Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

New addition to the family:

post-8698-0-06316800-1414410279_thumb.jpg

:) We just picked her up yesterday from Woodgreen animal shelter. Her name is Ivy, she's a tabby 1 year 7 months old and is very playful.

She settled in quite quickly but is still frightened of any new noise or movement. This is our first ever cat so we are a bit nervous but I think it's going well :)

ETA: She doesn't always look quite so evil!

Edited by Timstar

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3314369.jpg The Steel Remains - Richard Morgan

Synopsis

Ringil, the hero of the bloody slaughter at Gallows Gap is a legend to all who don't know him and a twisted degenerate to those that do. A veteran of the wars against the lizards he makes a living from telling credulous travellers of his exploits. 

Archeth - pragmatist, cynic and engineer, the last of her race - is called from her work at the whim of the most powerful man in the Empire and sent to its farthest reaches to investigate a demonic incursion against the Empire's borders.

Egar Dragonbane, steppe-nomad, one-time fighter for the Empire finds himself entangled in a small-town battle between common sense and religious fervour. But out in the wider world there is something on the move far more alien than any of his tribe's petty gods.

Anti-social, anti-heroic, and decidedly irritated, all three of them are about to be sent unwillingly forth into a vicious, vigorous and thoroughly unsuspecting fantasy world. Called upon by an Empire that owes them everything and gave them nothing.

Review

Although this is my first Morgan book, I knew what to expect from reading reviews of his other work. This was his first attempt at traditional fantasy and his influences are as clear as the personal touches he has added. 

The first of the trilogy entitled A Land Fit for Heroes, The Steel Remains follows 3 warriors, heroes of the war 10 years ago.They were cast aside during peacetime and have become bitter and resentful and have gotten by by taking any jobs they can. Now all three of them are asked/persuaded/paid to do seemingly unconnected tasks.

This series must be unique amongst fantasy as having 2 out of the main 3 characters gay, including Ringil the main protagonist. The sex scenes which show this are graphic and don't make for pleasant reading (not to sound homophobic... they're just really graphic!). It was certainly a bold move but works quite well, some characters perceive him as the Hero of Gallow's Gap where he helped win the war, others just insult and look down upon him for being gay. There is also a lot of swearing, a lot! Especially from Egar but also in the narrative prose, a lot of which felt unnecessary. 

The Steel Remains had some great fight scenes and well imagined locations, but the story overall felt like it didn't progress much, however, it was fairly short, 400 pages or so and is the first of a trilogy so I will expect more from the second The Cold Commands.

Overall 7/10

Interesting!  I've been put off Morgan a bit by the last of his SF books I read.  Everything you say about this one applies equally to the Kovacs trilogy.  Good to read your thoughts on his fantasy work.

I've had The Steel Remains on my wishlist for aaaaages

Mine too :lol:  I've been following what they've been saying about the final book over on the Malazan forums.  They seem to love it.  I'm still unconvinced about Morgan, though :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the new job, Tim. I've always admired people who work in cancer research areas, and now even more so since I lost my Dad to brain cancer a few months ago. Thank you for choosing this line of work. :)

New addition to the family:

attachicon.gif2014-10-27 09.15.22.jpg

:) We just picked her up yesterday from Woodgreen animal shelter. Her name is Ivy, she's a tabby 1 year 7 months old and is very playful.

She settled in quite quickly but is still frightened of any new noise or movement. This is our first ever cat so we are a bit nervous but I think it's going well :)

ETA: She doesn't always look quite so evil!

Welcome to the family, Ivy! What a beautiful girl! Is she more black on the body and grey on her head? I haven't seen that type of colouring before.

I've had my cat for around 4 years, and he's not only the first cat I've ever had, but my first pet of any type! I was a bit nervous bringing him home, but we were just fine. I love him to death and he barely tolerates me. :D It's a terrific relationship. And I work from home now, so we're rarely apart. He's rarely affectionate but he at least follows me around and lounges around close to me, so I think that's his way of saying he likes me. Cats are odd creatures, and endlessly entertaining, aren't they?

