LauraLoves Reads 2014

lauraloves

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laura your TBR pile made me feel dizzy. A big thumbs up for the Jane Austens & Notes On A Scandal, i loved the book & the movie. Also Birdsong, Marley & Me ,The Hunger Games & Catch 22 are all great reads so your right to prioritise them. I spotted Shift  Hugh Howey as well, i liked it but not as much as Wool so i look forward to hearing your thoughts on it .

Happy reading in 2014 Laura  :D

Laura

May I wish you a terrific reading year coming up. You certainly have a nice stack of books to choose from !

Thank you . . . well its safe to say I'm not going to run out of books this year!

Happy Reading Laura :)

You have an impressive TBR! I am trying to reduce mine (ok, keep it constant if nothing else!) but I am also quite jealous of the size of yours! Not sure how that works...

Looks like you have some ace reads ahead.

Thank you. I hope you manage to reduce your TBR I do keep trying with mine but it just seems to multiply when I'm not looking!

You have some great books on your TBR! I could list all the ones I really liked, but it'd take a bit of time :giggle2:. I hope you have a great reading year in 2014 :)!

hehe Well I'm definitely not going to get bored! Happy reading to you in 2014 too :D

Goodness, that's a big list of books on your TBR pile! :thud:

Hehe thank you, Hopefully this year it will go down and not up! hehe

Monica Ali - Brick Lane: I really wanted to enjoy this, as it's exactly the kind of book I would like but for some reason I just didn't connect with it and couldn't even finish it. I really want to read this but something does keep putting me off!

Margaret Atwood - The Blind Assassin: One of Atwood's best books, IMO...the other great one of hers is Alias Grace I've not read any of hers yet, but I do plan on doing so this year!

Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves: Good luck with this one! It's very interesting to look at, but mighty difficult to read. Its another one that I want to read but keep putting off!

Patrick Dewitt - The Sisters Brothers: Read it earlier this year, and loved it. I think it's one of the best books I've read in the year. I downloaded this in the kindle sale last year and really need to read it!

Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth: One of my favorites. I really hope you like it as much as I did. I hope I do too :)

Alex Garland - The Beach: Another good one....much better than the film. I've not seen the film so hopefully thats a good thing!

Richard Herley - The Penal Colony : A really good Kindle freebie (though it doesn't look like it's free anymore) I got this one when it was free and still havent got around to it!

Zadie Smith - White Teeth: Loved this book, but couldn't get into her other ones. This is one of the ones that has been on my TBR for the longest so I do need to read it this year!

Tom Rob Smith - Child 44: One of the better books of the genre. I don't normally read to much of this genre so hopefully I'll enjoy it :)

Stephen King - IT: Another one of my faves. It's a long read but well worth it! I hope I love it too :)

Happy reading in 2014! :smile:Same to you :D

Wow! Good luck Laura

Thank you, I'm going to need it! hehe

Yikes! You have a great TBR mount there  . Good reading in 2014

Thank you, happy reading to you too :D

Laura your TBR pile made me feel dizzy. A big thumbs up for the Jane Austens & Notes On A Scandal, i loved the book & the movie. Also Birdsong, Marley & Me ,The Hunger Games & Catch 22 are all great reads so your right to prioritise them. I spotted Shift  Hugh Howey as well, i liked it but not as much as Wool so i look forward to hearing your thoughts on it .

Happy reading in 2014 Laura 

It makes me feel dizzy too when I look at it! All the books youve listed are ones that I really want to read this year so hopefully I'll get round to them. Happy reading to you too :D

Good Luck with your TBR ! :D

Looking at it, I had a few ` me too`s ` - I must get to the Time Traveller`s Wife at some point as well.

Happy Reading in 2014 ! :smile:

Thank you :) Same to you :D

Happy reading in 2014! I have a few of those books on my wish list/tbr piles.

Thank you :) Have a great reading year :)

#1 - Driver do you Stop at the Station? James Henry

51mVrMrxi9L._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

Started - 2013

Finished - 04/01/2013

Format - Kindle e-book

Synopsis - A witty and amusing look behind the scenes of becoming a bus driver. Follow Jimmy’s journal journey from interview though medical, training and finally to bus driver asking old ladies if buying a return ticket to the cemetery was really a good idea!

This book started of as a blog. Stop rolling your eyes skyward, it was one of the popular ones. Not one of those boring journals flooding the internet to limited interest audiences. I was 48 redundant and had applied to be a bus driver. I decided to share my experiences both funny and sad with you.
I called it 'Driving a bus' because it was about driving a bus. With me so far?

There were two routes I could take (pun not intended) one was the gritty real life exposé and the other a causal relaxed look behind the scenes of the transport industry. I chose the latter because I wanted to keep my job but there are still some good bits. I will take you through the interview with a manager a third of my age, an embarrassing medical and the joys of trying not to crash a 12 ton coach. Later we meet the general public and all that brings. Enjoy five years worth of mayhem.
Oh yes, it’s not for children.

Special thanks to you the general public without whom this book would be blank pages, also my wife Karen because I might get my leg over if she likes it.
I have changed some names to protect the guilty and to get out of having to pay people money.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book for my kindle back in 2012 when it was free. This book is the product of a real life bus driver who started off writing a blog about his travels. Now I have read a few books like this that haven't been too good how this book was fantastic. It was so funny in places and I was laughing out loud in places.

The book starts with James Henry going through his interview stage, his basic training and then his first couple of years in the job. It was well written and grouped together by category, like different types of customers and routes.

It was quite a long book too so it did keep my attention for a while. I've just looked on Amazon and its no longer free its £1.99 but I'd happily pay for it!

A very funny book, highly recommended.

Rating - 4/5

Well I've had a bit of a crisis with all of my books. When I moved in with the fiance I brought all my books with me (obviously :P ). At the minute we are living in two static caravans as we are going to build ourselves a house on the farm. I had to put all my books in the 'storage caravan' which is the one that all of the not day to day stuff is and my office is too. Now when I went to get another book out yesterday I realised all my books are getting damp and ruined :( Had a bit of a crisis and had to move all my books across to the main farm house in the afternoon so now all my books are all boxed up again :( Theres nothing else I can really do with them as we just don't have enough space to keep them in the main caravan. A little bit gutted but it means that my books are going to stay nice!

So what I've had to do is bring a few books back with me for the time being so that I don't end up having to keep going over everytime I want a new book and I'm going to tackle my TBR that way!

Sooooo . . . .

Reading plan #1 2014

• New Moon - Stephenie Meyer
  • Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer
  • Sniper One - SGT Dan Mills
  • Room - Emma Donoghue 01.02.14
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole - Sue Townsend
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
  • White Teeth - Zadie Smith
  • The Clothes on Their Backs - Linda Grant
  • Labyrinth - Kate Mosse
  • The Stonhenge Legacy - Sam Christer 18.01.14
  • Wind Orchid - Benjamin Jacob
  • Across A Moonlit Sea - Marsha Canham
  • A Game of Thrones - George R R Martin
  • The Iliad - Homer
  • The Crew - Dougie Brimson
  • Bound - Kira Saito
  • One o'clock Jump - Lisa McClendon
  • Tales Out of School - Shirley Ann Howard
  • Harry Putter and the Chamber of Cheesecakes - Timothy R O Doughne 29.01.14
  • G-Sale - Randy Nargi 21.01.14

Its only a rough plan but I hope to read a fair few of these by April-May time!

Edited by lauraloves

Laura

I'm sorry you had to move all your books, but glad you found the problem when you did . What if you wouldn't have seen it for a few months or so ? They may have all been ruined completely . Maybe having small stacks at a time will help you to chop down your pile quicker that way .

The Bus driver book you recommended sounded really cute !

Just keep focusing on that new house Laura with all the lovely bookshelves which I have no doubt you're planning to incorporate :D As Julie said you have noticed the problem in good time and moved the books to safety so big pat on the back. Choosing a few books at a time will help you stay disciplined and you'll probably put more thought into which books to choose .. think of it as .. you're off to boarding school and you need to pack your reading books for the term (put them in a suitcase if it'll help with the visuals :D) It's exciting really ... and you have that lovely house to look forward to.

I lived in a caravan for a short while before we moved in here .. it was only briefly really but I found it quite relaxing not to have so much stuff about me. The caravan had them cute little shelves that caravans do and the owner had put some books on them .. all very well and good but I shoved them in a drawer and put my own out  :smile2:  I put all their little knick knacks away as well ... more room for my books :D

Keep snug in your caravan :smile: Happy New Year and Happy Reading in 2014! 

Laura

I'm sorry you had to move all your books, but glad you found the problem when you did . What if you wouldn't have seen it for a few months or so ? They may have all been ruined completely . Maybe having small stacks at a time will help you to chop down your pile quicker that way .

The Bus driver book you recommended sounded really cute !

I'm so pleased that I did find the problem quickly and also that I've got a new home for them! I have to say though I have a few stacked by the bed and this is spurring me on to read these few to start with!

Just keep focusing on that new house Laura with all the lovely bookshelves which I have no doubt you're planning to incorporate :D As Julie said you have noticed the problem in good time and moved the books to safety so big pat on the back. Choosing a few books at a time will help you stay disciplined and you'll probably put more thought into which books to choose .. think of it as .. you're off to boarding school and you need to pack your reading books for the term (put them in a suitcase if it'll help with the visuals :D) It's exciting really ... and you have that lovely house to look forward to.

I lived in a caravan for a short while before we moved in here .. it was only briefly really but I found it quite relaxing not to have so much stuff about me. The caravan had them cute little shelves that caravans do and the owner had put some books on them .. all very well and good but I shoved them in a drawer and put my own out  :smile2:  I put all their little knick knacks away as well ... more room for my books :D

Keep snug in your caravan :smile: Happy New Year and Happy Reading in 2014! 

Thank you! I do love my little caravan but at times with the lack of space it does get very stressful! I have to say we dont have all that much clutter as we dont have the space for it! We are building an office but in reality its going to be my library which I am so looking forward to filling with all my books!

I do have a few books on the shelves in the caravan but I have to share with all the DVDs and games too!

Happy New Year and Reading to you too :D

I'm so glad you discovered the caravan book problem in time! It's not nice though that you have to be apart from your books for a while, but hopefully in the end it will have been worth it :). When do you expect to be able to move into the house?

I'm so glad you discovered the caravan book problem in time! It's not nice though that you have to be apart from your books for a while, but hopefully in the end it will have been worth it :). When do you expect to be able to move into the house?

I dont like to be apart from them hehe (is that a little weird? :P ) but I'm glad I can store them in the house. Our house wont be ready until around this time next year we think to live in properly but hopefully it will all be up by around October of this year!