Ben's Book Bonanza, 2014.

Ben

Life sounds about right. :lol: In all seriousness, I'm still not sure.. debating doing a Masters but the cost puts me off - I guess it depends on whether I've got enough experience to be successful with job applications. *shrugs* But I'll definitely be doing a bit of life-enjoying in the meantime. ;)

x

In the Netherlands the government pays for some of it, the lecture money is not much more than when you're a bacherlor student. It is normal to do a master and barely anyone stops after their bachelor. Companies are keener to hire students with a master's degree and since that's most students I think it's hard to get a good job here with just a bachelor degree. It's interesting how different it is in different countries, in the US and UK getting a master's degree isn't something that happens as often, or so I've heard from my dad and other people. It's also a lot more expensive than here. I hope our system doesn't change, I like what we've got here.

Anyway, it's a tough choice to make for you, I hope you make one that you're comfortable with :).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

x

In the Netherlands the government pays for some of it, the lecture money is not much more than when you're a bacherlor student. It is normal to do a master and barely anyone stops after their bachelor. Companies are keener to hire students with a master's degree and since that's most students I think it's hard to get a good job here with just a bachelor degree. It's interesting how different it is in different countries, in the US and UK getting a master's degree isn't something that happens as often, or so I've heard from my dad and other people. It's also a lot more expensive than here. I hope our system doesn't change, I like what we've got here.

Anyway, it's a tough choice to make for you, I hope you make one that you're comfortable with :).

That sounds like a decent system to me. There's options available in terms of bursaries and loans but the cost is still going to end up extensive. It is less days, however, so if a part-time job was available to supplement my course then that would work out much better. I guess it just depends on how things go. 

You've heard correctly, a master's degree is much rarer than a bachelor's, but I've always considered it because if journalism doesn't work out I wouldn't mind staying in academia and going on to be a lecturer. I'd never thought about that path much before, but my personal tutor was discussing career potential with me and thought I'd make a good tutor if I went down that route.

Like you said, though, it's a tough choice and one that needs thinking about closely. Guess we'll see where things end up. ;)

Edited by Ben

x

That sounds like a BRILLIANT system. In the UK it's difficult to get funding: they only really give student loans for undergrad/bachelor degrees, bursaries rarely cover the full cost, and full scholarships are rare and the competition for them is very high. My Masters cost £4,000, which I had to borrow off my dad, and still owe him.

I hope they don't change your system either. :)

That sounds like a decent system to me. There's options available in terms of bursaries and loans but the cost is still going to end up extensive. It is less days, however, so if a part-time job was available to supplement my course then that would work out much better. I guess it just depends on how things go. 

You've heard correctly, a master's degree is much rarer than a bachelor's, but I've always considered it because if journalism doesn't work out I wouldn't mind staying in academia and going on to be a lecturer. I'd never thought about that path much before, but my personal tutor was discussing career potential with me and thought I'd make a good tutor if I went down that route.

Like you said, though, it's a tough choice and one that needs thinking about closely. Guess we'll see where things end up. ;)

You could definitely manage an MA on the side if you chose to do so (and if you got the finance sorted). I did mine at the same time as doing a full-time PGCE (which was really a mental thing to do), and only had to attend for 2 evenings a week, 6-8pm. The essays were more difficult than the ones on the BA, but you also have much more freedom with what you want to write them about.

As you say, it's a tough choice, but it's all about what's best for you and your future. It's great to have on your CV, but these days it's probably just as important as actual work experience and good references. I'm sure you'll make the right decision either way. :)

My MA was 9.30-5 five days a week with homework for the first two terms, and then became a bit more relaxed after Easter. :D prepared me well for the world of work - I stayed at home and commuted so had a much longer day than I do now! :D

Good luck with all your reading...how will you squeeze them all in, plus life! :giggle2:

One of life's great mysteries. :haha:

You could definitely manage an MA on the side if you chose to do so (and if you got the finance sorted). I did mine at the same time as doing a full-time PGCE (which was really a mental thing to do), and only had to attend for 2 evenings a week, 6-8pm. The essays were more difficult than the ones on the BA, but you also have much more freedom with what you want to write them about.

As you say, it's a tough choice, but it's all about what's best for you and your future. It's great to have on your CV, but these days it's probably just as important as actual work experience and good references. I'm sure you'll make the right decision either way. :)

That is impressive and sure sounds like a very hectic schedule to juggle! The standard of writing doesn't bother me, I imagine it'd just take some getting used to (kind of like the jump up to essay-writing at university but not as bad) and I'm already writing at a decent standard according to my lecturers and well, my grades. The freedom is something I've loved with my dissertation, though, so it would be great to expand somewhat more in future.

Exactly my decision really: juggling the value of the work experience v. what I'd get from my MA. I think a lot of it will depend on how well my search for jobs and experience goes between now(ish) and when I graduate. Either way, we'll see what happens.

My MA was 9.30-5 five days a week with homework for the first two terms, and then became a bit more relaxed after Easter. :D prepared me well for the world of work - I stayed at home and commuted so had a much longer day than I do now! :D

When I went to the meeting I got the impression it'd be less hours in actual university and more spent on researching and hunched over my laptop at home. I've always wanted to work from home more - and wish to in the future - so I imagine this type of scheduling would suit me perfectly. Hopefully, if I come away with good grades, I'll give myself viable options (wouldn't mind moving somewhere new in the country for a while!).

Depends which MA you do I suppose. Mine was a taught MA (journalism), my younger brother is currently doing a research MA and has very few contact hours and is supposed to spend his time hunched over a laptop, but I think he spends it hunched over his xbox ;)

Mine was technically a 'taught' course: we did two modules per semester, and had a two-hour seminar each week for each module. Maybe it's different for Literature. :shrug: It was handy, since I attended the PGCE 9-4 on a Monday and Tuesday, and did my teaching on the other days. The dissertation was great, too, I could pick whatever subject I wanted (as long as there was someone who could supervise it) and basically just spent six solid months working on that and nothing else.

I always wanted to work from home too, Ben, which is why I bunked off a huge proportion of my lectures on both the BA and MA.  ;) Plus I found the time better spent than in commuting all the way there,just to sit for an hour listening to a lecturer read stuff off a PowerPoint which they then emailed to everyone anyway! 

And there's always time for xbox, no matter how many courses you're studying or how busy you are. :lol:

(Sorry for sidetracking your reading thread, Ben! Hope you don't mind. It happens in mine all the time. :giggle2: )

Thanks Ben, the same to you! :)

Raymond E Feist was one of the first 'adult' fantasy authors I read (I think I was 17) and I started with the original Riftwar saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon). Magician is a great book, while the other two are not as good. Another one I'd recommend starting with is his Empire trilogy (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire) which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts. It's set kind of alongside the Riftwar saga, but in a different world (the world they're at war with in Magician), and there are several elements which cross over in a brilliant way. The Empire books are one of my favourite trilogies ever written. :)

I second laura's recommendations. I have read all but the last R.e.f. book (i'm reading the second last now). Empire trilogy is one of my all time favourites too.

Good to see you back, and best wishes for your study and reading in 2014. :)

Edited by Devi

Big Son  found that he was almost forced to do an Msc after his degree if he wanted to compete in the jobs he wanted....but he arranged it all himself and took out a loan and it has worked out fine for him. Now he has been working for eighteen months and I think he has paid off all his original degree loans and most of his Master's loan.  

Depends which MA you do I suppose. Mine was a taught MA (journalism), my younger brother is currently doing a research MA and has very few contact hours and is supposed to spend his time hunched over a laptop, but I think he spends it hunched over his xbox ;)

That makes sense. I'd have to decide whether I want to move into journalism specifically or tackle a more general literature MA (like I did for my BA) and leave more options open. I'll of course think about it carefully. As for your brother, that sounds about right. :lol:

Mine was technically a 'taught' course: we did two modules per semester, and had a two-hour seminar each week for each module. Maybe it's different for Literature. It was handy, since I attended the PGCE 9-4 on a Monday and Tuesday, and did my teaching on the other days. The dissertation was great, too, I could pick whatever subject I wanted (as long as there was someone who could supervise it) and basically just spent six solid months working on that and nothing else.

I always wanted to work from home too, Ben, which is why I bunked off a huge proportion of my lectures on both the BA and MA.  ;) Plus I found the time better spent than in commuting all the way there,just to sit for an hour listening to a lecturer read stuff off a PowerPoint which they then emailed to everyone anyway! 

And there's always time for xbox, no matter how many courses you're studying or how busy you are.

(Sorry for sidetracking your reading thread, Ben! Hope you don't mind. It happens in mine all the time. :giggle2: )

That sounds similar to what they said we'd be doing on a literature MA (but I won't lie, that was a while ago and I had other things to worry about). I'll obviously make sure I have better information before I make any decisions. :haha: I've loved the freedom of the dissertation even for my BA (despite finding myself ever so slightly behind *shifty eyes*), so more of the same would be great.

Yeah, I've missed quite a few lectures too (particularly during assignment deadline periods). I was always conscientious when it came to seminars as I needed other people to bounce my ideas off, but you're right - sometimes the time can be better spent if you're at home, compared to sitting for an hour in a lecture theatre. Only if you spend time doing the studying obviously. :giggle:

No apologies necessary for the side-tracking - tends to happen a lot on BCF in general. We're a talkative bunch! :typing:

I second laura's recommendations. I have read all but the last R.e.f. book (i'm reading the second last now). Empire trilogy is one of my all time favourites too.

Good to see you back, and best wishes for your study and reading in 2014.

Thanks Devi, good to 'see' you again. :friends0:

It looks like the RF books are scaling that TBR list by the minute! Again, thanks for the well wishes, I hope 2014 is wonderful for you. :smile2:

Big Son  found that he was almost forced to do an Msc after his degree if he wanted to compete in the jobs he wanted....but he arranged it all himself and took out a loan and it has worked out fine for him. Now he has been working for eighteen months and I think he has paid off all his original degree loans and most of his Master's loan.  

Interesting - it's refreshing to hear of the successes of people actually going out and managing to get a job and within a reasonable period of time, begin paying things back. Of course, it's not as easy for everyone, but fingers crossed that I just manage to land on my feet a little. I've always said that if I'm healthy and have enough to live on - with a few small comforts, like new books! :giggle: - that I'd be perfectly content with that.

post-4386-0-59660800-1388843537_thumb.jpg

Review

On 8 May 2013, one of the biggest names in football of the past two decades and a half, stepped down from his post. Sir Alex Ferguson, chewing one last final piece of trade-mark gum, bowed his last on the touch-line against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns. The Manchester United manager of the last twenty-six years, known for his fiery temper and constant presence in the English game, was never going to go out with a whimper. Breaking one last final record in a career that has brought so much success, the 5-5 result was the first ever in the history of the Premier League. A fitting send off, for a truly great manager.

As you would expect from a man who has been everywhere and done everything, My Autobiography is filled with wonderful little anecdotes on anything from his political preferences to his many rivalries with Chelsea and Arsenal bosses José Mourinho and Arsené Wenger, just to name a few. Readily admitting that he's had the privilege of managing some truly exceptional players, his discussions about players such as David Beckham - and that famous dressing room incident - crackle with life, and the enthusiasm he had for the game.

Just a young kid from Govan, Scotland, Ferguson talks warmly of his roots, his early playing days, and first managerial years at East Stirlingshire and St. Mirren. Never one to shy away from confrontation, this honest picture of his rich and varied life bristles with the confidence that is necessary to be a football manager. Speaking of stand-offs with Roy Keane, Beckham and Ruud van Nistelrooy, never once did he bow to the pressure of others: 'No player is bigger than the club'. On that he was immovable.

His fame has brought him into some powerful circles, as he talks of brushing shoulders with men in significant positions of power - Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, for instance. Yet, it is clear to see where his true warmth is extended: to his family. He talks endlessly and lovingly of his wife Cathy and her never-wavering support; of the 'family meeting' between her and their sons whilst he napped at Christmas. If it wasn't for that conversation, he would have already retired and missed so many new, wonderful memories.

At times, My Autobiography comes across as a little flat. There are no resounding revelations that have not already been widely discussed and the book's style at times is a little jarring. Still, his enthusiastic, nostalgic narrative voice is one which sweeps the reader into a footballing world that won't - for a long time at least - be the same without him. He confesses that he's had his disagreements; with players, managers, and the press. Yet, they're the things that define his extraordinary character.

