Nursenblack's Reading List 2014

nursenblack

Finished July 9th.

Messenger (The Giver quartet book 3) by Lois Lowry (via Kindle per library loan)

51SJj6jUfFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

synopsis from amazon.com

Strange changes are taking place in Village. Once a utopian community that prided itself on its welcome to new strangers, Village will soon be closed to all outsiders. As one of the few people able to travel through the dangerous Forest, Matty must deliver the message of Village’s closing and try to convince Seer’s daughter to return with him before it’s too late. But Forest has become hostile to Matty as well, and he must risk everything to fight his way through it, armed only with an emerging power he cannot yet explain or understand.

my review

As with the other  The Giver books I have read so far,  Messenger kept me engaged and I read through it very quickly.   What I have loved is that the characters lives are presented as so simple, at first, but as the stories progress it is evident that a threat is all around them.   Many characters are reunited in this third book.  And though it makes since to start from the beginning, Messenger could easily stand alone like the other two books.

These were the dystopias that were ahead of the game, before dystopian was the trend.  Don’t hesitate to read them. (4/5)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love this type of novel too. I'm not really a fan of series, however, so I feel torn.  I might look out for this second-hand - it sounds good.  :)

Ditto - Timebound sounds really intriguing. :smile:

I`ve been dithering about getting The River of no Return, which is a time travel-y book too.  

Finished July 10th

Lucy's Story: Right Choices but Wrongs Still Left by Larry Hamilton

51eO%2B35xlfL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

synopsis from amazon.com

"""Lucy, we need courage in this sorry life. It’s all we got,"" Mama said. It’s 1863 during the Civil War, Madison County, Kentucky and Lucy is a slave on the Redmond Plantation where there is little joy to be found. When she is given as a ""gift"" to Massa’s daughter, she learns Mama is right. She needs courage more than ever. When her new master turns threatening, Lucy and her family flee to Camp Nelson, a haven of refuge. Here Lucy learns there is a life aside from oppression. At Camp Nelson, she learns to read and write and discovers others
who care about her people in bondage. She forms unbreakable friendships and even falls in love as she grows into womanhood amid the challenges that freedom brings. Will Lucy have the courage and independence to face her unknown future? Based on a true account, this is the engaging story of Lucy, a slave, and of the impact Camp Nelson left on American history."

my review

This was the pick of my local library's book club that I decided to join.  I always am a bit leery of books picked by people I don't know, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Lucy's Story is a short, but a beautifully written historic novel about Camp Nelson in Kentucky during the Civil War.  From the very first page, I was reeled in, but not just that, I was there too.  The dialect was perfect from the first sentence and that made it a very authentic book for me.  I kept thinking to myself what a wonderful movie it would make, which in my opinion, means it was very readable.(4.5/5)

I'm currently reading Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin, and I find it a bit confusing and wordy.  I'm on page 82 and some parts are interesting and some are boring and confusing.  I hate to put down a book.  I'm not sure it's worth the time, it is 770 pages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, I want to take a moment to brag about my small pile of treasures that I found at a used bookstore.  Some of these have been on my wishlist forever, but I refused to pay full price! 

Here's what I found:  Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann, Felicia's Journey by WilliamTevor (loved the movie), The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (the first short-stories book I have ever bought), and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Don't you just love it when you've resisted buying certain books as new, and then finally find used copies of them, at a cheaper price? It's always a nice jolt :) 

I was actually reading two books at once, which is something I never ever do.  But since one was a memoir, I thought I could do it and I did.

Orange Is the New Black: My Year In A Women's Prison by Piper Kerman (via Kindle per library loan)

51%2BccEAJbmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-st

synopsis from amazon.com

With a career, a boyfriend, and a loving family, Piper Kerman barely resembles the reckless young woman who delivered a suitcase of drug money ten years before. But that past has caught up with her. Convicted and sentenced to fifteen months at the infamous federal correctional facility in Danbury, Connecticut, the well-heeled Smith College alumna is now inmate #11187–424—one of the millions of people who disappear “down the rabbit hole” of the American penal system. From her first strip search to her final release, Kerman learns to navigate this strange world with its strictly enforced codes of behavior and arbitrary rules. She meets women from all walks of life, who surprise her with small tokens of generosity, hard words of wisdom, and simple acts of acceptance. Heartbreaking, hilarious, and at times enraging, Kerman’s story offers a rare look into the lives of women in prison—why it is we lock so many away and what happens to them when they’re there.

my review

I have to  be honest and admit that I would have never been compelled to read Orange is the New Black if hadn't been for the Netflix series.  I rarely read memoirs or nonfiction books, so this was a real stretch.  I didn't know what to expect after falling in love with the tv series, but it really gripped me from the beginning.  It read much like a novel and I was excited to meet the characters and find out what would happen next.  The fact that it is all true (minus name and characteristic changes) makes it an even more inspiring, life lessons story. (4/5)

