Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

I thought Dark Matter was really good, although I found it unsettling rather than scary.  Hope you enjoy it, Claire  :smile:

730 pages into Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell . . .  

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for my current reading, I started Unwind by Neal Shusterman last night - and I am absolutely loving it, so I am hoping - HOPING - it just continues being as good.

Unwind sounds disturbing, so I have added it to my wishlist. :D

Yep, a nice surprise! :) A few of us talked about the book a few years ago... Possibly when I'd written a review on the book. Harris has written another novel, Gillespie & I, and I think someone on here was going to read it... Let me know if you're planning on reading that, too :)

I'm definitely planning on reading Gillespie and I at some point. I'm about 95% through The Observations....I thought I'd finish it this morning but I had to leave for work. :sarcastic:  I did a search on here for posts about the book but couldn't find anything. I'll do another search, probably using the authors name, instead of 'observations'.

I’m trying not to buy books this year, so I’ve requested a few new books from the library instead.  The trouble is that I don’t seem to be able to control the requesting at the library either!

At the end of this afternoon I have:

Goldfinch - Donna Tartt

Position: 7 in a queue of 28

Love, Nina: despatches from family life - Nina Stibbe

Position: 11 in a queue of 16

Shock of the fall - Nathan Filer

Position: 3 in a queue of 3

Longbourn - Jo Baker

Position: 8 in a queue of 8

Library of unrequited love - Sophie Divy

Position: 2 in a queue of 2

Let’s hope that they come a reasonable timing. Chances of that happening are : slim chance or fat chance

It was, wasn't it? :smile2: (And I think it's on my recommends list? Cross that one off, you can :D)

I am still going off your older list at the moment and it doesn't appear to be on there. Did you add it to the new list?

I know, them evil maniacs! They could've at least sent a postcard, saying where they were... I would've been more forgiving to mine if I'd known he was hanging out with yours...! :D

Yes, they should have asked permission AND sent a postcard!

Oh dear, now I can't sit still! I really really hope you like the book!! :hide:  :giggle:

I've only read about 10 pages but I like it so far. I think I'm going to enjoy it very much. :)

Yesterday I finished The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst for the February RC.  :)  I haven't seen any mention of anyone else reading it though so I hope I won't be discussing it with only myself!   noes.gif

I've just started Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner which I downloaded recently after seeing a poster advertising a new Ray Winstone TV production of it... only to discover it's already been broadcast, and was on Sky, which we don't have.  :rolleyes:

Yesterday I finished The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst for the February RC.  :)  I haven't seen any mention of anyone else reading it though so I hope I won't be discussing it with only myself!   noes.gif

I have had this on Mount TBR for a few years, since I got it in a charity shop because I liked the cover/title! I might dig it out and give it a read at last :)

:

It's next on my pile after my current read, so at least we can natter to each other :D

I'm currently struggling with An Awfully Big Adventure. I'm on page 70 and struggling to see the actual point. It was selected for the English Counties Challenge (so I'm refusing to abandon) so I assume someone must have read it - can you assure me it gets better?!

It would be good if you could, but I think I read that you're planning on concentrating on YA books for the time being, so please don't feel pressured.  :)

I am but I could always give it a go and see how I get on, if I'm not really feeling it I can always put it down again :)

It's next on my pile after my current read, so at least we can natter to each other :D

I'm currently struggling with An Awfully Big Adventure. I'm on page 70 and struggling to see the actual point. It was selected for the English Counties Challenge (so I'm refusing to abandon) so I assume someone must have read it - can you assure me it gets better?!

I've read it - a few years ago now.  I've just read back through my review and I mentioned that it was slow to start but improved towards the end, although it was by no means a favourite!  Thankfully it's not long though, so keep going - you can do it!  :giggle:

I am but I could always give it a go and see how I get on, if I'm not really feeling it I can always put it down again :)

Yes, that's true.  Here's hoping you enjoy it.  :)

Just finished reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Stayed up all night reading it because I had to get to the end.

Ab. So. Lutely. Brilliant. Just. My god. Stories like The Hunger Games explode internationally, even The Maze Runner culls out a defiant niche among dystopian fans, and then books like UnWind - a dystopian novel posing sociological questions so much darker because they're so much closer to home, and so much better written than either of the aforementioned (and I LOVE The Maze Runner!) - go utterly under most radars. Baffling. Anyway.

I will write a full review tomorrow (later today?!) but right now I need sleep.

I've just started Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner which I downloaded recently after seeing a poster advertising a new Ray Winstone TV production of it... only to discover it's already been broadcast, and was on Sky, which we don't have.  :rolleyes:

I recorded that over Christmas, and finally got to watch the first episode last night - it wasn't very good, you didn't miss much, Janet  :smile:

Just finished reading 'On Chesil Beach' by Ian McEwan. This is a beautifully written and intriguing book. Now for something a bit lighter, I'm just about to start 'Look who it is' by Alan Carr

I've just finished reading A Maze of Death, and am about to start Flow, My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

I'm 29% through The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling), and 54% through Out of Time, Five Tales of Time Travel by various.

Nice being able to switch back and forth on the Kindle so easily. :)

I finished Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck earlier this week.  I wish I'd tried his books earlier, he's a brilliant writer.

Just found out my library has finally got the first three Jo Nesbo books after having the later ones for a while.  So I've requested Cockroaches.  I'm 11th in line, so hopefully won't take too long to get.

I got some money for my birthday and yesterday found some Ian Rankin books for $5 each.  I've never seen brand new books that cheap before. Earlier in the day I'd been looking in a second hand book shop and they wanted $9 for them!!  I snapped up four of them that I didn't have.  Just wish there'd been more of them available.

I recorded that over Christmas, and finally got to watch the first episode last night - it wasn't very good, you didn't miss much, Janet  :smile:

That's good to know, thanks. :)  I'm actually enjoying the book - I'm about a third of the way through it. 

Returned my Amazon Fire for a Samsung 10" which is awesome- so far.  Anyway, started Abarat by Clive Barker.  It's brilliant of course, like he always is.  Never disappoints.  I think of his art a lot when reading- since he lives in So. California, he comes north on book tours often.  He paints on 20 feet canvases.

25% finished with Abarat.

I read More Than This by Patrick Ness (started it last night, finished it this morning after waking up inexplicably at 5am after only 4 hours sleep). Nyeh. I read it to the end, and I guess I'm glad I did because it allows my opinion of 'nyeh' to be founded rather than based on an incomplete experience of the book. I'll go attempt to collect my (probably spoilery) thoughts in my reading thread,

Marie and bookmonkey, I hope you enjoy your books (when they're there) :).

I've started to read Sophie Kinsella - The Undomestic Goddess, it's great so far. While I was away from the forums, I've started and finished Sara Nelson - So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading. I'll be writing a review later.