Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2014

Little Pixie

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

apologies for not being on for ages, I've got a frozen shoulder. Am still buying books though and have ordered a full set of the henry tibbett books now. Hope everyone's okay and keeping warm.

Hey LP, hope it is better very soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, thanks so much everyone. :flowers2:

The physio says it`ll take 18months-2 years to sort out, but the pain should ease off after the first few months - and it`s been a real bother since the autumn, so hopefully  I`ll get to the `just stiffness` stage soon. It`s stooopidly awkward. Anyhoo, on with a (mini) blog.   :D

Book # 12     The Shape Stealer - Lee Carroll    TBR 741

Amazon Synopsis :

Garet James is the watchtower - the last in a long line of powerful women sworn to protect our world from evil...

She once defeated the malign sorcerer Dr Dee, but her pursuit of the man she loves - the centuries-old vampire Will Hughes - has unleashed another ages-old entity into our time - a being that threatens everything and everyone.

His name is Marduk and he is the descendant of a demonic Babylonian deity. Now abroad in Paris, he has sought out the villainous John Dee and they have hatched a plan together that will create chaos and ensure ruin.

And it will fall to Garet to confront this new threat. Around her she gathers a band of modern-day knights - a brotherhood dedicated to preserving the sanctity of the time-line. But there are others out there who would see Garet fail and who will stop at nothing to bring an end to everything she - and we - hold dear . . .

Loved the first one, was a but meh about the second one, but this one was awful. I really liked Carol Goodman`s work ( The Fairwick Chronicles - yummy ) but this was written with her husband... It`s uneven and feels like they couldn`t wait to finish it. It`s a great storyline - vampires and otherworldly creatures plus a time travel bureau - but the writing is mostly poor. The ending is rushed and the big final scene with the Baddie is just thrown away. A real disappointment.

Book # 13   Death on the Agenda by Patrica Moyes   TBR 740

GoodReads Synopsis :

Patricia Moyes mystery featuring Inspector Henry Tibbett. Henry & his wife travel to Switzerland for an international conference on drug smuggling. When an attendee is killed, the inspector is the prime suspect.

Henry gets framed for murder in a locked room mystery. Lovely descriptions of Geneva in the 1960`s and a decent mystery ; characters from the first novel in the Tibbett Series make a welcome return.

Book # 14 Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman   TBR 739

GoodReads Synopsis :

Rabbi David Small, the new leader of Barnard's Crossing's Jewish community, can't even enjoy his Sabbath without things getting stirred up in a most unorthodox manner: It seems a young nanny has been found strangled, less than a hundred yards from the Temple's parking lot -- and all the evidence points to the Rabbi. Add to that the not-so-quiet rumblings of his disgruntled congregation, and you might say our inimitable hero needs a miracle from a Higher Source to save him....

I wasn`t sure about this one at first ; the Rabbi Small character isn`t delineated much and you don`t feel like you`re on his side. As it goes on, you get pulled into the story and there are interesting bits about Judaism - plus, the ending is a cracker. It`s just that I didn`t get much of a feel for the main character. I`d read more of the series though, since the portrayal of a 1960`s Jewish community was good.

Book # 15          Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor      TBR 738

Amazon Synopsis :

Errand requiring immediate attention. Come.

The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things.

When Brimstone called, she always came.

In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.

Brilliant ! I wasn`t sure about the excerpt, but the story stayed with me, so I ordered it. I`m so glad that I did, `cos the writing became much better - lots of lines that you want to read again and a protagonist that you really feel for. Karou - 17 yr old art student in Prague - has a secret other life, which you slowly become aware of. There are mysteries hinted at, which don`t disappoint when they`re revealed. To say more would spoil.

Book # 16          Generous Death by Nancy Pickard      TBR 737

Amazon Excerpt : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generous-Death-Pickard-ebook/dp/B003YFJ1TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391965064&sr=8-1&keywords=pickard+death#_

Charity director in Port Frederick, Mass. investigates the murder of a wealthy benefactor. The writing is great fun - arch, mocking and reminding me at times of the playfulness of Raymond Chandler. I`ve ordered more in the series already.

Edited by Little Pixie

Books ordered......

Theban Mysteries - Amanda Cross   £1.74

The Body in the Kelp - Katherine Hall Page £2.81

A Six-letter Word for Death - Patricia Moyes £2.83

Who is Simon Warwick? - Patricia Moyes £2.82

Twice in a Blue Moon - Paricia Moyes £2.81

Angel Death - Patrica Moyes £3.64

Letters from Aldeburgh - Joyce Grenfell £2.81

Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One - Jim Butcher £1.97

My Kind of Magic - A Scrapbook - Joyce Grenfell £1.85

The Question of Max (Virago Crime)- Amanda Cross £2.80

The Future Falls - Tanya Huff pre-order £6.86

But I Wouldn't Want to Die There - Nancy Pickard £2.81

Writing a Woman's Life - Carolyn G.Heilbrun £2.81

Marriage is Murder - Nancy Pickard £3.20

Say No to Murder - Nancy Pickard £2.81

Twilight - Nancy Pickard £2.81

Garment of Shadows (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes)- Laurie R. King £3.40

Confession: A Jenny Cain Mystery- Nancy Pickard £3.11

Days of Blood and Starlight - Laini Taylor £3.67

The Fallen Angel - Daniel Silva £2.79

I.O.U. - Nancy Pickard £3.07

Edited by Little Pixie

Just had a cold caller - asked them if it was urgent `cos we`re flooding downstairs atm - they just went straight into their spiel. :doh:

One of the flood pumps has stopped working but the other`s okay, should keep most of the river out of the house, hurray. :smile:

Thanks Steve and Chrissy. :D

I do feel so sorry for the people in Somerset ; I think this should be one of those ` flooded for 2 or 3 days, then it`s all done with` things. :hide:

Poor Xiao-Xiao the Cat`s hating the flooding and squeaks at me all the time... :console:

Great reviews :)! I have Daughter of Smoke and Bone on my TBR. I hope you have fun with your new books :), the prices seem really good! I hope things will go back to 'normal' again there soon, flooding sounds pretty terrible :(.

They showed Holland on the news last night and all the things you do so you don`t flood, like dredging ( which we`ve been asking for, for years ).