Muggle Not - Books Read 2014

muggle not

I am currently reading "The Target" by David Baldacci and the book is so interesting that I can't put it down.

That's great! I've only ever read one book by David Baldacci (my parents own it), that one I liked a lot. I'm unsure of the title, I read it in Dutch when I was a young teenager, it had something to do with a burglar. I have One Summer by him on my TBR. My brother's girlfriend has a lot of Baldacci's books, she really likes them :).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great! I've only ever read one book by David Baldacci (my parents own it), that one I liked a lot. I'm unsure of the title, I read it in Dutch when I was a young teenager, it had something to do with a burglar. I have One Summer by him on my TBR. My brother's girlfriend has a lot of Baldacci's books, she really likes them :).

I strongly recommend "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci. It is not his normal type book but I am 100% sure you would really like it. Wish You Well is the book that he named his "foundation" after:

While David is involved with several philanthropic organizations, his greatest efforts are dedicated to his family’s Wish You Well Foundation®. Established by David and his wife, Michelle, the Wish You Well Foundation supports family and adult literacy in the United States by fostering and promoting the development and expansion of literacy and educational programs.

Edited by muggle not

I strongly recommend "Wish You Well" by David Baldacci. It is not his normal type book but I am 100% sure you would really like it. Wish You Well is the book that he named his "foundation" after:

While David is involved with several philanthropic organizations, his greatest efforts are dedicated to his family’s Wish You Well Foundation®. Established by David and his wife, Michelle, the Wish You Well Foundation supports family and adult literacy in the United States by fostering and promoting the development and expansion of literacy and educational programs.

It sounds really good, it's going on my wishlist, thanks :)!

The only Baldacci book I've read is the one that used Sherlock Holmes as it's protagonist.  Can't remember the name of the book, but I didn't much care for it.  Muggle, do you know if that is typical of his writing, or are the others differently portrayed?

And, I just saw this article on the yahoo home page....I thought of the pictures you posted ages ago of the bears around your property.  Also, down in the comments there is a tip that came from a Denali ranger in Alaska about confrontations.  http://news.yahoo.com/hiker-took-cell-phone-photos-bear-fatal-jersey-191046013.html

New Jersey!?  Who'd have thunk it.

The only Baldacci book I've read is the one that used Sherlock Holmes as it's protagonist.  Can't remember the name of the book, but I didn't much care for it.  Muggle, do you know if that is typical of his writing, or are the others differently portrayed?

And, I just saw this article on the yahoo home page....I thought of the pictures you posted ages ago of the bears around your property.  Also, down in the comments there is a tip that came from a Denali ranger in Alaska about confrontations.  http://news.yahoo.com/hiker-took-cell-phone-photos-bear-fatal-jersey-191046013.html

New Jersey!?  Who'd have thunk it.

Sorry, I can't answer your question as I don't know which book you refer to. If you can give me the title of the book I will try to answer.

An update to books that I have read in November:

Revival - Stephen King - 3.5/5  ....I finished the book late last night while in bed and had a hard time going to sleep thinking about it. :)

The Target - David Baldacci - 4/5

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway - highly rated book by me - 10/5

The Escape -  David Baldacci (this was a free read from Amazon of the first 8 chapters of the just released book  - now I will have to buy the book) :)

Get Shorty - Elmore Leonard - 3/5

Electric God - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 3.5/5

Stick - Elmore Leonard 3.5/5

I have read 73 books so far this year and of those 53 were borrowed from the library.. Some probably think I'm a "cheapskate". :)

Edited by muggle not

Wow- how do you keep from wanting to own them though?? :smile: We are almost at the same amount of books, I am at 71 :readingtwo: Can you tell me more about Revival?

I have been giving many of my hardcover books to the library. About 8 years ago I donated 177 books to the library all in one "swoop". :) I will also give my one granddaughter my collection of all my John Steinbeck books sometime in the near future as she is a fan of his. I am thinking of probably giving my son my library of Louis L'Amour's entire works.

From Amazon on Revival":

A dark and electrifying novel about addiction, fanaticism, and what might exist on the other side of life.

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs—including Jamie’s mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town.

Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of thirteen, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family’s horrific loss. In his mid-thirties—addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate—Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil’s devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.

This rich and disturbing novel spans five decades on its way to the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written. It’s a masterpiece from King, in the great American tradition of Frank Norris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edgar Allan Poe.

From me....I don't do a good review and in this specific case I am afraid of giving away and spoiling the book. I thought the first 30% of the book went slow. The ending though had me afraid of closing my eyes and it was very, very, dark. So was the last 30% of the book. I may have been too hard with my 3.5/5 rating and think it probably deserves a 4/5. :)

There's nothing wrong with reading a lot of library books. I didn't see your edit yesterday. I'm glad your library has lots of interesting books for you to read :).

I also like owning a book rather than borrowing it, but I'm going to become a member of the library soon and read some of their books (to solve financial and other personal issues).

From me....I don't do a good review and in this specific case I am afraid of giving away and spoiling the book. I thought the first 30% of the book went slow. The ending though had me afraid of closing my eyes and it was very, very, dark. So was the last 30% of the book. I may have been too hard with my 3.5/5 rating and think it probably deserves a 4/5. :)

Thanks!  I always like how you break it down like that, you are good at teasing the book and without spoiling it. I've heard the beginning was slow, but I haven't heard how the overall book was/ is.  I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it made you afraid of closing  your eyes :giggle2:

How is A Farewell to Arms going?  I thought it very typically Hemmingway- masculine  :P But then again, I was 15.  Hey- did you know he won the Nobel in Literature?  1954.

Thanks!  I always like how you break it down like that, you are good at teasing the book and without spoiling it. I've heard the beginning was slow, but I haven't heard how the overall book was/ is.  I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it made you afraid of closing  your eyes :giggle2:

How is A Farewell to Arms going?  I thought it very typically Hemmingway- masculine  :P But then again, I was 15.  Hey- did you know he won the Nobel in Literature?  1954.

I finished A Farewell To Arms this evening. The book was a little different than I thought it would be. I give it a 5/5 rating.

I have 4 or 5 books on hold at the library and don't know whether to wait until one is available or get another book that is available now. Tonight I requested the library to obtain the kindle version of Humans and The Radleys. :)

I finished A Farewell To Arms this evening. The book was a little different than I thought it would be. I give it a 5/5 rating.

I have 4 or 5 books on hold at the library and don't know whether to wait until one is available or get another book that is available now. Tonight I requested the library to obtain the kindle version of Humans and The Radleys. :)

I have to admit that I tried to read A Farewell to Arms this year, but I have to admit that I didn't go very far with it (less than 1/3 the way). Hemingway's style is very pared down, and I just couldn't engage with the characters either.

I hope you enjoy Humans and The Radleys, The Humans is on my TBR list. 

I just started The Finisher by David Baldacci. It is an entirely different type of book by him. I am really, really, interested to start the read. This from Baldacci:

Dear Kindle Reader,

“The Finisher” is a book that I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life to write. It’s my first fantasy novel and the launch of a new series. I’m thrilled you’re reading it and I hope you come away as excited as I was in writing it. Go Vega Jane!

David Baldacci

I finished reading The Finisher by David Baldacci. I give it a 4/5. This was Baldacci's first attempt at a Fantasy type novel and he did well. I look forward to the next book in what will be a series. It is about a young girl by the name of Vega Jane and she is learning how to use her extraordinary powers. There are many unanswered questions in the first book and I am sure they will slowly be answered both for the reader and for vega Jane. I was very pleased with the book and happy that I now have another series to read.

I finished reading The Finisher by David Baldacci. I give it a 4/5. This was Baldacci's first attempt at a Fantasy type novel and he did well. I look forward to the next book in what will be a series. It is about a young girl by the name of Vega Jane and she is learning how to use her extraordinary powers. There are many unanswered questions in the first book and I am sure they will slowly be answered both for the reader and for vega Jane. I was very pleased with the book and happy that I now have another series to read.

I'm glad you liked this :)! It's on my wishlist.

• 2 weeks later...

The Escape will be the 77th book I have read this year. Not bad for an old man. :)

The Escape - David Baldacci ....currently reading and it is excellent so far (about 45% into it)

Book of Life - Deborah Harkness - 3.5/5

The Finisher - David Baldacci - 4/5

A Farewell To Arms - Ernest Hemingway - 5/5

Revival - Stephen King - 3.5/5 

The Target - David Baldacci - 4/5

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway - highly rated book by me - 10/5

Get Shorty - Elmore Leonard - 3/5

Electric God - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 3.5/5

Stick - Elmore Leonard 3.5/5

The Giver - Lois Lowry - 5/5

Exploring Cajun Country: A Tour of Historic Acadiana - Chere Dastuque Coen - 3/5

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking - 3/5........... (only because I wasn't intelligent enough to understand much of the book) :)

Gunsights - Elmore Leonard - 4/5

When We Were Older - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 3.5/5

Up In Honey's Room - Elmore Leonard 3.5/5

The Hot Kid - Elmore Leonard 3.5/5

For Tucker - David Johnson 3.5/5

Tucker's Way - David Johnson - 4/5

Tweedledum & Tweedledee - Willow Rose - 3/5

Pushin' Up Daisies - Carloyn Brown - 3.5/5

Where We Belong - Catherine Ryan Hyde - 4/5

Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness - 3/5

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness - 3/5

Close Your Eyes Hold Hands - Chris Bohjalian - 3.75/5

Take Me With You - Catherine Ryan Hyde

Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman - 3/5

Fractured - Karin Slaughter - 3/5

Becoming Chloe - Catherine Ryan Burke

The Book Thief - Markus zusak - 4/5

Wayfaring Stranger - James Lee Burke

Djbouti - Elmore Leonard

Don't Let me Go - Catherine Ryan Hyde

Robert B. Parker's Cheap Shot (Spenser)  -Ace Atkins

Flags in the Dust - William Faulkner

Mr. Mercedes: A Novel - Stephen King

When I Found You – Catherine Ryan Hyde

The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett

Road Dogs: A Novel - Elmore Leonard

Out of Sight - Elmore Leonard

Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone) - Robert B. Parker

High Profile (Jesse Stone) - Robert B. Parker

School Days (Spenser) - Robert B. Parker

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

Sea Change (Jesse Stone Novels) - Robert B. Parker

Stone Cold (Jesse Stone Novels) - Robert B. Parker

Cuba Libre - Elmore Leonard

Trail of the Apache and Other Stories -Elmore Leonard

The Big Bounce - Elmore Leonard

Killshot - Elmore Leonard

Allegiant (Divergent Series) - Veronica Roth

Raylan: A Novel - Elmore Leonard

Double Play - Robert B Parker

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Outer Dark (Vintage International) - Cormac McCarthy

Insurgent (Divergent Series) - Veronica Roth

Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall) - Robert B Parker

Divergent (Divergent Series) - Veronica Roth

Mr. Majestyk - Elmore Leonard

Command Authority (A Jack Ryan Novel) - Tom Clancy

Riding the Rap - Elmore Leonard

The Secret History - Donna Tartt

Last Stand at Saber River - Elmore Leonard

Pronto - Elmore Leonard

Rum Punch - Elmore Leonard

Hugger Mugger (Spenser) - Robert B Parker

The Law at Randado - Elmore Leonard

Veritas - William Lashner

Forty Lashes Less One - Elmore Leonard

King and Maxwell (King & Maxwell) - David Baldacci

The Secret of Two Hawks - Kirby Jonas

The Bounty Hunters - Elmore Leonard

Night Passage (Jesse Stone Novels) - Robert B. Parker

Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories - Elmore Leonard

Hombre - Elmore Leonard

Valdez Is Coming – Elmore Leonard

Edited by muggle not

77 books is quite impressive.  Think you might squeeze one or two more in before the new year? 

I see you've read Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy.  I haven't read the third one yet, but I hope I like it better than the second.

I struggled through the first half of The Book of Life but it did pick up and get interesting somewhere in the second half of the book. I even contemplated not reading the 3rd book in the Trilogy but eventually decided to finish the Trilogy. I rate Book of Life a 3.5/5.