Having trouble reading

Echo

I agree, Adam. It must be the time of year. I've been reading the same book for three and a half weeks, and I've only just passed p 400 today. It's so frustrating because I'm really enjoying it but at the same time I just can't get into it properly.

I'm hoping things pick up after this because there are still a few books I want to read before the end of the year and I need to get a move on!

Happens to me too, and not just books. I get that way with everything I do. I find that I just need a break from things to recharge. I find I get burned out with whatever it is, if I don't take a break from it and go do something else instead for awhile. I recently came out of a period where I wasn't reading. I do love books though, I don't think I could ever go without them being a part of my life in some way.

Happens to me too, and not just books. I get that way with everything I do. I find that I just need a break from things to recharge. I find I get burned out with whatever it is, if I don't take a break from it and go do something else instead for awhile. I recently came out of a period where I wasn't reading. I do love books though, I don't think I could ever go without them being a part of my life in some way.

I agree with this. I have taken a break from reading right now. Just a little one to recharge like you said. I also agree that I can never go without books though. They are my main passion and favorite thing, so I still need books in my life.

This happens to me a lot. I tend to go with books I've read before several times that don't require too much of my brain.

Sometimes all I can read is Calvin And Hobbes.

Various reasons. Tired is one of them.

Writing A LOT is another. There are times when I've gone on a writing binge and gotten a TON written and the idea of reading something just doesn't fly.

Editing will do that too. I find myself reading and REWRITING great books!!!:censored:

Right now, it's just overload. There's a lot going on and it's just easier to read Ngaio Marsh....again than to read Jared Diamond's dissertations on alphabet development.

Heck yes, fairly regularly - I'm suffering from a period of what I refer to as "The Reading Doldrums" right now. I got halfway through a complex book (The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow) that I was really enjoying when it hit - the bookmark is still stuck there in the middle of the book. When my "Reading Mojo" is totally back, I'll resume reading it.

I'm trying to get myself out of it by reading a mindless piece of pap that's turning out to be an enjoyable but extremely easy read. FYI - it's called Soapsuds, and it's co-written by actress Finola Hughes, and Digby Diehl.

• 4 weeks later...

This is me at the moment! I can't read at all during term-time (I'm a university student) and I haven't been able to since I began 6th form, so about 3 years now. It's awful, I used to read 2 or 3 books a week but I work so hard now that my brain can't cope! I do miss it, but at least I enjoy it a lot in the holidays!

I seem to have continued getting through books at a snail's pace (well, in comparison to my usual pace). I just don't seem able to settle with a book, no matter how much I'm enjoying it. It took me longer than a week to read The Woman in White and I've been three days already on Boy A and am only half-way through it. Usually I would have been finished this one after two days (it's only 248 pages).

Dunno what's going on with my reading mojo!

I've been looking for my "reading mojo" as Kell so well put it, too. Part of it is the busy time of year, all the school work and so on. The thought "if I'm able to concentrate at this hour, should I be reading school books instead of fiction?!?" is evoking the good old Catholic Guilt. And then, when you realise you're not getting any reading done, or at least any compared to your old pace, you get this stress over that. "Why can't I read?" and "I haven't read anything for two days now, what's wrong with me?" and that stress goes to play on your concentration and enjoyment. I guess in a way this forum, with everyone talking about what they've read can further increase that stress.

Well said ii

Thank you. I do have my moments. *grin*

hi there, first time on this forum! I signed up as I too have been going through the reading dolldrums of late and needed a bit of inspiration. I think I might've found it!

Oh, welcome! Do stop by at the Introduction-section and tell us a little more about yourself, I'm sure we'd all want to get to know you better.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having terible trouble reaing lately, then I decided last night to ditch reading orlando by Virginia Woolf, as I think that was a big contributor tomy boredom, even though I was less than 50 pages from the end. Started reading The Truth About Fairy Tales by K T Casha in the bath and whizzed through 6 chapters easily! Suddenly my reading mojo is back on track!

Only one conclusion can be drawn from this - I'm not a fan of Virginia Woolf's style!

Guest fireball

;):lol:Kell, I found reading Virginia Woolf headache inducing myself.!

God she DID go on and on an....:lol: the hell out me she did.

The only woman who the saying (but not of her though) "where there's muck there's brass", and look what she did to herself eh.?