Athena's Reading List 2015

Athena

Geronimo Stilton - De Drie Muisketiers (I Tre Moschettiero)

6355714.jpg

Genre: Literature

Age-range: Children

Format: Hardback (Library Loan)

Pages: 222

Date read: 03-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085920847

Synopsis (me): A retelling of the famous book The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. D'Artagnan wants to be a musketeer, can he disable the plans of Richelieu?

(note: 'muisketier' is a word that doesn't actually exist in Dutch, the proper word is 'musketier', but 'muis' means mouse. I thought it was an amusing play of words.).

My thoughts:

I've previously enjoyed other Stilton retellings of literary works, so when I found a few I hadn't read yet, I borrowed them and saved them for the read-a-thon. I do own the original book (in a newer edition), but I haven't read it.

This was an interesting story. A lot happens in it. The original version is a lot bigger (contains more pages with smaller font) than this retelling. There were a lot of plot twists. I liked the characters and the illustrations. A few times I was a little bit confused about some political events, as I don't remember a whole lot from my history lessons about this era and area.

I have not read the original book. I did see bits of a cartoon when I was a child. I've heard of the story but I didn't know much about what happened in it exactly. It was nice to read this retelling and to find out more about these famous characters.

Overall then I enjoyed this retelling. A lot of things happened in the story, perhaps more than was good for me to read in one sitting. I didn't get some of the bits in the book as my knowledge of history of that period of time and that area is a bit hazy. I did like the story though, it was good, I liked the characters.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Robinson Crusoe (Le Avventure di Robinson Crusoe)

22006015.jpg

Pages: 224

Date read: 03-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085922100

Synopsis (me): A retelling of The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. Robinson Crusoe wants to be on a boat all his life, but shipwrecks on a seemingly deserted island.

My thoughts:

This is a retelling of the classic book. I own the original book (newer edition) but I haven't read it yet.

This was a really nice story. I really enjoyed reading it. It was suspenseful and I liked the plot twists. I liked the characters and the illustrations. It was nice to have read this story. I knew bits of it, I've seen a cartoon or film when I was a lot younger, but I didn't remember a lot from it.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. It was suspenseful and adventurous, and I liked it a lot. The story reads easily and I liked the characters and illustrations.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Geronimo Stilton - Jolanda, Dochter van de Zwarte Piraat (Jolanda, La Figlia Del Corsaro Nero)

9200000021947539.jpg

Pages: 224

Date read: 04-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085922629

Synopsis (me): A retelling of the classic book by Emilio Salgari. Jolanda, daughter of the black pirate.

My thoughts:

I hadn't heard of the original book before, but I like a lot of other Stilton retellings, so I borrowed it from the library and saved it for the read-a-thon.

This retelling was an enjoyable story. Apparently the original author (Emilio Salgari) has written a lot of books and this book was part of a series about the Black Pirate (Zwarte Piraat). I enjoyed the story and I liked the characters. It was great to see a somewhat strong female charactere, particularly for back in those days. I liked the other characters too. At the end of the book there are two pages with some educational information.

I liked the plot twists and the illustrations. The story was suspenseful. I iddn't enjoy it was much as the retelling of the adventures of Robinson Crusoe, which I read before this one, but they are different stories so maybe it's not fair to compare the two.

Overall then I enjoyed this story. I migth have to look up the original author, to see what he's written and such. I'm curious.

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Koning Arthur (La Avventure di Re Artù)

17992729.jpg

Pages: 384

Date read: 04-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085921837

Synopsis (me): A retelling of some of the classic stories about King Arthur. Geronimo finds an old manuscript, written by one of his ancestors. It tells the stories of King Arthur.

My thoughts:

I've previously read Geronimo Stilton - Het Zwaard in de Steen, so I looked forward to find out how this book would differ from that. This book is longer.

This was a very enjoyable story. It is more detailed and different than Het Zwaard in de Steen, it goes on beyond it. It's a story within a story, though most of the book takes place in the Middle Ages. Only the start and finish take place in the 'nowadays'.

At the end of the story there are some pages with educational information about times back in the Middle Ages and about knights and castles and such. These pages were enjoyable to read too.

I quite enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and the illustrations. There were some great plot twists and I liked how the story didn't contain much violence or gory bits (it is a children's book after all). A lot of the (good) characters were honourable and kind.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this story. The beginning of it is similar to Het Zwaard in de Steen though more detailed, but the rest of the book is a different story than that book.

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 8: Fantasia VIII (Ottavo Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

18631498.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 384

Date read: 04-07-2015 <-> 05-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085922445

Synopsis (me): Geronimo travels to Fantasia again, to save the fairy queen and all of Fantasia.

My thoughts:

I was lucky to find this book at the library. The Fantasia books are very popular and most often loaned out. I've previously read books 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 (I haven't been able to find 3 and 4 yet, nor 9).

I really enjoyed reading another Fantasia book. As usual, the book contains a lot of extras after the story. The theme was 'time' (this time). These were interesting. The book also comes with smells (all the previous Fantasia books do) and it also comes with a card that reveals moving images.

I really liked the characters. I love how Geronimo is braver in this series than in other books. The cast of characters was pretty diverse, as usual. I really liked the illustrations, they were beautiful. This series is my favourite Stilton series.

I liked the plot twists and the writing style. The authros were very creative (as with all in the series).

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. I hope to find books 3, 4 and 9 (and others that might be published in the future) at the library some time.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Geronimo Stilton - De Kronieken van Fantasia 1: Het Verloren Rijk (Cronache Del Regno Della Fantasia 1: Il Reame Perduto)

15759276.jpg

Pages: 374 + 32

Date read: 05-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085921363

Synopsis (me): Saturno is a young elf who wants to restore the fallen kingdom.

My thoughts:

I've previously read and enjoyed book 5 in this series. So when I found book 1 (and book 2) at the library, I borrowed them.

The book consists of four parts. It is similarly designed as book 5 which I read earlier this year. There are some illustrations, in brown colour, and the font has the same colour. There are some comic pages in the middle of the book (32).

This was an enjoyable, suspenseful story. It was relaly nice to read this first book. I knew the characters from book 5, I liked most of them a lot. There was one I didn't like so much, but I think that is intentional (from the authors).

I liked the descriptions and the writing style. The book is suspenseful and has some good plot twists. I wanted to keep on reading it.

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book. I borrowed book 2 in this series as well as this one, so I will be reading book 2 next.

Geronimo Stilton - De Kronieken van Fantasia 2: De Betoverde Poort (Cronache Del Regno Della Fantasia 2: La Porta Incantata

1001004010953475.jpg

Pages: 343 + 32

Date read: 05-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085921455

Synopsis: (no synopsis because the book is part of a series).

My thoughts:

After reading book 1 in this series, I continued with book 2 (both library loans).

This book continues the story that began in book 1. It has four parts and is similar in design as book 1. There are some illustrations in brown colour and the font has the same colour. There are 32 coloured comic pages in the middle of the book. Like all the books in the series (I assume), the borders of pages of the book are lined with little patterns.

This was another enjoyable story. I liked the characters, old and new. I liked the plot twists and I'm curious how the story will continue. I hope to find the books I haven't read yet of this series, in the library some time.

Congrats on your reading, Gaia. 261! I don't think I've read that many books in my entire life. :giggle2:

Thanks, Laura :)!

Re: the scary Baantjer cover

I noticed it a bit less than you two did, because my copy of the book is an ex-library copy, and it conveniently has a library tag sticker over most of the eyeballs :D:P.

Edited by Athena

Thea Stilton - Princessen van Fantasia 4: De Woudprinses (Principesse del Regno della Fantasia 4: Principessa Delle Foreste)

16002689.jpg

Pages: 279 + 16

Date read: 06-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085921813

My thoughts:

I've read books 1 and 3 in this series and liked them, so when I saw this book at the library I borrowed it. I was curious how the story would continue.

This book is similar in design as the other two I've read. There are 16 coloured pages in the middle of th ebook with extra information about Yara (sort of the main character in this book). The illustrations are a sort of brown / grey colour (to fit in with the jungle theme) and the font has that same colour.

It was nice to read this fourth book. It was suspenseful and while I found a few twists predictable, the book did manage to surprise me in particularly the second half.

I liked the characters, there are more and more of them with each new book in the series.

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. I really want to read the next few books in the series. I'm not sure how many more there are, but I'd like to read them all.

Congrats on your reading, Gaia. 261! I don't think I've read that many books in my entire life. :giggle2:

Ya but your books are like a billion pages!  :giggle2:

Thea Stilton - Princessen van Fantasia 4: De Woudprinses (Principesse del Regno della Fantasia 4: Principessa Delle Foreste)

Overall then I enjoyed reading this book. I really want to read the next few books in the series. I'm not sure how many more there are, but I'd like to read them all.

Have I asked before if she is related to Geronimo?  Did you say brother and sister?  I'm glad you are liking the series.  Loving that library for you :)

Haha, it's true, Laura's books often have a lot of pages :giggle2:.

Have I asked before if she is related to Geronimo?  Did you say brother and sister?  I'm glad you are liking the series.  Loving that library for you :)

You have, but I don't mind talking about it again :), Thea is Geronimo's sister. He manages the newspaper, she is a journalist and works for the newspaper. Geronimo also writes books, as does Thea (in the stories, and the books are then what you are reading). Klem is Geronimo's cousin / nephew (I'm unsure which translation works here as I'm not sure how they're related as the Dutch word 'neef' can mean either of these two translations) and Geronimo also has another cousin / nephew named Benjamin, he's a child but Geronimo likes him a lot (he's Geronimo's favourite cousin / nephew).

In English the names have been translated differently, from Wikipedia:

He has a younger sister named Thea Stilton,[3] a cousin named Trap Stilton,[3] and a favorite little nephew, nine-year-old Benjamin Stilton.

In the original Italian the names are similar but slightly different than the Dutch and English ones.

Geronimo Stilton, nato a Topazia, la capitale dell’Isola dei Topi, è un topo intellettuale, laureato in Topologia della Letteratura Rattica e in Filosofia Archeotopica Comparata. Dirige l’Eco del Roditore, il giornale più famoso dell’Isola dei Topi, fondato da suo nonno Torquato Travolgiratti. Nel tempo libero, Geronimo colleziona antiche croste di formaggio del Settecento, ma soprattutto adora scrivere libri. È innamorato di Patty Spring. Il suo punto debole è che non riesce mai a rifiutare nulla al suo nipotino Benjamin (per questo capita spesso che gli altri chiedano a Benjamin di chiedere allo zio di fare qualcosa che Geronimo, se fosse per lui, non farebbe assolutamente).

Tea Stilton, sorella di Geronimo, è l'inviata speciale e fotografa dell'Eco del Roditore. È molto sportiva, grintosa, spericolata ed esperta di tutti gli sport estremi, e guida sempre una grossa moto (e a causa di questi aspetti della sua personalità forma uno strano contrasto con il fratello, dal carattere diametralmente opposto). È inoltre molto atletica e affascinante, e per questo ha moltissimi corteggiatori ed ha avuto e lasciato innumerevoli fidanzati.

Benjamin Stilton, nipote preferito di Geronimo, ha nove anni. Educato, curioso e intelligente, è molto bravo a scuola, tranne in educazione fisica, in cui, come lo zio, è una schiappa. È esperto di tecnologia e informatica, per questo aiuta sempre lo zio, che invece è una vera frana con qualsiasi forma di tecnologia.È innamorato di Pandora .Spesso accompagna lo zio nelle sue avventure, come poi Geronimo racconta nei suoi libri.

Trappola Stilton, cugino di Geronimo e Tea. Ama molto cucinare e anche mangiare. La sua specialità è la salsa trappolosa, un sugo piccantissimo. Ama anche fare molti dispetti e scherzi, anche pesanti, a Geronimo (che, come tutti in famiglia, gli vuole comunque molto bene) e finisce per cacciarsi spesso nei guai. Ha una personalità poliedrica, ha svolto e cambiato moltissimi lavori anche assurdi, ed ha salvato senza volerlo il prezioso quadro di Monna Topisa da un incendio (non si era accorto che il quadro stava andando a fuoco, voleva solo bere un'aranciata e aprendo la lattina lo spruzzo era finito casualmente sul quadro), diventando un eroe. È convinto di discendere dal "nobile" casato dei Von Trappen di Transtopacchia, finché in Una granita di mosche per il conte", partirà per la Transtopacchia, scoprendo di non discendere dai Von Trappen, ma dal nobile decaduto Trappola Testadura.

Edited by Athena

Haha, it's true, Laura's books often have a lot of pages :giggle2:.

:lol: Perhaps it's time I invested in some short story collections . . . but most fantasy anthologies are enormous! :giggle2:

Gaia.  Gaia!!  I am overwhelmed!  Not only by your progression in all genre.....but in the amount of reading, your lessening of actual purchases and great use of your library system.  And that isn't even counting your work on separating genre, gender etc.  The graphs are a thing of beauty!

So very Well Done!  :cool:  :cows:  :friends0:

:she:

Great stuff, Gaia! Hopefully I'll get my database up-to-date enough one day so I can get this level of detail. I have too much missing information at the moment!

:lol: Perhaps it's time I invested in some short story collections . . . but most fantasy anthologies are enormous! :giggle2:

That's very true :giggle2:!

:she:

Great stuff, Gaia! Hopefully I'll get my database up-to-date enough one day so I can get this level of detail. I have too much missing information at the moment!

Thanks, Kylie :)! Good luck with your database :).

Thea Stilton - Heksen van Fantasia 5: De Heks van Stof en As (Principesse del Regno della Fantasia 11: Strega Della Cenere)

9200000036494842.jpg

Pages: 279 + 16

Date read: 06-07-2015 <-> 07-07-2015

ISBN: 9789085922940

My thoughts:

This was the last Stilton library loan left to read (out of those I borrowed). Apparently this series takes place after the Princessen van Fantasia series (which is much more apparent in the original Italian than in the Dutch version). In that sense it does spoil things a bit to read this book. It's hard thgouh with authors this popular, to read the books in order in a somewhat shorter amount of time, as opposed to having to wait for book 1 to be available, then book 2, etc. I started to read John Flanagan's books near the beginning of the year, out of order, and there are still 2 I've not yet seen available for loan (while I was there). Anyway, I had not seen this Heksen van Fantasia series ebfore, and I've been going to the library since last December (this particular book though is published in 2015, the Dutch translation that is).

The book has a blue font, with blue illustrations (some, not a lot), and in the middle of the book there are 16 full coloured pages with information about the witch of dust and ash, Cinderia.

This was a suspenseful story. It is a shame that by reading this book, I do know bits about what happened in the previous four books in the series, and about the Princessen van Fantasia series. I did however like the characters, they were interesting. It was also nice to read some parts of the story from the evil witches' perspectives.

I liked the plot twists and I'm curious now how the story will continue and end. I hope to find the other books in this series in the library some time, so I can read them.

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 7: De Blauwe Maanprinses (La Principessa Luna Blu)

1001004011296236.jpg

Pages: 144

Date read: 07-07-2015

ISBN: 9789054617464

Synopsis (me): Milla and Sugar try to find Sugar's dad, who disappeared two years ago.

