Claire's Book List 2015

chesilbeach

Bought myself some new books today. :smile2:

Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens

The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable

The Apple Tart of Hope by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald

Violet and the Pearl of the Orient by Harriet Whitehorn, illustrated by Becka Moor

I'm going to add these to my mini YA TBR pile, and then when I've got some time off work soon, I'll have splurge on them all.  Will be a nice break after the few books I've read recently that have been all set in France and most during the two world wars or between them!  Need to read the first book of Middlemarch which should keep me occupied until I'm off. :D

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought myself some new books today. :smile2:

The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable

The Apple Tart of Hope by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald

Violet and the Pearl of the Orient by Harriet Whitehorn, illustrated by Becka Moor

I'm going to add these to my mini YA TBR pile, and then when I've got some time off work soon, I'll have splurge on them all.  Will be a nice break after the few books I've read recently that have been all set in France and most during the two world wars or between them!  Need to read the first book of Middlemarch which should keep me occupied until I'm off. :D

I saw Violet and the Pearl of the Orient the other day when browsing and it looks delightful. I was thinking about my niece Daisy but of course .. would want to read it first :D  Love the look of it with all the illustrations mixed in with the text etc (when I got home looked up the reviews and they were mostly good so encouraging). The Apple Tart of Hope .. what a title!! :D 

Hope you enjoy these Claire and that they fit the bill .. I'm sure they will :) xx

Thanks Kay, the synopsis of The Apple Tart of Hope also sounds brilliant ...

Oscar Dunleavy, who used to make the world's most perfect apple tarts, is missing, presumed dead. No-one seems too surprised, except for Meg, his best friend, and his little brother Stevie. Surrounded by grief and confusion, Meg and Stevie are determined to find out what happened to Oscar, and together they learn about loyalty and friendship and the power of never giving up hope.

Thanks Kay, the synopsis of The Apple Tart of Hope also sounds brilliant ...

Oscar Dunleavy, who used to make the world's most perfect apple tarts, is missing, presumed dead. No-one seems too surprised, except for Meg, his best friend, and his little brother Stevie. Surrounded by grief and confusion, Meg and Stevie are determined to find out what happened to Oscar, and together they learn about loyalty and friendship and the power of never giving up hope.

.. and the power of the healing properties of an apple tart I hope. Sounds good Claire .. like there'll be lots of food in it :D I hope Oscar is only presumed dead .. or that he's left his recipe behind anyway :D

Thanks Alexi :)  I've listened to book one twice over so that I could make sure I got everything. :lol:  I've actually read it a few years back … pre-Kindle, and the paperback was so heavy ... meaning to come back to it but never did, but it did mean I sort of knew it anyway so I was happy to listen to it.  I normally only listen to audiobooks if I've already read the book, otherwise I tend to miss things.  Enjoying it so far. :D

Ooh, the jar has spoken … next up will be Celia by E. H. Young.  Can't deny it, I'm a bit nervous about this one … OH loves this author, although hasn't read her books for over twenty years, and I've only read one a long time ago too.  Now just need to get the book down from the top shelf of the bookcase … will have to send OH mountaineering to get it for me! :lol:

Dimanche and other stories by Irène Némirovsky

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

Since the publication of Suite Française in English in 2006 some of Némirovsky’s other novels have been published in the UK. Dimanche and Other Stories is the first volume of the short stories to have been translated into English. There are ten, written between 1934 and 1942, two of which prefigure Suite Française. Their settings are bourgeois Paris, where Némirovsky’s parents lived after they left Russia, Biarritz, and the Russia of her childhood. Each story is a novel in miniature: whether describing the impatience of a girl waiting for her lover, the tortured relationships of a large family, or the emotions of someone fleeing the German invasion, Némirovsky is always an acute observer, delicate, perceptive, ironic.

Review:

Thanks to the Jar of Destiny, this was the second Némirovsky book I read in a row. This time, however, it was a collection of short stories. I know short stories aren't to everyone's taste, but I mostly enjoy them, and this was no exception.

