Andrea's books 2014

~Andrea~

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did start reading Neil Gaiman's Preludes and Nocturnes graphic novel but I wasn't really digging it. I got half way through and decided it wasn't really my thing. So I've picked up Melvyn Bragg's A soldier's Return instead. Not got very far in yet though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Loving Through the Looking Glass, although I think Lewis Carrol must have been as high as a kite when he wrote it as it is so surreal.

I have to say I'm finding The Sunday Philosophy Club a little dull and I'm not really warming to Isobel much. I find her a bit of an opinionated fusspot. I will continue with it though as it's not terrible.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 2 weeks later...

I've been neglecting this thread! I've finished Through the Looking Glass and found it just as delightful (and weird) as Alice in Wonderland. I also finished The Case for Christ which I enjoyed even though when I started it I thought I was going to hate it. I'm still listening to The Sunday Philosophy Club and I've been finding it quite tedious although it is picking up a little now. I'm listening to an abridged version, so I dread to think how I'd struggle with the unabridged (unless they cut out all the good bits :giggle: )

Yesterday I started Freed for Life by Rita Nightingale which is the true story of someone imprisoned in Thailand having had heroin placed in their suitcase without their knowledge by a so-called friend.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 2 weeks later...

I finished The Sunday Philosophy Club and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I found it pretty slow (though it did pick up a bit in the second half) and found the endless philosophising quite tedious, with the ethics of every little thing discussed in detail (and I like philosophy - although perhaps I'm not such a fan of ethics). There just didn't seem to be enough story here and what there was wasn't particularly earth shattering. It was OK, I mean I managed to listen to it to the end, but I certainly won't rush back to this series.

• 2 months later...

Wow - well it's been a while since I posted here!

I finished Freed for Life and enjoyed it. Since then I've listened to The Martian, by Andy Weir, about a NASA botanist and engineer who gets stranded on Mars. It was very enjoyable and decently read by R C Bray. It's a bit like Robinson Crusoe on Mars, with the story of how an engineer overcomes one problem after another in their bid to survive. It was engaging and gripping, with interesting characters and a touch of humour thrown in. There was a lot of technical detail which I did have to kind of tune out of a little, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless. I would recommend if you like science fiction. It was originally self-published and then redistributed by Crown publishing. Pretty good for a first novel and well researched and convincing, at least for a non-engineer like myself.

I've also been reading Philosophy of Mind - Classical and Contemporary Readings for some while now. It is very interesting but it's going to take me some while to get through.

I've also started Barbara Vine's King Solomon's Carpet but haven't got too far with it yet.

Edited by ~Andrea~

I read The Martian, and absolutely loved it!  There was a lot of technical data thrown out there, but Weir did it in such a way that I could understand most of it, and took the rest on faith. :)

Edited by pontalba

Andrea

It  sounds as though you've been running across a few duds lately. Sure hope you find a super good one that will knock your socks off !   I thought your comment about Lewis Carroll was funny !   :)

Thanks Julie. Yes the year started out well but there have been a few disappointments. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the final Robin Hobb Live Ship book soon when OH lends me his kindle for a bit. So hopefully that will redress the balance :)

• 1 month later...

OK a while since I've been in here then! I finally finished Ship of Destiny, the last in the Liveship Traders trilogy, and I thoroughly enjoyed this fantasy adventure series. Lots of strong female characters, ships whose figureheads come to life, pirates and magic. A great read. I did feel the ending was a little rushed perhaps or that there was just too much to wrap up at the end (there is a lot going on in this book, lots of characters and lots of plot lines) but that was a fairly minor niggle. Recommended.

Annoyingly I've lost a book I'm half way through :( This was King Solomon's carpet. I put it to one side because OH's kindle became free which had the last liveship book on it. But now I can't find it anywhere! Oh well I guess it'll turn up.

Anyway - I've just downloaded Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz and The Asylum by John Harwood. I think I'll go for Odd Thomas next and save The Asylum for October in keeping with the spooky theme of the month.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Liveship Traders trilogy :). I always love having strong female characters in books, so I think I will enjoy it when I read it.

I'm sorry to hear about the book you lost though :( I hope it will turn up sooner rather than later.