The Newsroom

emelee

Yes! (You and I seem to have very similar tastes in TV shows! :)) My partner got me hooked on The Newsroom. I can't wait until the next season starts sometime in the middle of this year. Unfortunately it's going to be the final season though. :( I think it has quite clever writing and it's very funny. I like that it deals with real events that have occurred in the news. But then again, maybe that's a bad thing, because I suspect the reason it has to finish is that the show has caught up with 'real time' and it can't cover stories that haven't happened yet! I think Jeff Daniels is excellent in this.

We've had the first two series in the UK, and I've enjoyed watching it a lot, although initially, I did think the female characters weren't written as well as the male characters, but I got caught up in it anyway, and really loved it.  We tend to record the whole series, then watch it over a short period of time, sort of like watching it as a box set, and I find it works better like that.

Edited by chesilbeach

Yes! (You and I seem to have very similar tastes in TV shows! :)) My partner got me hooked on The Newsroom. I can't wait until the next season starts sometime in the middle of this year. Unfortunately it's going to be the final season though. :( I think it has quite clever writing and it's very funny. I like that it deals with real events that have occurred in the news. But then again, maybe that's a bad thing, because I suspect the reason it has to finish is that the show has caught up with 'real time' and it can't cover stories that haven't happened yet! I think Jeff Daniels is excellent in this.

Could be. I quite like it when certain shows are limited in episodes. Some shows work better with only 10-12 episodes a season, and not too many seasons. Homeland for instance I hope they don't drag out for 6-7 seasons. And Twin Peaks is probably the best example of a series that was enough with 2 seasons, even though the show was amazing. 

Breaking bad was a huge hit, but if you drag it out longer, it would lose focus. Like How I met your mother did. 9 seasons of HIMYM should have been 5 seasons IMO. 

We've had the first two series in the UK, and I've enjoyed watching it a lot, although initially, I did think the female characters weren't written as well as the male characters, but I got caught up in it anyway, and really loved it.  We tend to record the whole series, then watch it over a short period of time, sort of like watching it as a box set, and I find it works better like that.

Binge-watching! I can only do that with some shows. And no more than 2-3 hours a day of the same show. I usually watch the 22 minute sit-coms like that, but keep the drama series to 1-2 episodes a day, or even a week. 

It's very, very good - but then I love Aaron Sorkin's stuff. We've seen all of seasons 1 and 2, but apparently season 3 will be the last.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds about right, Emelee. But I've watched a lot of shows that change the number of episodes, so maybe they'll give us a few more knowing that it's the last season. Fingers crossed, anyway!