Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Weet Wel Raad met Vakantie

1001004006442242.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Adult

Format: Hardback

Pages: 95

Synopsis (me):This is a comic about the psychiatrist Sigmund. There are several different stories in it, some only one page long, others much longer. The comics centre around the theme of vacation and holidays.

My thoughts: I bought this at the library recently, it looked funny. I hadn't read anything about Sigmund before. I have two other (comic) books that involve him.

There were a lot of funny comics in here. I didn't like all of the jokes but I liked most of them, some were quite funny and made me laugh or smirk out loud. The drawings are nice. I liked the character of Sigmund, as well as the patients he meets. There are stories of both him on a holiday as well as meetings in his office with patients, talking about vacation. There's even a story that combines the two, I quite liked that one (Sigmund goes on a holiday with a couple to help them in their relationship).

Overall this book surprised me, I didn't think it'd be quite this funny.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sophie Divry - The Library of Unrequited Love

17282187.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Format: Paperback

Pages: 92

Synopsis (GoodReads):One morning a librarian finds a reader who has been locked in overnight.

She starts to talk to him, a one-way conversation that soon gathers pace as an outpouring of frustrations, observations and anguishes. Two things shine through: her shy, unrequited passion for a quiet researcher named Martin, and an ardent and absolute love of books.

A delightful flight of fancy for the lonely bookworm in all of us…

My thoughts: Several people (friends from BCF) recommended this book to me, so I bought it. It's quite short so I thought I'd read it for the April read-a-thon.

I quite liked the main character, the librarian. The whole book is her talking to the reader who was locked in overnight. The book was really interesting, hearing how things worked for her in the library and in her life. The story didn't really end but it was great otherwise. There were bits in it about French literature, about French authors, about French history. The book is really well written and I enjoyed reading it. I felt myself agreeing with the main character often, though not always.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. It was great to read about the library and the life of the librarian. The writing was really good.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

P.S. I love the cover.

Edited by Athena

Athena - i've not read any Karin Slaughter books myself but my eldest daughter likes them, a bit gory for me i think  :smile: The Library of Unrequited Love sounds more like my sort of thing & it is a lovely cover. By the way when i was in the charity shop the other day i saw A Babysitter's Club book & thought of you as i remembered that you enjoy them  :D

Great review on The Library of Unrequited Love, Athena! :) I'm so so happy you enjoyed the book! Do you think it has re-read potential?

I've always fantasized about getting locked in a library for a night... The fun one would have!! :smile2:

I've gone through my books and removed some that I'm not interested in anymore. I haven't yet taken them off the TBR list though or my database, but they're no longer taking up shelf space.

I think you've said in the past that you don't like parting ways with books? If that's the case, I think it's very brave of you to go through your books and decide on getting rid of some :) How many did you end up taking off the shelves?

Great review on The Library of Unrequited Love, Athena! :) I'm so so happy you enjoyed the book! Do you think it has re-read potential?

x

I think it does, I'd love to re-read it in a while :).

x

I've always fantasized about getting locked in a library for a night... The fun one would have!! :smile2:

x

I agree! I love being in libraries.

I think you've said in the past that you don't like parting ways with books? If that's the case, I think it's very brave of you to go through your books and decide on getting rid of some :) How many did you end up taking off the shelves?

x

I don't like it no, but I made some space this way :). I think I put away perhaps 30-40 books? I didn't count them :blush2:. I'm not throwing/giving them away just yet, but I'm keeping them seperate.

x

I think it does, I'd love to re-read it in a while :).

That's great! I think I should look into getting a copy of my own soon :giggle:

I agree! I love being in libraries.

It's like being a kid in a candy store... Where to start! What would one do?! :D

I don't like it no, but I made some space this way :). I think I put away perhaps 30-40 books? I didn't count them :blush2:. I'm not throwing/giving them away just yet, but I'm keeping them seperate.

That's a lot of books, well done!! :)

It's like being a kid in a candy store... Where to start! What would one do?! :D

x

I think I would look at all the books in the genres I find interesting (fiction and non-fiction), see what strikes me. If it were allowed I'd even make photos because I like looking at photos of books and libraries :blush2:. I might even add some books to my wishlist..

x

That's a lot of books, well done!! :)

x

I think I would look at all the books in the genres I find interesting (fiction and non-fiction), see what strikes me. If it were allowed I'd even make photos because I like looking at photos of books and libraries :blush2:. I might even add some books to my wishlist..

Of course it's allowed to take photos, you'd be locked in, nobody would know ... :giggle: Although you would have to have a camera with you... So, always keep a camera with you when you go to a library and want to get locked in :D

I'd go in for the book storage and see what kind of gems they have in there. And maybe I could play some music, because there wouldn't be any customers to disturb... The endless possibilities :D

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

8786481.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Age-range: Children's, Young-Adult

Pages: 607

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series)

My thoughts: It was another read-a-thon, so I read the last book in the Harry Potter series.