This is an autobiography that offers no truly ground-breaking insights, but which gives a fascinating look at the world and the life that Sir Alex Ferguson has lived in. A must read for not just United fans, but football fans world-wide. As supporters of the Red Devils will likely be the first to admit, he was never really going to be an easy man to replace..

★★★☆☆

Edited by Ben

In other news, I'm currently reading Sue Townsend's The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year. I've never really bothered with her works before (have been meaning to get around to the Adrian Mole books) but this one jumped out at me and looked pretty interesting.

Synopsis

The day her twins leave home, Eva climbs into bed and stays there. For seventeen years she's wanted to yell at the world, 'Stop! I want to get off'. Finally, this is her chance.

Her husband Brian, an astronomer having an unsatisfactory affair, is upset. Who will cook his dinner? Eva, he complains, is attention seeking. But word of Eva's defiance spreads. Legions of fans, believing she is protesting, gather in the street.

While Alexander the white van man brings tea, toast and sympathy. And from this odd but comforting place Eva begins to see both herself and the world very, very differently...

~ ~ ~ 

So far, I'm not that sure. It has it's moments (I don't normally find myself laughing aloud during books it's happened a couple of times so far), but at times it's just a bit too ridiculous for my liking. I suppose it might depend on my mood. *shrugs*

I am, however, interested in finding out where it goes and whether we get any actual reasons for her doing it. It all just seems a little bizarre at the moment. I mean, I like strange, but I'm really not sure where this is heading..

Anyone else happened to have a read of this one yet?

Edited by Ben

Sue Townsend's The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year

Anyone else happened to have a read of this one yet?

Yes .. I read it a while back and I'm sad to say *look away now Ben* that it doesn't get any better .. in fact it gets even more ridiculous. Don't let that put you off of the Adrian Mole books though which are brilliant (or the early ones are anyway .. I'm not up to date.) You will definitely be laughing out loud with them :D

Yes .. I read it a while back and I'm sad to say *look away now Ben* that it doesn't get any better .. in fact it gets even more ridiculous. Don't let that put you off of the Adrian Mole books though which are brilliant (or the early ones are anyway .. I'm not up to date.) You will definitely be laughing out loud with them :D

*sigh* I thought this might be the case.. there just doesn't seem to be any direction with it at all. I'm not a fan of some of the characters, either. I mean, it's not bad by any means, but I might be just a case of reading it without expecting much.

Thanks for the comments - I'll definitely get around to reading them, I should imagine. :smile2:

Edited by Ben

I know its a book, but I can't help but think... how does she go to the bathroom? Or does she get up to do that? Or is that bit left out completely and she holds it for a year. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

What a shame it isn't living up to expectations. It sounds like an interesting premise too, bit like the film Falling Down. :shrug:

I know its a book, but I can't help but think... how does she go to the bathroom? Or does she get up to do that? Or is that bit left out completely and she holds it for a year. :giggle2:

Oh Devi. :giggle:

I had similar thoughts about Sir Alex's latest book, Ben. I thoroughly enjoyed Managing My Life earlier this year (in preparation for this) and it failed to reach the high standards of that one, because it felt like a series of disjointed notes rather than an autobiography. I did enjoy it though and also gave it 3 stars. :)

Without giving too much away (and I haven't finished it so this might change as it goes through) she devises a way of getting to the bathroom via sheets so it feels like she's not actually touching the floor.. you know what, I don't know why I even tried to explain that. :giggle:

What a shame it isn't living up to expectations. It sounds like an interesting premise too, bit like the film Falling Down. :shrug:

Precisely the reason I picked it up. Ah well, life would be boring if all the books were great. *shrugs*

I had similar thoughts about Sir Alex's latest book, Ben. I thoroughly enjoyed Managing My Life earlier this year (in preparation for this) and it failed to reach the high standards of that one, because it felt like a series of disjointed notes rather than an autobiography. I did enjoy it though and also gave it 3 stars. :)

