Your Book Activity - July 2014

Alexi

Thanks, I'm a long time lurker, thought I should get in on the fun! :smile:

I finished the book and I loved it, I ordered the rest of the collection so I'll be busy with that for some time!

You mean his complete works? 50+ books in one order?? :thud::D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(removed some emoticons)

I started a new book last night. Well the night before, but I had to re-start it. I'm now reading the Harold Fry book by the ... um... author. Can't remember whole title or author! :unsure: Unlikely Pilgrimage something.

I hope you like it :)!

:D Mrs Tiggy-winkle is in the Beatrix Potter stories. She's a hedgehog washer woman .. she seems to do the laundry for a lot of Beatrix's characters. She looks like this ..

tiggywinkle.jpg

(for Gaia too ) They are very British children's books really and so it's not surprising you haven't read them. I'm not sure I've actually read them .. I just know of them and the characters. You certainly don't need to read that book .. nothing much happens except old Tiggy sorts out the washing :D In Jasper's books .. she's a Jurisfiction Agent

Miss Havisham is far more complex. She's in Dickens' Great Expectations. She got jilted on her wedding day (some thirty or so years before the story starts) and still hasn't changed out of her wedding dress (bit whiffy .. I would think) .. the room where the reception was going to take place has been kept as it was .. wedding cake and all .. covered in cobwebs and mice scuttling about All the clocks have been stopped at twenty minutes to nine .. which is when she received the letter from her fiance calling off the wedding. In short .. she's bonkers She adopts an orphan child .. Estella .. and is raising her to be a prodigious breaker of boy's/men's hearts, as a revenge on the sex. The main character in Great Expectations ... Pip .. falls in love with Estella more or less as soon as he sets eyes on her  :blush2: 

In Jasper's books .. Miss Havisham is also a Jurisfiction Agent .. a rather marvellous one actually and quite unlike her Dicken's persona.

Thank you so much for your explanation, Kay! I've read some of Beatrix' Potter's books when I was a child but undoubtedly they translated the name of the character into Dutch (at least, that's what they usually do with children's books).

You mean his complete works? 50+ books in one order?? :thud::D

I think he/she means the rest of the Dark Tower series? :P

I've started reading Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey - Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Your Life with Attention Deficit Disorder. It's quite good so far but also a bit confronting / recognisable (but that's a good thing) :).

I'm sort of waffling between several books.  Still have Fortune's Favorites on the reading list, although I've put it aside for the moment.  Then I started, and probably abandoned about 2/3rds of the way through, Paul Bowles Up Above the World.  Right now I'm reading a detective story set in Thailand,  Laundry Man (A Jack Shepherd International Crime Novel) by Jake Needham and enjoying it.  I've read a Star Trek novel of the Mirror Universe in-between as well.    Oh, and a Harry Dresden.  :)

:D Mrs Tiggy-winkle is in the Beatrix Potter stories. She's a hedgehog washer woman .. she seems to do the laundry for a lot of Beatrix's characters. She looks like this ..

tiggywinkle.jpg

(for Gaia too) They are very British children's books really and so it's not surprising you haven't read them. I'm not sure I've actually read them .. I just know of them and the characters. You certainly don't need to read that book .. nothing much happens except old Tiggy sorts out the washing. In Jasper's books .. she's a Jurisfiction Agent 

Oh she's adorable! :wub: I know Beatrix Potter of course but I've never read any of her books, even though I'm sure other Finnish kids have. I know they've been translated into Finnish. Thank you for the clarification! :smile2:

Miss Havisham is far more complex. She's in Dickens' Great Expectations. She got jilted on her wedding day (some thirty or so years before the story starts) and still hasn't changed out of her wedding dress  (bit whiffy .. I would think ) .. the room where the reception was going to take place has been kept as it was .. wedding cake and all .. covered in cobwebs and mice scuttling about.  All the clocks have been stopped at twenty minutes to nine .. which is when she received the letter from her fiance calling off the wedding. In short .. she's bonkers.  She adopts an orphan child .. Estella .. and is raising her to be a prodigious breaker of boy's/men's hearts, as a revenge on the sex. The main character in Great Expectations ... Pip .. falls in love with Estella more or less as soon as he sets eyes on her  :blush2: 

In Jasper's books .. Miss Havisham is also a Jurisfiction Agent .. a rather marvellous one actually and quite unlike her Dicken's persona.

Oh wow! I had an idea about what Havisham might be like, based on talk about her and me trying not to read anything about her in case of spoilers. I have Great Expectations on my TBR but I've never felt truly inclined to read the book. But I have to say, your recap on parts of the book has really made me want to read the book! :smile2: Well done :D (You have a knack for making books sound interesting and worth reading!)

I'm thinking this is a ploy on Jasper's behalf to get us all reading more. It certainly makes you enjoy his books a whole lot more if you are in on the joke. It's not vital though.

It's a very good ploy :D He is genius in many, many ways. I hope he's signed a release to leave his brain for science after he's died. I'd like a research on the delicacies of his gray matter!

Hope you enjoy Harold Fry and his unlikely pilgrimage 

I hope you like it!

I like it when I'm reading it, but I find that I forget most of what's happened when I've put the book down. I think my mojo's gone for the time being. And I'm not sure it's fair to Harold Fry, to try and continue to read the book. :(

I definitely want to read more of Zevin's work. I will look out for that one - also want to read her novel Elsewhere. Memoirs was an easy read, but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

I hope you get your hands on the copy of The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry soon! I'd love for other people to read it, I'm sure many would enjoy it :)

Thanks, I'm a long time lurker, thought I should get in on the fun!

I finished the book and I loved it, I ordered the rest of the collection so I'll be busy with that for some time!

I'm happy a long time lurker such as you has come forward and started posting! We are always up for new ideas and mindset! :) I've personally not read the Gunslinger series, but I've read a lot of King's other books and can heartily recommend pretty much all of them :)

I like it when I'm reading it, but I find that I forget most of what's happened when I've put the book down. I think my mojo's gone for the time being. And I'm not sure it's fair to Harold Fry, to try and continue to read the book. :(

Awww :(. I hope mojo comes back soon, otherwise maybe think of picking another book?

Oh wow! I had an idea about what Havisham might be like, based on talk about her and me trying not to read anything about her in case of spoilers. I have Great Expectations on my TBR but I've never felt truly inclined to read the book. But I have to say, your recap on parts of the book has really made me want to read the book! :smile2: Well done :D (You have a knack for making books sound interesting and worth reading!)

:thanx: I did try very hard not to spoil ... most of what I said is back story really. Loads more sh*t happens  :D Great book .. one of his best.

It's a very good ploy :D He is genius in many, many ways. I hope he's signed a release to leave his brain for science after he's died. I'd like a research on the delicacies of his gray matter!

He is so clever it's scary. Being a genius must have its drawbacks though .. thankfully I'll never find out  :D 

Poor Harold  :D It's so much better when a book sticks in your head ... less hard work. If it doesn't grab soon move on to something else or it'll kill your mojo :o  :empathy: 

Thank you so much for your explanation, Kay! I've read some of Beatrix' Potter's books when I was a child but undoubtedly they translated the name of the character into Dutch (at least, that's what they usually do with children's books).

Ah .. of course .. the names would be different .. I didn't think of that  :blush2: 

I don't know what to read next!  I am so full from Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  Ever find it hard to start a new book after a really good one?

I was going to read Veronica Roth's Four series but the first one is lame- I'm trying to re-read the first one (only 30 pages) and I just can't get through it.  I only gave it 2/5 when I originally read it.  I'm also temporarily giving up Linda Lafferty's Drowning Guard.  I need something better after Don't Let Me Go.

Anyway, so now I'm reading the beginning of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.  I loved Atlas Shrugged last year, so maybe The Fountainhead will do the trick!

I've finished Laundry Man (A Jack Shepherd International Crime Novel) by Jake Needham, meh.  I'm about a quarter of the way through QBVII by Leon Uris.  It is really a reread, read it decades ago.  Saw the film with Anthony Hopkins ages ago as well.  Still holding Fortune's Favorites as a "being read" book as well. 

I am about a third through Djibouti by Elmore Leonard. The action better pick up soon as on July 16 Wayfarin' Stranger by James Lee Burke is being released and I have a pre-buy on it. We shall see, also I am down to #64 at the library (there are 11 copies) on The Target by David Baldacci.

Edited by muggle not

I'm about a quarter of the way into QB VII by Leon Uris, still.

I've also started The Unquiet Grave by Steven Dunne and am loving it!  It was one of the books that our Michelle sent to me several months ago.  It's a great police procedural.  I'm only up to page 70, but it is well constructed and is building beautifully.

I'm still reading Hawksmoor.  I've been reading for seven and three quarter hours, and I'm still only at page 168.  There's four chapters and 49 pages left.  Two of those chapters are in eighteenth century English, which I really struggle to read, but I'm hoping with another session this evening, I *might* be able to finish it either tonight (if I'm lucky) or if not, tomorrow lunchtime.  I can't deny, that as good as the story is, I'm finding the style very demanding, and I'll be glad to finish it.  I often end up reading some of the sentences more than once to try and understand them, and it's a long way out of my comfort zone.

I'm enamored with The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.  If anyone cares, I am keeping some quotes and thoughts on my thread about it.  I will be buying Microsoft Word in the next couple of days and start keeping thoughts there for a review.

It's a biggie though- over 700 pages and I'm only 20% in.

I loved Atlas Shrugged last year, but somehow Rand's philosophies show more in Fountainhead- or maybe I am just more aware of them, having studied more about her ideas.

Edited by Anna Begins

I finished Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey - Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Your Life with Attention Deficit Disorder and started Penny Vincenzi - The Dilemma. I'm not that far into it yet.

I read the first half of Stephen King's The Gunslinger.

I'm really enjoying it. First time reading King's work and so far I'm not dissapointed.

You're in for a treat if you read the rest of The Dark Tower series.

I finished Hawksmoor!!!! :exc:  I'm still not sure I understood some of it, and I'm still trying to figure out the ending, so hopefully my book group discussion will shed some light on it all. :D

Have absolutely no idea what I'm going to read next, so better go and peruse my bookshelves to see what I can find. :smile2:

Well done Claire :D What a relief .. on to something more enjoyable :D

Finished Captain Corelli's Mandolin and moved onto Mrs Ames :) Am slowly chipping away at the TBR .. and actually reading some of the books that have been shelf sitters for ages. Not made a huge dent in the unread numbers but progress is progress  :blush2: Have actually said 'no' to new books  :o Not sure if this is a sign of determination or illness  :D 

I'm just over halfway through I Know This Much Is True. I wish I had more time to read, but these hot days just seem to sap the energy from me, and I end up nodding off. :blush2:

I really want to read this after so much talk!  That and She's Come Undone. Is it an easy read?