Ian's reading 2014

ian

All great reviews ian.  :)

The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne Du Maurier

A classic of alienation and horror, The Birds was immortalised by Hitchcock in his celebrated film. The five other chilling stories in this collection echo a sense of dislocation and mock man's dominance over the natural world. The mountain paradise of 'Monte Verità' promises immortality, but at a terrible price; a neglected wife haunts her husband in the form of an apple tree; a professional photographer steps out from behind the camera and into his subject's life; a date with a cinema usherette leads to a walk in the cemetery; and a jealous father finds a remedy when three's a crowd . . .

My Thoughts

I bought this book primarily because I wanted to read the title story, but having read a fair bit of other Du Maurier, I knew the other stories, there are six in total, would also be worth reading. I wasn't disappointed. I can't remember too much now about the film version of the Birds, as it been a long time since I last watched it, but I do remember that sense of wrongness that runs throughout the film. These stories also have that. Even though each story starts with familiar surroundings, there is a real feeling of foreboding, almost gothic horror. "Monte Verita" possibly loses some of its impact in the final paragraphs, and "The LIttle Photographer" feels a touch out of place amongst the other stories but these are minor quibbles. On the plus side, the ending of "The Old Man" was such a surprise I laughed out loud and had to read the story again. Very clever. Also Du Maurier writes very convincingly as a male protaganist. Very good stuff and highly recommended. 5/5

I didn't realize that Hitchcock's film was based on a Du Maurier story!  thanks. :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the beginning of the year, I promised myself a re-read of the Harry Potter books. Well, I got a bit distracted by a certain Mr George RR Martin, but I'm finally back on track. I already read Philosopher's Stone (actually it was the American edition so Sorcerer's Stone) and I've started Chamber of Secrets. I probably won't bother reviewing them as I re-read them, but write something at the end of book 7. 

• 1 month later...

Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling

My Thoughts

It's been a marathon session: starting in early October with Philosopher's stone and ending yesterday with Deathly Hallows. I'd read them all before, but only the once, and from Order of the Phoenix onwards, as they were published, borrowing them off a friend as she finished them. This meant at the time that I read them in a soort of frenzy; trying to get to the end of them before somebody spoilt the ending for me. I was interested to see how the books stood up to a second, more relaxed read.

Well, the first thing was - it wasn't a relaxed read in sense that I thought it was going to be. Once I started, I was completely caught up in the whole universe of Harry Potter. I found myself sometimes racing through whole chapters - even though I knew what happened next. Even the book that I had previously thought was too long and slow to get to the point, Order of the Phoenix) this time around seemed just right. I loved every second of every book. I'm actually quite sad that I've finished.

I can give these books no higher praise than this: when I was reading them I was utterly transported to another world, and I felt like I was a young boy of 11 or so again.

5/5

Great review of the series, Ian. :) I don't think I've read the whole series in order since before the last book was released, and I'd like to do a full re-read. I remember having the same feeling as you though...I read them one after the other and was fully immersed in that world for months, and also sad to leave it again.

Great review, Ian :)! I'm glad you enjoyed re-reading them. Like you, the first time I read most of them, wasn't all in one go. I had never read book seven I believe. Last year and the beginning of this year, I re-read the series (and read book seven), I think one per month. I also really enjoyed re-reading them and they made me remember my younger days. It really is a wonderful world with lots of good characters, and I also found the books flew by.

What will you read next? After finishing a longer series, I sometimes find it difficult to get into a new book straight away.

Chrissy and Steve, I hope you both really enjoy your re-reads, if / when you do :).

Athena, I couldn't agree more - it's so difficult to find something suitable to read after reading such a long series. In the end it was Ruth that hit on the perfect solution for me. She was given "A Street cat called Bob" a couple of years ago. She doesn't really read at all (but apart from that aberration is almost normal!) so had sat on the shelves. She suggested it: as I say perfect. It looks to be a undemanding read (I mean that in the nicest sense), uplifting and non-fiction.

(but apart from that aberration is almost normal!)

:giggle: 

so had sat on the shelves. She suggested it: as I say perfect. It looks to be a undemanding read (I mean that in the nicest sense), uplifting and non-fiction.

I read A Streetcat Named Bob earlier this year. Like you, I needed an undemanding read at the time, and Bob perfectly fit the bill. :)

A Street cat named Bob by James Bowen

Synopsis

When James Bowen found an injured, ginger street cat curled up in the hallway of his sheltered accommodation, he had no idea just how much his life was about to change. James was living hand to mouth on the streets of London and the last thing he needed was a pet.

