LauraLoves Reads 2014

lauraloves

#2 - The Stonehenge Legacy - Sam Christer

9106984.jpg

Started - 04/01/2014

Finished - 18/01/14

Format - Paperback Book

Year Acquired - 2011

Synopsis - Eight days before the summer solstice, a man is butchered in a blood-freezing sacrifice on the ancient site of Stonehenge before a congregation of robed worshippers. Within hours, one of the world's foremost treasure hunters has shot himself in his country mansion. And to his estranged son, young archaeologist Gideon Chase, he leaves a cryptic letter . . .

Teaming up with an intrepid Wiltshire policewoman, Gideon soon exposes a secret society - an ancient international legion devoted for thousands of years to Stonehenge. With a charismatic and ruthless new leader at the helm, the cult is now performing ritual human sacrifices in a terrifying bid to unlock the secret of the stones.

Packed with codes, symbology, relentless suspense, and fascinating detail about the history of one of the world's most mysterious places, The Stonehenge Legacy is a blockbuster thriller to rival the very best of Dan Brown.

My Thoughts - I brought this book a couple of years ago as the synopsis sounded really interesting. This book is about Gideon Chase who after the shock death of his father is left his house and all his belongings. Amongst these possessions are diaries chronological in order from when he was a young man right up until the point he took his own life. What is more strange about it is that its all written in code. 

Also in this book is Megan, A detective with the police who has something to prove within the force while looking after her young daughter Sammy, Caitlynn Lock, a celebrity that longs for normality and Jake who meets the girl of his dreams. All these people become connected through one event that threatens to change how people see the world.

I really liked the layout of the book as it was put in several short chapters (over 100) and told through various different points of view. It was very easy to follow and also i thought added a lot to the story. This book was absolutely packed full of twists and turns and at times I had to re-read parts as I just couldn't guess what was going to happen next in the story. 

I really liked the more technical aspect to the book about the history of Stonehenge and how the mystery to this day still surrounds how it was built. This book is along the same veins as a Dan Brown book and I have to say I really really enjoyed it.

This is the first book that I have by this author and I also have The Camelot Code on my TBR. I really cant wait to read the next book by this author and I hope its just as good.

A really fantastic read.

Rating - 5/5

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, Laura! I haven't read a conspiracy thriller in quite a while but I went through a phase of them when I was a bit younger - I like the sound of this a lot so I'm gonna look it up at some stage!

Thank you :) I read a fair few a few years ago but getting back into them now! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did if you do read it :D

This book sounds intruiging! Great review, I'm glad you liked it :).

Thank you, I loved it :D

So I went food shopping today (which I hate but but its got to be done!) and ended up buying two books!

I got Lost City of the Templars by Paul Christopher - The latest rip-roaring adventure thriller from Paul Christopher featuring John Holliday and his search for the Templar Order.

Retired Army Ranger turned historian John Holliday has thwarted the plots of Rex Deus, the twenty-first-century incarnation of the Templars, all over the world. Now, the lost journal of explorer Percy Fawcett leads Holliday deep into the South American jungles on a quest to uncover the greatest mystery of the Middle Ages ...

Trailed by an infamous tomb raider and menaced by a tribe of hostile natives, Holliday and his crew uncover a five-hundred-year-old society hidden in the cauldron of the Amazon. Descendants of the Templar Knights, they exist for one reason: to hide and protect the holy artefact taken from the original Temple of Jerusalem by the first Templars: the legendary Ark of the Covenant. Will Holliday's obsession with the truth finally kill him?

I've just had a look on Amazon and this is number 8 of a series but the book didnt say anything about this on the back! I hate it when that happens!

I also brought Three Brave Women by Elizabeth Waite.

Linked through marriage to three brothers, the Underwood women prove time and again that they are a force to be reckoned with.

Jodie has travelled a hard road to reach her own prosperity, despite her husband's constant unreliability. Yet she can't bring herself to fully sever ties with John. But now with a potential new love waiting nearby, Jodie must make a decision she has been avoiding for too long.

Widowed at a young age, Lariane believes her marriage to Rick was perfect. He also left behind twin daughters, but is Lariane sacrificing their future happiness by looking for perfection? Will another man ever be good enough to fill Rick's shoes?

Dee has everything she ever wanted: a husband she adores and a beautiful little girl. But she knows that her family's happiness is founded on half-truths. How long before she must come clean with those she holds most dear?

I've just had a look on Amazon and this is number 8 of a series but the book didnt say anything about this on the back! I hate it when that happens!

