Your Book Activity - January 2014

Kylie

Finished my audio of Jennifer Saunders reading her biography Bonkers ... need to work out what to download next .. possibly will go with Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. Getting on well with On the Black Hill by Bruce Chatwin .. very evocative writing.

Also listened to a play this afternoon called Spoonface Steinberg (by Lee Hall) ... absolutely astonishing performance by the narrator, eleven year old Becky Simpson. It's a story about a seven year old autistic girl who is terminally ill. I've not heard it before but it was first performed in 1997 and such was the audience reaction to it that BBC Radio 4 repeated it the following week. It's available on iPlayer for a while .. I'll put a link in .. well worth listening to if you have 60 mins to spare.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to try and spend more time reading The Secret History. I'm only managing about 10 pages a night as I keep falling asleep! :D

I don't know if this will help but .. at that rate .. it'll take you two months :D:empathy: 

To be honest I don't know. I've not read enough to get an idea as to whether I'll like it or not. I am very tired at the moment so when I go to bed I'm ready to sleep.

I'm going to try and read some of it before I go to bed and/or tomorrow when kids are at school and dogs are walked. :)

Chalie, I hope you have more time to read the book in the next few days!! :)

I'm very impressed with The Observations by Jane Harris. Anyone read this one? I really should have read it earlier, instead of letting it sit on my Kindle for nearly 4 years!

I read it some years ago and really liked it :) Although I can't remember all that much about it now... But I was impressed by it, yep :) I hadn't expected a lot from it.

Yes .. brilliant characters. That bit about them changing underpants when they were at the cabin .. I thought I would die :D Thanks frankie :hug: 

:lol: Priceless! And rather gross... :lol:

Still reading Vaudeville! and enjoying it :)

Coming up on halfway through The Fifth Wave now. It's got a few more threads, and as they're all first person it's taking me a while to adjust to each and keep up with everything that's going on. So it's dipping a little, but it's still largely backstory so far, with a little progression - and I'm still curious to see where it goes.

Nice titles, muggle.  Glomming on Elmore I see.  :D

I have 3 E-books on hold at the library that I am waiting for and in the meantime am reading a lot of Elmore Leonard. Most of Elmore Leonard's books are available at our library and I simply download one whenever I am ready (and waiting for another) and read him. I was just notified that the David Baldacci book "King And Maxwell' is ready for me to download from the library just as I finished the Western I was reading. :)

I have 3 E-books on hold at the library that I am waiting for and in the meantime am reading a lot of Elmore Leonard. Most of Elmore Leonard's books are available at our library and I simply download one whenever I am ready (and waiting for another) and read him. I was just notified that the David Baldacci book "King And Maxwell' is ready for me to download from the library just as I finished the Western I was reading. :)

Good timing. :)

I just realized it's been about 5 years since I've read any of James Lee Burke.  That is another series I really want to get back to.  Hopefully next month.

I've just finished Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety...review on my thread.  It's a 5 star. :D

Edited by pontalba

Just completed a re read of Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices trilogy. I fancied a bit of Victorian Shadowhunter action! I have been reading Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I have had this book for ages, and even started it at some point yet for no real reason didn't complete it. I think darkly disturbing is a good description for it. I keep finding myself reading it at night - I will have to stop that. :D

Edited by Chrissy

I have been reading Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I have had this book for ages, and even started it at some point yet for no real reason didn't complete it. I think darkly disturbing is a good description for it. I keep finding myself reading it at night - I will have to stop that. :D

Ooh, I've been thinking of reading that for ages.  I've seen both movie versions.  The original Swedish version was vastly superior to the remake, I thought :smile:

I'm currently 397 pages into Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.  I started it on Saturday, so that's quite fast going for me  :smile:

That's with Prime?  How many times a month can you borrow a book and if you download them, can you keep them?

I'm currently 397 pages into Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.  I started it on Saturday, so that's quite fast going for me  :smile:

Fantastic book! If it wasn't so vast, I'd read it again, but it's very very good.

I'm struggling a bit with The 5th Wave. I have some issues with it, and succumbed to the temptation of checking out reviews - anyone who didn't give it 5 stars and a rave review seems to have been underwhelmed/disappointed, and had the same issues I do with it. Still, I'll try and press on as it would be a shame to give up on my first book of the year, but I think I'll start another book alongside it.

That's with Prime?  How many times a month can you borrow a book and if you download them, can you keep them?

No, not Prime. I should have been more specific. I meant the public library in our city. I just went and did a count. I downloaded for free 60 books in 2013 from the public library in our city.

Last night I downloaded the King And Maxwell book by David Baldacci from our library.

I strongly recommend, especially for those living in the U.S., that they check out the public libraries as there is a treasure of books containing most all the best sellers, and they are free. Sometimes you may have to wait a month for a specific book but in the meantime you can download and read one that is available. And, if the library doe not have a particular book, you can recommend that they purchase it.

From what I see of most BCF members, the library is vastly under utilized for e-books. :cry:

Edited by muggle not

So I hardly dare ask .. but as you're speeding on with it, it looks encouraging so I will. How's it going? :hide:  :D 

I read it some years ago and really liked it :) Although I can't remember all that much about it now... But I was impressed by it, yep :) I hadn't expected a lot from it.

I'm just over the halfway point, and I'm really enjoying it. I wasn't expecting too much from it either so it's a very nice surprise. :smile:

No, not Prime. I should have been more specific. I meant the public library in our city. I just went and did a count. I downloaded for free 60 books in 2013 from the public library in our city.

From what I see of most BCF members, the library is vastly under utilized for e-books. :cry:

Is that an app?  (I'm still learning about apps- it is two p's right? j/k)

I finished reading Ubik by Philip K. Dick today, and will be starting A Maze Of Death tomorrow. This leaves me 2 novels and 4 collections to read.

Have decided I'm going to embark on a second little challenge - read 20 books by Michael Morpurgo! The Butterfly Lion is one of my favourite books of all time, and I remember also adoring The Dancing Bear as a child. I have several of his books lying around already, so I'll start with those, and work my way up to 20! Been meaning to read more of his books for quite some time - and as they're relatively short I figure they'll be good for easing me back into regular reading. :)

Is that an app?  (I'm still learning about apps- it is two p's right? j/k)

This is a library that should be located near you in Napa County. Just join the library and get a library card then you will be able to visit their website and download, free of charge, any e-book that they have. Access the following site, and under catalogs click on e-books. Then do a search for any author or book and either download or put a "hold" on the book.

http://www.countyofnapa.org/library/

This is a library that should be located near you in Napa County. Just join the library and get a library card then you will be able to visit their website and download, free of charge, any e-book that they have. Access the following site, and under catalogs click on e-books. Then do a search for any author or book and either download or put a "hold" on the book.

http://www.countyofnapa.org/library/

LOVE you! Thanks so much!