I knew the story from the films, so the story by itself wasn't new to me. However, as usual the book contains much more details, though because they made two films out of the book instead of one there was more detail in the films than in the previous two films.

I really liked reading this book. It finishes off the series in a great way. The book is well written and I loved the characters and the world. A lot of truths are revealed and things from previous books were explained or referenced to. This is a big epic story. I really wanted to keep on reading (unfortunately, on some days I was way too tired to do so). It's a pretty tense book, very suspenseful.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book and think it's a brilliant conclusion to what is in my opinion a brilliant children's/YA fantasy series.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

I've now read over 15000 pages so far this year (100 days), so hopefully I might be able to read 45000 pages in the year at least. That's interesting to think about, in my opinion. I've never before recorded my pages read. I've read 57 books, so hopefully I should be able to make my unofficial target of 150 books read this year.

Sophie Divry - The Library of Unrequited Love17282187.jpgGenre: Contemporary FictionAge-range: AdultFormat: PaperbackPages: 92Synopsis (GoodReads):One morning a librarian finds a reader who has been locked in overnight.She starts to talk to him, a one-way conversation that soon gathers pace as an outpouring of frustrations, observations and anguishes. Two things shine through: her shy, unrequited passion for a quiet researcher named Martin, and an ardent and absolute love of books.A delightful flight of fancy for the lonely bookworm in all of us…My thoughts: Several people (friends from BCF) recommended this book to me, so I bought it. It's quite short so I thought I'd read it for the April read-a-thon.I quite liked the main character, the librarian. The whole book is her talking to the reader who was locked in overnight. The book was really interesting, hearing how things worked for her in the library and in her life. The story didn't really end but it was great otherwise. There were bits in it about French literature, about French authors, about French history. The book is really well written and I enjoyed reading it. I felt myself agreeing with the main character often, though not always.Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. It was great to read about the library and the life of the librarian. The writing was really good.Rating: ***** (9/10)P.S. I love the cover.

I've been seeing this here and there and have considered giving it a try. Your review makes it very appealing! I like your cover, too. The U.S. one is very different. I'll have to see if I can post it...

The Library of Unrequited Love sounds like a great read - another one for my poor wish list!

x

I hope you enjoy it too, if/when you read it :)

I've been seeing this here and there and have considered giving it a try. Your review makes it very appealing! I like your cover, too. The U.S. one is very different. I'll have to see if I can post it...

x

Thanks :). What does the cover look like? I've searched on Amazon.com but they're showing me the same cover.

Peter V. Brett - Demon Cycle 3: The Daylight War

10395530.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Pages: 803

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series)

My thoughts: I've been wanting to read this book for a while. The first two books in the series are really good and I was eager to see how the story continues.

My first thought upon finishing the book, was, wow, what a read! I'm very eager to read the last two books in the series.. unfortunately there's not a set publication date yet known so I'm going to have to wait a while (and since I want the paperback it'll be a bit longer).

The story continues from where it left off, but bits are explained and if one's confused there's a Krasian dictionary at the end of the book. I looked up a few words but for the most part things came back to me as I read them (they were briefly explained too). There are chapters in the book about Inevera's past, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I also really enjoyed reading how the story continues. New characters are introduced and part of the story but a lot of the ones from the previous books are there too. There are quite a few characters in this book, and I liked a lot of them.

The book is well written and I really enjoyed reading about the magic and the demons, and the characters. It was a very suspenseful book, I really wanted to keep on reading. The beginning was a bit slower for me, because I had the read-a-thon where I read mainly short books (this book is too epic for a read-a-thon I think). On some days I was too tired to read too, so I didn't finish this book as quickly as I could have perhaps.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. The story is epic and I loved every part of it. I loved reading about the world and learning more about it. I do recommend starting with the first book in the series if you haven't read it yet, because you get more out of the second and third book that way. But if you're brave the story can certainly stand as standalone (though it doesn't end fully) if you don't mind getting thrown into the deep end. This book has an ending, and a great one, but the story is not yet finished (as evident that there'll be two more books). I'm really eager to read the next two books but it might be a while before they're published, I don't know. This book, and the two before it, are really epic fantasy reads.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Glad to see you loved Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  The series (especially the last three) are in the top of my most beloved list.

x

I'm glad to read you enjoy them too! I think the last three books really ramped up the tension and are darker and more suspenseful.

x

I`m liking the sound of that Sophie Divry book more and more. Sounds like getting locked in a library is a common fantasy. :blush2:

x

I think so :).