What's Up in January?

Kylie

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so excited, today I am off to meet my friend for a night away, my first in approximately 10 years without Steve and/or kids. We are meeting for a nice lunch and maybe a little light shopping (there may be an independent book shop if the website is up to date), then we are going to Champneys in Tring for an overnight stay with a couple of treatment, a swim, sauna, jacuzzi. The food is supposed to be healthy and nutritious (just what I need after Christmas!) but they do have wine thank goodness, just one glass will be lovely. What I am most looking forward to though is a lay in, no kids or dogs shouting to be fed and walked.  I'm sure I'll miss them all but a recharge of the old batteries is most definitely needed. :)

I wish you lots of fun, Hayley :)!

A lot has been going on the past week so I'm glad to try and rest for a bit. Yesterday we had two unexpected visits of family, which is difficult for me to handle.

Last night we had the most amazing filet mignon with sautéed mushrooms and baked potatoes.  I had excellent wine, then some Champaign and fell asleep before 12  :sleeping-smiley-009  I'm old (37 on the 8th), give me a break! :D

Today I went with my mom and bought some Much needed dishes at one of my favorite store.  Gorgeous pattern, can't wait to get them into the cupboard!

Happy 2014!! And here's to all the books TBR in the New Year!

Edited by Anna Begins

What a delightful day today has been - first day back at work after a long break over Christmas, a new cough that has settled in nicely and requires attention every few minutes, and all the extra traffic on the way home around the shopping centres due to the sales! :D

Still, back home with a cup of coffee and a catch up on BCF, before settling down with my book for an hour now. :coffee1: 

Bit of yucky start to the year with this coughing and spluttering cold thing...thanks to hubby passing it on  :banghead: He likes to share these things.....better not though I got my first washing of 2014 hung out for a while today :D

I used to love to crochet as a kid, Poppy!  I'm resolved to pick it back up again this year.  We'll see how much I remember!

Even though we had a quiet holiday, I still seemed to be so busy.  I'm thankful for the new year and new challenges.  I'm also out-of-this-world thankful and glad to report I am officially 100% debt-free!  Of course, with this being the first month of this momentous event my car needs some major repairs, but not too much for me to handle, thankfully.  Now I'll be saving for a new laptop and trips!  I hope to see my siblings in CA in April and beyond that the world! :lol:

Anyway, working my behind off the last 4 1/2 years has been completely worth it. 

In other news, we've had below 0 temps and I'm extremely annoyed.  It's not natural to be this cold I'm telling you!

:D

Went shopping for luggage at Guess today.  Excellent sales from the outlet stores, I also got 2 purses- one from Guess and one from Coach.  I can put both my tablet, cord and Kindle in them.  :exc:

We are headed to Disneyland (season passes) so I can't wait to use my new luggage! :D

I'm so excited, today I am off to meet my friend for a night away, my first in approximately 10 years without Steve and/or kids. We are meeting for a nice lunch and maybe a little light shopping (there may be an independent book shop if the website is up to date), then we are going to Champneys in Tring for an overnight stay with a couple of treatment, a swim, sauna, jacuzzi. The food is supposed to be healthy and nutritious (just what I need after Christmas!) but they do have wine thank goodness, just one glass will be lovely. What I am most looking forward to though is a lay in, no kids or dogs shouting to be fed and walked.  I'm sure I'll miss them all but a recharge of the old batteries is most definitely needed. :)

Sounds great chalie, have fun.

I used to love to crochet as a kid, Poppy!  I'm resolved to pick it back up again this year.  We'll see how much I remember!

Even though we had a quiet holiday, I still seemed to be so busy.  I'm thankful for the new year and new challenges.  I'm also out-of-this-world thankful and glad to report I am officially 100% debt-free!  Of course, with this being the first month of this momentous event my car needs some major repairs, but not too much for me to handle, thankfully.  Now I'll be saving for a new laptop and trips!  I hope to see my siblings in CA in April and beyond that the world! :lol:

Anyway, working my behind off the last 4 1/2 years has been completely worth it. 

In other news, we've had below 0 temps and I'm extremely annoyed.  It's not natural to be this cold I'm telling you!

:D

Congratulations!! Being debt free is something to strive for and will give you much peace of mind.

Went shopping for luggage at Guess today.  Excellent sales from the outlet stores, I also got 2 purses- one from Guess and one from Coach.  I can put both my tablet, cord and Kindle in them.  :exc:

We are headed to Disneyland (season passes) so I can't wait to use my new luggage! :D

My wife likes the Coach purses but also likes Dooney & Burke.

Brilliant stuff Peacefield, looking forward to your UK visit! ;)

Feel better soon Laura. :smile:

My little car and I have travelled around a bit today and have managed to avoid the worst of the weather and it's results. There have been swollen rivers and flooded fields, giant puddles and lanes turned into streams, and debris and marks that show where the last round of bad weather had an impact. I am truly grateful to live on a rise inland from the coast. Despite some family health concerns (that are being taken care of), 2014 has started quietly for me and mine. Not sure that I want it to get 'louder'.

Brilliant stuff Peacefield, looking forward to your UK visit! ;)

Feel better soon Laura. :smile:

My little car and I have travelled around a bit today and have managed to avoid the worst of the weather and it's results. There have been swollen rivers and flooded fields, giant puddles and lanes turned into streams, and debris and marks that show where the last round of bad weather had an impact. I am truly grateful to live on a rise inland from the coast. Despite some family health concerns (that are being taken care of), 2014 has started quietly for me and mine. Not sure that I want it to get 'louder'.

Chrissy - be thankful :). How would you like 24" of snow and temperatures below 0 degrees F. :)

http://weather.aol.com/2014/01/03/heavy-snow-brutal-cold-affect-millions-in-northeast/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl12%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D426351

I was thankful before your weather mention Muggle Not, and now I am way way beyond that thinking of 24 inches of snow! :o 

The UK newspapers had mentioned the USA getting hit with bad weather but have been concentrating on the UK storms. Snow that deep that quick can be so perilous. Cripes, it makes me feel cold just thinking abut it

Happy new year, everyone!

A new year came and, as every year, I swear to be less lazy, more productive. I hope so. ahah

I hope to read more books, to finish the high school and do the final exams very well.

And, I hope very much to go in england this summer and improve my language...

For this month, I would read a lot, overcome all the tests at school, and, finally, I would a part time job :3

Happy New Year Everyone, I hope 2014 is great for you all. :) 

Nothing much to report, still looking for a job. :)

Thanks, Muggle, it's a giant weight off my shoulders, not having the debt anymore :D

We are on the way up here as far as temps, FINALLY.  Seriously, that -20 below zero stuff got old before it even happened.  We're supposed to be in the 30's this weekend so watch out!  I bet you anything I'll see people shopping in shirtsleeves :lol:

The UK is the first big trip I'm planning, Chrissy!  So I will keep you posted.  I'm hoping to visit a lot of BCF folk plus work on my ancestry in Dorset and Somerset.  I can't wait!

As always, mucho good-job vibes from me to you, Paula :D

Feeling better now and managed my first swim, since the end of November, Due to all the ear stuff/labyrinthitis and this cough splutter I haven't been. It was a bit slow and can feel the muscles achey I haven't used in a while again, but hopefully will get back in to the routine.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better now. I hope you get back into the routine soon.

My mood seems to swing quite a bit lately, due to my medication. One moment I'm feeling really down or annoyed, the next I'm feeling happier. I also am quite stressed and am looking forward to going to the book fair in a while or going into town so I can buy things to read. Which strangely strokes with my aim of not buying as many books and not spending as much money, this year. I really am an addict! Still, just because I'm going doesn't mean I necessarily have to come back with a lot of books..

Edited by Athena

I suspect Athena that might be easier said than done. :smile: I do hope though that you feel better soon.

Some of you may recall that back in October I was offered a new job. It was only after I got my CRB that they informed me I would need to undertake what amounted to induction training prior to handing in my notice at my existing job - something that was clearly not possible. After several weeks of going backwards and forwards, trying to speak to various people on this (including my Union, who backed me up), the new company said that the training would be put back to January. I wasn't for obvious reasons happy with this. so I wrote to both the home itself and their Head Office expressing my concerns and asking them to come up with a solution. Neither of them responded.

When I switched my phone on today, there was a message from the Home from yesterday asking me if I could do the training on 3 separate days in January not one of which is suitable. I rang the home and predictably no one was there, so I have emailed them again telling them where to go, and of course asking for a read receipt. I am sorry it has come to this, but I cannot work for a company that continually mucks me about and does not have the courtesy to respond to my emails. It may not be perfect where I am, but I am not about to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.   

Yikes June, that sounds incredibly stressful! I couldn't cope with that at all. I hope it starts to work out for you - I know the feeling with being ignored and running around like a headless chicken trying to get answers to things and it's really horrible.

What's up in January for me? Well aside from trying to find a new (and hopefully less stressful) job, and being back HERE! I'm trying to get myself back into a lot of my hobbies besides drawing (which I'm always doing a little bit of.) So, reading and learning, for the most part!

I'm also off to a good start with my attempts at positive thinking (which I really need to focus on to combat my anxiety) - I'm writing down at least one (sometimes more) positive thought/s a day on post-its, folding them up and putting them into a little basket (in lieu of a jar, which I do not have!). So far I've not missed any days, I've found something good in every day, even the anxiety-ridden ones. I had a horrendously depressing New Years Eve, a night I always hate and find difficult anyway - so the goal is next New Year's Eve I will open up all my positive thoughts from 2014!

At this precise moment in time my inner nerd is taking full advantage of the fact that Coursera has a DINOSAUR COURSE! I'm a dinosaur nerd, and while I've taught myself quite a bit about them just by reading things online, it's really fun to do a proper course on them. (For anyone who doesn't know, Coursera is an online open-acess platform which, in conjunction with universities around the world, hosts university-level courses for free, taught by lecturers and tutors from those universities in their areas of expertise.) I do it for fun, because I love learning for learning's sake, and have done ones in Psychology, Internet History/Security, and the History of Rock Music in America before - it's brilliant for people like me who need structure, deadlines and assignments - and the best part is it's all free. Unless you want to try and get credit/take exams equviliant to the ones running in the university hosting the course, in which case you pay a fee of no more than a few hundred dollars, but I think that's fair!

At the moment I'm practising my knowledge of dino skeletons by putting a virtual one together! I love learning :D

Edited by Nollaig