Alexi's Reading 2014

Alexi

Oh dear. My next meeting of the Bookaholics Anonymous isn't going to go well...

A few acquisitions....

May We Be Forgiven by A M Homes

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Born Weird by Andrew Kaufman

Gargling with Tar by Jachym Topol

So six books acquired by 5th January. Doing well.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alexi

I know what you mean. I think we kinda all enable each other in here. We see someone else mention a book they bought, and before we know it, there we go ,buying some more ourselves .

x

This is kind of true I think.

Holidays mean plenty of time for reading (hurrah!) so a couple of reviews...

#2 A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

Synopsis: For years, Nadezhda and Vera, two Ukrainian sisters, raised in England by their refugee parents, have had as little as possible to do with each other - and they have their reasons. But now they find they'd better learn how to get along, because since their mother's death their aging father has been sliding into his second childhood, and an alarming new woman has just entered his life.

Valentina, a bosomy young synthetic blonde from the Ukraine, seems to think their father is much richer than he is, and she is keen that he leave this world with as little money to his name as possible. If Nadazhda and Vera don't stop her, no one will. But separating their addled and annoyingly lecherous dad from his new love will prove to be no easy feat - Valentina is a ruthless pro and the two sisters swiftly realize that they are mere amateurs when it comes to ruthlessness.

As Hurricane Valentina turns the family house upside down, old secrets come falling out, including the most deeply buried one of them all, from the War, the one that explains much about why Nadazhda and Vera are so different. In the meantime, oblivious to it all, their father carries on with the great work of his dotage, a grand history of the tractor. (from Amazon)

Thoughts: Putting my tin hat on before we starry because I think this will be seriously unpopular but here goes...

Waste of time. Complete waste of a premise and doesn't really deliver on a promise of buried family secrets. Ok, there's one and it's a doozy, but the book jacket promises a delve into secrets, which is why I kept reading in the hope these would be interesting and hold my attention. Shouldn't really have bothered.

Ok, let's go back to the beginning. The book starts off well, with a Ukrainian 30something barrelling into the lives of Vera and Nadezhda as she seeks to obtain a visa by marrying their 80 something, recently widowed father. She is a larger than life character, which works very well because the rest of the characters aren't like that at all. The two sisters conspire to break them before the marriage, and seek her deportation once the father goes through with it.

So far, so good. And the the story begins to unravel. It's repetitive, it's slow, it failed completely to hold my attention. I didn't find it particularly funny, just a bit sad, in that an elderly man can be manipulated and treated so badly (admittedly, I probably have seen too much of that first hand to find it funny).

The secret was revealed, but otherwise the ending was a very damp squib. And the interludes, whichever ere chapters of the father's book, means I know more about the history of tractors than I ever wanted to know...

Just didn't do it for me at all.

2/5

#3 And The There Were None by Agatha Christie

Synopsis: Ten strangers, apparently with little in common, are lured to an island mansion off the coast of Devon by the mysterious U.N.Owen. Over dinner, a record begins to play, and the voice of an unseen host accuses each person of hiding a guilty secret. That evening, former reckless driver Tony Marston is found murdered by a deadly dose of cyanide.

The tension escalates as the survivors realise the killer is not only among them but is preparing to strike again… and again…

Thoughts: I read this for the English Counties Challenge, but someday I would like to complete the entire catalogue of Christie works.

This is one of her stronger tales, in my opinion. I'm not sure how much it reflects Devon, given it's set on an isolated island off the coast, but it's a fantastic mystery. I got half the solution but not the full one - I was miles away - even though as the story progresses you think the solution must get easier and be within your grasp!

I love Christie's ability to tell a tangled tale that actually has an extremely logical solution - once revealed! - and to really put the reader in the time and place of the story. Her pacing is sometimes frustrating - different character discussing the same points for several pages - but I always race to the end, desperate for the reveal.

Really good.

4/5

Welcome home, Alex.   Did you have a good time?  I saw one of your pics and it looked lovely.  :)

My Mum didn't like Tractor book either, so I didn't bother borrowing it from her.

Great, thank you :) muscles ache a bit though :D

My Mum warned me against Tractor but I ignored her. She hasn't refrained from telling me that's he told me so!!

My Mum warned me against Tractor but I ignored her. She hasn't refrained from telling me that's he told me so!!

:D  Mums are usually right!

Although we don't agree on everything (she doesn't like Jane Austen!  :o  ) but we do have pretty similar reading tastes. 

Oh, I bought A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian in a charity shop, when a (unknown) woman did mention that it was a good read  :dunno: . Marmite book, it seems. Maybe the unknown woman was Marina Lewycka in the Red Cross shop that day.... :giggle2: . I will have to read this book this year sometime. 

I think Brian and James enjoyed it, so you may find it to your taste too Marie! I hope so anyway.

Thanks Alexi, it definitely brings out different opinions, at least  :smile: .

#4 Making Sense of the Troubles by David McKittrick and David McVea

Synopsis: First published ten years ago, Making Sense of the Troubles is widely regarded as the most 'comprehensive, considered and compassionate' (Irish Times) history of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Written by a distinguished journalist and a teacher of history in Northern Ireland, it surveys the roots of the problems from 1921 onwards, the descent into violence in the late 60s, and the three terrible decades that followed. McKittrick and McVea have now fully updated the book to take into account the momentous events of the last ten years, including the disbanding of the IRA, Ian Paisley's deal with the Republicans and the historic power-sharing government in Belfast. (from Amazon)

Thoughts: This is the second book on the history of Northern Ireland I have read in the last 12 months. I find it incredible that as children (or at least, when I was at high school) they banged on and on about the Tudors but didn't tell us history was being made in the UK! I was doing my A levels in 2004 when some of the historic deal brokering was going on, and I knew little about it (although I do remember Gerry Adams being on the news quite a lot and not really understanding why).

I grew up in Manchester, and therefore (understandably I think) the IRA were synonymous with evil. I'm old enough to remember the bomb in Central Manchester in the 1990s and the devastation it caused (my Mum was in the area at the time). We are also not far from Warrington, where the two children were killed.

But we were never, ever told about the whys and wherefores, and how history and politics had developed. I've begun educating myself, because I made friends with a lot of Northern Irish at university and I couldn't imagine the world they had grown up in.

Back to the book then, and I think this is an excellent, accessible text on the troubles. It focuses on themes, and the timeline of events. There are plenty off facts in the book but understanding the causes of feelings and events is the main purpose of the text rather than a bombardment of figures and dates. The numbers killed are always mentioned, because it is so important to recognise the suffering and fear that went on, particularly at key points in the last 50 years or so.

The writing style is smooth and flowing, and the authors guide you seamlessly from the 1960s through to the present day.

There is little blame attached to either side, at least not overtly. Last year I read a history of the IRA, and I thought although the author made concessions to them it was easy to see he disapproved of them. These authors clearly abhor violence, but the violence on both sides is depicted in the same manner.

I'd definitely recommend this text, and I think I shall now go and read more on specific events in the troubles to deepen my knowledge.

4/5

#5 An Awfully Big Adventure by Beryl Bainbridge

Synopsis: It is 1950 and the Liverpool reporatory theatre company is rehearsing its Christmas production of Peter Pan, a story of childhood innocence and loss. Stella has been taken on as assistant stage manager and quickly becomes obsessed with Meredith, the dissolute director. But it is only when the celebrated O'Hara arrives to take the lead, that a different drama unfolds. In it, he and Stella are bound together in a past that neither dares to interpret. (From Amazon) 

Thoughts: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. 

I would have long since abandoned this book were it not for the Counties Challenge. It took me 5 long days to get through, despite being a mere 198 pages long, and I can find little to redeem it. 

Until O'Hara arrives (well over halfway in!), there is little to tempt the reader in terms of plot. The writing style rather overeggs the pudding at times with the descriptions, and it's difficult to see where exactly the story is going. 

We are introduced to Stella, a 16-year-old girl living with her aunt and uncle in working class post-war Liverpool. Concerned her only career choice is Woolworths, her Uncle Vernon gets her a place at the local theatre. 

She becomes infatuated with the director, Meredith, which is evidently a doomed love from the beginning. Then come endless descriptions of rehearsals and performances with little indication of any significance to a paper thin plot. 

Stella is a difficult character, which makes her difficult to root for at certain points in the story, and the supporting cast are rather vacuous individuals. 

The story does improve marginally towards the end, but it's too little, too late for me I'm afraid. 

MAJOR SPOILER BENEATH THE TAGS. 

And the revelation that O'Hara, who she has been sleeping with, is her father becomes obvious before the reveal, which means having to read about the sex leaves rather a nasty taste in the mouth.

Still, two positives. 

a) One more book completed for English Counties Challenge

b) I took it out of the library, so at least didn't waste any money on it!

I think this may be the first time ever I have stuck with a book that merits just a single mark, but records are there to be broken as they do say. 

1/5

Oh dear, Alex!  :giggle:

I quite enjoyed it when I read it, although it wasn't very memorable and before I read your review I could only remember that...

Big spoiler - don't read if you're going to read the book

Her mother was the speaking clock. I thought that was quite clever with the "mother said her usual thing" (or similar) - I hadn't cottoned on to that.

I wasn't necessarily planning to reread this for my challenge (I gave my copy to a charity shop) - I might look for an alternative! 

I hope the next book is more satisfactory.  :friends3:

Sounds like one to avoid then! I read the spoiler (because I don't have any intention of reading the book), and.......ewwwwww! :o

My thoughts exactly! Not nice at all.

Oh dear, Alex!  :giggle:

I quite enjoyed it when I read it, although it wasn't very memorable and before I read your review I could only remember that...

Big spoiler - don't read if you're going to read the book

Her mother was the speaking clock. I thought that was quite clever with the "mother said her usual thing" (or similar) - I hadn't cottoned on to that.

I wasn't necessarily planning to reread this for my challenge (I gave my copy to a charity shop) - I might look for an alternative! 

I hope the next book is more satisfactory.  :friends3:

Yes, I enjoyed the bit in your spoiler, I hadn't worked that bit out :) I think my next one will be Pride and Prejudice for the challenge, but I might not get around to it for a while. I've been on holiday during January so had more reading time - back to work now!

I'm now reading The Line of Beauty for the reading circle. :)

I would normally say read it and find out but I don't feel I can in this case! :giggle:

Hahaha oh dear. My sense of curiosity may well get the better of me though. I'm not putting it on my wishlist, that way I might forget about it!

Also, I hope you enjoy The Line Of Beauty. I need to dig out my copy of it and get reading. (Bought it about 2 years ago for a euro in a charity shop, never got around to reading it!)

• 2 weeks later...

I did enjoy The Line of Beauty. Most of my thoughts are in the Reading Circle thread, but I rated it a 3/5. It lost points for being over long (I thought it could have been condensed because it did feel a bit repetitive in places) and the pacing was a bit too slow at times. 

I really enjoyed the last part of the book when the pacing picked up - although none of the characters are very likeable!  :giggle2:

I finished that on Friday, so I read 6 books in January. Getting less reading time now, though. :(