Yet James couldn't resist helping the strikingly intelligent tom cat, whom he quickly christened Bob. He slowly nursed Bob back to health and then sent the cat on his way, imagining he would never see him again. But Bob had other ideas.

Soon the two were inseparable and their diverse, comic and occasionally dangerous adventures would transform both their lives, slowly healing the scars of each other's troubled pasts.

A Street Cat Named Bob is a moving and uplifting story that will touch the heart of anyone who reads it.

My Thoughts

In some ways it's quite difficult to review a book like this. The writing style is a touch repetative and symplistic. Does that matter? Not really! At the end of the day, I was reading this because I wanted a simple, easy read. And at the end of the day, like most people reading this I imagine, I'm not looking for literary style, I want to read an interesting account of a guy that lives a very precarious existence, whose life is turned around by his befriending a cat.

James Bowen describes living a life that, thankfully, I have no experience of. Perhaps because of the simplicity of the writing, the story comes across more honest. At times what they (James & Bob) go through is absolutely terrible, but ultimately, this is a very uplifting book.  4/5

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Box by Michael Connelly

May 1992, and after four LAPD officers were acquitted after the savage beating of Rodney King, Los Angeles is ablaze. As looting and burning take over the city, law and order are swept away in a tidal wave of violence. But under threat of their lives, homicide detectives like Harry Bosch are still stubbornly trying to do their job. With no effective police presence on the streets, murder just got a whole lot easier - and investigating them a whole lot harder.

When Harry finds the body of a female journalist in an alley he is forced to hand over the case to the Riot Crimes Task Force, knowing that it will never be solved.

Twenty years later, new evidence confirms her death was not a case of random violence but something much more personal. This time Harry is determined that the killer isn't going to escape - even if it means stepping back into the darkest days of the city he loves...

My thoughts

When in doubt, read Michael Connelly. Yes, there are no great revelations or twists that you don't see coming; but for me, that isn't what M.C. or Harry Bosch is about. What you do have is solid, competent writing, a story that moves along at a nice pace, and a main character that feels real and that you have empathy for.  4/5

As for what to read next, I'm finding it a bit difficult. I've already started and given up on two books within the first chapter which is really unusual for me. Part of the problem is that I've been doing a lot of running around over the last couple of weeks, so I haven;t had the chance to pick up anything from charity shops (which is where I get the majority of my books at the mo) and I don't want to go and buy anything new in case I get it from someone else for Christmas. For the same reason I don't want to re-read anything lengthy 'cos once I see all those books I get on Christmas day (hopefully! :P ) I'll want to get into them right away. Nice "problem" to have!

Good review, Ian.  I always enjoy a Bosch book. :)  I haven't read enough of them!  Must really get on that.  You are right, they are just satisfying reads and the motivations are pretty clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson

When Karen Drew is found sitting in her wheelchair staring out to sea with her throat cut one chilly morning, DI Annie Cabbot, on loan to Eastern Area, gets lumbered with the case. Back in Eastvale, that same Sunday morning, 19-year-old Hayley Daniels is found raped and strangled in the Maze, a tangle of narrow alleys behind Eastvale's market square, after a drunken night on the town with a group of friends, and DCI Alan Banks is called in. Banks finds suspects galore, while Annie seems to hit a brick wall--until she reaches a breakthrough that spins her case in a shocking and surprising new direction, one that also involves Banks.

Then another incident occurs in the Maze which seems to link the two cases in a bizarre and mysterious way. As Banks and Annie dig into the past to uncover the deeper connections, they find themselves also dealing with the emotional baggage and personal demons of their own relationship. And it soon becomes clear that there are two killers in their midst, and that at any moment either one might strike again.

My Thoughts

I've always had a slight problem with Peter Robinson. The publishers would love you to think that these books are as good as Michael Connelly's "Bosch" or Ian Rankin's "Rebus". They are good, don't get me wrong.....just not that good.  The problem I've always had is that I occasionally come across little details that don't feel realistic, and they throw you out of the story, making you question other things. As daft as it sounds, one of those things is the names he gives some of his minor characters. Some of them feel a bit old-fashioned, and so not "real". Like I said it's very minor, ultra-picky point. But I always get past that and end up enjoying the story. This is a good one, and while guessing the killers identity is pretty easy, the enjoyment is waiting for the main characters to get there. Still enjoyable, and I will always read more 3/5