What's Up in January?

Kylie

I slipped down the stairs today, and really hurt my backside! :doh:

No idea how it happened - I was going round a corner between two flights and I have a vague recollection of feeling suddenly weightless, clearly where my foot slipped or miss a stair, and then immense pain when I crashed down onto a step at an angle and bumped down another two! It was quite a heavy landing, I sat there in shock for about 15 seconds, before making myself get the parcel the postman had left from the hallway, and getting back up the four flights to my apartment as quickly as possible.

I don't take to injury well, and it was such a deeply intense pain that I was afraid I had damaged bone or something - the fear of which in addition to the shock made me nearly pass out. I'm very Victorian in that sense, takes very little to make me light-headed! I was alright after a few mins, but my bum is now extemely sore on one side!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sofia - Maybe we could swap your cold for some of our rain? It has been relentless the past few weeks.. :(

Noll - I hope you're not feeling too sore now?  :empathy:

I've had a good week, Jojo (my pup) is now old enough to start some more interesting training now so on Monday I took her to her first agility class which she loved, unfortunately I'm not having much of a chance to practise at home, despite having a little equipment, because it has been raining so much and the garden is very soggy.  Today I took her to a Search and Rescue session (another 3 hours in the rain!  :o  ) It isn't something I have any experience of so it was very interesting to learn how the dogs trail a scent. Jojo got to have a go, she was very enthusiastic with trailing me as she is my velcro dog, but she couldn't quite see the relevance of finding anyone else.  :giggle: She changed her mind a little once she realised they had good treats though!  :giggle2:

Whereabouts in Surrey are you Chalie - I am up at Box Hill. We were cut off due to the floods for most of Christmas Eve. I am sure most people saw the Burford Bridge Hotel which is at the bottom of the Hill on the news as well - the main reason we were cut off !  

I'm in Lightwater and whilst soggy we've had no real flooding, partly due to recent flood defence work on the ponds in Lightwater Country Park. We're very lucky in that we are surrounded by heathland which drains well but still the Country Park has many rivulets running through it (which the dogs love) and I don't think I've has a Muckboot free walk since November!

Noll - I hope you're not feeling too sore now?  :empathy:

More sore, actually! Yesterday it was just my bum (have a fine bruise and lump to show for my adventure!) but today both my sides are sore in the same place as each other - a bruised, strained sort of feeling. Not sure if it's a slow-developing after effect of the fall, or if I've hurt myself sleeping oddly on my sides to avoid hurting my bruises! Sigh! Definitely gonna pick up some Panadol today though, I need it!

The training with Jojo sounds adoreable - I can imagine trying to put my parents dog through that, even as a puppy she would have been like 'people? nope. Other dogs??? NOPE.' :giggle:

I'm in Lightwater and whilst soggy we've had no real flooding, partly due to recent flood defence work on the ponds in Lightwater Country Park. We're very lucky in that we are surrounded by heathland which drains well but still the Country Park has many rivulets running through it (which the dogs love) and I don't think I've has a Muckboot free walk since November!

Sounds like you got off a lot lighter than us then.

I have a week off from work soon, and Coran and I have booked a few nights near Amesbury in Wiltshire, which is just up the road from Stonehenge. I rang them this afternoon then and arranged a private access visit as a surprise, where we actually go right into the centre of the stones themselves. It has been a good ten years since the last time we did this, and it will be very different in the middle of winter.

Congrats Bobblybear! ...What were the exams?

Thanks! They are exams for CIMA (Management Accounting).

Handed in a paper today. 2 exams await later this week. Ethics and history of philosophy. And a new course starts Monday. The final term for me because I can call myself a teacher. 

All the best for your exams, Emelee.  Ethics and philosophy sounds very heavy on the theory - not my strong point!

I've just seen a freakin' Easter advert . . .

Yup, I saw some Easter Eggs in Boots. :thud:

x

Congrats on passing your exams!!

Thank you! :smile:

Well done bobbs and good luck for the next exams :flowers2:

Thank you! :smile:

I don't take to injury well, and it was such a deeply intense pain that I was afraid I had damaged bone or something - the fear of which in addition to the shock made me nearly pass out. I'm very Victorian in that sense, takes very little to make me light-headed! I was alright after a few mins, but my bum is now extemely sore on one side!!

Ouch! Sounds painful! I'm a bit 'Victorian' like that as well, and have nearly fainted before when I have banged my elbow and my knee. :blush2: Hope you feel better soon.

I've had a good week, Jojo (my pup) is now old enough to start some more interesting training now so on Monday I took her to her first agility class which she loved, unfortunately I'm not having much of a chance to practise at home, despite having a little equipment, because it has been raining so much and the garden is very soggy.  Today I took her to a Search and Rescue session (another 3 hours in the rain!  :o  ) It isn't something I have any experience of so it was very interesting to learn how the dogs trail a scent. Jojo got to have a go, she was very enthusiastic with trailing me as she is my velcro dog, but she couldn't quite see the relevance of finding anyone else.  :giggle: She changed her mind a little once she realised they had good treats though!  :giggle2:

How did you get Jojo registered for Search and Rescue? I had a look at their website a while ago, just out of curiosity, and they said something about not accepting dogs from the general public, and that dogs need to be on some kind of pre-selected list. Sounded all a bit complicated! :doh:

I have a week off from work soon, and Coran and I have booked a few nights near Amesbury in Wiltshire, which is just up the road from Stonehenge. I rang them this afternoon then and arranged a private access visit as a surprise, where we actually go right into the centre of the stones themselves. It has been a good ten years since the last time we did this, and it will be very different in the middle of winter.

Hope you have a nice visit to Amesbury. I've never been, but heard it's more impressive than Stonehenge.

How did you get Jojo registered for Search and Rescue? I had a look at their website a while ago, just out of curiosity, and they said something about not accepting dogs from the general public, and that dogs need to be on some kind of pre-selected list. Sounded all a bit complicated! :doh:

We're being taught by a woman who is a member of Bucks SAR, she does is for 2 reasons, to raise money for her group (we each pay £10 for 3 hours training) and to see if there is anyone with potential and who would like to volunteer. At present I wouldn't be able to volunteer as I have to be around for the children but maybe if Jojo takes to it well we could apply to join a SAR team in a couple of years. I went on the Surrey SAR website and they put a lot of emphasis on fitness and navigational skills.

Would you fancy trying it with Reuben BB? I'm sure I could ask if there is anyone doing it in your area.. :)

Hope you have a nice visit to Amesbury. I've never been, but heard it's more impressive than Stonehenge.

I think you are getting confused between Avebury and Amesbury bobblybear - Amesbury is a small village a few miles from Stonehenge. It is private access to Stonehenge that I have managed to book - to actually walk among the stones and be able to touch them before the site opens to the public for the day. We hope to visit Avebury as well though while we are in the area. You don't need special permission to walk around the stones there.

Edited by Talisman

I've had a good week, Jojo (my pup) is now old enough to start some more interesting training now so on Monday I took her to her first agility class which she loved, unfortunately I'm not having much of a chance to practise at home, despite having a little equipment, because it has been raining so much and the garden is very soggy. Today I took her to a Search and Rescue session (another 3 hours in the rain! :o ) It isn't something I have any experience of so it was very interesting to learn how the dogs trail a scent. Jojo got to have a go, she was very enthusiastic with trailing me as she is my velcro dog, but she couldn't quite see the relevance of finding anyone else. :giggle: She changed her mind a little once she realised they had good treats though! :giggle2:

x

It sounds like fun, shame about the rain though.

x

More sore, actually! Yesterday it was just my bum (have a fine bruise and lump to show for my adventure!) but today both my sides are sore in the same place as each other - a bruised, strained sort of feeling. Not sure if it's a slow-developing after effect of the fall, or if I've hurt myself sleeping oddly on my sides to avoid hurting my bruises! Sigh! Definitely gonna pick up some Panadol today though, I need it!

x

I hope you feel better soon, Noll :(:empathy:

x

I hope you enjoy yourselves :)!

My foot (after stepping into a sharp pin) isn't hurting much anymore. The wound is still there but it's healing up, gladly. I can walk normally now :).

My laptop's new charger is working (yay :) ) so I can go browse the forum now (not so easy on a phone really). Today we're celebrating my mum's birthday with the wider family so there's a few people coming over later. It'll be nice to talk with people but I'm not really looking forward to the busyness, it's just too tiring. So I plan to hide in my room now and then and maybe do some reading or browse the forum.

My brother is back from Chile and so I'm still getting used to him being here again. I haven't really talked much with him yet (I prefer to do so with not many other people around, since that's less tiring for me.).

Yesterday I went into town and bought some stuff. I also had a nice long bath and we had a great dinner for my mum's birthday. Traditionally each of us gets to pick one dinner (what to eat) some time around our birthday. We wanted to wait for my brother to be back so he could be a part of it.

The plan for the next few days is to rest a bit from all the input from today and the past few days.

We had a VERY large earthquake here yesterday.  Magnitude 6.3 and it was fairly shallow.  Some stuff fell off shelves in our house, but nothing broken.  There is damage to chimneys and roads where we live, and some cliffs fell down.  We get a lot of quakes, but this one was VERY scary.  My daughter now won't stay home alone.  Hopefully after a few days she'll feel better.  She was actually out by herself at a supermarket, and that really scared her.  This is the third big one we've had since August and all of them she's been away from me when they've happened, so that's really affected her.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ByBu1iOXk

This video is at a greyhound track only about 3 kms from my house.

There have been quite a few aftershocks, so we're all really jumpy still.

We had a VERY large earthquake here yesterday.  Magnitude 6.3 and it was fairly shallow.  Some stuff fell off shelves in our house, but nothing broken.  There is damage to chimneys and roads where we live, and some cliffs fell down.  We get a lot of quakes, but this one was VERY scary.

Being from the Bay Area part of California, I've been through a few- only one that large though, and one very shallow one, which brought down almost every chimney in the area I lived in.  I am so sorry you have them, they are scary as...

xoxo

Had a surprisingly good day after a rotten night.  Did something I hate last night, and fell asleep in the armchair in front of the fire for an hour before I went up to bed.  When I got to bed, as soon as I put my head down, my wheezy cough started.  Because I'd already had a nap, I wasn't so tired that I could fall asleep straight away, and led there coughing every couple of minutes.  Decided to get up after an hour of that, and sat in the chair for an hour and didn't cough once.  Tried going to bed again, and started coughing immediately, so read my book for a while and eventually felt wide away, so I got up again.  Sat in the chair with a quilt around me and watched television for a while (and good lord, there's some rubbish on at 3am!) and then fell asleep for an hour, and when I woke up it was only an hour before I was due to get up for work, but I was actually quite tired then, so went back up to bed and managed another hours sleep.

When I got into work, I felt really tired to start with, but soon brightened up, and haven't felt tired all day.  I also barely coughed all day, until I left work but I can feel it starting again now.  Hoping that if I can stay awake this evening, I'll be so tired by the time I go to bed, I'll fall asleep as soon as I my head hits the pillow! :D

chesilbeach - to stop coughing, put some vicks vap-o-rub on the bottoms of your feet.........seriously.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to taking medicines, muggle - I don't believe any of them really work, so I don't keep anything like that in the house, unfortunately.  If I have another bad night tonight, I'll get some tomorrow and give it a go, thanks. :)

It does work, as does taking echinacea at the first sign of a cold, as does honey and Manuka honey to soothe a cough and sore throat, I used to be a cynic but these things are all better than the chemical concoctions that are night nurse and lemsip. :)

Yep, I agree with Chalie and Muggle - vaporub, and manuka honey for their respective ailments are extremely good. And the honey isn't medicine! Vaporub... I guess it sort of is but at least you don't have to go to a pharmacy for it. I too get wheezy sometime when trying to sleep and Vicks worked for me. Hope you sleep well tonight Claire!

Oh rough night Claire :empathy:  :( (and yes .. TV is terrible in the small wee hours .. why can't they put good old b&w films on?) I hate it when I have a 'lying down cough' .. I haven't tried the Vicks vapour rub thing though and I always have a tub in so next time I'll try and remember (though I'll probably forget where I'm supposed to put it .. could be interesting :giggle:)

Glad it didn't make you feel too bad today and hope you sleep like a hibernating bear tonight :D