So annoying! It's happened to me recently too. Possibly it can stand alone though too .. hope so anyway :hug: 

So annoying! It's happened to me recently too. Possibly it can stand alone though too .. hope so anyway :hug: 

Its very annoying hehe! I'm going to start reading mine but if it doesnt make much sense ill have to give it up and start with the beginning of the series! :)

#3 - G-Sale - Randy Nargi

GS_book.jpg

Started - 18/01/2014

Finished - 21/01/2014

Format - Kindle e-book

Year Acquired - 2012

Synopsis - Based on the award-winning indie comedy film G-SALE.

Bogwood, Washington is a pleasant suburban community with a special distinction--it has more garages per capita than any other town in America. Not surprisingly, Bogwood is also the "Garage Sale Capital of the U.S.A."

When retirees Doris & Clayton Fenwick decide to empty their nest of retro-modern antiques, they set the wheels in motion for a frantically funny "g-sale" involving Bogwood's most avid garage sale junkies: Angela Cocci (an obsessive market researcher), Ed LaSalle (a beleaguered computer programmer and creator of the cult fantasy roleplaying game "Caves & Beasts"), Dick Nickerson (a retired star of the 60s sitcom Pot o' Gold), and BJ Harwood & Helen Ziegler (partners and owners of a trendy retro-modern antique store).

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as it was free on the Kindle store back in 2012. It had a interesting synopsis at the time and I thought it could be quite interesting. Its about G-sales, or garage sales, or as they are more common over here in the UK Car Boot Sales. Now while the synopsis of the book was quite interesting the actual book was not very good at all.

It has several different characters, Doris and Clayton Fenwick (who are selling most of there possessions off to move into a condo), there son who had been in prison for something that is never revealed, Angela (a woman who wants to give up her job and spend more time with her dog and garage sales) and several others.

I didn't really identify at all with any of the characters as it switched about between all the characters so much it was hard to actually understand where they were all coming from. The characters were all brought together through there love of g-sales and a particularly rare game that they were all searching for.

It also ended very quickly and I dont think things were explained very well. This is the first in a series so maybe things will be explained in the next book but I for one wont be reading to find out.

It was a free book and quite short so I will say that those were the positives. Not a book that I enjoyed at all. I did keep on reading hoping it was getting better but sadly it did not.

Rating - 1/5

It's a bumper to have a disappointing read. My second book of the year was terrible.  It looks like you've got some good ones on your reading plan, though.  I will be looking forward to your thoughts about Game of Thrones. I've been thinking about reading it also because I enjoy the t.v. series. 

Happy reading.

Laura

Sorry you didn't like your last book. That can be a bummer ,can't it ? I'm finding that several free Kindle books I got were worth what I paid for them, although once in awhile I find one I enjoy . Hope your next read is better .

It's a bumper to have a disappointing read. My second book of the year was terrible.  It looks like you've got some good ones on your reading plan, though.  I will be looking forward to your thoughts about Game of Thrones. I've been thinking about reading it also because I enjoy the t.v. series. 

Happy reading.

I hate having disappointing reads and I also don't like having to say horrible things about the books that I don't like, but at the time time I wont say I liked a book if I didn't! I haven't really seen the Game of Thrones TV show, my boyfriend watches it but I want to read the book first! I am a little put off by the size of it though!

Laura

Sorry you didn't like your last book. That can be a bummer ,can't it ? I'm finding that several free Kindle books I got were worth what I paid for them, although once in awhile I find one I enjoy . Hope your next read is better .

I'm the same with the Kindle freebies! You have to really go through them to find one that you might like! But I've also found some fantastic books that I wouldn't have necessarily read if it hadn't have been free and then paid for some of the authors other books!

Congrats on your new books! I also find it annoying that the book itself doesn't tell you it's part of a series. Ideally I'd have this information on the spine of the book, or at least on the back or the inside of the book. I've come home often with a book that I didn't realise was part X of a series. Sorry to hear the free book wasn't your thing. One to avoid, then! I hope your next read will be better :).

Thats one thing i love about robin hobb, series information is on the cover, side of spine and inside of book.

Very true !

Best if you can get a free book by an untried author . Much less expensive if you don't buy them and find you really don't like them .

Exactly! And if im not sure about a book after I read it I'm not too fussed if i didnt pay for it :)

Congrats on your new books! I also find it annoying that the book itself doesn't tell you it's part of a series. Ideally I'd have this information on the spine of the book, or at least on the back or the inside of the book. I've come home often with a book that I didn't realise was part X of a series. Sorry to hear the free book wasn't your thing. One to avoid, then! I hope your next read will be better :).

Thank you :) I'd love it to be on the back of the book right where the blurb starts so that you know right away if its part of a series! I'm loving the book I'm reading at the minute its City of Ashes and I think I've found a new series that I am really loving!

Thats one thing i love about robin hobb, series information is on the cover, side of spine and inside of book.

Thats a really good idea! I wish all books were like this! :)

So I downloaded yet another book to my Kindle. In my defence it was free!

