Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy yourself :D! I can imagine how you feel, I sometimes feel embarrassed when I browse the children's section in the library, the one adult (without a child) between the children (with sometimes an adult).

Yeah I can understand it, I even feel a tad silly sometimes walking into the YA section of Waterstones. But I definitely would never let that feeling make me miss an author! And I still browse the YA section anyway :lol:

Thanks everyone.

I don't have any problem with browsing and buying in the children's or YA sections in bookshops, Noll, but it's more about being so shy and awkward with strangers, but mix in that I'll also be grinning like an idiot because I love her books, when there are actually a bunch of kids who should be the focus, and I end up feeling even more out of place than usual!   :D

I imagine the author will love a bit of adult interaction Claire. Certainly it must be brilliant to know that adults are enjoying your books every bit as much as children. Go and be confident. I'm sure it'll be fine.

You won't be the only adult there for a start I bet. 

Thanks everyone.

I don't have any problem with browsing and buying in the children's or YA sections in bookshops, Noll, but it's more about being so shy and awkward with strangers, but mix in that I'll also be grinning like an idiot because I love her books, when there are actually a bunch of kids who should be the focus, and I end up feeling even more out of place than usual!   :D

Hope you enjoy the book signing! :smile: I don't think you will look out of place at all, as children book signings are...hectic with the excited kiddy winkies :D   :hide:

I'm with poppyshake, I would think that the author would be just really happy and pleased to find out that adults love her books as well! I do hope you go/went :yes: (Although I know what you mean about being a bit shy about it and perhaps a bit anxious. I'm the same way.)

Edit: Read more closely and it's this weekend, so probably hasn't happened yet. Like Janet said, you might regret it if you don't go, and also, if you get cold feet when you get there, you can pretend you're only browsing. At least you'll have seen her! :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

Snuck in before the official start time and got my books signed and had a little chat with Emma Carroll.  She was lovely, and signed all my books for me, and I even got a badge! :D  Hope she had lots of children turn up to listen to the reading, and the writing workshop she held afterwards. 

That's so great! :smile2: You managed to avoid the queuing and could have a proper chat with her without anyone sighing and stomping their feet in order to get there to talk to the author themselves :D I'm so happy you went and it turned out so well! :)

Thanks everyone. :)

Brilliant Claire, glad it all worked out so well in the end. Hopefully you celebrated with more book purchases?! :)

I didn't!  I'm really trying to be good and not buy any more at the moment, but I have got some money saved from my book jar tin, plus enough for another book on my loyalty card, and I'm not far off finishing one of the £10 stamp cards too, so when that book jar is empty, I'll be going back with a vengeance! :lol:

Going to try and catch up with a few reviews if I can!

The Boy in the Smoke by Maureen Johnson

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):
On a cold night, Stephen Dene went to the Eton boathouse to perform a desperate act. But someone stopped him along the way, sending his life in a new and decidedly strange direction--leading him to London, to two new friends, and to a world of shadows and mystery.

Review:
This short story is kind of a prequel to The Name of the Star, telling us more about who Steven Dene is and how he came to be in the story of the first book.  Quite enjoyable reading after finished the first book. :)  I like Maureen Johnson's writing, and although I'm not sure I will carry on reading this series, I think I'd be happy to look at some of her other books.

The Green Hill Murder by Kerry Greenwood

Blood and Circuses by Kerry Greenwood

Ruddy Gore by Kerry Greenwood

These are books 5-7 in the Phryne Fisher series, so I won't give a synopsis, other than to say they are three more murder mysteries set in the between the wars in Melbourne.

Review:

I am really enjoying this series, in fact, if it weren't for the fact that the Kindle books have been difficult to get hold of, I think I'd probably be a lot further through the series.  I like the assertive, forthright and forward thinking Phryne and her unconventional lifestyle, and I enjoy reading about her detective skills.  Having said that, I didn't particularly like the settings of the circus and the theatre in the last two books, but that was just down to my personal preference, as I missed the home life and the contact with the characters I've come to know from the earlier stories.  Will definitely be carrying on with the series in the future.

House-Bound by Winifred Peck

Synopsis:
House-Bound was written during the war and the war is both in the background and foreground: one of the questions that the reader is asked throughout the book is – what is courage? This is another book which gives an incredible picture of life during the war as it actually was rather than viewed with hindsight.

House-Bound also contains a more unusual theme: Rose’s daughter Flora is difficult, petulant and horrible to her mother, which is not something often written about in fiction (for obvious reasons, but perhaps Winifred Peck felt able to write about Flora because she had no daughters). Flora finally turns a corner; but it is painful to read about her until that happens.

Review:
This is the first Persephone book I had to put down and come back to after a break, as I found it quite stiff in its tone and I did struggle initially. However, when I picked it up a second time and set my mind to it, it was a very interesting story. The book is set during the second world war, and essentially, it's a time when wealthy families were finding it increasingly difficult to retain staff in service. Male staff were called up, and women were filling the mens jobs and finding their own careers, and those from the upper-middle and middle classes could no longer find staff to clean and run the household, so had to learn to do for themselves. This follows one particular woman and how she learns just how hard housework and cooking are, and how it changes her life and affects her family.

I think this is probably my least favourite of the Persephone books so far, and although interesting, a bit dry, and hard to take in more than one or two chapters at a time. That's not to say it's a duffer, but certainly a lot harder work that most of the ones I've read so far.

Going to Sea in a Sieve by Danny Baker

Synopsis:
Danny Baker is one of the most recognisable voices on British radio. Working as writer, presenter and broadcaster he has seen, as an insider, much of what has come to pass in British popular culture both in music and TV for over 30 years. Now, Danny tells his own story. Born in 1957 to a boisterous working-class family in Deptford and leaving comprehensive school at fourteen he traded a rich, if hard-edged, upbringing for an almost immediate, if accidental, life in London's (very) fast lane.

In Going to Sea in a Sieve, the first volume of his memoirs, Danny explosively and honestly recalls the extraordinary roots of his long career. From the lie of being David Essex's brother and the myth that he killed Bob Marley, to real-life dealings with Marc Bolan, The Clash, John Lennon, Elton John, Tommy Cooper, Spike Milligan and, most famously, Michael Jackson. Danny Baker's autobiography is a wild and wildly funny take on the collision between an incident-packed British childhood and a wild rock-and-roll youth. By the time his life in TV comes along, the Deptford boy had well and truly been around the block.

"I think these years," he says, "are why I never bought a big red car in my 40s or have never envied a single soul."

Some people knuckle down and plan their life's voyage. Just a few will recklessly go to sea in a sieve...

Review:
It's no secret I'm a fan of Danny Baker as a broadcaster.  He is one of the most entertaining radio presenters I've listened to, and he has a fantastic way of drawing stories out of people, whether they are members of the public phoning in, celebrity interviews or even just taking part in a quiz.  I love his sense of humour and his love of life, finding the extraordinary in the everyday.  Reading this book was just like listening to his telling stories on the radio, witty, fun and full of life.  His voice jumps off the page at you, and despite having heard some of the stories (more than once on some occasions) on his radio programme, it was just as compelling to read them as it is to listen to them.

Loved it!  Will definitely read the follow up (and I think I read somewhere there will be a third one coming next year, but not 100% sure about that), and can't wait to see the television adaptation due on the BBC later this year.

The Goddess of Buttercups and Daisies by Martin Millar

Synopsis:

The year is 421 BC and playwright Aristophanes is struggling. He's halfway through his new masterpiece but it's tough keeping focused with politicians shouting for war, the public demanding peace, a terrifyingly poor poet on the loose and an assortment of gods (who are no better than they ought to be) skipping about causing untold mischief. Worst of all, his comedy fake phalluses have gone floppy. His chances of winning first prize at the Dionysia Festival are looking weaker by the day - and that's before the death threats begin ...

Review:

This was an impulse buy from my local bookshop, in fact, I'm not sure I even read the whole of the synopsis, but loved the title and the cover of the book, and thought I'd give it a chance.  I didn't really have any expectations, but it was a genuine pleasure to read, and something out of the ordinary from my usual reading.

Set in ancient Greece but written almost as if it was  a piece about ordinary people as if it were contemporary times, with great humour and wit, and I actually learned something about the democracy of Athens.  I'm not saying it was laugh out loud (but then not many books are) but definitely put a smile on my face a lot of the time I was reading it, and I loved the idea of the goddesses and their role in the lives of those they oversee.  Very enjoyable, and certainly something different for me.

Walking Home by Clare Balding

Synopsis:

Clare Balding is on a mission to discover Britain and Ireland. She's conquered over 1,500 miles of footpaths, from the Pennine Way to the South-west Coast Path. As well as blisters and a twisted ankle, she's walked with extraordinary people - botanists, barefooted ramblers, whisky-drinking widowers...

In Walking Home she shares these stories and tells of more (mis)adventures with her family and her wayward Tibetan terrier Archie. Along the way there are beguiling diversions and life-changing rambles. Finally, Clare embarks on the most important journey of all - the long walk home.

Review:

Another of my favourite presenters, Clare Balding presents one of my favourite radio programmes of all time, Ramblings. It's basically a half hour programme with Clare joining someone or a group of people on a walk and finding out about why they walk, where they walk, why it's special to them and what walking means to them. This book follows a bit of the history of Ramblings with some stories behind the radio programmes, and also what walking means to Clare herself, and how she incorporates it into her life.

I absolutely loved this book. As a companion to the radio series it was brilliant, and I remembered most of the episodes that are discussed in the book, but I also loved the stories of her walks with her family, her partner Alice, and the story of their dogs, especially Archie, who I've seen with her on Crufts as well as heard of him on the programme when he occasionally joins Clare and her walking companions on the radio. A lovely, lovely read.