Steve's Bookshelf 2014

Karsa Orlong

# 60

Wolf Star (Tour of the Merrimack Book 2) by R. M. Meluch

post-6588-0-73425900-1410938750_thumb.jp

2006 - DAW paperback - 320 pages

From Goodreads:

The U.S. Merrimack was the finest battleship in Earth's fleet, able to withstand the best the Palatine Empire could throw at them. Only her sister ship, the Monitor, was her equal. So when the Palatine forces secretly captured Monitor, Merrimack's security was compromised-and that was just the opening salvo of a whole new stage of war between Palatine and Earth.

Thoughts:

This one's going to be almost impossible to review because I really, really, really don't want to give away the ending of the first book, The Myriad, as it is one of the best endings I've read in recent times, including one of the best twists I've ever read.  A real game-changing twist.  What Meluch has done here is present an alternate history within an alternate future within an alternate history, and she's done it in a way that makes sense, and it's absolutely brilliant.

When this story starts the Merrimack is deep in enemy territory trying to uncover a Roman secret that may or may not be their answer to the American 'shotgun', a facility capable of displacing a whole ship hundreds of light years across the galaxy.  Encountering enemy forces, Farragut and crew are horrified to find that the Romans are somehow able to infiltrate their systems and turn their own weapons against themselves.  Believing that they have a mole on board who is sending their codes to the other side, much tension ensues. 

I won't say anymore about the plot than that and, on the face of it, it probably doesn't seem all that special.  That's because I can't say what happened at the end of the previous book - if you have that knowledge then this story takes on whole new layers.  Meluch uses this set-up to fill in some aspects that she didn't dwell upon in The Myriad.  We learn more about the war with the Romans and just how the Hive were awakened.  We also learn more about the Hive itself, and how Farragut figured out how to deal with them.  It's a journey of discovery without using flashbacks, which is almost saying too much. 

This is such a frustrating review to write!  I can't allow my enjoyment of this book to come through without ruining the first book for anyone who be considering reading it.  So I'll just say that I enjoyed this one just as much as the first.  It's very clever in the way it plays with everything you learned in the first book.  Perhaps the biggest problem for it is that it doesn't - can't possibly - have another game-changing twist to match that of the first book.  Also, as a result of that previous twist, it is robbed of one of its best characters. 

To counter this Meluch ups the levels of action and intrigue and also has some secondary characters from the first book become major characters here.  Most impressive among these is Callie Carmel, Farragut's executive officer, who is front and centre for the first half of the book as she heads off on a perilous mission.  Everyone seems in awe of her beauty (sigh!) and yet she couldn't care less about her appearance - she's all about her intelligence and her bravery.  She quickly becomes a terrific character, one who had by-and-large been reduced to repeating Farragut's orders in the first novel.  She pretty much steals this book from under Farragut's nose, and had me living every moment with her, but then he comes back full-on in the second half.  I fully believed that his crew would walk through hell for him.

Nothing more I can say, really.  Apart from . . .

"Shut up, Dak."

:giggle2:

9/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, Steve! I'm glad you enjoyed the second book. I can imagine it's hard to write a review for a book, after the first book has such a plot twist at the end, I've been in similar situations. Will you be reading all of the books in the series?

• 2 weeks later...

# 61

Memories of Ice (Book 3 of The Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Memories_of_Ice_zpsca581ed8.jpg

post-6588-0-18469600-1411979936_thumb.jpg

2001 - Tor paperback - 913 pages

From Amazon:

The ravaged continent of Genabackis has given birth to a terrifying new empire: the Pannion Domin. Like a fanatical tide of corrupted blood, it seethes across the land, devouring all who fail to heed the Word of its elusive prophet, the Pannion Seer. In its path stands an uneasy alliance: Dujek Onearm's Host and the Bridgeburners ­ each now outlawed by the Empress ­ alongside their enemies of old including the grim forces of Warlord Caladan Brood, Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, and his Tiste Andii, and the Rhivi people of the Plains.

