Gyre's adventures with Margaret Atwood blog

Weave

Since I have been reading a lot of books by Margaret Atwood this year, I have decided to start a blog.

Books I have read so far

Novels:

1. The Edible Woman

2. Lady Oracle

3. The Handmaid's Tale

4. The Robber Bride

5. Alias Grace

6. The Blind Assassin

7. Oryx and Crake

8. The Penelopiad

9. Cat's Eye

Short fiction collection:

1. Wilderness Tips

2. Dancing Girls

3. Good Bones

4. Murder in the Dark

5. The Tent

6. Bluebeard's Egg

Books to be read:

Novels:

1. Surfacing

2. Life Before Man

3. Bodily Harm

1. Through the One-Way Mirror

2. Bones and Murders

3. Moral Disorder

A6-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished 'Dancing Girls', what a interesting collection of short stories, some where a bit, well blah, but the rest of them where fantastic, especially 'The Man from Mars' x:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, she really has written more than I thought.

Have you considered giving us some thoughts on the books you've read and maybe a comparison? I've never really known where to start with Margaret Atwood and you seem to be gathering such a wealth of information. Would you care to share a little with those of us who are interested :)

Yes, I was just wondering which of the ones you've read so far you enjoyed most and why. I've only read 2 Atwood books (The Robber Bride and The Handmaid's Tale) and I don't think I quite got her, though I understand that she's rather highly-though-of, so if you could suggest another one you think I might enjoy more, I'd be most grateful. :)

Sorry everyone, I kept forgetting to elaborate more.

Here goes...:D

1. The Edible Woman

I loved 'The Edible Woman', it was a brilliant story. The main character gets engaged and has to decide whether she really wants to get married, so it explores the sexes, etc and it is really well done.

Highly recommended.

2. Lady Oracle

Another great read, Margaret Atwood that really catches the essence of a character, the character in this book being Joan, a woman who has decided to fake her own death for nunerous reasons, 'Lady Oracle' explores the person that Joan is, very interesting.

Highly recommended

3. The Handmaid's Tale

This was the first book of Margaret Atwood's I read and I have read it twice since, brilliant story, the idea of it is terrifying, that it could happen, the world changing in such a way, that children are used as a commodity.

Highly Recommended

4. The Robber Bride

'The Robber Bride' is a hard book to follow, there is so much going on, the male characters are nothing short of pathetic but I did enjoy the story.

Highly recommended

5. Alias Grace

A strange but very compelling book which I enjoyed, it really makes you think. A great ending.

Highly recommended

6. The Blind Assassin

'The Blind Assassin' tells the story of untimely death, betrayal and sadness. It is very complicated at points because the story changes so quickly and I found Laura annoying at times but a brilliant book.

Highly recommended

7. Oryx and Crake

My favourite Margaret Atwood book, I loved it, I thought Snowman was a great character, the story was just a masterpiece, a book I will read again and again.

Highly recommended

8. The Penelopiad

Tells the story of Penelope, wife of Odysseus and puts a very different twist to the story, what is all the fuss about Helen of Troy?, why does Odysseus avoid Penelope in the afterlife?, a very humorous tale, you can not help but love Penelope, she deals with every situation with determination.

Highly recommended

9. Cat's Eye

'Cat's Eye' was gripping from the start, the story explores all aspects of girl friendships, sometimes in a frightening way.

Highly recommended.

1. Wilderness Tips

2. Dancing Girls

3. Good Bones

4. Murder in the Dark

5. The Tent

6. Bluebeard's Egg

Here is the hard part, I think Margaret Atwood is brilliant at writing novels but when it comes to short stories, I am kind of left empty, if that makes sense?, the stories are well written but very hard to get, there does not seem to be a whole lot of point to them, but please do not take my word for it.

Margaret Atwood can be hard to get in to, I found that with a lot of her books, but it is worth it.

:)

Yes, I was just wondering which of the ones you've read so far you enjoyed most and why. I've only read 2 Atwood books (The Robber Bride and The Handmaid's Tale) and I don't think I quite got her, though I understand that she's rather highly-though-of, so if you could suggest another one you think I might enjoy more, I'd be most grateful. :)

Kell..

Give 'Alias Grace' and 'Oryx and Crake', I think you will enjoy them. :D

• 1 month later...

Well, the first one I managed to get hold of through Book Mooch is Surfacing, so next Atwood I read will be that one. Now I've just got to make my way to it through all the OTHER books on Mount TBR! I'll be picking up the others of hers that are in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die at some point - I want to see how many of the books on that list I can read (obviously I won't read ALL of them, as there will be some that are of no interest to me whatever, but I'd like to give as many of them a go as I can!).