Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

My Mum and her brother and sister used to have condensed milk sandwiches (during the war) - they decided one Christmas a few years ago to try them again aand all thought they were disgusting! :lol:

:D

My Dad used to have sugar sandwiches and has done the same! :D

I loved Dandelion and Burdock 'fizzy pop' (now that is another old-time term :giggle: ) when I was a child. Tried some a few weeks ago - argh! it was vile! :giggle2:

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However he is nowhere near as patronising as Enid and I still find myself loving her stories   (most of her working class characters were a bit 'Dick Van Dyke' too  ) Oh dear the overwhelming snobbishness of her books (especially Malory Towers/St Clares) sailed right over my head as a child.  

You should read The Six Bad Boys, Kay, talk about predjudice, the message in the book is that if your a single mum or parents who argue in front of your children they will undoubtably come to a bad end. But if your a single mum you wont care when your only child is hauled off to a childrens home because your a selfish person for wanting to go out to work & not being at home so your child has to stop at school for their lunch & working class children only read comics. Even my youngest daughter who was 8 at the time i read it to her & is an Enid Blyton fan laughed at some of the old fashioned (stuck up) ideas in the story  :o

Nearly halfway through The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst for the reading circle.

Really looking forward to discussing it - quite a few talking points I think!

Lol....you can say that again  :giggle:

Then I picked up The Line of Beauty, I'm about ~50 pages in :)

Dying to know what you think of it  :D

My Mum and her brother and sister used to have condensed milk sandwiches (during the war) - they decided one Christmas a few years ago to try them again aand all thought they were disgusting! :lol:

Yuck!!!!

My Dad used to have sugar sandwiches and has done the same! :D

Double yuck!!!!

I found a charity shop in town that had books for 50c each today.  And they had The Girl with the dragon tattoo    so I snapped it up, and a few others as well.

What a bargain, great book .....hope you enjoy it  :smile:

I loved Dandelion and Burdock 'fizzy pop' (now that is another old-time term :giggle: ) when I was a child. Tried some a few weeks ago - argh! it was vile! :giggle2:

I loved Dandelion & Burdock & i love the taste of Root Beer as well, i think it's that slightly medicinal taste that i find appealing  :D

I finished The Line Of Beauty  Alan Hollinghurst over the weekend & Uncle Silas  H.E Bates for the counties challenge. I wanted a short book just to finish off the month so i've started one of the books i got for Christmas Cousin Phillis  Elizabeth Gaskell.

Misery is absolutely brilliant book, one of my favourites. So is the film, Kathy Bates plays the role of Annie Wilkes perfectly like it was made for her, she fully deserved her Oscar for it!!

Hope you enjoy it!!!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it!

Read 230 out of 770 pages of The Goldfinch - it's great!  :smile:

Downloaded free e-book: Letters of Two Brides by Honore De Balzac (mentioned in Deb's Epistolary novels thread by frankie) 

A week in and I'm still not half way through The Rook.  I know I've only had my lunch breaks and the odd little snippets of time to read, but I counted it up, and it comes to six hours of reading, and still less than 200 pages read.  It must be really tiny print in the paperback edition, that's all I can think of!  On the plus side - I'm really enjoying it.  Lots going on, and not sure how it'll come out in the end, but at the moment, I'm wondering if one of the story lines could have been moved to another book, but I suspect it will become more important and relevant by the end. :D

I've finished City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare and I've started Harry Putter and the Chamber of Cheesecakes by Timothy R. O Donnell. I'm not too sure about it though as its a book that parody's the Harry Potter series.

I've never heard of this one, but I have read a couple of the 'Barry Trotter' parodies, which were fairly awful. :lol:

I've started another book by William Lashner, a brand new one.  The Barkeep.  Amazon had a kindle offer......free!  I believe it hasn't even officially come out yet, but they offered it free, naturally I got it!  Yikes.  I'm about 27% through and it's coming together beautifully! 

They didn't even ask me for a review, so I don't know what's going on. Thass ok with me! :D

I finished 'Look Who It is!' by Alan Carr last night and on the whole, found this very disappointing. Now I have started 'Finn Family Moomintroll' by Tove Jansson. I know I am far too old to be reading this, but I was randomly talking about the Moomin tv show with a friend of mine and she told me that it originated from books. So she bought me this for my birthday :smile: . It's very cute so far.

I'm reading The book thief by Zusak!

How are you liking it so far? :)

I found a charity shop in town that had books for 50c each today.  And they had The Girl with the dragon tattoo so I snapped it up, and a few others as well.

Absolute bargain, wow! I hope you will enjoy the book :)

Dying to know what you think of it 

That makes two of us :D I have to admit, I was having problems with the novel from pages 50 to 90 or so, I thought I wasn't enjoying it all very much, and I honestly thought about putting the book down. For good. But I kept going and I'm now finding that it's growing on me :D I hope this feeling continues, and I won't later be tempted to stop reading it.

I look forward to seeing what you make of the book, too, and how people generally liked this! :) See you in a few days :D

Read 230 out of 770 pages of The Goldfinch - it's great! 

Downloaded free e-book: Letters of Two Brides by Honore De Balzac (mentioned in Deb's Epistolary novels thread by frankie)

I'm happy to hear you're liking The Goldfinch! :) You have to let us know how you like the Honore de Balzac book, when you get to it. He's always intimidated me :hide:

I finished 'Look Who It is!' by Alan Carr last night and on the whole, found this very disappointing. Now I have started 'Finn Family Moomintroll' by Tove Jansson. I know I am far too old to be reading this, but I was randomly talking about the Moomin tv show with a friend of mine and she told me that it originated from books. So she bought me this for my birthday . It's very cute so far.

Ah yes, the Moomins. A few of us talked about the books a month or two ago, there were some mixed feelings about the books and the series. I've never liked the TV series and therefore have never wanted to read the books, but I guess I must. I think the Japanese ruined the whole thing :giggle: Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday! :smile2:

I'm currently on page 164 of The Line of Beauty. I should be able to finish it just in time for the Feb RC!

I've started reading The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett. I wasn't entirely sure at the start but it's definitely reeling me in. I'm 65 pages in. It's much darker than I expected!!

I really should get around to re-reading that one, so I can finally get the second and third books off my TBR pile.

I'm currently about two thirds of the way through The House of the Vestals by Steven Saylor.

How are you liking it so far? :)

Absolute bargain, wow! I hope you will enjoy the book :)

That makes two of us :D I have to admit, I was having problems with the novel from pages 50 to 90 or so, I thought I wasn't enjoying it all very much, and I honestly thought about putting the book down. For good. But I kept going and I'm now finding that it's growing on me :D I hope this feeling continues, and I won't later be tempted to stop reading it.

I look forward to seeing what you make of the book, too, and how people generally liked this! :) See you in a few days :D

Ah yes, the Moomins. A few of us talked about the books a month or two ago, there were some mixed feelings about the books and the series. I've never liked the TV series and therefore have never wanted to read the books, but I guess I must. I think the Japanese ruined the whole thing :giggle: Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday! :smile2:

I actually liked 'The Moomins' tv programme because of the style it was animated in, even though I'm not a fan of Japanese animation in general. I think I liked it because it was quirky. I'm interested to see how the books differ.

Edited by karen.d

I've started reading The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett. I wasn't entirely sure at the start but it's definitely reeling me in. I'm 65 pages in. It's much darker than I expected!!

x

That's great to hear! I love The Painted Man and The Desert Spear, I hope to be starting the third book, The Daylight War, soon. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the book :).

I've finished reading Penny Vincenzi - Windfall and am a bit of a loss what to read. I have several books picked out but I'm not sure my mojo's feeling it yet :shrug:. I might take a little break or something.

Yes i had mixed feelings about it at different points in the story as well  :giggle2:

I've finished Harry Putter and the Chamber of Cheesecakes and I've started Room by Emma Donoghue.

Room was a book i really enjoyed  :smile:

I've only about 40 pages left to go in Cousin Phillis, i can't decide what to go for next though, a nice long novel to sink my teeth into or a another short read to get my TBR pile down  :smile:

I finished 'Look Who It is!' by Alan Carr last night and on the whole, found this very disappointing. Now I have started 'Finn Family Moomintroll' by Tove Jansson. I know I am far too old to be reading this, but I was randomly talking about the Moomin tv show with a friend of mine and she told me that it originated from books. So she bought me this for my birthday :smile: . It's very cute so far.

Shucks, I only started reading Tove Jansson's Moomin series In my mid-40s, and I love them :smile: ! I love the illustrations too.