My thoughts:

I've read books 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9 of this series, all of which I liked. So when I saw book 7, and 8, at the library, I borrowed them. I saved them for the read-a-thon but I read all of my Stilton loans first. I didn't get around to reading the rest of my children's library loans then, so I'm reading them a few days after the read-a-thon.

This was an enjoyable story. I liked the characters. The story was entertaining and I liked the plot twists and illustrations. I also liked the theme of 'books' in the story (always a bonus, in a book). After the story, as usual, there are a couple of pages of extras.

Overall I liked this book and I will be reading book 8 next.

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 8: De Heksenjager (Il Cacciotore di Streghe)

9200000000037234.jpg

Pages: 144

Date read: 07-07-2015

ISBN: 9789054618737

Synopsis (me): A professor moves into the house next door of Milla. But he is acting a bit weird...

My thoughts:

After reading book 7 I went on to read book 8. I enjoyed all the books I've read so far of the series (books 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9).

This was a nice story. The books are somewhat funny and I liked the characters and plot twists. I liked Minerva quite a lot, including her name (I once wrote some things with a character with that name). The illustrations were nice.

Overall I enjoyed this book and I hope to find the books I haven't read yet in this series, at the library some time.

Hilde E. Gerard and Eric Bouwens - Heinrich Ooooh 4: Heinrich Ooooh & het Grandioos Griezelige Galabal

24655664.jpg

Genre: Horror

Pages: 130

Date read: 08-07-2015

ISBN: 9789059085602

Synopsis (me): The G&G Hotel celebrates its fifth-year anniversary with a big party. But Hannelore goes missing...

My thoughts:

I really liked the first three books in th eseries and was therefore pleased to have found book 4 at the library.

The book contains some extras throughout the story, such as recipes and extra information about certain creatures / monsters such as ghosts.

This book was very enjoyable. There were a lot of familiar characters from the previous frew books, including ones that were only in one of the three previous books. I really enjoyed reading about these characters again.

The story is funny and has some great plot twists. The illustations are nice. I like how diverse the characters are. I really enjoyed this story. It was pretty funny too.

I don't know if there are any more books in the series (this book was published in 2014), but if there are, I'd like to find them at the library some time so I can read them.

Being a member of the library must save you a fortune in books every year! You're so lucky that they have so many books you like to read. :)

It does! Though I've not been a member for a year yet, so I wouldn't know exactly :lol:. I became a member last December. I agree :), I find it quite lucky, and I'm always happy to find some nice books there. Though the library doesn't have much adult science-fiction and not a whole lot of adult fantasy (though they do have some), particularly in English for these two (not much SF gets translated), but gladly I have my own books for that :wub:.

David Walliams - The Boy in the Dress

4883204.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 233

Date read: 08-07-2015 <-> 09-07-2015

ISBN: 9780007279036

Synopsis (GoodReads): The sparkling debut children's novel from David Walliams, co-creator and co-star of the multi-award-winning Little Britain. Dennis was different. Why was he different, you ask? Well, a small clue might be in the title of this book! Charming, surprising and hilarious -- The Boy in the Dress is everything you would expect from the co-creator of Little Britain. David Walliams's beautiful first novel will touch the hearts (and funny bones) of children and adults alike.

My thoughts:

I really liked the two books I've read of this author, Gangsta Granny and Awful Auntie. So when I saw this book at the library I borrowed it.

I liked the illustrations (by Quentin Blake). The story was quite enjoyable. There were some funny moments in the book. I quite liked the characters and the plot twists. It was great to read about Raj again too, this shop owner makes an appearance in I think all of David Walliams' books.

I also liked the cross-dressing vs. the football (soccer?) element, that was nicely done. Overall I really enjoyed this book. I have one other book borrowed from the library by the author, Joe Biljoen (Billionaire Boy) which I will be reading next. I'll be on the lookout for more of the author's books, so far I've liked all three I read.