I've written above about Némirovsky's writing style being sparse, but I found her writing in the short form denser and richer, finding it fascinating how different it was, and yet still retained something of her signature. There are definitely some themes that are similar to those of her novels, and some set yet again in during the war, but one thing I felt connected them was that I felt more affection for and connection with the characters than in her novels.  Having read her work translated by more than one person, there's still a distinctive style to her writing, and considering it was written over fifty years ago, there is a very modern feel to her work.

The stand out story was Liens du sang (Flesh and Blood) where the matriarch of a family of grown up children falls seriously ill, and her children and their spouses gather around what may be her death bed. It was a compelling insight into the dynamics of the family, and I couldn't find fault with it.

One thing that does stand out is that some of the stories must have been written when she was quite young … on one occasion, a fifty year old is described as a "frail old man" … I'm over 40, so what does that make me?  :o 

Despite that, it was an excellent collection, and I adored reading it. Yet another fantastic book from Persephone … with another gorgeous end paper. I love this publisher. :wub:

Misty Falls by Joss Stirling

Synopsis (from waterstones.com):

Misty is a one-girl disaster zone. Born with a Savant 'gift' that means she can never tell a lie, her compulsive truth-telling gets her into trouble wherever she goes. So when she meets Alex: gorgeous, confident, and impossibly charming, Misty instantly resolves to keep her distance ...Someone so perfect could never be hers, surely? But a dark shadow has fallen across the Savant community. A serial killer is stalking young people who have these special mental powers. Soon one of them will be taken to the edge of death ...and beyond.

Review:

I'm not going to say too much about this YA book, as it's the fourth in a series, and I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who might read it. What I will say is that it's another gripping story, and although there is romance in there, the thriller elements of the story are far more important. The serial killer, when revealed, has a supernatural power that I found chilling, and the more I think about it, the more it makes me shudder at the thought of being under his power. If you like the series, you will definitely like this book, although far less emphasis on the Benedict family as in the previous stories.

One thing that does stand out is that some of the stories must have been written when she was quite young … on one occasion, a fifty year old is described as a "frail old man" … I'm over 40, so what does that make me?  :o 

It's a wonder I've been spared thus far :DI eat buns to ward off frailness :D

Glad you enjoyed it Claire :hug: they are indeed gorgeous books and Irène is a fantastic writer. It's interesting what you say about having read different translations and yet her unique voice comes through .. I hadn't thought about that before. 

I looked up the first of those Joss Stirling books and I'm intrigued by how it sounds so generic but has really great reviews. I miiiiiiiiiiight give it a go. The cover (the one showing up on Goodreads anyway) is beautiful.

It's very much in the YA vein of supernatural and romance, but I like those type of books.  Having said that, I've read a lot that I thought were too generic and just picking up ideas from other writers, but this had more originality to it than that.  The good thing is the romance, while crucial to the story, isn't the main focus and it isn't a swoony type of romance.  I think you'd certainly find it a quick read, if nothing else!

That is a *huge* thing for me - I've read Angelfall by Susan Ee on Michelle's recommendation with the same condition, that the romance isn't the focus, and I LOVED that book. I'll probably give the first one of these a go when I need a break from the chunkier books I've been reading :)

All Fall Down by Ally Carter

I don't mean to get into trouble. Trouble just sort of finds me.

Grace has been shipped off to stay with her diplomat Grandpa in the glittering Embassy Row, a place where trespassing into the wrong garden can cause an international incident. Grace knows the rules - she's ignored them before - but however much she wants to change, she can't. Not while she's certain of three things:

1. She isn't crazy.
2. Her mother was murdered.
3. Someday she's going to find the man with the scar, and then she is going to make him pay.

Review:
I love Ally Carter's stories. In the past she's written series about a spy school for teenage girls and another about a teenager high society criminals. This book is the first in her new series Embassy Row and is a bit darker in tone. Grace has been treated by psychiatrists following witnessing the death of her mother when she was just thirteen. Her father is in the military and and now at sixteen, she's back in the embassy where her grandfather is a US ambassador, in the city where the tragedy happened.

I love the energy is her stories, and there's an urgency to this one as Grace tries to convince everyone that her mother was murdered, and then tries to solve the mystery for herself, while all the time trying to overcome people's perception of her mental state, despite still suffering from crippling flashbacks at times.