But more ancient clans too are gathering. As if in answer to some primal summons, the massed ranks of the undead T'lan Imass have risen. For it would seem something altogether darker and more malign threatens the very substance of this world. The Warrens are poisoned and rumours abound of the Crippled God, now unchained and intent on a terrible revenge...

Marking the return of many favourite characters from GARDENS OF THE MOON and introducing a host of remarkable new players, MEMORIES OF ICE is a thrilling new chapter in Erikson's magnificent epic fantasy and another triumph of storytelling.

Thoughts:

Hmm, where to start? :unsure:  :dunno:   :lol:

Okay, whereas Deadhouse Gates took us to the continent of Seven Cities and began the second major story thread(s) of the series, Memories of Ice returns us to Genabackis some eight weeks after the events of Gardens of the Moon and reintroduces many of the characters from that book.  Outlawed by Malazan Empress Laseen, Dujek Onearm and the Malaz 2nd Army have formed an alliance with Caladan Brood and Anomander Rake, their combined forces heading south to confront the onslaught of the Pannion Domin.  The focus of these converging armies is the city of Capustan, where a small mercenary force called the Grey Swords are all that stands against the new enemy.

To complicate matters, to aid his cause the Pannion Seer has brought forth undead 'demons' in the shape of the K'Chain Che'Malle, and a child by the name of Silverfox appears to have the key to the massed ranks of T'Lan Imass, undead warriors of bone and dust, who may just make the difference between the alliance's victory or defeat - if their eons-long war against the Jaghut does not get in the way.

Memories of Ice is viewed by many fans to be the best book of the series, and one of the best fantasy novels of all time.  I'm not quite of that view.  Although I still think it is a magnificent piece of fantasy fiction, I also think it is flawed.  I found reading through Deadhouse Gates for the third time was a revelatory joy but Memories of Ice . . .   Well, the first time I read the series I jumped straight into it immediately after finishing the previous book and I felt it suffered as a result because I simply ran out of steam reading two such complex and massive books in succession.  Brain went BOOM! :giggle2:   Second time I read it I enjoyed it more, but there were still issues for me which I put down to maybe not being in the right mood at the time.  Third read through, this time, and my misgivings have been amplified a bit, and now I can't help but feel that it is the book's fault and not mine.

Forgetting the Mhybe, who is one of the most unsympathetic, irritating and boring characters in the whole series, and gets a lot of page time in this book (although not as much as I thought from previous reads, and therefore wasn't as much of an issue as I was dreading), the biggest problem I have with this book is that it steadily gathers momentum for its first five hundred pages, sets up a thrilling pace, has a huge event that is fabulous in its scale and execution . . . and then it all falls off a cliff.  There is a huge, gaping dead patch from about the 600-page mark, and that lasts two hundred pages or more, where virtually nothing happens apart from a lot of inconsequential talking heads, a lot of traveling, and bugger all else.  It is one of the first examples in the series - and a crime of which practically every fantasy series is guilty - that proves that the art of editing is lost.  Someone should've got hold of SE and given him a bloody good slap at this point, told him to cut all the aimless dialogue and hopping from one character to another like a choppily cut music video, and made him get on with it.  Had it been done at this stage it might have saved a lot of grief in the later, even longer books in the series.  This dead patch kills the momentum he had crafted so well in the first two thirds of the book and drags the pace down to a crawl which he then seems to have trouble extricating himself from until the final 150 pages  :doh:

Fortunately, though, this means there are still another seven hundred pages that are all kinds of awesome :giggle2:   If Deadhouse Gates saw Erikson kick the scale up several levels, here he boots it into the stratosphere.  'Epic' almost seems too small a word to describe it.  Yet, in doing so, he never loses sight of the characters.  Memories of Ice is a very intimate book.  Look below the surface and you'll see Erikson is talking about everything from love, grief, redemption, the price of motherhood (both good and bad), sacrifice, through to the meaning of life and the nature of heroism.  He introduces some fantastic new characters, especially the caravan guard Gruntle and the necromancers Beauchelain and Korbal Broach (who also star in their own series of novellas).  Everything that involves Paran, Whiskeyjack, Quick Ben, Rake, Brood and Korlat is a joy, as is the group that includes Toc the Younger, Tool, three Seguleh warriors (an army in their own right), a wolf, a dog, and the quite wonderful Lady Envy, who is easily the book's standout comedic character.  And then there's Itkovian, Shield Anvil of the Grey Swords.  His story will move you to tears, I guarantee it.  And then, to top it all off, he introduces the series' best Bad Guy, who I won't name so as not to spoil anything.  But he's fantastically, boo-hissily evil.  And all of this whilst gods walk among the mortals and chaotic magic threatens to bring an end to the world itself.

These characters' stories run the whole range of emotions.  The finale is one of the most thrilling I've ever read.  He has me on the edge of my seat, then he makes me laugh, and then he'll stop me short and tear my heart out.  Laura's observed elsewhere that he knows how to write epic prologues, and it's true!  He also knows how to write wonderful epilogues and, after ending the main text with something that made me smile, this one left me in bits all over again  :cry:

Oh, and it's got my second favourite cover art of the series :D

Memories of Ice is awesome in so many ways.  I would love to give it a 10, but that dead patch means I just can't do it.  Only just, though.

9/10

Great review, Steve :)! I believe you finished it before Laura did :P. I do love that cover art. It's a shame about the 'slump' of 200 pages that you mention :(. I'm glad you liked most other aspects of the book though. I can imagine this series is one that benefits from reading it multiple times to really get all the little subtle bits. I know of the order in your signature, but overall compared to the rest of the series, would you say this is one of the better or worser ones? I think you liked DG the most?

I think my favourite would be either The Bonehunters or Midnight Tides.  Put it this way: on my first read through my favourite was The Bonehunters.  At the time I thought it was the best fantasy novel I'd ever read.  Then on my second read through my favourite was Midnight Tides, which I thought was an astonishing book last time I read it.  But who knows, it may change completely this time through  :dunno::D

For me, Memories of Ice still ranks somewhere around the middle.  I don't include any of Esslemont's books in this as the ones I've read so far have been inferior to all of Erikson's.

Awesome review. :D From what I remember, and from what I've read so far, I agree with the vast majority of what you said. I have to say, I'm only up to page 209 at the moment, but there's a lot more talking and a lot less action than I remember. :unsure:

Oh, and it's got my second favourite cover art of the series :D

After Toll the Hounds? :) I think House of Chains is one of my favourites. You see the dogs first, and then only afterwards do you notice the teeny tiny figures at their feet and think "wow!" :giggle2:

I believe you finished it before Laura did :P

He did! I must have cursed myself when I suggested a race, because I'm reading slower than ever at the moment. :lol:

I think my favourite would be either The Bonehunters or Midnight Tides.  Put it this way: on my first read through my favourite was The Bonehunters.  At the time I thought it was the best fantasy novel I'd ever read.  Then on my second read through my favourite was Midnight Tides, which I thought was an astonishing book last time I read it.  But who knows, it may change completely this time through  :dunno::D

I know exactly what you mean! Memories of Ice was my favourite the first time through, then Midnight Tides the second time, then Reaper's Gale the third time. I'll bet you a hundred quid it'll be a different book this time. :D

Awesome review. From what I remember, and from what I've read so far, I agree with the vast majority of what you said. I have to say, I'm only up to page 209 at the moment, but there's a lot more talking and a lot less action than I remember.

I think that's a trend in most of the books - a slow build up and then BAM! :giggle2:

After Toll the Hounds? I think House of Chains is one of my favourites. You see the dogs first, and then only afterwards do you notice the teeny tiny figures at their feet and think "wow!"

Yeah, Toll the Hounds is my favourite.  It was the one that made me look at the books and want to read them in the first place, after all :smile:

I know what you mean about House of Chains.  I like the old Tor cover, too, with Karsa kneeling before the Toblakai gods in the cliff face:

post-6588-0-70483700-1412060804_thumb.jpg

He did! I must have cursed myself when I suggested a race, because I'm reading slower than ever at the moment.

Can't help with all that car hassle going on :(

I know exactly what you mean! Memories of Ice was my favourite the first time through, then Midnight Tides the second time, then Reaper's Gale the third time. I'll bet you a hundred quid it'll be a different book this time.

So I could just say it's a different book this time and get £100??  Cool!! :cool::giggle2:

When's the nice doggy book due to be read?

We're still four or five thousand pages away from that one :D

Great review, I really need to get a move on!

My 'fantasy-free month' is almost up. 

But . . . But . . . I thought you said parts of the Void book were traditional fantasy   :giggle2:

Pretty interesting it's a different one upon re-reading the series :)

# 62

The Sagittarius Command (Tour of the Merrimack Book 3) by R. M. Meluch

post-6588-0-31394200-1412189815_thumb.jpg  post-6588-0-91069500-1412189855_thumb.jpg 

2007 - DAW paperback - 363 pages

From Goodreads:

In the third novel of this acclaimed military science fiction series, all of humanity and its alien allies have joined together to battle the Hive - a force of pure destruction sweeping through the galaxy. But tensions soon escalate - and Captain John Farragut is forced to lead a mission into the heart of Hive territory in search of a man who's been "dead" for decades...

Thoughts:

Picking up a year after the events of the previous book, Wolf Star, the USA and Rome are maintaining an uneasy alliance as they battle the encroaching Hive.  They think they have time.  They think the Hive is years away from their home worlds, out in the Deep End of space.  But when Captain John Farragut and the crew of the U.S.S. Merrimack rescue the Roman planet of Thaleia from an undetected Hive invasion humanity is horrified to learn that this relentless enemy is somehow right on their doorstep. 

Naturally, Rome suspects the USA of somehow unleashing the Hive upon them, but an assassination soon sees the net of suspicion widen, and places Farragut in charge of a combined attack force sent deep into Hive territory.  What follows is a hugely enjoyable, fast-paced tale of action and intrigue, a lot of laugh-out-loud humour, a bit of romance, and plenty of twists and turns that lead the overarching story into some quite exciting places.

I have to say, I love Meluch's writing style in these books.  It's choppy, terse, and full of wit.  Somehow she's taken a bunch of what, on the face of it, are stereotypical military types lifted from any number of Hollywood movies and turned them into a group that I'm finding it really fun to spend time with.  From Farragut himself through his command crew to T R Steele, Kerry Blue and the rest of the marines, to the Romans Numa Pompeii, Herius Asinius (who comes to be known as Hairy Ass :lol: ) and the ever brilliant Augustus, who has quickly become my favourite new character in the books I've read so far this year, she brings them alive through snappy dialogue and believable motivations (or, at least, as much as the USA and Rome at war on a battleship in deep space can be believable! :D ).  The only downer is that Calli Carmel, so great in the previous book, is largely absent here.  Yet, somehow, Meluch gets away with it, and that's because all the other characters work so well as an ensemble.

Being the third book in the series I don't want to say too much more about it.  I thought it was fab.  It may not win any awards but this series is such a fun, fast, enjoyable read that I think any nitpicking would be fairly churlish.  It's a popcorn novel, the sort of book I read with a big grin on my face.  I actually laughed out loud when I was reading it on the tube on the way home today.  Got some funny looks, I can tell you  - more than usual, before Sari says it :P  :giggle2:  

The next book, Strength and Honor, is the last part of this four novel arc.  Really looking forward to it. 

"Shut up, Dak." :giggle2:

9/10

Edited by Karsa Orlong

# 63

Troika by Alastair Reynolds

post-6588-0-87185800-1412326454_thumb.jpg

2011 - Subterranean Press hardback - 114 pages

From Subterranean Press:

In novels such as Chasm City and Revelation Space, Alastair Reynolds established himself as an indisputable master of the far-flung intergalactic epic. Reynolds brings that same deceptively effortless mastery to the shorter fictional forms, a fact that Troika, his elegant, compulsively readable new novella, amply demonstrates.

Troika is at once a wholly original account of First Contact and a meditation on time, history, and the essentially fluid nature of identity itself. Suspenseful, erudite, and gracefully written, it is a significant accomplishment in its own right and a welcome addition to a remarkable body of work.

Thoughts:

Troika is set in the near future and is pretty much a Big Dumb Object story, much like Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama.  It's about three Cosmonauts who are sent to investigate a large sphere that has mysteriously appeared in our solar system in a flash of energy and then sets out on an elliptical, 12-year orbit around the sun.  On the first two orbits mankind sent out unmanned probes to investigate.  The object becomes known as the Matryoshka, for reasons that soon become apparent (providing you know what a Matryoshka is).  Now, 24 years after it first appeared, the so-called Second Soviet has sent three of its own. 

This is all fairly standard stuff - it's an old-school science fiction premise that's been done many times before.  Where Reynolds throws in a unique spin is that this particular part of the story is set in the characters' past.  The book actually starts in their present - our near future - where the last survivor of the mission is back on Earth, in Russia, and has just escaped from the institution where he has been locked up since his return, apparently insane.  What happened to the other two crew members I won't say, but the survivor, Dimitri, is desperately trying to get to an astrophysicist who was silenced by the Second Soviet government when she tried to broadcast her discoveries about the Matryoshka.

It's this second plot thread that elevates Troika from the ordinary.  The hints at a new Soviet Union and at a government that is willing to silence those who don't toe the line add and extra dimension to a well-worn idea.  The final pages contain a couple of twists that throw all the assumptions up in the air in a very intriguing way.

But therein lies the problem.  I think Reynolds writes brilliant short science fiction, and he crams an awful lot into them, but in this case I felt the story was crying out to be longer.  There is enough going on here to warrant a full-length novel.  That it has a couple of big twists and then ends left me feeling a bit unfulfilled.  Overall I thought it was a very good novella, but I wanted to know more about the Matryoshka, and the Second Soviet, and these characters.

7/10

# 64

Lightning by Dean Koontz

post-6588-0-48124700-1412665690_thumb.jpg

1989 - Headline paperback - 505 pages

From Amazon:

The first time the lightning strikes Laura Shane is born...

The second time is strikes the terror starts...though eight-year-old Laura is saved by a mysterious stranger from the perverted and deadly intentions of a drug-crazed robber. Throughout her childhood she is plagued by ever more terrifying troubles, and with increasing courage she finds the strength to prevail - even without the intervention of her strange guardian. But, despite her success as a novelist, and her happy family life, Laura cannot shake the certainty that powerful and malignant forces are controlling her destiny.

Then the lightning strikes once more and shatters her world. The adventure - and the terror - have only just begun...

Thoughts:

I first read this book when the paperback was originally published, way back in 1989.  I have quite vivid memories of reading it because I particularly recall a long and arduous journey during a tube strike.  All the lines that I usually used to get to work were shut down, so my dad took me with him to the place where he worked in West Ruislip and I got the Central Line from there as it was the only one running anywhere near where I wanted to go.  So there I was on a tube train packed like sardines, and I remember being so engrossed in the book that the world around me slipped away and the uncomfortable journey didn't bother me at all. 

I also remember that it introduced me to the word 'arroyo', and that I had no clue what one was at the time.  But that's another matter :giggle2:

Ever since then it's been a book that I mention amongst my favourites.  So the question was, has it stood the test of time?  Would it live up to my memories?  

Lightning was mentioned recently in a discussion about the best horror authors, and that is what gave me the urge to re-read it.  I was on the verge of buying the Kindle version when I found my original paperback buried behind another row of books on my shelves.  It shows the high regard in which I held the book that I have hung onto it for 25 years - I don't have many books that are older.  It tells the story of Laura Shane and how, from birth, she is protected by a mysterious guardian whose appearances are heralded by lightning storms.  At critical moments in her life, right from her birth, this guardian appears and saves her.  But who is he, and why is he doing this?  As Laura grows and his appearances become less frequent she begins to think he was a figment of her imagination but, inevitably, he will appear again. 

The first thing to say is that Lightning is not a horror novel, not even close.  It is a thriller through and through, but it's central premise is absolutely science fiction.  I think this is part of why I loved it so much in 1989 - I wasn't expecting this at all.  I came to it off the back of reading a load of Stephen King and wanted more of the same.  I most definitely wasn't expecting a book about time travel :o  And it was a thrilling one, too  :D

I returned to it now quarter of a century older, still with most of my own teeth but substantially less hair and a hell of a lot more cynical, and found it to be pretty much as I remembered it, but with some annoying facets that probably just wouldn't have occurred to me back then.  For a start, Koontz does everything possible to avoid any mention of science in this fiction.  I doubt if he could've come up with a good explanation for time travel if he'd tried (and the vastly superior Replay didn't bother, either, so it's not alone!) but the fact that he doesn't try at all leads me to believe he was afraid of alienating his core audience.  In the end it's just a maguffin with rules he makes up on the spur of the moment just to suit his plot.  By and large I don't have a major problem with this, because the story is fun, but it was more noticeable this time around. 

Considerably more annoying, though, are the characters.  Koontz doesn't leave any room for shades of grey, which means his characters are either pure as the driven snow or so evil they make Ming the Merciless look like Mickey Mouse.  We are told countless times that Laura is so beautiful, and her writing touches the soul, and she's good at everything she does.  The same goes for her family and friends, whilst the bad guys are just that: bad.  In the end it becomes amusing because he repeats this so often it's almost like a mantra.  And everyone in the book is white! :rolleyes:

Seeing as the book starts with Laura's birth it's not a surprise that we get to see her at various points in her life.  Much of the early stages of the book take place when she's 12 years old.  Twelve-year-old Laura is more balanced than any adult, taking everything in her stride with philosophical awareness - and she has a hell of a lot thrown at her (otherwise it wouldn't be much of a book!).  I could accept that if it was just her, but her friends are the same.  One thing's for sure, Koontz doesn't know how to write kids.  There are also some fairly hilarious holes in the plot later on which I won't detail as it would be spoiler territory but I was shaking my head in disbelief that I didn't spot them first time around :lol:

It sounds like I didn't enjoy re-reading it but I did, I'm just aware of its shortcomings now.  It still manages to thrill and Koontz's simple, straight-ahead style means it's a fast read that you don't need to think about it too much, if at all.  I think now, though, it is one that I'd knock several steps down the ladder in terms of a recommendation.  It borders on cheesy at times.  Anyone who's read a time travel story before will possibly find it a little simplistic and dumbed down.  They can go and read Replay.   

The perils of re-reading, I suppose.

6/10

ETA: I must add that I liked this book so much when I originally read it that I went on to read five or six more of Koontz's books but didn't like any of them as much as this one.  Gawd only knows what I'd make of those ones now! :D

ETA2:  Koontz was on The Crime Thriller Club on ITV3 last night.  I was in awe of his library in his vast home - until he said that all the books (8,000 of them!) were copies of his own novels, just with different covers and in different languages.  How narcissistic! :rolleyes:

Edited by Karsa Orlong