Thank you so much for the review, you've made my day! I don't remember if you and I have talked about the TV series..? I remember someone telling me it's good and that I should give it a go. I think the show started over here some time ago but I didn't have a functioning TV at the time so couldn't start watching it. Coincidentally, though, I just saw this book at a shop last weekend, all randomly, and thought, wow, there's a book, too?! I had completely forgotten about it, though, but now you've reminded me of it. Thanks! :exc: Definitely adding it to my wishlist now :)

Don't you just love it when you've resisted buying certain books as new, and then finally find used copies of them, at a cheaper price? It's always a nice jolt :)

Thank you so much for the review, you've made my day! I don't remember if you and I have talked about the TV series..? I remember someone telling me it's good and that I should give it a go. I think the show started over here some time ago but I didn't have a functioning TV at the time so couldn't start watching it. Coincidentally, though, I just saw this book at a shop last weekend, all randomly, and thought, wow, there's a book, too?! I had completely forgotten about it, though, but now you've reminded me of it. Thanks! :exc: Definitely adding it to my wishlist now :)

You've got to watch the series, Frankie.  It is one of my favorite shows ever and sooo addictive.

Finished August 2nd

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

4929705.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Rural Wisconsin, 1909. In the bitter cold, Ralph Truitt, a successful businessman, stands alone on a train platform waiting for the woman who answered his newspaper advertisement for "a reliable wife." But when Catherine Land steps off the train from Chicago, she's not the "simple, honest woman" that Ralph is expecting. She is both complex and devious, haunted by a terrible past and motivated by greed. Her plan is simple: she will win this man's devotion, and then, ever so slowly, she will poison him and leave Wisconsin a wealthy widow. What she has not counted on, though, is that Truitt — a passionate man with his own dark secrets —has plans of his own for his new wife. Isolated on a remote estate and imprisoned by relentless snow, the story of Ralph and Catherine unfolds in unimaginable ways.
With echoes of Wuthering Heights and Rebecca, Robert Goolrick's intoxicating debut novel delivers a classic tale of suspenseful seduction, set in a world that seems to have gone temporarily off its axis.

my review

This was a pick from my physical book club and it was not at all what I was expecting.  As I've mentioned before sometimes I don't even read the book cover to find out what the book is about.  So, based on the cover and the beginning I thought it was a love story.  It turned out to be a very dark and twisted love story that was pretty hard to put down.  I really reminded me of the movie Original Sin.

I also enjoyed the contrast between the cold, snowy terrain of Wisconsin and the passion that ensues in the bedroom.  Yes, there are a lot of sex scenes, but I found them to be more intriguing because the author is male.  In fact, I don't remember if I've ever read stories this passionate from a male author before.  If your looking for a dark and sensual read on a cold night, try this.  (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Finished August 29th

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

11505797.jpg

synopsis from book cover

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

my review

When I started Beautiful Disaster I became instantly hooked.  The will they, wont they relationship had me on pins and needles.  Sadly, my enthusiasm waned about halfway through.   That's when, for me, the frustrating romance became repetitive and the yo-yoing lost its appeal.

If the last half of the book would have been as good as the first half, I would definitely rate it higher.  I had this feeling that some big plot point would pull it up by its boot straps, but nothing significant ever happens.  I know that it is romance, but with a book cover like that and all the advertisements I've seen, I thought there would be more.  So much wasted potential. :(  (2/5)

Edited by nursenblack

You've got to watch the series, Frankie.  It is one of my favorite shows ever and sooo addictive.

I will, I really want to watch it :) I'll try and find the DVDs somewhere soon!

Finished August 2nd

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

4929705.jpg

Great review, I really like the sound of this. It's going on my wishlist! :) It makes me think of The Tenderness of Wolves, probably because of the northern America aspect and cold winters :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm so behind again that I'll just do a brief review of each I've missed.

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares.  A YA time travel novel that began very well, but failed to grip me through out.  Not sure if this is the first of a series, but definitely seemed like there would be a sequel. (3/5)

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier.  A historical novel set in 19th century England about fossil discoveries and friendship.  Not much drama, but a nice blend of fact, fiction and character. (4/5)

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.  I can't say enough about this beautiful and historical novel.  Each chapter alternates between Sarah Grimke, an aristocratic slave owner's daughter, and Hettie, the slave that Sarah was given on her eleventh birthday.  Heartbreaking and uplifting. (5/5)

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent.  If you think human depravity and stupidity is at its worst now, then think back to Salem, Massachusetts during the 17th century.   The Heretic's Daughter is a very dark and engaging historical novel about the Salem Witch Trials, told from the perspective of ten year old Sarah Carrier.  I won't say much more because I feel myself on the verge of a long rant, but I really really want to hop in a time machine and smack those morons bald-headed.  :motz: (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

• 1 month later...