How is Ivy settling in? I look forward to hearing some cat tales and seeing more pics (if you don't mind sharing).

Hi all, I know I haven't updated lately and I generally don't like posting anything negative but unfortunately I need to say that Ivy had to be returned to the re-homing centre. We had some issues that I won't get into but needless to say I was pretty upset. I've wanted a cat as long as I can remember giving her back was the hardest decision ever, especially as it's not good for the cat to be moved so frequently. But ultimately I still believe it was the right decision both for us and Ivy, I just hope she can find a good home. I really appreciate all the support from you guys on here, but this is one issue I would like to avoid discussing if possible please.

In happier news I started my new job last week. I am mainly recruiting patients for a lung cancer study and extracting peripheral blood cells for genetic study, but I should be assisting in other projects and further research/analysis. It's going really well, working in a nice small group and they are easing me in slowly.

I was very sorry to hear about your father Kylie, :hug: I hope you're doing OK! it is a privilege to be working against something that affects so many people.

I don't have many reading updates, the only one I have finished lately was Bones of the Hill by Conn Iggulden, the third book of his conqueror series which just keeps getting better.

I am currently reading:

Les Misérables

Deadhouse Gates

Evolutionary Void

Forest Mage

The shortest of which is 600 pages so it might be a while before I get around to finishing any :roll:

Aw, sorry to hear about Ivy.  :empathy:

Glad to hear the new job is going well! :) It sounds very interesting. You've intrigued me...I'm off to look up what peripheral blood cells are!

I'm doing OK, thanks.  :smile:

Goodness me, I don't think I could tackle 4 books with 600+ pages at once! I haven't heard of the last three, but I'd like to read Les Mis one day. I find the prospect a bit daunting though. Is it a difficult read?

I'm so sorry to hear about Ivy :(.

I'm glad your new job is going well though, I think it's very admirable what you're doing :). My boyfriend has joked for years how he thinks I should find a cure for cancer, but I've explained to him that I picked the wrong master study to do this (I picked the more anorganic side of chemistry, and physics, over the biological side) :P. It's just not for me. But I very much admire you that you do this :).

Wow, I couldn't read that many long fiction books at once! Do you read some chapters in one before switching to another, or do you read in a different one each day depending on your mood and such?

Glad to hear the new job is going well! :) It sounds very interesting. You've intrigued me...I'm off to look up what peripheral blood cells are!

Mononucleated cells to be more specific - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_blood_mononuclear_cell

But we're also taking plasma, serum, swabs, tumour biopsies etc...

Goodness me, I don't think I could tackle 4 books with 600+ pages at once! I haven't heard of the last three, but I'd like to read Les Mis one day. I find the prospect a bit daunting though. Is it a difficult read?

Wow, I couldn't read that many long fiction books at once! Do you read some chapters in one before switching to another, or do you read in a different one each day depending on your mood and such?

I don't really know how it happened but I'm coping ok, they are all very different from each other. I just read whatever takes my fancy for as long as I can be bothered then switch or have a break :shrug:

Les Misérables is fantastic but very long winded. The prose and brilliant descriptions need to be enough to hold your attention, cause the story in itself won't.

I'm glad your new job is going well though, I think it's very admirable what you're doing :). My boyfriend has joked for years how he thinks I should find a cure for cancer, but I've explained to him that I picked the wrong master study to do this (I picked the more anorganic side of chemistry, and physics, over the biological side) :P. It's just not for me. But I very much admire you that you do this :).

Thanks! I've only ever been interested in the biological side. Physical chemistry just goes straight over my head, especially all the maths and equations! i'm always impressed how others do it though :)

Mononucleated cells to be more specific - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_blood_mononuclear_cell

But we're also taking plasma, serum, swabs, tumour biopsies etc...

I don't really know how it happened but I'm coping ok, they are all very different from each other. I just read whatever takes my fancy for as long as I can be bothered then switch or have a break :shrug:

Les Misérables is fantastic but very long winded. The prose and brilliant descriptions need to be enough to hold your attention, cause the story in itself won't.

