Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

Have you read any of Barbara Kingsolver's YA?  Try The Bean Trees or Animal Dreams... it's geared to a High School audience, not about the end of the world, quick reads and no cheesy romance lol

I've never even heard of her, I'll check her out! Thanks for the recommendation :)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be fine for those ages. There is a little bit of violence in it, but it's mostly implied and nothing too terrible (although there are some killings, but again, they're not graphic at all). Although it wasn't written as a children's book it has been published by Puffin. :)

Thanks I don't think the violence would be a problem for my youngest he likes a bit of action  :smile:

I'm really enjoying The Secret History, I'm 60% in now and trying to pick it up whenever I have some time.. :)

Good to hear look forward to hearing your thoughts on it  :smile:

250 pages into Bernard Cornwell's Sword Song  :smile:

I'll be interested to hear what you make of this as it's one of the few of his i don't have.....yet  ;)

Still reading The Line Of Beauty, i'm 200 pages into it but will save my thoughts on it for the reading circle.

Not sure where to post this but for anyone who's interested in Anthony Trollope there's a programme about his life on Radio 4 at 11.30am this Thursday & then on Sunday at 3.00pm there is a dramatisation of The Warden, the first novel in The Barchester Chronicles. 

I've just finished the book and I really enjoyed it - a rollicking read! :D I had a look at the trailer of the Sky production on You Tube and was surprised to see that John is clearly in his early 20s - he's about 14 or 15 in the book!

I read this a couple of years ago and thought it was really good. :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed Moonfleet. I have it on my TBR pile and you're the first person I know who has read it. :)

I'm really enjoying The Secret History, I'm 60% in now and trying to pick it up whenever I have some time.. :)

Yay! So glad you're enjoying it. I still have to post my thoughts on the reading circle thread.

I read a few chapters of Beyond the Great Indoors today. I'm over halfway through it now.

I finished 'Let The Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Phew, what a read! Dark, menacing meandering and thought infecting. *gulp*

Going for something less brain slapping now with 'My Fat Mad Teenage Diary'. Much lighter stuff! :D

I finished 'Let The Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist. Phew, what a read! Dark, menacing meandering and thought infecting. *gulp*

Going for something less brain slapping now with 'My Fat Mad Teenage Diary'. Much lighter stuff! :D

One of my favourite books, loved it.

All excited cause I found out Stephen King's Mile 81 goes with, or has a sequel written by King and Joe Hill!  It's called In the Tall Grass.  Anyone read either?  They are both Kindle Singles, 80 and 60 pgs respectively.  I've been waiting to read Mile 81 now I have the Joe hill/ King team to look forward too!

Finished Kilvert's Diary .... on the whole enjoyable but perhaps a little too detailed in some places and not enough in others :confused: Started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and boom .. straight away I'm hooked :) Also reading (as am a little fed up of tomes and wanted something to gobble up quickly) Mrs Bridge by Evan S. Connell and I'm enjoying that too  :smile:   

I'm currently reading 'People of the book's by Geraldine Brooks.

It seems interesting. I think I'm starting to weave the dream of becoming a book conservator. Which will probably fade away as soon as pick up another book where the lead character is a ghost hunter, then I'd dream of becoming that when I grow up.

Finished The Memory Of Midnight by Pamela Hartshorne this morning and started The Pesthouse by Jim Crace this afternoon. Also borrowed Ghost Moth by Michelle Forbes from t'library.

All excited cause I found out Stephen King's Mile 81 goes with, or has a sequel written by King and Joe Hill!  It's called In the Tall Grass.  Anyone read either?  They are both Kindle Singles, 80 and 60 pgs respectively.  I've been waiting to read Mile 81 now I have the Joe hill/ King team to look forward too!

I havent read them but there on my list to read.

I finished The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain. Really enjoyed it, and I must read more of her books.

x

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Lost Daughter :)

Well, finished The Secret History finally! :)

x

Nice :)!

I finished reading Iain M. Banks - Against a Dark Background (review to follow shortly) and started reading Penny Vincenzi - Windfall.