Schultz Reading 2015

BSchultz19

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have some very interesting goals for 2015. Some of them sound quite heavy. :thud:

I like your challenges as well - there are many interesting books on there.

Some standouts (in my opinion) on your 'want to read' lists are:

Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Hope you have a great reading year!

Water for Elephants sounds familiar but I'm unsure if it's on my wishlist or whether I've just heard of it (I need to re-do my wishlist).

It's probably because I read it :P  It was a favorable book for me. 

It comes highly recommended by me, but I thought The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared was better.

I plan on reading The Giver this year.

My word I got a little stressed out just skimming your lists and challenges! You've an exciting year lined up, hope you find some new favourites :) I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for recommendations, looks like it'll be a busy one! :)

I'm lucky and am almost never stressed about anything, so the only emotion I have going into this reading year is excitement. I have high expectations for my year :)

I hope you enjoy all of these :)! The Giver is on my wishlist, and Life of Pi and 1984 are on my TBR. Water for Elephants sounds familiar but I'm unsure if it's on my wishlist or whether I've just heard of it (I need to re-do my wishlist).

Thank you! I have a small windowto finish them in but that's just more motivation to stick with my reading :D

Love all the lists and challenges! Happy reading in 2015!

Thank you!! It should be a good one

You have some very interesting goals for 2015. Some of them sound quite heavy. :thud:

I like your challenges as well - there are many interesting books on there.

Some standouts (in my opinion) on your 'want to read' lists are:

Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Hope you have a great reading year!

Thank you. I'm excited about those reads as well. Most of them will probably be read in the first quarter of this year.

Great lists and graphics!!  Have a Happy and Productive New Reading Year! :D:readingtwo:

Thank you! Same to you! :reading:

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

518A0CQ6VVL.jpg

Summary

Wuthering Heights is a wild, passionate story of the intense and almost demonic love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, a foundling adopted by Catherine's father. After Mr Earnshaw's death, Heathcliff is bullied and humiliated by Catherine's brother Hindley and wrongly believing that his love for Catherine is not reciprocated, leaves Wuthering Heights, only to return years later as a wealthy and polished man. He proceeds to exact a terrible revenge for his former miseries. The action of the story is chaotic and unremittingly violent, but the accomplished handling of a complex structure, the evocative descriptions of the lonely moorland setting and the poetic grandeur of vision combine to make this unique novel a masterpiece of English literature

(taken from goodreads)

Opinions

Although the whole book was dark and filled with a bunch of crazy and twisted people, I enjoyed reading it and thinking about the characters. It's amazing how one little event can change the lives of a whole family for years and years. I imagined the book as one huge slippery slope that none of the characters could escape from. Disappointments early in life lead to mistakes made as an adult and mixed up priorities. 

I wonder if those who dislike the book almost "gave up" on it and didn't really finish it out because in the end you learn that Heathcliff is becoming somewhat remorseful for everything he did over the years. In the end the only thing he wanted was Catherine and when that was denied him, he did everything he could to get her back. 

As for books that get me thinking, this was one of the best books in that category. I guess I like to find a way to explain the reason behind horrible characters. I liked reading the book and it was a pretty easy read. I would recommend it, but I would also warn against reading it if you're a person that is easily annoyed by characters that do silly or cruel things. 

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:

(3/5 stars)

Edited by BSchultz19

It's probably because I read it :P  It was a favorable book for me. 

It comes highly recommended by me, but I thought The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared was better.

I plan on reading The Giver this year.

Yes, that's probably it :).

Great review of Wuthering Heights! I'm glad you enjoyed it and while I have the book on my TBR I don't know how I'll fare with the cruelty (classics aren't really my priority these days to be honest heh).

Yes, that's probably it :).

Great review of Wuthering Heights! I'm glad you enjoyed it and while I have the book on my TBR I don't know how I'll fare with the cruelty (classics aren't really my priority these days to be honest heh).

From what I've heard you either love it or hate it; however, I didn't get that. I was just "meh" about it. I enjoyed reading it because it made me think, but it wasn't fantastic. 

If you're not into the dark and cruel thing, I definitely don't recommend reading it. 

From what I've heard you either love it or hate it; however, I didn't get that. I was just "meh" about it. I enjoyed reading it because it made me think, but it wasn't fantastic. 

If you're not into the dark and cruel thing, I definitely don't recommend reading it. 

Ya, it was just kinda of "Eh" to me too :smile: Glad I read it though.

Hah, love this. :D

I love your using the dancing stars for your rating....what a great idea! :D

Great review! I've always wanted to read Wuthering Heights, I need to push it forward on my TBR list!

Yes it has always been a book I've wanted to read just because I've heard a lot about it. (This is so embarrassing) My desire to read the book was after the main character, a New York City editor, in The Proposal says that she reads Wuthering Heights every Christmas. Interesting because she was kind of a cruel character herself  :giggle2:

Glad you enjoyed Wuthering Heights! Its always been a favourite book of mine.

It was quite enjoyable! It could've been better, could've been worse. 

Ya, it was just kinda of "Eh" to me too :smile: Glad I read it though.

Me too!  :smile:

Happy Reading this year :)

Thank you!!  :readingtwo:

Hah, love this. :D

I love your using the dancing stars for your rating....what a great idea! :D

I was thinking of the thoughts I read from other members of the forum when I wrote that :lol:

I really like the dancing stars too! I was saying there HAS to be some sort of star emoticon and then I found that one and it was perfect  :smile:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

waterforelephants.jpg

Summary

Orphaned, penniless, Jacob Jankowski jumps a freight train in the dark, and in that instant, transforms his future.

By morning, he's landed a job with the Flying Squadron of the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. By nightfall, he's in love.

In an America made colourless by prohibition and the Depression, the circus is a refuge of sequins and sensuality. But behind the glamour lies a darker world, where both animals and men are dispensable. Where falling in love is the most dangerous act of all...

(from goodreads)

Opinions

What can I say? This book kept me interested from cover to cover. I found the flashback style of writing that's in the book kept it interesting and added some great perspective. This one was different from the books that I have been reading recently, which I see as a great thing. Being about the Circus, it wasn't really a topic that I was interested in, but now that I've read this book I realize that it is actually an interesting topic. 

Another interesting point was that at the end of the book in an Author's Note it says that a lot of the book was based on real events. 

I really enjoyed this one. A nice, easy read to keep the start of my reading year going well. 

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:

The Giver by Lois Lowry

3636-e1380565064973.jpg

Summary

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

(from goodreads)

Opinions

For some reason the plot in this book is not what I expected from what I've heard about the novel. I'm not sure if the plot of this book got mixed up with another in my head, but I didn't know this book was a sort of dystopian novel. After I discovered this, I really enjoyed the book. 

All dystopians give you a lot to think about and this one didn't disappoint. The plot was great and kept me interested the whole way through. I enjoyed the characters and the setting that the author came up with was fabulous and intriguing. 

What I am wondering is how this book connects with the rest of the books in the series. I read the summary of the next book and its about a completely different character. Can someone who has read the whole series explain this to me? Is each book about different characters?

Rating

:doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:  :doowapstart:

I'm glad you liked Water for Elephants!  The Giver is on my list for this year, so I didn't read that review, but did see all your stars :smile:

Thanks! It was a great read. 

I try to keep my reviews spoiler free if that is the reason behind you not reading it  :smile:

But I understand not wanting anything given away. I'd like to hear how you like it when you get around to reading it!

I've got The Giver on my TBR list as well. I'd heard about it for a long time before I bought it but never realised it was a dystopian novel. Once I realised that, I bought it. :D  Glad you enjoyed it. I might have to bump it up my TBR pile.

I've got The Giver on my TBR list as well. I'd heard about it for a long time before I bought it but never realised it was a dystopian novel. Once I realised that, I bought it. :D  Glad you enjoyed it. I might have to bump it up my TBR pile.

You really should, it's a great novel! :cool: 

I'm really glad you enjoyed the novel, BSchultz! Unfortunately I can't help you with your question re: the other books in the trilogy, I've only read the first book just like you! 

I really enjoyed Wuthering Heights. It was a surprising book for me, because I was expecting a love story and got something much darker and twisted. :)

Like Frankie, I've only read the first book in The Giver trilogy as well. I have the others on my TBR pile, but it's been so long since I read The Giver that I'll probably need to re-read it before I can read the others!