Thanks! I've only ever been interested in the biological side. Physical chemistry just goes straight over my head, especially all the maths and equations! i'm always impressed how others do it though :)

Thanks for that link :). I guess it's good there's different kinds of people with different skills :). I find what you do very admirable. My sister works on veins and ultrasound, doing research for the university, I admire that too. I couldn't do any of that.

I'm glad you're doing okay reading these different books :).

• 4 weeks later...

200px-Evolutionary_void_cover_uk.jpg The Evolutionary Void - Peter F. Hamilton

Synopsis

Millions of Leaving Dream pilgrims are on board their immense ultra-drive ships, heading towards – and into – the Void at the heart of the galaxy. There they expect to live perfect lives in a perfectable world, but the cost of this perfection could not be greater. Among those who will do anything and everything to prevent the pilgrims entering the Void is the genius recluse Ozzie, who’s not quite the man he used to be – if he’s a man at all; Gore Burnelli, the oldest and most influential human being alive; the Delivery Man, a one-time faction agent with devastating firepower at his disposal; and the legendary Paula Myo, the Commonwealth’s ruthless, unstoppable field operative. They must succeed if the galaxy is to survive and, needless to say, time is running out . . .

Review

This is the final book in the void trilogy, though it is very much one massive book cut into three sections for necessaity. It continues in the same format as the previous two, having one chapter inside the Void followed by one outside. Within the Void, Edeard's power is almost total but he begins to question the good he is trying to do. He is faced with constant moral dilemmas and continually makes the hard choice for the benefit of the majority.

The small band of heroes and anti-heroes established over the trilogy (as well as the preceeding duology, The Commonwealth Saga) finally all come together which Hamilton relishes in and gives them some fantastic back-and-forth dialogue.

In the previous books I much preferred the chapters set within the void but it was a complete reversal in the final installment, it is the events in the Commonwealth that really gripped me this time. Not that they weren't good before, but they had certainly been leading to the climax in the TEV.

My biggest anticpiation about TEV was the two storylines intersecting, I wasn't sure how Hamilton was going to do it or how well it would work, but I needn't have been worried as he seemlessly interwove the two previously juxtaposed storylines into a logical and satisfying conclusion.

Although all three books are roughly the same length TEV felt longer then the previous two, it lagged quite a bit in the middle. Not that I was ever bored but it didn't fly past like the others did. For this reason I feel it's the weakest of the trilogy. But there is certianly nothing to not like in here if you enjoyed the previous two.

Overall 8/10

I finished Les Misérable. All 1200 pages of it. It's a fantastic book but there certainly isn't a lot of narrative. It takes the scenic route, and by that I mean the equivalent of travelling from London to Edinburgh via New Zealand! It's a fantastic journey as long as you're not in a hurry.

It's packed full of description, social commentary and philosophy. Long winded discussions of events that only feature in a minor part of the plot. But still an absolute pleasure to read.

Overall 10/10

^ Holy moly, congratulations on finishing such a massive read! And aren't you just over the moon that it was a really great read, and not a boring 1200 paged piece of BS :lol: How long did it take you to read it?

A lot of things been happening in your life lately. Congratulations on landing a new job, and a very important one, at that. :smile2:

^ Holy moly, congratulations on finishing such a massive read! And aren't you just over the moon that it was a really great read, and not a boring 1200 paged piece of BS :lol: How long did it take you to read it?

You sound bitter, did you read a 1200 page pile of BS?  :giggle2:

I've read it gradually over a few months, between other things as well as having a few breaks in the middle.

A lot of things been happening in your life lately. Congratulations on landing a new job, and a very important one, at that. :smile2:

Thanks! Yeah it has been a busy few months.

Wow, congrats on that accomplishment! I'm glad you liked it :). I have it on my TBR (two paperback volumes) and I also have a free edition on my Kindle (it was a default file I believe).

Thanks, hope you enjoy it! :)