I am behind again.

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.  I heard about the novel after watching the HBO series and was hoping it would shed more light on what was going on in a world where people literally vanished into thin air.  It was interesting, but I needed more closure. (3/5)

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky   This is not my usual sort of read (book club pick), but I thought the story sounded promising.  It could have been great, but the dialog was so terrible I couldn't stand it.  The characters were also painfully one dimensional.  I've never read anything by this author before this and probably never will again. (1/5)

The Storekeeper's Daughter by Wanda Brunstetter.  This is the second time I've read this, once on my own and once for my book club.  This is definitely an easy read that is categorized as "inspirational fiction" but the ending ruined it for me both times.  I had no idea that this was the first of a trilogy, but I don't know if I even want to find out what happens next. (2/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky   This is not my usual sort of read (book club pick), but I thought the story sounded promising.  It could have been great, but the dialog was so terrible I couldn't stand it.  The characters were also painfully one dimensional.  I've never read anything by this author before this and probably never will again. (1/5)

It's a shame you didn't like this at all. I liked it when I read it years ago, though I have to say it was one of the first English contemporary books I read. I don't know if I'd still like it today :shrug:, maybe :).

I hope your next reads will be more enjoyable!

Oh, I forgot one.

# 30

The Sisters by Nancy Jensen  A very well written and dark novel about estranged sisters and their journeys through life.  It was so bleak, and almost too real, with an unsatisfying ending that I made me not love it.  (3/5)

Edited by nursenblack

• 1 month later...

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

8580362.jpg

my review

When I first read about this YA novel about a brother and sister that fall in love, I thought it sounded pretty edgy and I knew I had to read it.  Sadly, I thought Forbidden was a major disappointment.  For something so taboo, it was so so boring.  Nothing happens for the first half of the novel, and when it does I just didn't buy it.  The ending was a bit of a shocker, but other than that it was a real snoozer. (2/5)

Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

140079.jpg

my review

What more can I say than, I really enjoyed this book in the series more than the others.  The suspense kept me reading, and I liked learning more about the Queen.  There's been many times that I haven't been a fan of the series, but for some unknown reason I keep on going.  I guess it's because they are such fun. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

18812405.jpg

synopsis from goodreads.com

Born to a prominent Chicago judge and his stifled socialite wife, Mia Dennett moves against the grain as a young inner-city art teacher. One night, Mia enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. With his smooth moves and modest wit, at first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life.
Colin's job was to abduct Mia as part of a wild extortion plot and deliver her to his employers. But the plan takes an unexpected turn when Colin suddenly decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota, evading the police and his deadly superiors. Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them, but no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter.
An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a compulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems….

my review

The Good Girl is a unique debut novel.  Each chapter switches narrators from three characters perspectives (Mia's mother, the detective, and the kidnapper), which sometimes I find really annoying and unnecessary, but in this case, it works.  Personally, I wouldn't categorize this novel as a thriller, but more of a psychological mystery.  

There have been many comparisons between The Good Girl and Gone Girl, which, in my opinion, are not alike but fans of the later will probably enjoy it.  I know I did.  (5/5)

Edited by nursenblack

Finished Dec. 26th

# 34

The Infinite Sea (The Second Book of The 5th Wave) by Rick Yancey

16131484.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.
Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.
Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

my review

The Infinite Sea, the second book of The 5th Wave trilogy, is definitely just as action packed and almost as enthralling as the first novel.  I anticipate these becoming very very popular, possibly even to Huger Games status, because they appeal to both genders and young adult to adult.  The trilogy is labeled young adult, but don't let that fool you because the graphic violence and language is often of an adult nature.

All that being said,  even though I enjoyed The Infinite Sea, I didn't find myself totally immersed as I did in the first novel.  The reason is that the MCs change throughout the series and supporting characters become narrators.  This is a trend in YA trilogies lately that really annoys me.   Thank goodness that Cassie was still a narrator, but Ben's pov was replaced by Ringer's.  Other than that I don't have too much to complain about.  I did like the second book and can't wait to find out what happens next. (4/5)

Edited by nursenblack

I was comparing my list on here to my Goodreads list and realized that the count was off by one.  I had accidentally counted #20 twice and had to go back and relabel each one from there!  So, I have actually read 34 books this year instead of 33.  Didn't quite hit my goal though. :doh: