Michelle's Reading in 2014

Michelle

Moving onwards, I now have The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer to read. It has just won 'best first novel' in the Costa awards, which would normally make me avoid it, but something about it caught my attention. I checked amazon vine (the review program) and a copy was available, so that has arrived today. :)  

I've also got a Stop Smoking book - not that I smoke myself, but I do Smoking Cessation as part of my job, and this is apparently a very good book which backs up what we tell patients, so you never know, I might learn something. :) 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I'm jumping back a little bit but - Tithe is a terrible book! I forced my way through it once and couldn't believe how bad it was. However, the second book in that series, which is set in the same world but follows a whole other character and story, was far more enjoyable (Valiant). It's still not Class A writing, so you might not like it, but I enjoyed the characters and stories significantly more than in Tithe. I read it occasionally as a standalone book now.

Thanks for the tip Noll, have you read anything else of hers? I've liked everything else I've read.

I've already finished The Shock of the Fall, and I thought it was really good. It's written by someone experiencing schizophrenia, and his background etc is slowly unravelled. Not everyone is going to like the style, but I found myself pulled straight in, and I think it'll stick with me for a while.

I actually haven't really read much else by her because I was so unimpressed by the Modern Faerie Tales series - however I just looked up some 'Best Of YA in 2013' lists, and on the one I chose to go with there is a Holly Black title called The Coldest Girl In Coldtown - so I'm going to give that a try!

Apparently she's also working on a forthcoming series with Cassandra Clare (The Magisterium Series), so that'll be interesting!

I like the sound of The Shock Of The Fall too, I might add that to my shiny new TBR pile!

As we had no internet, and I'd had a rough week, I decided to treat myself to some more reading, and I've finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I'm a bit mixed about how I feel, it wasn't as creepy as I expected, although it did build up well at the beginning, but I disliked all the characters, and got a bit confused at some points. I also thought something completely different was going on at the end, so was a bit disappointed.

'The stuff of nightmares' sounds great, looking forward to your review.  I am so looking forward to 'Hollow City by Ransom Riggs ~ happy reading Michelle :)

Edited by Weave

After a bit of chopping and changing with my audio books, I settled on Earth Abides by George R Stewart. It sounds interesting, has good reviews, plus a nice calm narrator, which is useful when I listen at night to wind down. :)

Book-wise, I'm about half way through Unrest by Michelle Harrison, which I'm quite impressed with - I hope that continues. I also received Starship Troopers from Amazon today, and couldn't resist a quick read in the bath. I think it should be good, but my edition has really small writing, so I won't be able to read too much at once!

Michelle

Just to jump in here and say I agree with you about the Haunting on Hill House book. I never understood what all the hype was about . I ,too, found it kinda pointless and really not very impressive , but that's just my opinion .

Hope you find some other books you like more !

I saw that the Hollow City book was out. waiting to hear how some of you guys like it before buying it . :)

After a bit of chopping and changing with my audio books, I settled on Earth Abides by George R Stewart. It sounds interesting, has good reviews, plus a nice calm narrator, which is useful when I listen at night to wind down. :)

I have this on my wishlist, and I'm hoping it will come out for Kindle soon.

I also received Starship Troopers from Amazon today, and couldn't resist a quick read in the bath. I think it should be good, but my edition has really small writing, so I won't be able to read too much at once!

I read Starship Troopers last year, and found it different to what I expected. If I recall correctly, it got a bit philosophical toward the end (or maybe it was political, I can't remember! :giggle:).

Julie, it's always a bit strange when you don't get on with a book with is well liked, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :) I also didn't see what the fuss as about with Rebecca as well.

bobblybear, do you prefer your kindle then? I thought pretty much everything was available, so I was wrong there! ;)

Yep, Michelle

We all tend to like different things, and some books just don't float my boat . I'm usually pretty vocal about it even if it's a popular book with everyone else . I tend not to follow the crowd with my reading , and also I think I have odd reading tastes for a lady. There are lots of books that ladies would like that I don't . I think a lot of books I enjoy would be more popular with men .

I DID like Rebecca  ,but I'm sure there's lots of people who wouldn't enjoy it at all .   :)

bobblybear, do you prefer your kindle then? I thought pretty much everything was available, so I was wrong there! ;)

I most definitely prefer my Kindle. It just makes reading so much easier and convenient. I will still read tree books, mainly because I have so many on my shelf that are unread, but I prefer to read ebooks now. On Amazon, you can request a book to be published on Kindle, but I don't know how effective it is. I suppose if they have hundreds or thousands of requests they will do a Kindle version. It seems like all new releases have a Kindle version, but many older books don't. Guess I just have to be patient, but if I really want to read something then I'll read it - ebook or treebook. :D

Unrest by Michelle Harrison was pretty good, about a 17 year old who experiences sleep paralysis and out-of-body experiences whilst asleep. Aspects of it seem typical YA, but at the same time, there were some quite creepy and chilling moments.

I'm also about half way through Starship Troopers, which is proving to be a good read so far. :) 

Oooh Michelle, Unrest sounds awesome! I read the Amazon synopsis, and I'm not sure about the

character triangle thing with Sebastian and Ophelia,

but at least I'm aware of that going into it - as a sufferer of occasional sleep paralysis, the idea of reading a book featuring shadowy figures lurking around during said paralysis is terrifying to me, so I absolutely have to give this a go!

Edited by Nollaig

I remember you talking about before Noll, and the author says she came up with the idea after talking to a friend who also experiences them. It's not much of a triangle at all, and that aspect is right towards the end, and there's plenty of creepiness in it for YA. :)

I'm surprised how much I liked Starship Troopers. I got a bit lost when he was talking about the different ranks, and chains of command, and there were a few political/philosophical ideas, but at the basic level it was a story about attacking bugs! ;)

I'm carrying on with the SF theme, and am trying Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card. It was part of a 6 got £10 deal in The Works, so I don't mind too much if I don't get into it.

I'm surprised how much I liked Starship Troopers. I got a bit lost when he was talking about the different ranks, and chains of command, and there were a few political/philosophical ideas, but at the basic level it was a story about attacking bugs! ;)

Ooh, good to know, I must get this myself :smile:  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really like admitting this, because I don't like supporting the author, but I really loved Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card, and I'm now starting the 2nd one, Earth Afire. They're set before Ender's Game, are an easy read, and have some good characters in.

I'm also rather impressed with the fact that I read 7 books in January!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I managed to cut down on the books I accepted for reviewing, but this year I'm trying to not do any (unless something amazing comes my way of course!) - it means I'm able to pick up exactly what I want to, which is something I need.

I've just started Replay - seeing it mentioned so often on here, how could I not?!

Last year I managed to cut down on the books I accepted for reviewing, but this year I'm trying to not do any (unless something amazing comes my way of course!) - it means I'm able to pick up exactly what I want to, which is something I need.

I've just started Replay - seeing it mentioned so often on here, how could I not?!

LOL, of course!

I hope you enjoy it. :)