.

My thoughts:

I read another book in this series for the read-a-thon last month (I re-read Kjartan Poskitt (ill. Daniel Postgate) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Echt Gigantisch Dat Heelal (The Knowledge: The Gobsmacking Galaxy)). I really enjoyed reading that book again, so I thought it'd be nice to continue the trend during this read-a-thon.

It was enjoyable to read this book again. I knew a lot of the knowledge in this book already (well, I've read it before and I've read a lot more books about this subject, as well as biology and biochemical lessons at school and university), but it was good to re-read this book. I liked the illustrations and the book was funny sometimes. I didn't like this book as much as Echt Gigantisch, Dat Heelal (see above paragraph), but that was also the case when I first read these books. I think I will continue this trend in the next read-a-thons.