Your Book Activity - April 2014

Kylie

Kidsmum, I hope it will help to read a different book :).

I'm currently reading George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 4: A Feast for Crows and Richard Béliveau and Dr. Denis Gingras - Eet Gezond, Leef Gezond - De Invloed Van Voeding En Dagelijkse Leefstijl Op Onze Gezondheid (La Santé par le Plaisir de Bien Manger) (Eat Healthy, Life Healthy: The Influence of Food and Daily Lifestyle on our Health). Both are quite good so far.

Edited by Athena

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. The prologue intrigued me sufficiently to keep going, but it's all a bit weird so far...

I didn't get on with it very well, but I'm in the minority. Hope you enjoy it. :smile:

Finished Lee Child's Nothing to lose and its the first book to disappoint me out of 12 books.  Sucks.  I was going to read #13, but oddly, it is- or at least starts- in the first person when all the rest have been in third.  I hate it so far but have a bit left in the Amazon single. I can't find an Amazon sample that grabs me.  So I think I'll just hang out with BBC History Magazine today.  Not much time to read tomorrow, doing a major house clean- yuck.

I started Stephen King's 11/22/63 the other day.  Hasn't grabbed me yet, otoh, it hasn't put me off either.  Will continue.

I liked this one, hope you do as well.  It differs from his other books.  I even recommend this book to some people so I hope you stick with it.

Edited by Anna Begins

Kidsmum, I hope it will help to read a different book :).

Thanks Athena it has helped , i've read 100 pages already it's a much faster paced story so the Tey book is definitely getting packed off to the charity shop  :D

11/22/63 did take a bit to get going Pontalba.  I hope you keep going with it.  I don't usually like Stephen King but I liked this one.

I liked this one, hope you do as well.  It differs from his other books.  I even recommend this book to some people so I hope you stick with it.

Oh, it's picked up nicely.  :)  I'm about a third of the way through it now.

Thanks. :)

I've decided to ditch The Daughter of Time  Josephine Tey, i've hardly read anything for days & it's because i just can't motivate myself to pick up & read this book....... i'm finding it so dull  :o

So today i'm going to make a start on my book group read Stolen  Rebecca Muddiman hopefully this will perk up my ailing mojo  :D

Oh, that's a shame.  True, it wasn't very "action" oriented, but I remember really liking the detective.

Put 'On The Beach' to one side (dull)............/

If you don't like something, no use in pursuing it, life is just too short! :)

I finished Twelve Minutes of Love: A Tango Story by Kapka Kassabova today.  It was a fantastically absorbing read about the author learning, loving and living tango, and how it affected her life.  It was the oldest but one book on my TBR, and wishing I'd read it earlier! :D  It's also given me lots of new music to listen to - I often put on some tango music when I'm reading, and now I'll have more choice.

I started Stay Alive by Simon Kernick yesterday, after finishing the second story in James Blish's Cities in Flight.

So this morning I picked up one of the books from the book sale called No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel.  This kind of a weird little book.  I'm only 75 or so pages into it, but it's kind of odd so far.  It's not at all how the back cover made it sound. The first chapter was okay, then it got really weird really fast.  The writing is good enough, but it's just bizarre.  It's divided into sections. I just started the second section, so I'm going to see how that goes.  

It seems like I've gone from a string of books that I really enjoyed to several that are just unsatisfying in a way.  Hmm....

Reading.....'Arms Wide Open' Tom Winter

and

Started....''Someone Else's Son' by Samantha Hayes  (preferring this one at the moment)

Edited by Inver

I've finished Stephen King's 11/22/63, really enjoyed it.  Review over on my book thread.

I think I'm starting Visitation Street by Ivy Pochoda.  I came across it as it is something Dennis Lehane has as his imprint with Harper Collins.  It's the second of such books.  Literary mystery.  /fingers crossed/

There was an M. C. Beaton book on the Kindle Daily Deal that I didn't have already, so I spent the 99p on that this morning, even though it's book 3 of a series that I've only read book 1 of, so it'll have to wait until either the second book comes up on sale, or I've read everything else on my TBR and I can then buy the book guilt free!* :D

Have started on the last of my Christmas books from my OH this morning, and reading Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis, which is a children's book, but based on the opening, a stonkingly good one. :smile2:

*Actually, I never feel guilty buying a book, but just trying to be a bit more restrained and keeping en eye on my spending at the moment  :angel_not: 

I'm in sort of a slump right now.  I just can't seem to find anything that just grabs me.   I have started Barbara Kingslover's The Poisonwood Bible and I like it, it's just not the easiest book to read, kinda takes some concentration.  Its written beautiful though.  I also still have Black Hawk Down, which I haven't gotten past 30% in.  And I still have Plains of Passage by Jean M Auel going on too.  But none of these is a "I must get up and read today" kind of book.  At least, to me.

Just about finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Really enjoying this and will have to see if my library has the rest of the trilogy.  

I hope you like the rest... I didn't get beyond 100 pages of The Girl Who Played With Fire!  But I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that :smile:

Edited by Anna Begins

Finished "Exercitii de echilibru", beautiful book and nice to read a bit in Romanian (I've been doing that more often, my favourite bookshop in Romania delivers internationally). I think I'll start "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" by Aimee Bender today. 

I think I'll start "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" by Aimee Bender today. 

Ooh!!!..... i have that, look forward to hearing what you think of it.

I've been a bit busy for the last few days but i managed to finish Stolen Rebecca Muddiman today. TBH although it was a easy fast paced crime read it seemed a bit silly the further it went on, a shame really as the author is visiting our local library next week so i really wanted to like her book. Anyway i was glad to finish it & i'm going to make a start on The Return of The Soldier  Rebecca West for next month's Reading Circle.

Edited by Kidsmum

I'm reading George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 4: A Feast for Crows and should have it finished not too long from now (maybe today). I wanted to finish it before the read-a-thon, otherwise I might be thinking about the book a lot during the read-a-thon (it's too epic to read a lot of it without breaks) (I might be doing that anyway but..).

I've finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson and am now starting Mary Poppins! A friend of mine gifted me Mary Poppins, She Wrote about the life of the author PL Travers so I thought I should read the book first, having only seen the Disney movie...

I've never seen the Disney movie but have been read to bits from a book with pictures, this was many years ago so I don't remember much about it. I hope you enjoy it :)!

Edited by Athena

I've started Naoko by Keigo Higashino.   I've already read two of his, Salvation of a Saint and The Devotion of Suspect X, both detective stories.  This one is different though, not a detective story, and rather.......different I think. 

Naoko is his first book translated into English.

I've put Pandora's Star aside for the moment, and picked up The Drawing of the Three (the second book of the Dark Tower series). It's good to read it again. :boogie:

x

That's good to hear! How many of the series have you read? I have books 5 and 7 on my TBR.

I've finished A Feast for Crows and am going to try not to start a new book until the read-a-thon so hopefully I won't have mojo problems come this weekend (but actually I'm really eager to read more of the A Song of Ice and Fire series :blush2:).

x

That's good to hear! How many of the series have you read? I have books 5 and 7 on my TBR.

I've read all of them. Wizard and Glass (book 4) is my favorite, and I think it went downhill from there. However I'm really enjoying my re-read of The Drawing of the Three - enjoying it a lot more than the first time I read it - so maybe I will enjoy the last few books of the series, this time around. :smile: