Frankie reads 2014

frankie

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That could well be! I don't know either. It doesn't! But I find it hard to explain how I would pronounce it. Is it a big city? Are you not worried about the noise, being close to a shopping centre? What time do the shops close in Finland? In the UK they are open longer than in the Netherlands.

EDIT: If it's too many questions, feel free to not answer them :blush2:.

Edited by Athena

Is it a big city? Are you not worried about the noise, being close to a shopping centre? What time do the shops close in Finland? In the UK they are open longer than in the Netherlands.

EDIT: If it's too many questions, feel free to not answer them :blush2:.

It's the second biggest city in Finland, but I suppose that doesn't say much if one doesn't know about Finland :blush: There are 262 140 inhabitants according to wiki. To me that's big. I'm from a small town of 10.000 people and now live in the twelfth biggest city (by population), with 74 345 people (Although at least 10.000 of those are from other places that used to be separate towns but have now been made into 'Joensuu suburbs'). 

I'm not worried about the noise. :) Friend has told me it's a quiet living neighborhood. I think I'm rather excited about living in a really big city for a change, knowing that no one will know me. I like the anonymity (although I think it might bring me down at some point, too... But not yet :D) of a big city. 

Shops close at 9 PM in the week, usually... It depends on the shop. My nearby grocerystore stays open till 11 PM. 

Some people have just been to my apartment! :D The student housing firm have already offered this place to some young student and his Mom called me today to ask if she could come in and look at the apartment. I was able to sell them my old washing machine which is old but very good and dependable. I won't be taking it with me. And I'm also letting the guy have my armchair if he wants. I'm going to pack very lightly.... 

Edited by frankie

That is a big city! I live in a city with 80000+ people. Eindhoven has around that same amount of people too, though that's one of our smaller cities :).

It's amazing the shop stays open so late, you can just pop out and buy something to eat.

Exciting that there've been some people to your apartment! Will you buy a new washing machine or how will you wash your clothes? Good luck with packing :). I hope you can figure out what to do with all of your books, at the very least your favourite ones!

That is a big city! I live in a city with 80000+ people. Eindhoven has around that same amount of people too, though that's one of our smaller cities :).

It'll be exciting also in that respect that there are more Finnish Swedish people living there so I'm going to be hearing a lot of Swedish, the second official language of Finland, too! I'm from the part of Finland where there are hardly any.

Exciting that there've been some people to your apartment! Will you buy a new washing machine or how will you wash your clothes? Good luck with packing :). I hope you can figure out what to do with all of your books, at the very least your favourite ones!

The apartment I'm moving into has already a washing machine so I thought there's no use hauling my old one with me. There's also a dishwasher which will be such luxury, and a sauna...!!! :exc: And a sofa and an armchair...

I'm definitely going to take all my most favored and loved and 'want to read' books with me, I'm not leaving them behind! I might leave some random, spur of the moment purchaces behind, though.

It'll be exciting also in that respect that there are more Finnish Swedish people living there so I'm going to be hearing a lot of Swedish, the second official language of Finland, too! I'm from the part of Finland where there are hardly any.

The apartment I'm moving into has already a washing machine so I thought there's no use hauling my old one with me. There's also a dishwasher which will be such luxury, and a sauna...!!! :exc: And a sofa and an armchair...

I'm definitely going to take all my most favored and loved and 'want to read' books with me, I'm not leaving them behind! I might leave some random, spur of the moment purchaces behind, though.

That is very exciting! I guess you don't get to speak much Swedish usually, with no Finnish Swedish people living there? I know a few words because an old friend lives there.

A dishwasher and a sauna! That's great :D. What is the layout of the apartment like, is there one bedroom for you and one for your flatmate?

That sounds like a wise idea :). And since you're close to the library you could always easily borrow more books if they have the ones you left behind :).

I'm very happy for you :friends3:.

Edited by Athena

Ahh, just getting to this thread!  Congratulations, frankie!!  It sounds like a great move with lots of opportunities.  I'm so happy for you!  :friends3:  :002:

Thank you! I'm giddy as a kid on Christmas Eve :wub: This will be good for me. Oh, and I think I already have someone I could hang out with in Espoo! I don't know anyone there so I thought it might be a bit lonely because I'm not one to make friends or pals very easily or quickly, and I think southern Finns are people I personally don't find easily approachable... But then I remembered that my friend has said that her husband's brother lives in the building next to mine. And when I was thinking about it more yesterday, I remember that I've met him a few times and he seemed nice. I told my friend about this and she said that he will probably be delighted to have some company, he would probably like showing me around the neighborhood and stuff. 

Anyway, at least I feel a lot safer knowing there's someone I know in the next building. It's a big city and I'm not used to big cities, so it's good to know there's someone I can go to if I have problems of any kind :)

Edit: I just noticed that the kitty emoticon seems actually rather upset about my moving :D 

That is very exciting! I guess you don't get to speak much Swedish usually, with no Finnish Swedish people living there? I know a few words because an old friend lives there.

I don't get to speak any Swedish so my Swedish skills are really rusty these days! Actually, the first person I contacted regarding finding a flatmate was a Swedish girl moving to Finland to study, and I decided I would write the e-mail to her in Swedish and I had to use the dictionary quite a few times. :D

A dishwasher and a sauna! That's great. What is the layout of the apartment like, is there one bedroom for you and one for your flatmate?

There are two bedrooms so one for each. Here's the layout:

post-4458-0-40821500-1406896944_thumb.jpg

OH = livingroom (or perhaps a weird shaped, big ass other half? :D)

MH = bedroom 

S = sauna

PH = shower

WC = toilet

ET = vestibule

K = kitchen

PARVEKE = balcony 

That sounds like a wise idea. And since you're close to the library you could always easily borrow more books if they have the ones you left behind.

I've actually just learned that they have two beds there and now I can leave my bed behind, I don't have to haul it with me! Also, they have a bookcase, so I don't have to haul any bookcases either, so I'm really happy!! :D I'm at the point where I've realized that I don't actually have to haul any of my furniture with me, which is going to save so much space. And therefore I'm thinking maybe I could and should now haul all my books there :D:exc:

It's nice you've found a potential friend already :)!

Wow, amazing of you to email in Swedish. It'll be a very educational experience :).

That's a great layout! Thanks for posting that picture :). And it's nice there is already so much furniture so you don't have to take it all with you. I hope you can haul all your books there, that would be amazing :exc:!

So far this move is shaping up to be very positive for you. I'm happy for you :friends3:.

It's nice you've found a potential friend already :)!

I just have to remember not to walk around naked in the apartment, my friend told me that her BIL can see into the kitchen from his place :D

Wow, amazing of you to email in Swedish. It'll be a very educational experience :).

It's good, because I might have to deal with Finnish Swedish patrons at the library or wherever I end up working, and it's always a plus to know Swedish in the south. The employers like that. And the Finnish Swedish people :D

That's a great layout! Thanks for posting that picture :). And it's nice there is already so much furniture so you don't have to take it all with you. I hope you can haul all your books there, that would be amazing :exc:!

A friend of mine is going to Helsinki in a few weeks and she said if I need a ride, I could go with them. I now wonder if they would allow me to take some boxes of books with me in advance... That would help!

So far this move is shaping up to be very positive for you. I'm happy for you :friends3:.

It's going so easy that I'm actually starting to worry that something's going to go terribly wrong. Or that I have forgot about something completely relevant and can't move in the end. It's making me paranoid :D I guess it's only a natural reaction.

Edit: Oh and there's also a crosstrainer, so bye bye thunder thighs! Hello, buns of steel! :cool: 

:lol: 

Edited by frankie

It's going so easy that I'm actually starting to worry that something's going to go terribly wrong. Or that I have forgot about something completely relevant and can't move in the end. It's making me paranoid :D I guess it's only a natural reaction.

I have this a lot too! I hope it's just a natural reaction and that nothing will go wrong :).

Your new place looks awesome Frankie. When looking at the plan I imagined where I would put bookshelves if it were me. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

I have this a lot too! I hope it's just a natural reaction and that nothing will go wrong :).

I bet it's just natural. It's a big change for me. I've always lived within 130 kilometers from where I grew up, and now I'm moving many hundred kilometers south. I've live in Joensuu for 14 years  :10_confused:  And it's been a big change for you, too, moving in with your BF :) Eventhough we both want to move, it's still going to be a bit scary :) 

Your new place looks awesome Frankie. When looking at the plan I imagined where I would put bookshelves if it were me. :giggle2:

:D I think I want to have the bookcase in my bedroom. Well I guess that depends on what kind of a flatmate I end up living with. But for now I'm thinking I don't want no stranger poking at my precious books :lol: 

I bet it's just natural. It's a big change for me. I've always lived within 130 kilometers from where I grew up, and now I'm moving many hundred kilometers south. I've live in Joensuu for 14 years  :10_confused:  And it's been a big change for you, too, moving in with your BF :) Eventhough we both want to move, it's still going to be a bit scary :) 

:D I think I want to have the bookcase in my bedroom. Well I guess that depends on what kind of a flatmate I end up living with. But for now I'm thinking I don't want no stranger poking at my precious books :lol:

Yes :).

I would want the same I think :lol:.

More plans have been made re: the move. I'm going to go to see the apartment in two weeks, on a weekend. A Joensuu friend of mine is going to Helsinki with her husband and they've offered me a lift south and back! :) Very exciting! Two weeks to see the apartment and two weeks after that, I'll have moved in already. :exc: 

On a related note: I've been going through my wishlist. I used to have these little marks for books I could find at the Joensuu library. Now that I'll be moving, I deleted those marks. And I've started to go through the Espoo libraries (actually the website covers a few other cities, too, like Helsinki) and after only having gone through the first section of my wishlist, the YA books, there are a lot more copies of those wishlist books at the Espoo library than at the Joensuu library! :exc: I can go in and borrow a whole lot of wishlist books and I'll save a pretty penny when I don't have to buy them :smile2: 

And on top of that, there's a notice on the library's own website, saying they want people to apply for work practice at the library. They are practically gagging for new employees! That sounds very promising :exc: 

Frankie, all these things sound pretty amazing :exc:! It's great you're going to be moving into your new apartment so soon and that you can get a lift to see the apartment. Have you started packing things?

It's exciting that they have some of those books on your wishlist in the Espoo library :).

I hope you can work at the library, that would be so exciting. If you do, I'd love to hear about your experience :).

Exciting times ahead for you :):exc:.

Frankie, all these things sound pretty amazing :exc:! It's great you're going to be moving into your new apartment so soon and that you can get a lift to see the apartment. Have you started packing things?

No, not yet. I've always been one of those people who leave things til the very last minute :blush::giggle2: And I'm thinking, what could I pack now that I won't be needing this month? I can't think of anything :o

I have just put some pictures on my laptop from my camera and I thought I'd show you Tessu the dog :smile2:

post-4458-0-50382000-1407071676_thumb.jpg

From left to right: My Mom (who's always hated having her picture taken!), my big brother, Tessu and my uncle who passed away when I was ~5 years old, may he rest in peace. 

And the text in the book, just for my own safe keeping :)

post-4458-0-58040000-1407071952_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankie

Haven't been too chatty lately but have been lurking so I just thought I'd chime in with Congrats on the flat and the sauna (wow!) and isn't a dishwasher a total luxury?  Prolonged my marriage a few months :giggle2:

Anyway, you totally deserve it and I'm glad you are so happy.  Working for a library would be a cool job!

That's a great photo. Such a cute dog.

A very cute dog! :) And brings pride to the family :D

Great news about your move Frankie, well done and all the very best. 

Thanks Paula! :)

Haven't been too chatty lately but have been lurking so I just thought I'd chime in with Congrats on the flat and the sauna (wow!) and isn't a dishwasher a total luxury?  Prolonged my marriage a few months 

Anyway, you totally deserve it and I'm glad you are so happy.  Working for a library would be a cool job!

Thanks Anna! :) Dishwasher is a total luxury item, I think it's such luxury that I'll be afraid to use it, I'll only just stare at it in awe :D (Sorry about your marriage... But don't you think 'Marriage Prolonging Dishwasher' would make a great name for a band, or a book :D

I've had two rather crappy years behind me and I guess that's why I'm also partly wondering if this move is too easy, everything seems to go too well and things are looking up too much. I wonder if it's all going to backfire. But then I've now started to think, maybe it's my time to be finally happy about life again :) And that maybe I do deserve a bit of happiness :)

Frankie, I meant to ask you this. Have you ever worked in a library before? It's a job I'm thinking I might like if/when I feel up for that.

Yes I have worked in a library for two months, back in 2012 :) I don't suppose you knew this, only joining the forum in 2013? 

Edited by frankie

I've had two rather crappy years behind me and I guess that's why I'm also partly wondering if this move is too easy, everything seems to go too well and things are looking up too much. I wonder if it's all going to backfire. But then I've now started to think, maybe it's my time to be finally happy about life again :) And that maybe I do deserve a bit of happiness :)

Yes I have worked in a library for two months, back in 2012 :) I don't suppose you knew this, only joining the forum in 2013?

Wow, no I didn't know you had worked in a library :).

I'm sorry to hear about your two crappy years, though, I hope the next two will be a lot better :empathy:.