Tim's Horror, Fantasy and SF 2014

Timstar

theplayerofgames_0.jpg The Player of Games - Iain M. Banks

Synopsis

A distant future that could almost be called the end of history. Humanity has filled the galaxy, and thanks to ultra-high technology everyone has everything they want, no one gets sick, and no one dies. It's a playground society of sports, stellar cruises, parties, and festivals. Jernau Gurgeh, a famed master game player, is looking for something more and finds it when he's invited to a game tournament at a small alien empire. Abruptly Banks veers into different territory. The Empire of Azad is exotic, sensual and vibrant. It has space battle cruisers, a glowing court-- all the stuff of good old science fiction--which appears old-fashioned in contrast to Gurgeh's home. At first it's a relief, but further exploration reveals the empire to be depraved and terrifically unjust.

Review

This was my first delve into the Culture universe created by the late Iain M. Banks, I can't say it was an overwhelmingly positive one. Maybe it would have helped more to have read the previous Culture books but I felt a bit like been thrown in at the deep end, like there was something more I was supposed to have known in advance.

After about 100 pages I realised I didn't fully understand what was happening or why, so I put it down and picked up another book for a bit, but I was determined to come back to it afresh. So I looked up some of the Culture history and well... culture to see what I could grasp and it began to make more sense. I picked up easily where I had left off and the story made more sense and began to settle into the main focus, being Gurgeh's challenge to play the game on the Empire of Azad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing this was the first time we had been introduced to Azad, or at least in this depth. Thus I was able to follow nicely and I got a good interpretation of Azad as we are introduced to it through Gurgeh's eyes in a very much fish-out-of-water style. The game itself was pretty difficult to picture but it is still clear what is happening in the big picture.  There is some great wit and humour which I haven't come across before in SF, especially from the droids and the names of the ships etc. It is also full of social commentary, particularly on how we see other cultures and what we perceive as a threat.

Not a great start to Iain M. Banks for me but it was able to redeem itself. At the moment I have one other Culture book on my TBR pile, Excession, which I will give at some point. I would also like to read his non-SF stuff.

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first delve into the Culture universe created by the late Iain M. Banks, I can't say it was an overwhelmingly positive one. Maybe it would have helped more to have read the previous Culture books but I felt a bit like been thrown in at the deep end, like there was something more I was supposed to have known in advance.

No, don't think so - they don't really work that way, they're all separate stories.  Shame you didn't enjoy it but then you liked A Dance with Dragons so there's obviously something wrong with you  :giggle2:

Actually, I think I gave it a 7 as well :lol:  So I wasn't as enamoured with it as others, either.  I was pretty underwhelmed by Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons, too.  Generally, so far I've preferred his non-Culture SF (Feersum Endjinn, Against A Dark Background, and especially The Algebraist, which I have grown to like more and more) :shrug:

Ah fair enough then, I will have to try some of the others :)

No, don't think so - they don't really work that way, they're all separate stories.  Shame you didn't enjoy it but then you liked A Dance with Dragons so there's obviously something wrong with you  :giggle2:

Well it is a big book, maybe it's just not for the simple minded :P

Great review, Tim! Shame you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I really liked The Player of Games. I do agree though, the books throw you in at the deep end. They aren't big books but there's a lot written that needs thought. So far I've read the first four Culture books and Against a Dark Background.

Great review, Tim! Shame you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I really liked The Player of Games. I do agree though, the books throw you in at the deep end. They aren't big books but there's a lot written that needs thought. So far I've read the first four Culture books and Against a Dark Background.

Thanks, which was your favourite Culture?

Abraham_Dragons-Path-TP-220x330.jpg The Dragon's Path - Daniel Abraham

Synopsis

The dragons are gone, the powerful magics that broke the world diluted to little more than parlour tricks, but the kingdoms of men remain and the great game of thrones goes on. Lords deploy armies and merchant caravans as their weapons, manoeuvring for wealth and influence. But a darker power is rising - an unlikely leader with an ancient ally threatens to unleash again the madness that destroyed the world once already. Only one man knows the truth and, from the shadows, must champion humanity. The world's fate stands on the edge of a Dagger, its future on the toss of a Coin . . .

Review

George R.R. Martin once again gets his name on the front of a book, endorsing it with the words "Everything I look for in a fantasy". Vague, generic statement aside, given that it has Dragon in the title and 'game of thrones' in the description, not to mention being a close friend of Abraham, means it is not the most helpful of praise.

This was Abraham's first attempt at a more 'traditional' fantasy, and the GRRM influences are clear. The focus is more on the politics and manoeuvring as oppose to the battles and magic. It follows the same chapter structure, of having one devoted to a specific character before coming back to them a few chapters later. Unfortunately with so many similarities to A Song of Ice and Fire comparison's are inevitable and it falls quite short of GRRMs high standard. That's not to say it is without merit, there are certainly some good ideas and I am intrigued as to where the manoeuvring is leading.

It relies quite heavily on the characters and some are great but others fall a bit flat and failed to make an impact for me. Marcus and Gedar were my favourites and I think they have the most potential. There are clearly more characters to be introduced and others to be developed further which I am looking forward to.

I think my biggest issue was that I didn't feel immersed in the world that Abraham had created unlike other fantasies I have read. With the focus more on the character as oppose to world building it left me feeling a bit detached. Not the entire time though, there were sections that flew past and left me wondering where the time had gone.

I will read the others but I think I might wait for the series to be completed, in the mean time I would like to try out The Long Price quartet.

Overall 7/10

Edited by Timstar

It follows the same chapter structure, of having one devoted to a specific character before coming back to them a few chapters later.

That sort of approach, I find, has worn thin very quickly :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review, Tim - it's dropped it down my wishlist a fair way, which isn't a bad thing at the moment :D

That sort of approach, I find, has worn thin very quickly :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review, Tim - it's dropped it down my wishlist a fair way, which isn't a bad thing at the moment :D

Haha no problem, what is at the top at the moment?

Nice review, Tim! I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it as much as some other fantasy books. Well, they can't all be brilliant I suppose.. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

Thanks! I am certainly enjoying The Way of Kings more at the moment. *Hides from Steve* :hide:

Also been reading Hamlet which was brilliant, almost finished Patriot Games by Tom Clancy which is OK as well as a few of Ian Fleming's short Bond stories.

Thanks! I am certainly enjoying The Way of Kings more at the moment. *Hides from Steve* :hide:

x

That's great to hear! It's on my TBR, I enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's writing of the last few books of the Wheel of Time series, I don't know how he writes a story on his own though, I look forward to find out at some point, I might read Mistborn first though.

50 books to read before you die challenge.

There are many lists which state 1000 books you must read or something along those lines, which is a ridicolous amount. I think 50 is quite achievable. So I am slowly working through this list, although there aren't many horror, fantasy or SF on there I will post thoughts when I read a book on the list.

Just out of curiosity: how did you come about/compile this list? :) Did you find it somewhere or are those the books you are interested in reading off the official 1001 Books -list?

best-served-cold.jpg Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie (Audio book read by Steven Pacey)

Review

I wasn't originally going to get the audio book of this, I already have the paperback and was planning on reading it soon, but I remembered how brilliant Steven Pacey's narration of Red Country was and couldn't resist getting this as well.

Very glad I didn't resist, this is a superb book but not comfortable reading/listening at all. The characters are dragged through the mud kicking and screaming, Monza worst of all, yet they never lose their wit and charm.

Oh, I wonder how it would all sound like! :o I don't do audio books, so I don't know how they are done. So does Steven Pacey scream / shout the lines that are screamed/shouted in the book?

Great review, anyways! :) I definitely need to read this at some point.

My purchases today:

attachicon.gif2014-01-18 13.14.36.jpg

Android Karenina :lol:

ETA: Hehe, the height of the three classics stacked is the same as Dune standing up...

attachicon.gif2014-01-18 14.30.48.jpg

:giggle2:   :readingtwo:

:lol: You are such a book nerd! :lol:

Just out of curiosity: how did you come about/compile this list? :) Did you find it somewhere or are those the books you are interested in reading off the official 1001 Books -list?

The list came on a bookmark that I got as a present :)

Oh, I wonder how it would all sound like!  :o I don't do audio books, so I don't know how they are done. So does Steven Pacey scream / shout the lines that are screamed/shouted in the book?

He wouldn't scream or shout, but there would be a change in tone. He is great at making you feel what the characters are feeling, the humour is also very well done as a lot of it is in the tone such as sarcasm.

Android Karenina  :lol:  
:lol: You are such a book nerd!  :lol:

:giggle2: haha... yeah.  :P but i'm sure most people on BCF are  :D

x

That's great to hear! It's on my TBR, I enjoyed Brandon Sanderson's writing of the last few books of the Wheel of Time series, I don't know how he writes a story on his own though, I look forward to find out at some point, I might read Mistborn first though.

I really enjoyed Mistborn, a good way to start Sanderson.

Usually it's whichever book I see next :giggle2: 

:banghead:   :no:  :D  

:giggle2:

The list came on a bookmark that I got as a present :)

Ah! I do remember having seen the bookmark. A beautiful one :) Do you cross the books off from that bookmark after reading? :giggle:

He wouldn't scream or shout, but there would be a change in tone. He is great at making you feel what the characters are feeling, the humour is also very well done as a lot of it is in the tone such as sarcasm.

Thanks for explaining that. It's an interesting talent, being able to do that credibly. Not everyone can do it. Maybe I should try an audio book some day.

:giggle2: haha... yeah.  :P but i'm sure most people on BCF are  :D

Oh but setting the Dune novel next to the three books was something else, you took it to a whole other level :lol::cool:

Oxymoron  :P  :giggle2:

You're an oxymoron.

Oh but setting the Dune novel next to the three books was something else, you took it to a whole other level :lol::cool:

:cool: Trendsetter is what I am.

Some of my work is repetitive so it is great having an audio book to listen to. Audible is brilliant for them :)

Great review of the Abraham, Tim. :) I agreed with much of what you said (I'm getting a bit tired of the PoV chapter structure myself, and did think some of the characters weren't as deep as in other books I've read), but I did enjoy book #2 a lot more, and will hopefully be able to read the third one soon, which is supposed to be awesome. :D

x

I've never read any Sanderson, but Mistborn #1 is on my TBR, and Warbreaker and The Way of Kings are both on my wishlist. :)

Won't be laughing when everyone is reading Brandon Sanderson and Malazan is getting dusty on the shelves  :D

Too far, Tim, too far. :(   :no: You gone done made this personal now!  :mad:

:giggle2:

Edited by Signor Finzione