John's Books Read 2014

geordie9

Whoohoo!  Glad you liked it!  It sounds good- I am so reading this when I have, oh, 900 pages of free time :giggle2: No, seriously, I think it might be one of my first reads for next year.  And I'd like to read Paris next year as well.  I was just thinking that I haven't read much history this year.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoohoo!  Glad you liked it!  It sounds good- I am so reading this when I have, oh, 900 pages of free time :giggle2: No, seriously, I think it might be one of my first reads for next year.  And I'd like to read Paris next year as well.  I was just thinking that I haven't read much history this year.

Its 1020 pages, took me quite a while but now its over i actually miss reading it, i'll definitely be reading his other books. I've learnt so much from reading this book.

I would probably say i borrow books from the library more than buy them, but i do buy a lot of books to put away for times when theres not much i fancy in the library. I have a lot of books and im running out of space. Thats a good problem to have though!

I do collect certain authors books though, Stephen King, Richard Laymon, Clive Barker

Very late in getting back to this, sorry :blush: I think it's great that you borrow books from the library, that's the way to keep the libraries going :yes: But I also like it that you buy books, too, because I think one definitely needs to have a bit of a selection to choose from in case there are days one's read all the library loans and can't find any new book, or the libraries are closed. 

I also collect Stephen King's novels :) Well mostly the ones I've loved and know I will want to re-read in the future. 

acid_zpsd7e59aff.jpg

8/10

What is your favorite Irvine Welsh book? I think I saw you mention reading some other Welsh book some time... 

Ive only read Acid House & Skagboys and i enjoyed them both so i will definitely be reading more of his books

I would heartily recommend Trainspotting :yes: Edit: Even if you've seen the movie, it's definitely worth a read because the book differs from the movie. Or should I say, the movie differs from the book. 

Edited by frankie

I totally give you props for reading Irvine Welsh!

Haha, like i said it was a bit slow at first but then it went a bit faster, the accent where im from is actually quite similar to Scottish. I'm waiting for a copy of Stephen Kings Thinner to come through the post next.

I would heartily recommend Trainspotting :yes: Edit: Even if you've seen the movie, it's definitely worth a read because the book differs from the movie. Or should I say, the movie differs from the book. 

Yes ive seen the movie but the book is definitely on my list tbr, that Skagboys was a prequel to Trainspotting.

Yes ive seen the movie but the book is definitely on my list tbr, that Skagboys was a prequel to Trainspotting.

I'm going to do an Amazon Immersion reading with Transpotting, where it's an audiobook, but you can follow along with the book.  I really, really want to read Trainspotting, but I just can't get passed the language.  I can understand it fine, I just can't read it.  I'll get to that in about a week (payday!)  BTW- it's narrated by Welsh.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm going to do an Amazon Immersion reading with Transpotting, where it's an audiobook, but you can follow along with the book.  I really, really want to read Trainspotting, but I just can't get passed the language.  I can understand it fine, I just can't read it.  I'll get to that in about a week (payday!)  BTW- it's narrated by Welsh.

Very cool that it's narrated by Welsh himself :) I remember it was a bit difficult to get into the novel because of the language. I think at first I had to try and read it out loud myself, to get into the rhythm. It got easier after a while. But I can understand how someone would like to 'read' the audio version instead. 

Very cool that it's narrated by Welsh himself :) I remember it was a bit difficult to get into the novel because of the language. I think at first I had to try and read it out loud myself, to get into the rhythm. It got easier after a while. But I can understand how someone would like to 'read' the audio version instead. 

Ya there is just no other way I'm going to get through it.  And I want to read it so bad!   I listened to a sample of the audio last night, just on a whim and it was like an Ah-ha! moment.  I was inspired by all this Irvine Welsh talk :smile:   This site is so bad.

Ya there is just no other way I'm going to get through it.  And I want to read it so bad!   I listened to a sample of the audio last night, just on a whim and it was like an Ah-ha! moment.  I was inspired by all this Irvine Welsh talk :smile:   This site is so bad.

It's so bad that it's good and it feels so right! *sings*

Well i hope you enjoy it. Very depressing books but make a good read!

• 4 weeks later...