The Half-Life of Hannah by Nick Alexander - "If your first love came back to offer you everything you ever dreamed of, what would you do? "

Hannah is thirty-eight and the happily married mother of eleven-year-old Luke, the diamond in her world. Her marriage is reassuringly stable, and after fifteen years she has managed to push the wild dreams of youth from her mind and concentrate on the everyday satisfactions of here and now. The first half of her life hasn’t been as exciting as she had hoped, but then, she reckons, whose has?

When she succeeds in convincing husband Cliff to rent a villa in the south of France for a summer vacation with her sister Jill and gay friend Tristan, she’s expecting little more than a pleasant few weeks with her family.
But they each have their own baggage – their own secrets – ready to explode on this not-so-relaxing holiday in France.
When a phone call at the villa announces the imminent arrival of a ghost from her past, the ambiance is transformed into a raging sea of jealousy as Hannah is forced to question everything she thought she knew and believed.

But is she brave enough to take the life-changing decisions her future happiness requires?

#4 - City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare

City_of_Ashes.jpg

Started - 21/01/14

Finished - 28/01/14

Format - Paperback Book

Year Acquired - 2013

PLEASE NOTE THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES!

Synopsis - With her mother in a coma and her father hell-bent on destroying the world, Clary is dragged deeper into New York’s terrifying underworld of werewolves, demons and the mysterious Shadowhunters. Discovering the truth about her past was only the beginning, now Clary must save the world from her own father – the rogue Shadowhunter Valentine. With two of the Mortal Instruments at his command, Valentine is assembling an army of demons to wage war on the council of Shadowhunters and destroy them once and for all. As the battle begins, Clary must face her darkest fears – and come to terms with her feelings for a boy she wishes wasn’t her brother.

My Thoughts - I read the first book in the series in December and I really really loved it so I was hoping that this book was as good and I have to say I wasn't disappointed!

This book picks up where the last book left off. Clary is still in rather a lot of shock from the realisation that her father is trying to destroy the world, she has a brother Jace, who up until a couple of months ago she trying to decide to date or not, Simon the mundane who Clary is now dating. There is also the fact that her mother is in a coma in hospital, her step-dad is a werewolf and Shadowhunters are still in her life.

The character of Jace is developed a lot more throughout this book and it is explained more his background and character. His father Valentine is drawn to him a lot in this book and Jace makes a lot of bad decisions but a lot of this can be contributed to him wanting to please his father but at the same time wanting to protect his friends.

Simon had quite a big part in this book and his whole relationship with Clary was explored. He is no longer a mundane in this book he becomes something else and I think this makes him feel more a part of the group. He is still in love with Clary doesn't really love him which in a way is very sad.

There is a lot of story building in this book too and it was left on a massive cliff hanger. I want to pick up the next book immediately but I want to draw the story out too. This is an absolutely amazing book series and one that is fast becoming one of my favorite book series of all time.

I am not 100% sure if Jace and Clary are indeed blood brother and sister. There is just a few parts of the book that have left me wondering. I'm sure I'll find out in the other books and I might be wrong but there is something there that I cant quite put my finger on it.

An amazing book, better than the first book if that is possible!

Rating - 5/5

A great review Laura, so glad that you are enjoying the series so much. I have read all of them to date and have felt that each book offers something different from the last while exploring and expanding the characters and their relationships. I can't wait to read your reviews of the later books!

The sixth and last book in the series, 'City Of Heavenly Fire' is out in May this year and I thought I would re read the series in between other books in the run up to then , but having read the first one over the weekend I have felt compelled to read on, so am currently on Book Three, 'City Of Glass'. :D

A great review Laura, so glad that you are enjoying the series so much. I have read all of them to date and have felt that each book offers something different from the last while exploring and expanding the characters and their relationships. I can't wait to read your reviews of the later books!

The sixth and last book in the series, 'City Of Heavenly Fire' is out in May this year and I thought I would re read the series in between other books in the run up to then , but having read the first one over the weekend I have felt compelled to read on, so am currently on Book Three, 'City Of Glass'. :D

Thank you! :D My overall plan is to read all of them by the time the last book comes out and read that one near enough straight away! I cant believe that I didn't come across this series sooner! Glad that you enjoy it too :)

The Half-Life Of Hannah sounds like it could be a fun read, but it would have to be well written, so it could also be terrible lol! I'm curious though so I might check it out!

I think its definitely going to be a Marmite book! hehe! It does sound very good though :_

Glad you are enjoying the Mortal Instruments ~ great review :)

Thank you :D I'm loving the series :D

I'm glad you're enjoying the Mortal Instruments series! I didn't read all of the review because of spoilers. Do you know if the 6th book is the last?

Thank you :) I'm pretty sure that it is, I want to read the first five before this one comes out and then read the 6th straight away :)