Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

That sounds good! I suppose you'll mainly be reading fantasy :giggle2:?

Of course! :giggle2:

Seriously, though, if any of us lot owned a bookstore, we'd never let the customers buy anything! We'd go all Gollum on them when we saw them touching them. :giggle2: Your bookshop sounds awesome though, with the tea and coffee and discounts. I would fly to the Netherlands for this shop! :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, though, if any of us lot owned a bookstore, we'd never let the customers buy anything! :D

I dunno, I'd quite happily force pass Terry Goodkind on to any unsuspecting fool customer  :giggle2:

And deprive SE of income (and me of royalties)?  Shame on you! :o  

Would make some useful doorstops :giggle2:

Great haul of books Gaia! There'll keep you going :readingtwo:

Glad you enjoyed the end of The Wheel of Time, it's great when a series doesn't disappoint at the end. I'll be reading the fourth book soon. :smile:

Note: I had to remove some emoticons.

Oh my word, the organization and the stats and lists, wow! You've done a very thorough and beautiful job! I have to say I love the pie charts I think I'd like to do one myself, on the countries of the authors I've read books by. That ought to be interesting.

It's pretty amazing that you've already read 14 books so far, well done But what's even more, is that the year has startedly really great for you, because you've seemed to have liked and very much enjoyed all the books you've read so far. I think you will have a fabulous reading year in 2014!

And a very belated Happy BCF Anniversary! Can you believe that you've been here so long?

x

Thank you, Sari :)! I love this forum. Sometimes it feels like I've been here a long time and other times it feels like I haven't been here for that long. I don't know why.

I finished book 15 yesterday btw and will be posting a review soon. I hope it will indeed be a good reading year :).

x

Of course!

Seriously, though, if any of us lot owned a bookstore, we'd never let the customers buy anything! We'd go all Gollum on them when we saw them touching them. Your bookshop sounds awesome though, with the tea and coffee and discounts. I would fly to the Netherlands for this shop!

x

That's great to hear :)! We'd be happy to have you.

x

I dunno, I'd quite happily force pass Terry Goodkind on to any unsuspecting fool customer

x

I quite liked the first three books in the Sword of Truth series, particularly the first one, but I haven't yet read the rest (for some reason I didn't really feel like continuing). My brother and sister have and they liked them. I think to each their own, though.

x

You'd be handing out free copies of Malazan, just to get people to read them!

x

That'd pull a lot of customers to the shop, free books :D!

x

Would make some useful doorstops

Great haul of books Gaia! There'll keep you going

Glad you enjoyed the end of The Wheel of Time, it's great when a series doesn't disappoint at the end. I'll be reading the fourth book soon.

x

x

For you, yeah - after all, they're big books and not for the simple-minded

x

I'm sure if I can manage Sanderson I can manage Eriksson :giggle2:

x

I really ought to give Eriksson a try again sometime :).

x

Quite a pile of books you got there Athena, the only one i've heard of is the Phillip Pulman but i hope you enjoy them all

x

x

Never!It would help him in the long run because people would come back for more.

x

That's true!

x

Happy reading Athena

x

Thank you :)!

Any particular name anyone would have in mind for the book shop? BCF Book Shop perhaps, but that doesn't sound too appealing. How about Athena's Bookaholic Shop or Books of Gaia? Hmmm..

Penny Vincenzi - Windfall

647701.jpg

Genre: Historical fiction, chick-lit

Format: Paperback

Pages: 625

Synopsis (Goodreads): Sensible Cassia Fallon is married to a doctor for seven years when she inherits a large amount of money from her godmother. This enables her to leave her old life behind and embark on a new life with danger and passion.

My thoughts: It has been a while since I read a book by Penny Vincenzi and I felt in the mood for it, after reading a science-fiction book I wanted something historical and lighter.

I quite liked this book. I love Penny Vincenzi's writing style and how she tells her stories. Certain things are a little bit predictable if you've read several of her books. There were quite a few unexpected plot twists which I really enjoyed. Cassia would like to be a doctor, I liked the health aspect of this book and the discussion of health and illness cases that she comes across.

The book isn't just about Cassia but also about her friends and such. I liked some characters more than others. Certain characters had very 'old-fashioned' views of women, perhaps normal for those times though, which I didn't like. I loved how Cassia went against this by taking on a job.

I less liked certain sexual scenes since I don't like to read about this in much detail. I also sometimes found it a bit unrealistic to be honest, but then again I suppose maybe it isn't meant to be realistic.

Interwoven with the story, which takes place in Great Britain, is the news of the royalties (ie. the King). Now I don't know enough about Britain in that period to know if it's accurate, but I think it is and it's a nice touch. The books takes place in the 30's but with flashbacks to earlier times, from when Cassia was younger.

Sometimes there were a few pacing problems, especially in the beginning. It didn't bother me so much as I enjoyed the story but I can imagine others might find it bothersome.

Overall it was pretty much what I expected from Penny Vincenzi's books. I haven't yet read the trilogy, which is said to be the best, but I quite enjoyed this book.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

I went out shopping on my anniversary and bought a few more books (I know, it's terrible..), most of them for quite cheap. I went into three different book shops, would've liked to go to the second hand shop as well but it was closed (maybe tomorrow :giggle2:).

Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth 2: Stone Of Tears

Kluun - 1-2: Komt een Vrouw bij de Dokter & De Weduwnaar

Lilian Jackson Brown - Cat Who... 29: De Kat Die 60 Snorharen Had (The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers)

Marc Salem - Non-Verbale Communicatie (The Six Keys to Unlock and Power Your Mind)

Paul Hanna - Geluk En Succes: Je Hebt Het Zelf in Handen (You Can Do It)

Tony Buzan - Mindmapping: Eenvoudig en Snel (Mind Mapping)

Sarah Ivens - Etiquette Voor De Moderne Vrouw: Altijd en Overal Even Charmant, Elegant en Vol Zelfvertrouwen! (A Modern Girl's Guide to Etiquette)

Laura Day - Intuïtie (Practical Intuition for Success)

Michael Kahn - De Kunst Van Het Luisteren (The Tao of Conversation)

Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter - The Long Earth 2: The Long War

I also was given two free bookmarks. I also think it's interesting that I bought Cat Who... 29 on the 29th. It was part of a 3 books for 15 euros deal and there wasn't anything else I liked. I've read a few of the series ages ago in the library.

Here's a photo. Sorry for the lack of lighting and picture quality, my phone didn't quite seem to get what to focus on. When I buy lots of books at the book fair, I'll make some photos with my camera.

20140131_121900NewBooks29-01-2014_2.jpg

A little after the book fair my medication should be working fully so hopefully I'll feel less of a need to buy books to cheer myself up.

Edited by Athena

I bought Kindle editions of:

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special 13: Aloha, Babysitters!
Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special 14: BSC in the USA
Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special 15: Baby-sitters European Vacation

I hope they release everything BSC eventually, I'm looking forward to read all the adventures I've not read when I was a child (because they weren't published in the Netherlands).

Wow, Athena !

You keep those bookshops smoking with all the new books you buy ! I bet you are their favorite customer .

You're doing great on your reading ! You are TEN ahead of me .

x

Thanks, Julie :)! I bought some more books yesterday too :blush2:. But after the book fair I'm going to avoid going to shops for a while.. hopefully it'll help. I've finished reading another book and will be posting a review soon.

Great books Gaia! I like the sound of the Pratchett one, and the cat one. :D

x

Thanks, Laura :)

I've got the Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter one .. that is I've got The Long Earth 1 .. have you already got/read that one Gaia? Great book haul :)

x

No, not yet :blush2:. I tend to read series once I have all the books, because I don't like having to wait for the next one to come out and be reading lots of series at any one time, that is confusing for me. I love Terry Pratchett's writing though so I've good hope I'll like the book :).

x

Are the Babysitters books expensive, Athena? 

I have the first one on kindle, but reluctant to start because I know will want to read them all and then will be spending £££s!

x

On Amazon.com I paid 4.99$ for them, so about 3.50€ or 2.50£ I think. I don't know how much they are on Amazon.co.uk, I have to buy them from Amazon.com because I live in the Netherlands, sometimes Amazon.com's books are more expensive for me than for US customers but I think these are the usual prices.

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain

9646323.jpg

(my cover has a different quote on it)

Genre: Contemporary fiction

Format: Paperback

Pages: 321

Synopsis (Goodreads): A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.

My thoughts: This book has been recommended to me by several people here on BCF, I think I bought it upon Frankie's recommendation last year. After reading something historical I felt like reading something contemporary.

First off, this book is written from the point of view of Enzo, a dog. I thought this was a brilliant way to tell the story. On occasion I wondered if dogs would really think this way, it seemed a bit unrealistic, but most of the time it was excellent. I love Enzo.

It was interesting to read about the characters. I liked all of the main characters. I loved how the racing techniques were applied to the lives of the characters. This was very well done! There were quite a few great, unexpected plot twists that I didn't see coming. The writing style is great and I loved reading this book. My mojo wasn't always feeling like it beforehand but once I read more than a few pages the story pulled me in.

Overall I loved this book. Enzo in particular is a great character and I loved his POV. You've got to love Enzo!

Rating: ***** (10/10)

I bought some more books :blush2:, all of them at the charity shop except the last three.

Elizabeth George - Inspector Lynley 9: Deception On His Mind

Elizabeth George - Inspector Lynley 5: For The Sake Of Elena

Simon Kent - The Doctor on Bean Street

Jan Houdijk - Raven: Roman Over Een Jagerszoon In Het Stenen Tijdperk

Dagmar Geisler - Vriendjes Verboden (Wer Küsst Schon Unter Wasser?)

Jonny Zucker - Tina Topper 78: Evi - Stuntmeid!

J. E. Bright - Tina Topper 79: Háár Vriendje... En Ik - (Your Best Friend's Boyfriend)

Mirjam Oldenhave - Tina Supertopper 8: Ik, Ik!

Thea Beckman - Saartje Tadema

Anke de Vries - Kladwerk

Michel Houellebecq - Elementaire Deeltjes (Les Particules Élémentaires)

Per Petterson - Paarden Stelen (Ut Og Stjæle Hester)

Carl Hiaasen - Uil (Hoot)

I've actually read some of the YA ones when I was a teenager and it should be good to read them again.

Here's a photo (kind of reverse order):

Books01-01-2014.jpg

Edited by Athena

Athena - i see you bought a couple of Elizabeth George's have you read any of her books before, i have What Became Before i Shot Her on my TBR pile so would be interested to hear what you thought about her. I also have the Per Petterson thoughmy copies in English of course  :smile: