LauraLoves Reads 2014

lauraloves

#5 - Harry Putter and the Chamber of Cheesecakes by Timothy R O'Donnell

266210.jpg

Started - 28/01/14

Finished - 29/01/14

Format - Kindle e-book

Year Acquired - 2012

Synopsis - "The Chamber of Cheesecakes has been opened. Dieters Beware!" reads the sinister warning in this hysterical parody of J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. In this farce all of your favorite Harry Potter characters, places, and past events have been twisted around with devilish wit. You'll follow the adventures of Harry Putter, Ron Cheesley, and Hermione Stranger in their sixth year at school, seventh if you count preschool. While some of the encounters are spoofs reminiscent of the original tales, others are new, keeping the storyline fresh and unpredictable. If you like the original Harry Potter series, you'll love this crazy parody.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book back in 2012 as I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter series and thought that this could be a really funny book. I read some reviews on Amazon and they all sounded positive so I downloaded the book. Unfortunately its got to be one of the worst books I've ever read. All of the stuff to do with the original Harry Potter series is totally twisted. I know that this is a parody and I have read HP parodies before online and they havent been too bad but this one is not good at all.

It makes Harry out to be someone who bullies people like the Dursleys, or Dirtleys as they are referred to in this book, that he is a troublemaker and not someone that anyone wants to be around. I struggled so much with this book I really wanted to like it but it was just so awful it was hard too.

I had a look on Goodreads about this book and it seems that its a very Marmite book, either it has 1 star or 5 star reviews not a lot in between and I have to say I am firmly in the camp of 1 star, I just didnt like it at all and was quite disappointed by it.

Rating - 1/5

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#6 - Room - Emma Donoghue

roomstory_1688207f.jpg

Started - 29/01/14

Finished - 01/02/14

Format - Paperback Book

Year Acquired - 2011

Synopsis - A number-one bestseller, Room was published in 2010 to ecstatic reviews around the world and quickly became a word-of-mouth sensation. It has won or been shortlisted for more than a dozen awards (including shortlistings for both the Man Booker Prize and the Orange Prize) and has sold more than a million copies. Room is the story of Ma and Jack. They live in a single, locked room. Five-year-old Jack loves watching TV, but he knows that nothing he sees on the screen is truly real – only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits there’s a world outside . . .

My Thoughts - I've had this book sat on my TBR shelf for ages and although I had heard many good things about it I had been putting off reading it just incase I didnt like it as much as what I wanted too. This book is told through the eyes of five year old Jack who lives with his mum in Room. In it he describes his day to day life with such childhood naivety but in it you get insights on what it was actually like being held in one little room by 'Old Nick'

The story is split into five chapters, and there is an awful lot about the number five in this book which is deliberate I'm sure. What I really liked was the story of the Room, the escape and how that happened and living in the world outside.

This is an absolute fantastically well written book. I just couldnt put it down once I had picked it up and I spent one evening reading most of it in one sitting.

This is a book that will stay with me for a very long time and if you havent read it yet do. It is absolutely fantastic.

Rating - 5/5

Edited by lauraloves

roomstory_1688207f.jpg

Started - 29/01/14

Finished - 01/02/14

Format - Paperback Book

Year Acquired - 2011

Synopsis - A number-one bestseller, Room was published in 2010 to ecstatic reviews around the world and quickly became a word-of-mouth sensation. It has won or been shortlisted for more than a dozen awards (including shortlistings for both the Man Booker Prize and the Orange Prize) and has sold more than a million copies. Room is the story of Ma and Jack. They live in a single, locked room. Five-year-old Jack loves watching TV, but he knows that nothing he sees on the screen is truly real – only him, Ma and the things in Room. Until the day Ma admits there’s a world outside . . .

My Thoughts - I've had this book sat on my TBR shelf for ages and although I had heard many good things about it I had been putting off reading it just incase I didnt like it as much as what I wanted too. This book is told through the eyes of five year old Jack who lives with his mum in Room. In it he describes his day to day life with such childhood naivety but in it you get insights on what it was actually like being held in one little room by 'Old Nick'

The story is split into five chapters, and there is an awful lot about the number five in this book which is deliberate I'm sure. What I really liked was the story of the Room, the escape and how that happened and living in the world outside.

This is an absolute fantastically well written book. I just couldnt put it down once I had picked it up and I spent one evening reading most of it in one sitting.

This is a book that will stay with me for a very long time and if you havent read it yet do. It is absolutely fantastic.

Rating - 5/5

I read this book last year I think and although the content of this novel is harrowing, I think the subject is brilliantly handled and is a very well written book. I'm glad you enjoyed this novel. Great Review!

Rating - 5/5

Good to hear that you loved Room - I thought it was so good,and it stays in you mind for a long time.  :yes:

I read this book last year I think and although the content of this novel is harrowing, I think the subject is brilliantly handled and is a very well written book. I'm glad you enjoyed this novel. Great Review!

It is indeed harrowing but very well handled. I dont think you actually hear all that much about the horrible abuse but just as Jack sees it.

Good to hear that you loved Room - I thought it was so good,and it stays in you mind for a long time.  :yes:

I think its one that everyone should read! :)

I must push this book up my tbr pile.

Yes do! Its fantastic! :D

Great review :)! The book is on my TBR, I should try and read it soon. Your review has made me al the more eager to read it :).

Do try to read it of you can its so good and the subject matter is handled brilliantly :D

It is an excellent book, I'm pretty sure I read it in either one or two sittings when I read it. I agree that despite the very difficult subject matter it is handled with great care. Well worth reading.

agree 100% with everything you said :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so while I was away I read

• Tales Out of School - by Shirley Ann Howard
  • More Confessions of a Bookseller - Robin Soma-Dudley

When I got back my mum said there were some books at hers waiting for me . . . Strange I thought as I hadnt ordered any but I had two from the publishers . . .

• God of Vengeance by Giles Kristian
  • Her Last Assassin by Victoria Lamb

And I'm now reading Live and Let Die by Ian Fleming.

Hopefully I'll get my thoughts up on the books that I have read today :D

#7 - Tales Out of School by Shirley Ann Howard

41Iii%2Bprx%2BL._AA160_.jpg

Started - 1/02/14

Finished - 12/02/14

Format - Kindle e-book

Year Acquired - 2012

Synopsis - TALES OUT OF SCHOOL features Sandra Scott, a first year English teacher in search of self and love in an unclear world. She faces the challenge of teaching reading, writing, and respect to a hundred fifty marginally receptive teenagers beset with issues of drugs, personal relations, and domestic abuse. She has a passionate relationship with her wealthy, sexy boyfriend, a Ph.D. candidate in biochemistry at Boston University. The intimacy they enjoy is precious and beautiful, yet fraught with many tensions as well. She has a very ill father and an opinionated mother. By teaching others Sandy learns to deal with her insecurity, her career, and the people in her life. Follow her through her tales of joy, misery, confusion, and adventure both in and out of school.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as it sounded really good and also a book that I would enjoy reading. Unfortunately I didn't really like it much which was a shame as it had a lot of promise. It tells the story of Sandra a teacher in a school in America. Now while the idea of the book was good, it just came across very dry and not that interesting. It was also a fairly long book and unfortunately i just couldn't keep my attention on it.

Rating - 2.5/5

#8 - More Confessions of a Bookseller - Robin Soma-Dudley

51ecRZpHSIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Started - 12/02/2014

Finished - 18/02/2014

Format - Kindle e-book

Year Acquired - 2012

Synopsis - The bookselling world seems to be treating Sally Myers well in the city of Baltimore. Much to her and all of those close to her surprise, Sally has been promoted to a Department Manager at Broken Spines. The promotion may be a welcomed distraction for Sally, whose boyfriend, ex-UPS Hottie now Math Teacher Hottie, Colin Fenton, doesn’t have as much time for Sally as she would like. Between, tutoring, mentoring and coaching, Colin has also succumbed to the will of her grandfather and taken a project involving the Henry Allen Myers Foundation. An opportunity that has Colin on the email contacts lists of dotcom millionaires, Secretary of Education, mayors and governors and the wife of the richest man in the world. She can’t help but wonder if he will still be interested in a Harry Potter obsessed, pop culture princess like herself.

My Thoughts - I downloaded this book as I thought it would be really interesting for me to read as I love books and bookshops. However this was a book that I really disliked. I struggled with the book as I couldnt get into it all. I did wonder if it was because it was a follow up book but I just struggled with it. Its a fiction book and I thought it would have been a non fiction one. Unfortunately I really did not like this book.

Rating - 1/5