Nursenblack's Reading List 2014

nursenblack

New Years resolution:  Keep my reading list updated!

Nursenblack's Reading List 2014

Rating Scale (1-5)

1) awful. Only fit for a birdcage liner

2)so so. Probably will not recommend

3)Just ok. Liked it, but nothing special

4)Enjoyable read. Will recommend

5)I loved it

Currently reading: The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (translated by Ralph Manheim)

TBR Pile

Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Infinityglass (an Hourglass novel) by Myra McEntire

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

The Land of Stories:The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

Dark Places by Gillian Glynn

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo
Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
Anita and Me by M. Syal
Jasmyn by Alex Bell
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
Kafka By the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tell The Wolves I'm Home was a wonderful read, very cleverly written I thought and found it sad yet uplifting in parts. Miss Peregrine and The Night Circus were excellent too. I'm going to make time to check out the others on your list very soon. :)

Hi Nursenblack

Welcome back !  I have the Joe Lansdale book at the top of your list, but have yet to read it . It sounds really good though .. Problem is, all of my books sound good, so I can't get to them all at once .

Hello nursenblack  :006:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

You have a varied TBR list  :smile:Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is on my wishlist, and Snow Flower etc. was one of the best books I read in 2013. Happy reading!

Hi Nursenblack

Welcome back !  I have the Joe Lansdale book at the top of your list, but have yet to read it . It sounds really good though .. Problem is, all of my books sound good, so I can't get to them all at once .

Agreed!  So do library books and kindle books, so I can't ever stay on top of my physical TBR pile.

Finished Jan 5th

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (translated by Ralph Manheim)

51R52gPHfiL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

synopsis

Bastian, a chubby, bullied, motherless boy hides in the school attic after stealing a mysterious book from a shopkeeper.   As he begins to read The Neverending Story, the boarders between the real world and Fantasia begin to fade.  Only he can save The Childlike Empress by giving her a new name.

review

As a child, I watched the movie endlessly, but I didn't even know it was adapted from a book until a couple of years ago.  A lot more happened in this novel than I realized, and at times, I was overwhelmed with the giant cast of characters.  At least at the end of the chapters when a character was no longer evolved the line was, “But that is another story, and shall be told at another time."  I thought that was a cute touch.

The hardback is beautiful, by the way, with green and red font to separate Fantasia from "the real world", and nice illustrations at the start of each chapter.  It would be a beautiful book to hand down through generations. (4/5)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Jan. 19th

Rush (The Breathless Trilogy) by Maya Banks (via kindle per library loan)

51x4TdCLYAL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

synopsis from amazon.com

Gabe, Jace, and Ash: three of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the country. They’re accustomed to getting anything they want. Anything at all. For Gabe, it’s making one particular fantasy come true with a woman who was forbidden fruit. Now she’s ripe for the picking...
When Gabe Hamilton saw Mia Crestwell walk into the ballroom for his hotel’s grand opening, he knew he was going to hell for what he had planned. After all, Mia is his best friend’s little sister. Except she’s not so little anymore. And Gabe has waited a long time to act on his desires.
Gabe has starred in Mia’s fantasies more than once, ever since she was a teenager with a huge crush on her brother’s best friend. So what if Gabe’s fourteen years older? Mia knows he’s way out of her league, but her attraction has only grown stronger with time. She’s an adult now, and there’s no reason not to act on her most secret desires.
As Gabe pulls her into his provocative world, she realizes there’s a lot she doesn’t know about him or how exacting his demands can be. Their relationship is intense and obsessive, but as they cross the line from secret sexual odyssey to something deeper, their affair runs the risk of being exposed—and vulnerable to a betrayal far more intimate than either expected.

review

Rush is an erotica romance that closely mimics Fifty Shades, but slightly dirtier with a lot less plot.  Erotica is not my usual genre of choice, but since I had seen it advertised quite a bit I thought I'd give it a chance.  

The story line had no premise other than, "we can't let big brother find out about us".  It was all about forbidden fruit and kinkiness.  I understand the book is erotica, but the multiple sex scenes were so long that I finally had to skim passed them.  I guess that's why each book in the trilogy has a new woman for the trio of best friends to devour. (1/5)

Finished Jan 5th

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (translated by Ralph Manheim)

51R52gPHfiL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

synopsis

Bastian, a chubby, bullied, motherless boy hides in the school attic after stealing a mysterious book from a shopkeeper.   As he begins to read The Neverending Story, the boarders between the real world and Fantasia begin to fade.  Only he can save The Childlike Empress by giving her a new name.

review

As a child, I watched the movie endlessly, but I didn't even know it was adapted from a book until a couple of years ago.  A lot more happened in this novel than I realized, and at times, I was overwhelmed with the giant cast of characters.  At least at the end of the chapters when a character was no longer evolved the line was, “But that is another story, and shall be told at another time."  I thought that was a cute touch.

The hardback is beautiful, by the way, with green and red font to separate Fantasia from "the real world", and nice illustrations at the start of each chapter.  It would be a beautiful book to hand down through generations. (4/5)

Coincidentally I saw this book (or maybe some other novel by Ende) at the library just recently and wondered if Ende was any good. I do like the sound of the book :smile2: Great review, thanks! I might have to check the book out! :)

• 3 weeks later...

My friend told me about this edition with the different colours, and I looked everywhere for one when I wanted to buy a copy but I couldn't find it. :( I ended up buying a regular ol' copy with all black text, and of course I later found one with the coloured text. Figures.  :roll: I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :) I rewatched the movie fairly recently, so maybe I should follow up with the book soon.

Insurgent (Divergent, Book 2) by Veronica Roth (via Kindle per library loan)

51-hBT05g3L._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

synopsis from amazon.com

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

Review

I really enjoyed Insurgent, probably more than Divergent even.  I love how the second book gets immediately into the action without a lot of boring build up or much summary of the first novel.  Also, Roth writes this series in present tense (in my opinion is more difficult to do), but it really works well with the amount of action.

I have Allegiant waiting for me, but have been a little nervous to start.  I fear being disappointed by a great series!  :unsure: (4/5)

The Truth About You & Me by Amanda Grace (via Kindle per library loan)

51VjmeJdWYL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

synopsis from amazon.com

On her first day at Green River Community College, Madelyn Hawkins meets Bennett Cartwright, her biology professor. He’s funny. He’s interested. And he has no idea that Madelyn is only sixteen.

When they’re together, Madelyn feels more alive than she’s ever felt before. And she knows Bennett feels the same way. She also knows that if she tells him her real age, their relationship will be over.

So Madelyn makes a simple decision.
She won’t tell him.

Review

Grace has a knack for presenting moral decisions and life problems in engrossing and quick passed novels, but The Truth About You & Me fell a little flat.  I absolutely loved But I Love Him, and was pretty disappointed in the unbelievability of this novel.  Not that things like this doesn't or couldn't happen, just that the presentation didn't make me believe it.   Plus, I wanted to smack Madelyn.  (2/5)

• 1 month later...

Well, I've gotten behind again, so I'll just give a brief thought about each to catch up.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.  Very enjoyable, whimsicle tale. Classic Gaiman style. (4/5)

The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman.  Loved the beginning, but lost my enthusiasm halfway through.  The romance didn't feel believable to me and lacked real passion.  Not my favorite from Hoffman. (3/5)

Allegiant (Divergent Series) by Vericona Roth

17383918.jpg

synopsis from amazon.com

Veronica Roth had her work cut out for her, ending a trilogy that had fans rabid for the final book, and she pulled it off like a champ. Allegiant kicks off right where Insurgent ended, so if it’s been a while since you read that one you might want to re-read the last couple of chapters to orient yourself. The first surprise in Allegiant is that Roth has switched to using alternating narratives of Tris and Four. At last readers get to see Tris as Four sees her and if, like me, you’ve been dying to get inside his head, you finally get your chance. One of the best things about this trilogy is the messy, passionate, and wholly authentic love story between these two. For Tris and Four, there is no love triangle, there are no sides to take--as in life, it’s only a matter of how their relationship will play out. Allegiant answers a lot of questions and also delivers some jaw-dropping twists--readers will go outside the fence, learn the origin story of the factions, and, of course, see how it all ends in a finale that packs a wallop and confirms Roth as a writer to watch for a long time to come. --Seira Wilson

Review

First, I haven't seen a book with this many polar opposite reviews in a long time, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  I don't run hot nor cold on this one, just a bit lukewarm. :smile:  The beginning was enough of a snoozer to make me put the book don't numerous times, but finally picked up after the first 100 pages (not a great endorsement, I know).  I wasn’t too keen on the switch between narrators, Tris and Tobias, at first, but it grew on me as the story picked up.

I will not, cannot, say anything about the ending except that it is a bit of a shocker.  I still slept like a baby that night though. (3/5)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I want to take a moment to brag about my small pile of treasures that I found at a used bookstore.  Some of these have been on my wishlist forever, but I refused to pay full price! 

Here's what I found:  Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann, Felicia's Journey by WilliamTevor (loved the movie), The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (the first short-stories book I have ever bought), and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.