Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

I'm happy to hear you're liking The Goldfinch! :)

The Goldfinch is a great read, I'm really enjoying it. :readingtwo:

You have to let us know how you like the Honore de Balzac book, when you get to it. He's always intimidated me :hide:

Well, I had little look of the first chapter of another of his novels, can't remember exactly which one it was, (Cousin Bette,possibly?). His writing style seemed very similar to Emile Zola, (similarly they both can be very intimidating!), but after reading two of Zola's Les Rougon-Macquart series a couple of years ago, I really, really enjoyed them. And they are usually either free or dirt cheap as e-books too.  :smile:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About three quarters of the way through Love Nina by Nina Stibbe and absolutely loving it.

I have Love Nina on the library's requests list.  Good to hear that you're loving it  :smile:

Finished Barkeep by William Lashner last night.  Will write a review, soon.  I'm a bit torn.

Not sure what is next, but someone on Constant Reader mentioned a book I have on the shelf, Far From the Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity by Andrew Solomon.  It's one that a reader can dip in and out of, so I've pulled it to add to the top of the stack. :)

And I was thinking I'd get back into The Illiad

Edited by pontalba

I have Love Nina on the library's requests list.  Good to hear that you're loving it  :smile:

I've finished it now ... great read. It got funnier the more I read .. it took a little while to tune into her humour .. but not long. Hope you enjoy it Marie :) I'm really enjoying The Goldfinch but getting annoyed with it .. not with the writing which is excellent but with Theo ... he's making all the wrong decisions :(

Finished Barkeep by William Lashner last night.  Will write a review, soon.  I'm a bit torn.

Not sure what is next, but someone on Constant Reader mentioned a book I have on the shelf, Far From the Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity by Andrew Solomon.  It's one that a reader can dip in and out of, so I've pulled it to add to the top of the stack. :)

And I was thinking I'd get back into The Illiad

I'd like to read Far from the Tree one day. I started reading another of his books, The Noonday Demon (about depression), which was excellent, although I didn't get too far for some reason. I want to get back to it and finish reading it this year.

I'm already a quarter of the way through and just cant put it down! :D

It's a real page turner isn't it  :smile:

I finished Cousin Phillis at the dentists yesterday afternoon, the book was a bit of a disappointment so i decided i need a nice juicy book for my next read so i've made a start on The Goldfinch  Donna Tartt .

Yes i had mixed feelings about it at different points in the story as well 

You know, I'm relieved that I'm not the only one! :blush: I've come to the second part of the book, three years later, and again I find myself perplexed! What has happened :o But I'm just going to read on, it'll become clear, I'm sure.

I finished Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware (a graphic novel) and have started Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

We already talked about this, but :exc:   for reading RwS! :D

Well, I had little look of the first chapter of another of his novels, can't remember exactly which one it was, (Cousin Bette,possibly?). His writing style seemed very similar to Emile Zola, (similarly they both can be very intimidating!), but after reading two of Zola's Les Rougon-Macquart series a couple of years ago, I really, really enjoyed them. And they are usually either free or dirt cheap as e-books too. 

I'm happy to hear that. Maybe you are the missing link to this, maybe you are the one who will make me able to read both Balzac and Zola! :D Oh, and re: Zola. Remember when we talked about him and you recommended a few of his books? I've recently remembered that the costume drama The Paradise is based on Zola's The Ladies' Paradise. The series was so great that I think the book cannot be that bad, can it? Maybe that's the way to start.

And yes, one of the great things about classics is that they are usually either free or dirt cheap, as you put it :D

I'm already a quarter of the way through and just cant put it down!

It's freaking brilliant, isn't it? :D

I'm still reading The Line of Beauty, I haven't made much progress in the past few days so I have to really get going today. I've also started Kati in Paris by Astrid Lindgren, the third and final novel in the Kati series. It might be my least favorite... Nothing to do with Paris, though, but the blissful smug married :rolleyes::giggle2: As Bridget Jones might put it!

Finished Paper Towns by John Green, excellent. Strangely I found it to be a clever combination of superficial and deep at the same time.. Four reads so far this year and three of them 5/5's. :)

x

That's great :D.

My mojo is a little bit on the low side but I started reading Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain. I bought it upon recommendation from people here (ie. Frankie) and so far I'm liking it a lot :).

I only had the final chapter of Ghost Moth by Michele Forbes left to read,so finished it in a comfy leather armchair in the library! Recently found a boxed,near mint 1976 illustrated copy of Watership Down in Oxfam for £5! Also bought Butcher's Crossing by John Wiliams,The House Of Silk by Anthony Horowitz,A Cry In The Night by Tom Grieves,and Revenger by Rory Clements.

I only had the final chapter of Ghost Moth by Michele Forbes left to read,so finished it in a comfy leather armchair in the library! Recently found a boxed,near mint 1976 illustrated copy of Watership Down in Oxfam for £5! Also bought Butcher's Crossing by John Wiliams,The House Of Silk by Anthony Horowitz,A Cry In The Night by Tom Grieves,and Revenger by Rory Clements.

x

Congrats on the new books, I hope you enjoy them :).

I'd like to read Far from the Tree one day. I started reading another of his books, The Noonday Demon (about depression), which was excellent, although I didn't get too far for some reason. I want to get back to it and finish reading it this year.

I've read only about 20-odd pages, but it's reader friendly and very interesting.  He postulating some very interesting connections.

Reading Hollow City

How are you liking it Sofia ? I've heard it's better than the first book .

Me too, me too!  Whaddaya think?? :D

Edited by pontalba