I agree completely. I mean, you expect a bit of disjointedness from an autiobiography but you're right - it went off on a tangent way too much for my liking. I get the impression he (and the editor) struggled to thread together what must have been a wild, meandering series of interviews and notes. Never mind, will just be chalking this one up as 'not bad' - still glad I read it. :smile2:

Without giving too much away (and I haven't finished it so this might change as it goes through) she devises a way of getting to the bathroom via sheets so it feels like she's not actually touching the floor.. you know what, I don't know why I even tried to explain that. :giggle:

Thanks for explaining it though, I appreciate it :giggle:

Thanks for explaining it though, I appreciate it :giggle:

You're welcome. It's all very daft - that's probably one of the parts that makes the most sense! :lol:

post-4386-0-02043600-1389099925_thumb.jpg

Sue Townsend's The Women Who Went to Bed for a Year offers an intriguing and potentially hilarious concept. Unfortunately, for this reader, it just never quite delivers. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I just don't get it. Is it some philosophical consideration of life and what it all means? A social commentary on the potential ridiculousness of human nature? Or just the story of a woman who's not exactly in the right mind, and who decides to swap routine and family life, to lie in bed for a year?

Eva Beaver; mother, wife, friend. On the day her twins, Brianne and Brian Jnr up and leave home for university in Leeds, she decides to take to her bed, and not leave. Placing her trust in the quite frankly unreliable people around her, for food and drink, she withdraws in order to 'think'. She thinks about her husband, Brian, an astrologer who has been having an affair for eight years. She remembers songs and poetry from her school days and asks herself all manner of obscure questions.

Without warning, Eva becomes a cult figure; a newspaper article claiming her to be a 'saint' prompts people from thousands of miles to come confide in her and seek her advice. In a scene which typifies the outrageousness of the novel, we see Alexander - a man who loves Eva and wants to take care of her - smoking a cigarette and guarding the front door. He decides who Eva sees, and writes their names on a list. In a social-media heavy society, where news spreads like wildfire through Twitter, she has suddenly become a celebrity.

What I must say about Eva, is she is resolute in her decisions. She never asked for fame and in fact hates the attention; wanting instead to lay there undisturbed. It is arguable that the pressures and stresses she is put under - including a nurse and mother-in-law that both believe her to be mad - is the real reason that she starts to struggle with things. Instead of being talked to properly, she is ignored and mocked in equal measure.

The story has its tragic elements, no doubt, but it is difficult to invest in. Sure, in a broad sense, it's easy to see what Townsend was aiming for in her premise; it's just difficult to swallow it whole. For a start, the novel is overly ridiculous: it sacrifices any semblance of a sensible plot, for an attempt at laugh-out-loud humour, which it struggles to achieve. I struggled with the character dynamic; the living situation for one took the whole thing to a unbelievable level.

Sure, in a novel teeming with comedic scenes, it had it's moments. I found myself drawn to Alexander: helpful, loving, kind; seemingly the only 'normal' character in a cast that is full to the brim with a range of bizarre personalities. His conversation with Eva is light and enjoyable; their relationship more believable than the others'. Yet, he too struggles against the backdrop of silly sub-plots and ridiculous relationships, and I found myself losing interest in everything and everyone, as the novel progressed.

The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year is a light-hearted, easy read, which is useful for killing a few hours in front of the fire on a cold, January night - but for this reader, with so much potential and promise, it was ultimately unsatisfying at it's close.

★★

Great review Ben .. spot on :) I think I read it at much the same time of year and it was useful for that ... not being too taxing but then again I was taxed because I thought it was all too preposterous. Shame as she's very funny when on song.

Shame you didn't enjoy this book very much :(. Nice review :). I hope your next read will be more enjoyable.

Thank you Athena, here's hoping the next is more on song! :smile2:

Great review Ben .. spot on :) I think I read it at much the same time of year and it was useful for that ... not being too taxing but then again I was taxed because I thought it was all too preposterous. Shame as she's very funny when on song.

Thanks, Kay.

I'm almost certainly going to read the Adrian Mole books (or at least some of them) because she showed glimpses of humour and I'd be lying if I didn't laugh at least a few times. You're right, though: this was just a tiny bit too far and I couldn't grasp the plot properly because of all the overly-ridiculous attempts at humour.

Ah well, too many books left to worry about getting strung up on this one! :lol: