• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kay

If you need a feather duster for your book thread, I need to dust mine with a bulldozer !

I think I need to borrow your bulldozer now Julie :blush2:  :D 

Yay for more Kay reviews!

You spoke too soon :D I need to get my act together :blush2: Seriously can't remember what I've read now :blush2:  

I love the sound of Paperboy! I've never heard of the author nor the book, but your description really makes me want to read it.

Yay! Hope you enjoy it .. hubby's reading it now and enjoying it so that's two recommendations :smile:  

Hey Poppyshake  :writing:   Just popped in to say hope your okay & enjoying your easter eggs  :character0104:  

Thanks Sam :hug:.. sorry I'm late in replying .. got a bit bogged down but yes I did enjoy my easter eggs thoroughly. I suffered for it afterwards but by next year I'll have forgotten it :D 

Okay .. as most of you know I've been a bit preoccupied because Alan has been made redundant again and so I've sort of stepped in as secretary .. organising him and typing out CV's (well, I know you only need to do it once but they all seem to require a different accompanying letter) and sending them off and making sure he's smart for interviews etc (in theory .. in practice it just means there's two of us panicking and running around in circles :blush2:) and also trying to see if there's anyone out there that would take me on .. though Lord knows they'd have to be mad. We seem to spend our time cajoling one another .. there is always one person down in the dumps and one person feeling more positive .. I do wish we could synchronise occasionally but perhaps it's just as well. Dual moping would get us nowhere and God knows what rash things we might do on the positive days :D

I always read best and most when relaxed and obviously this new predicament is not conducive to that so I haven't read much. I need to get some thoughts down about those books that I have read though before they completely disappear into the fog. Possibly it will help if I try to make my reviews short and sweet (hurrah!) .. sort of along the lines of 'I thought it was good' or 'it sucked' :D basically that is all I end up saying anyway  :blush2: 

Hope all you good people are well and enjoying your books :friends3: Books are patient creatures aren't they? They just sit on the side and wait .. knowing that before too long you'll pick them up (except for Carter Beats the Devil :D the way I feel, that sucker's got no chance :D) The upside of it all (if it can be called an upside) is that I haven't spent any money at all on books. This is more of a necessity than a conscious effort so I can't exactly go around patting myself on the back but it is of course a huge sacrifice (more than cake even .. though perhaps not as much as toast) and perhaps will become habit forming though I have to say .. I hope not.

Hope to get a review or two done soon .. sorry for being so lax. My teachers always did say I was easily distracted :blush2: 

Hope to get a review or two done soon .. sorry for being so lax. My teachers always did say I was easily distracted :blush2: 

x

We completely understand, you have a lot going on in your life at the moment. It's always nicer to read when one feels relaxed. It's very good of you to not have bought any books, though the reason why is not nice at all! I hope things get better for the both of you soon. I miss your reviews but I think we all understand your head is otherwise occupied at the moment (I'm glad you still have toast though), so don't worry on our behalf :).

As Athena says, you have a lot going on, and reading and reviewing is one of those things that fall by the wayside (says she, with about 8 reviews to write :giggle2: ), so I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully things will get a bit more sorted soon and you can get back to reading and relaxing. :smile:

Okay .. as most of you know I've been a bit preoccupied because Alan has been made redundant again and so I've sort of stepped in as secretary .. organising him and typing out CV's (well, I know you only need to do it once but they all seem to require a different accompanying letter) and sending them off and making sure he's smart for interviews etc (in theory .. in practice it just means there's two of us panicking and running around in circles :blush2:) and also trying to see if there's anyone out there that would take me on .. though Lord knows they'd have to be mad. We seem to spend our time cajoling one another .. there is always one person down in the dumps and one person feeling more positive .. I do wish we could synchronise occasionally but perhaps it's just as well. Dual moping would get us nowhere and God knows what rash things we might do on the positive days :D

I always read best and most when relaxed and obviously this new predicament is not conducive to that so I haven't read much. I need to get some thoughts down about those books that I have read though before they completely disappear into the fog. Possibly it will help if I try to make my reviews short and sweet (hurrah!) .. sort of along the lines of 'I thought it was good' or 'it sucked' :D basically that is all I end up saying anyway  :blush2: 

Hope all you good people are well and enjoying your books :friends3: Books are patient creatures aren't they? They just sit on the side and wait .. knowing that before too long you'll pick them up (except for Carter Beats the Devil :D the way I feel, that sucker's got no chance :D) The upside of it all (if it can be called an upside) is that I haven't spent any money at all on books. This is more of a necessity than a conscious effort so I can't exactly go around patting myself on the back but it is of course a huge sacrifice (more than cake even .. though perhaps not as much as toast) and perhaps will become habit forming though I have to say .. I hope not.

Good to hear your both being so proactive & rising to the challenge hopefully this will mean that all your efforts will soon be rewarded. I'm still keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you both  :friends3:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all xx

Things are much the same though there are some (I wouldn't call them bright :blush2:) ... slightly lighter spots on the horizon. 

I do have some book news in that I got three new books last week :) Alan had to go away for the week and, bless him, he hid three new books in the house (along with some choccy which mostly I cannot show you as .. well .. you can imagine  :blush2:) and then took pics to send to me throughout the week  :blush2: It's a testament to how unobservant I am that he hid two of them amongst the rest of my books  :blush2: knowing I wouldn't notice  :blush2:  :blush2: 

Anyway .. the books are ..

Perfect by Rachel Joyce (already started it and it's good so far)

The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

He says they were all guesses on his part so pretty good guesses as all three were mentally, if not actually, on my wishlist.

Please excuse pics ... they're not the best quality. 

post-5612-0-49867300-1400525876_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-23726400-1400525904_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-82717500-1400525923_thumb.jpg

He's an absolute peach .. it was a lucky day for me when our paths crossed .. shame the same can't be said for him  :blush2:  :D 

I will attempt to put a few short reviews up .. apologies for the delay  :blush2: 

groucholetters.jpg
The Groucho Letters - Groucho Marx

Amazon's Synopsis: The Groucho Letters enjoys the very best of Groucho's correspondence with the greatest wits and minds of his day. Correspondents include James Thurber, T.S. Eliot, President Harry Truman, Edward R. Murrow, Jerry Lewis, Howard Hughes, Irving Berlin and of course, Chico, Harpo and Gummo. He writes to comics, corporations, children, presidents, and even his daughter's boyfriend. Here is Groucho swapping photos with T. S. Eliot ('I had no idea you were so handsome!'); advising his son on courting a rich dame ('Don't come out bluntly and say, "How much dough have you got?" That wouldn't be the Marxian way'); reacting with utmost composure when informed that he has been made into a verb by James Joyce ('There's no reason why I shouldn't appear in Finnegan's Wake . I'm certainly as bewildered about life as Joyce was'); and crisply declining membership in a Hollywood club ('I don't care to belong to any social organization that will accept me as a member'). No personage is too big, no nuance too small, no subject too far-out for Groucho's spontaneous, hilarious, and ferocious typewriter.

Review: Firstly, many thanks to dear Kylie for sending this to me 
:friends3: I love reading letters, it's a lovely nosy occupation reading words that were never meant for you. Groucho's letters are, as you might expect, very funny. He has a great deadpan delivery. No matter how serious the subject or how depressed he was about a certain event .. jokes were never far off. Many of his correspondents wrote back in a similar vein so there is this great interchange of wit. I liked it that we got to read the replies (not always but frequently) .. that's not often the case with letter collections .. you usually get a one-sided view. He was a prolific letter writer but then I guess a lot of people were back then .. especially writers. Goodness only knows what will pass for correspondence in the future. This is too depressing a thought for me to continue thinking it .. my consolation is I'll probably be dead before I get to know the full horror of it  :lol:

This is very much the Groucho that you see in his performances so I'm not sure you get to know much about him through his letters .. other than that he was a very funny man .. which you may have known already (and if you don't find him funny in general then suffice to say .. I don't think you'll enjoy this collection.) 

I only wish my own letters were half so entertaining.

4/5

theinventionofwings.jpg
The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

Amazon's Synopsis: Sarah Grimké is the middle daughter. The one her mother calls difficult and her father calls remarkable. On Sarah's eleventh birthday, Hetty 'Handful' Grimké is taken from the slave quarters she shares with her mother, wrapped in lavender ribbons, and presented to Sarah as a gift. Sarah knows what she does next will unleash a world of trouble. She also knows that she cannot accept. And so, indeed, the trouble begins.

Review: Very enjoyable storytelling. That is, very compelling and absorbing. The subject matter is not an enjoyable one .. it's fairly harrowing though thankfully not particularly graphic. It reminded me a lot of The Help .. though The Help had some comic relief which this book is mostly without but then there are obviously marked differences between being 'the help' and being enslaved. The author based the story on two real life characters .. Sarah and Angelina Grimké .. two of the first American women to champion both women's rights and the abolition of slavery though obviously their story has been fleshed out and fictionalised. Handful and her mother Precious (two slaves working in the Grimké household) were invented characters I believe. When Sarah is presented with Handful as her own personal slave she immediately objects and tries to put it right by demanding her freedom. Her family aren't interested but Handful's mother Precious exacts a promise from her ... that she will free Handful one day. Sarah hardly knows how to do this .. her family are resolute but then she realises that freedom can mean all sorts of things .. possibly teaching someone to read would be a freedom of sorts. Sarah sets about doing this, not knowing that this seemingly simple act will throw all their lives into turmoil. The narrative is split between Sarah and Handful and I enjoyed both which is unusual for me ... there's often one narrative I enjoy more and this sometimes spoils the story (my heart nearly always drops when I encounter the split narrative  :blush2: .. I have to  chivvy myself out of it  :D
)

I really liked Sue Monk Kidd's writing, I've long fancied reading The Secret Life of Bees but somehow got to this one first .. by accident really. I definitely want to read the other now. Very evocative writing .. you don't have to struggle to picture anything or anyone.

4/5 

• 2 weeks later...

Great reviews, I'm glad you enjoyed these books :).

Thanks Gaia :)

The Invention of Wings sounds great. I read The Secret Life of Bees earlier this year and really liked it, so I must get around to reading it soon. :smile:

Well that's good to know, I've only ever heard good things about it so I can't wait to read it. Hope you find this one good too bobbs :)

The Invention of Wings sounds great - another for the wish list!

Hope you enjoy it Alexi. I can still remember most of the story which is quite rare for me :D

The Groucho Marx book sounds really good Kay, i think i might buy it for hubby for Father's day & then i can read it myself  :devcat:

What an ingenious idea :D Hope both you and hubby like it Sam :) It's a good book to dip into.

cranewife.jpg
The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness

Amazon's Synopsis: One night, George Duncan is woken by a noise in his garden. Impossibly, a great white crane has tumbled to earth, shot through its wing by an arrow. Unexpectedly moved, George helps the bird, and from the moment he watches it fly away, his life is transformed. The next day, a beautiful woman called Kumiko walks into his shop and begins to tell him the most extraordinary story.

Review: I thought I was going to love this ... it started off so well and I loved The Monster Calls. I really liked the whole opening chapter about the injured crane landing in George's garden .. it was beautifully described and I thought I was going to be in for something quite magical and it did get incredibly mystical but it also started to bore me. I wasn't in a particularly good place when reading it and so that might have had a bearing. I think I was also annoyed that it wasn't turning into the book I'd hoped it was  :blush2:

The day after rescuing the crane, the mysterious Kumiko walks into George's print shop. They fall in love and combine their talents (Kumiko uses slivers of white feathers and George slices up old books) to make some beautiful artwork that is irresistible to the beholder (I couldn't quite believe in this if I'm honest .. perhaps I needed to see one :D) Kumiko offers George the kind of love and serenity that have been missing from his life but she's also a puzzle to him ... who is she and where has she come from? George can't just accept her for who she is, he must know everything about her.

I did feel like Patrick was trying to get something over to me that I was utterly failing to grasp. Again, that was probably due to my inattentiveness. I only ever had half an eye on it and this is a story that would benefit from continuous reading or as continuous as you can manage. Alongside the modern telling of this story comes Kumiko's folk tale (and this whole story is a reworking of a Japanese myth) .. but to me it felt disjointed and slightly heavy handed. Both stories build to a climax and my interest peaked again then but it didn't really compensate for all the trudge that went before. Ali Smith does this sort of thing much better imo. Interesting but overall disappointing. 3/5

idiopathy.jpg
Idiopathy by Sam Byers

Amazon's Synopsis: Katherine and Daniel used to be together. Now Katherine hates everyone, but not as much as she hates herself, while Daniel tells his new girlfriend he loves her, because not telling her would be like telling her he doesn’t love her. From out of the blue comes a message from their old friend, rehabilitated party animal Nathan – now adjusting to his mother’s new career as a misery memoirist, her tales of maternal hardships the stuff of Twitter superstardom. Nathan suggests a reunion, but with the bad blood flowing like cheap wine, it can’t end well. As a bovine plague sweeps across the nation, a toxic dinner party gets underway – its atmosphere so poisonous that none of them will escape infection.

Review: I enjoyed reading this even though it was, in places, a little too far fetched and the characters, by and large, were completely unlikeable. Katherine in particular is hideous. But then it's not supposed to be a sympathetic portrayal. Nathan is perhaps the only character to empathise with (and I did love the writer's depiction of his mother .. who had been through hell and back with him but had found solace in writing her own experiences down in a book and become a bit of an internet sensation which has made her horribly self absorbed) but he was also perhaps the least fleshed out. He is really the only one to root for but then you don't have to love the characters to love a story and this one was readable and very often LOLable. Most of the time you're horrified by the behaviour of these characters who are obnoxious. You thank God that you don't know anyone like them (and if you do .. commiserations :D
) but then there are some truly touching soul searching moments which soften you slightly .. though never for long.

Katherine and Daniel's relationship is fractured (they used to be together and one can only wonder at the day to day awfulness of it) but at Nathan's (a mutual friend) request they are meeting up again. Resentments have only heightened since they've been apart and guilt too so it's not exactly a welcome meeting or something any of them are looking forward to but from Nathan's point of view it's necessary. It's too much to hope though that things will be plain sailing .. Katherine could actually kill an atmosphere at thirty paces and all three of them have things that, they feel, need saying. For the reader it's like being invited to the dinner party from hell, I was in constant cringe mode. Not sure this book will be for everyone, the reviews are very mixed. It is funny but also .. because the characters are unlikeable and quite damaged .. it's quite a melancholy read (as much as the reader hates Katherine .. Katherine hates herself every bit as much and practically everybody in the book is self serving and narcissistic.) Sometimes I thought the writer lost his way but there were lots of razor sharp observations and witty lines. I did find myself constantly thinking 'that would never happen' though .. and that was my main gripe with it ... it is just too unbelievable and at times even farcical. Strangely absorbing though and the pages read themselves. 4/5