Dave Pelzer - My Story

Michelle

This is a trilogy:

A Child Called 'It'

The Lost Boy

A Man Named Dave

I almost didn't make it through the first book, because it was just so horrifying and heartbreaking. Dave underwent the most terrible abuse at the hands of his mother, whilst his dad did nothing.

The second book is about his 'rescue', and the foster homes he lived in. It's also about how he battled and grew as a teenager.

It gives a look into the problems faced by social services and foster carers in the 70's.

The final book is the most amazing of them all. You want to think that Dave suddenly had a great life, but he didn't.. he continued to have many struggles. But, he grew into an amazing man, and to this day throws himself into helping others.

It's not the easiest book to read, and can be very upsetting, but it is thought-provoking, and stays with you long after you put it down.

I've not read them yet, but this remains the only trilogy that my sister, who doesn't read at all, has ever read. She was profoundly affected by them too.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kell, did you ever feel 'ghoulish' when reading the books, as though you were trespassing on something private (even though Pelzer obviously has chosen to make it public)? I think that's what puts me off reading books like this. There seems to be a big market for them now though - and all with the same white covers and 'handwritten' titles!

Moreso on the 1st one, but less & less through the 2 sequels, Philip. And you're right - there seem to be hunderds of "child abuse books" with idetikit covers out there. Sickened was another one I read recently, but I didn't enjoy (Im' not sure that's the right word really, but I'm sure you nkow what I mean) it as much as the Pelzer ones.

I think a part of it was that I had so recently finished the Pelzer trilogy - I think perhaps I was maxed out no the topic of child abuse.

• 2 years later...

Awful books. They are beyond belief. When I'm reading those kind of books I always think to myself "Why am I doing this, it's depressing me silly" but once I've started I can't stop. It's always good to know they have a happy ending - as happy as they could be anyway.

It's interesting how the trilogy is something that is read by people that don't usually read. After the reading the books by Dave Pelzer I read A Brothers Journey by Richard Pelzer and in some ways I found it a more harrowing read because of how he'd been left behind and not rescued.

I read this years ago - I found the first one to be very disturbing. I had to put it down and compose myself on a number of occasions as it made me feel quite faint (I'm very squeamish). I think these books are possibly what spawned all the other white covered true story books.

I haven't read anything else in the 'genre' since reading Pelzer's books, but I do have to read Escape by Carolyn Jessop for a Bookworms meet later in the year.

What I would like to know is why are there so many of these identikit life-story books? Why now? Do people in the society we are living in feel compelled to to tell everybody about things that have happened to them? It only speaks of the failures of our society to meet people's needs to me.

Don't get me wrong. I loved the Pelzer books when I read them years ago, but seeing all of those white, depressing covers in the shops, one has to ask what is going on.

Maybe it's a sign that these things are so hidden in society anymore.

I think money is an element in it. But writing is a powerful thing and telling your "story" can be a real healer. And if you can get paid for that then why not?

Hopefully it makes society more aware too. They are definitely popular.

The cynic in me says it's because of Pelzer's success and that it's probably as much about making money as anything else.

I have to agree Janet. Although they are sad stories and touching books (I read them a few years ago) I agree with Icecream that yes talking to a friend/counsellor can help, but not society as a whole. I don't think we need to know the gory details of the horrid abuse people face.

I have to agree Janet. Although they are sad stories and touching books (I read them a few years ago) I agree with Icecream that yes talking to a friend/counsellor can help, but not society as a whole. I don't think we need to know the gory details of the horrid abuse people face.

Why not? If someone has gone through horrific challenges in life and wants to tell their story I don't see a problem with it. Nobody has to read them. Horror happens and it shouldn't be silenced just because its uncomfortable. In general I think abuse should be talked about.

Does it ever concern you that the books could get into the wrong hands so to speak?

I do think it is good that they are talking about what happened, I just don't know if publishing the horrors is the ideal way?