It's credit to the author that I didn't see the the end coming. It was a complete surprise and an absolute shock, but wasn't afraid to shy away from a difficult resolution. And then when you think it's all over, she throws you another curve ball and sets up the series to go in a whole new direction. Loved it.

The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. After their secret romance is exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to the Bloodlines series. When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world...

Review:

I'm a big fan of Richelle Mead and I think I've read nearly everything she written.  I particularly liked her YA series, and I think I've enjoyed Bloodlines more than the original Vampire Academy series, so it was a bit bittersweet reading the last book of the story.

As always, the action runs along at a cracking pace, with Sydney and Adrian facing enemies and situations that threaten their own lives, their future together and potentially change their society forever.  I love the alternating narratives from Sydney and Adrian's perspectives, and the sense of peril is always incredibly well done.

When I initially finished it, I thought it was a great end to the series, but having thought about it for a bit, I'm actually a very tiny bit disappointed.  I think the end bought too many loose ends conveniently together, and I actually feel that it was a little bit unbelievable that certain parties would have acted in the way they did and that out of nowhere a new element was introduced which helped with the resolution.  I know this is ridiculous as the story is based on groups of vampires and secret societies, but it all felt a bit unrealistic within this world.  It doesn't take too much away from the series as a whole, and I'm reasonably happy with the ending which was the weak point of the story, but still a great series of books.

When Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong set up their very own deadly secret detective agency at Deepdean School for Girls, they struggle to find any truly exciting mysteries to investigate. (Unless you count the case of Lavinia's missing tie. Which they don't, really). But then Hazel discovers the Science Mistress, Miss Bell, lying dead in the Gym. She thinks it must all have been a terrible accident - but when she and Daisy return five minutes later, the body has disappeared. Now the girls know a murder must have taken place ...and there's more than one person at Deepdean with a motive. 

Now Hazel and Daisy not only have a murder to solve: they have to prove a murder happened in the first place. Determined to get to the bottom of the crime before the killer strikes again (and before the police can get there first, naturally), Hazel and Daisy must hunt for evidence, spy on their suspects and use all the cunning, scheming and intuition they can muster. But will they succeed? And can their friendship stand the test?

Shortlisted for the Best Fiction for 5-12s category of the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize 2015

Review:

What was not to like about this book … a boarding school for girls, a 1930s pre-war setting and a murder case to solve!  Full of charm and a big dollop of fun, it rattles along and gradually reveals as much about Hazel and Daisy themselves as it does about the life in the boarding school.  There's all the intrigues and liaisons of the school mistresses and school masters who must think they're being discreet, but all the girls know what is really going on.  Hazel and Daisy search for clues and practise their sleuthing techniques trying to solve the murder themselves.

I don't know what to say without spoiling the plot, but I will just say, I absolutely loved reading this book.  I read it in less than a day, and it's another great addition to the boarding school books I've loved, with plenty of peril and humour rubbing up against each other, and a good old fashioned romp!  Will definitely be getting the next book in the series, Arsenic For Tea, as soon as I get to a bookshop, and delighted to see the third book, First Class Murder will be out in the summer.

I don't know what to say without spoiling the plot, but I will just say, I absolutely loved reading this book.  I read it in less than a day, and it's another great addition to the boarding school books I've loved, with plenty of peril and humour rubbing up against each other, and a good old fashioned romp!  Will definitely be getting the next book in the series, Arsenic For Tea, as soon as I get to a bookshop, and delighted to see the third book, First Class Murder will be out in the summer.

Brilliant review Claire .. I LOVE the sound of it. I must just add though .. please don't go to a bookshop for a few more days  :blush2:  :D 

And here's the reason I wasn't allowed to go bookshopping! :lol:

post-4870-0-30579500-1424795402_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to wait after finishing my current book before starting Arsenic for Tea. :D  Cowgirl was on my wish list, as it's one of the Waterstone's shortlist for 5-12s, so delighted to receive this one.  I'd not heard of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place but it looks really good, and I love the cover design.

I love this little edition of Jane Austen's The Beautifull Cassandra … I was sure I heard Stephen Fry say he was filming an adaptation, but I've just looked it up, and it's actually Love and Friendship he's filming.

I'm a very lucky lady!  Thank you, Kay, they're all lovely  :flowers2: