Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am exactly the same Athena! I like even numbers, make sure the tv volume is on an even number, purchase most items in two (like laundry stuff), and food, (though to be fair, i cook for two people, so its always two pieces of veg each). I'm also a little ocd (obsessive compulsive), things need to be lined up, even, or sized from smallest to biggest. I am a bit of a neat freak, things nicely placed etc.

Hope you are okay as well. Sending hugs your way.

Edited by Devi

Half price books, lovely! :D I recently bought Tuf Voyaging too. :) It'll be interesting to see what you make of the Casual Vacancy - I've never read any of Rowling's none Harry Potter stuff, have you?

x

No, I haven't yet. I hope it's good :).

x

Hope you're doing okay Gaia. :friends0:

x

Thanks Laura :friends0:.

x

Me too, Gaia. ^^^^^^^^ Take care. :flowers2:

x

Thanks Kate :friends0:.

x

I am exactly the same Athena! I like even numbers, make sure the tv volume is on an even number, purchase most items in two (like laundry stuff), and food, (though to be fair, i cook for two people, so its always two pieces of veg each). I'm also a little ocd (obsessive compulsive), things need to be lined up, even, or sized from smallest to biggest. I am a bit of a neat freak, things nicely placed etc.

Hope you are okay as well. Sending hugs your way.

x

That's very interesting, Devi! It's always nice when you read/hear someone has a similarity to your own. Thanks :hug:.

I'm doing okay, it's been a stressful week to be honest. I was going to type this in my Member's Thread but not all of you read that so I'll say something about it here instead.

As most of you know, something tragic happened in my boyfriend's family. His nephew (the son of one of his sisters) collapsed while playing sports and was dead instantly. We're still awaiting further news as to how this could happen. The doctors are looking into it. Things are complicated in his family, my boyfriend has been stressed since it's happened. I've only had the privilege to meet Kyle a couple of times, maybe four or five times. He always seemed like a really friendly person to me. My boyfriend is awaiting for arrangements in relation to a service etc., no dates have been set yet. This has stressed me out too since he might have to go to the UK all of a sudden, which not only costs me money but more importantly means he won't be here until he gets back.

I've also been very tired, both from all the events and uncertainties but also because we went out a couple of times. I bought lots more books. I'll be posting 12 reviews and photos and lists of my new books. Please stay tuned if you can :blush2:, once I've posted one review, until I'm done with them, as otherwise I might miss your post. All the reviews are written already so I just need to copy and paste them from a document.

Sheila O'Flanagan - Follow Me (QuickReads)

10356559.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 111

Synopsis (GoodReads):Pippa Jones seems to have it all. The only thing that the high-flying career girl is missing is love. When she spots a gorgeous man who seems to be following her everywhere she goes, she wonders if fate is trying to throw them together. But with her job on the line can she afford to make time for this handsome, mysterious stranger?

My thoughts: It was another read-a-thon, so I read my last QuickReads book.

This was a nice story. I really liked the main character, a lot of detail went into her personality despite the length of the book. Some of the plot twists were (to me) a bit predictable, but overall the story is really nice. It has a good writing style. I enjoyed reading about the main character's job and interests. Overall I quite enjoyed the book.

Rating: (****) (8/10)

Roald Dahl - The Magic Finger

6670.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Age-range: Children's

Pages: 57

Synopsis (GoodReads):The Gregg family loves hunting, but their eight-year-old neighbor can't stand it. After countless pleas for them to stop are ignored, she has no other choice -- she has to put her magic finger on them. Now the Greggs are a family of birds, and like it or not, they're going to find out how it feels to be on the other end of the gun.

My thoughts: It was another read-a-thon, so I read the last short Roald Dahl book I have that I hadn't read yet.

This is a magical story about the family Gregg who learn their lessons in regards to shooting animals. The girl (who unfortunately is never named by name nor much spoken of) has a magic finger and uses it against them. It's a great story, my only complaint is that I wish there had been more to the girl, right now she's kind of a blank in the story. I thought the story would've been better if her character had been more developed and if it'd played a bigger role. Other than that though I enjoyed reading the book and seeing the illustrations (by Quentin Blake).

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 13: Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye (re-read)

38421.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Young-Adult, Children's

Pages: 132

Synopsis: (no synopsis because it's part of a series)

My thoughts: It was another read-a-thon, so I read the next book I own in the series (English versions).

This was a good, moving story. I always feel a bit sad reading certain parts of it. This time it reminded me of my own moving to this house we live in right now (when I read this book for the first time, I hadn't moved yet). I found it difficult at first, but eventually grew used to things.

As usual, I quite liked the characters. It's enjoyable to re-read these books, in English, after what's been many years.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 3: Een Dief in de Nacht

11971776.jpg

Genre: Detective

Pages: 189

Synopsis (me):Two dead bodies are found near each other. Are the murders related? One of them carries a USB-stick.

My thoughts: It was another read-a-thon, so I thought I'd read the next book in this series (after number two).

The book starts off with a beautifully written introduction by Simon de Waal. Apparently in books one and two of this series, Baantjer and de Waal wrote the chapters alternating each other. Unfortunately Baantjer died (very sad) and so I think mainly his ideas were used for the book. Simon de Waal wrote this introduction explaining it all and putting in some memories of his collegue and friend Baantjer. I was moved.

This book was quite good. It's tense and well written and I thought the characters were interesting. One thing I missed from the previous book (number two, I don't have number one) were the references to the Baantjer books (presumably because of the introduction). However, the story itself is very good and quite tense, I wanted to keep on reading to find out how it all had happened and what would happen.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book.

Rating: (*****) (9/10)

Harry Mulisch - Twee Vrouwen

5311121.jpg

Genre: Literature

Pages: 135

Synopsis (me):A work of literature about a woman, who's in a relationship with another woman and who loses her mother.

My thoughts: This was a short book that I bought at the charity shop. Because it was short I decided to read it for the read-a-thon.

Harry Mulisch is a famous Dutch author who wrote literary works. I hadn't read a book by him before.

The book is very well written and quite enjoyable to read. The characters were quite good. Because it's a work of literature, there's a lot of psychological insight into the characters. The book was written in 1975 (my copy being a 2008 reprint). Back in those days, homosexuality wasn't as much accepted as it is nowadays (though I wouldn't say it's fully accepted nowadays). You see this in the book, the two women have to hide their relationship. It was quite interesting to read about this.

There are several brilliant unexpected plot twists that I didn't see coming. I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen, especially in the last part of the book.

My only complaint was that sometimes flashbacks and the now-a-days in the book were interwoven, from time to time I found it a bit hard to tell if the story took place in its present time or whether the main character was having a flashback.

Mirjam Oldenhave - Tina Supertopper 8: Ik, ik!

9058553337.gif

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 107

Synopsis (me):Julia lives with her father and has never known her mother. Her father never talks about her birth. One day he misspeaks and she and her friends try to find out more..

My thoughts: I bought this book at the charity shop, I've read more of the Tina books (I own a lot of them and liked them all as far as I remember) and I picked this book up because it sounded good.

This book is well written and is tense. Some plot twists were unexpected, others less so. I like reading good books about family secrets, and I quite enjoyed reading this one. I liked the characters. I wish the story had gone on beyond the ending, I would've liked to see more of the characters.

Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Relatietherapeut

9041706844.gif

Genre: Contemporary fiction, Comic

Format: Hardback

Pages: 144

Synopsis (me):A comic about Sigmund, the psychiatrist helping people with relationship problems. Some comics are also about himself trying to pick up women.

My thoughts: I bought this at the library sale along with two other comic collections in this series.

I liked the illustrations but this collection was not as funny as the previous one I read (Sigmund: Weet Wel Raad Met Vakantie). Some comics were funny, others were not quite my humour. I can see that some other people might find them funny, but I didn't. Overall I did enjoy reading this, particularly the comics I found funny, but I found it a let down compared to the previous one I read. I looked it up and this one was published the earliest.

Rating: (****) (7/10)

Jørgen Gaare and Øystein Sjaastad - Harry Potter en de School der Wijzen: Wat Harry Potter ons over Filosofie Leert

9977926.jpg

Genre: Information

Pages: 273

Synopsis (me):Using examples from the Harry Potter books, a lot of philosophical dilemmas and questions are explained.

My thoughts: I bought this book at the book fair, I love the Harry Potter books and I'm interested in philosophy. I read the Harry Potter series for some of the previous read-a-thons, so it seemed appropriate to now read this book.

This book is pretty interesting. It discusses various aspects of philosophy using examples from the Harry Potter books. A word of warning, don't read this book if you haven't finished the Harry Potter series and don't want to be spoiled. The examples come from all seven books and include talk about the ending.

I thought the book was well written (translated from Norwegian) and it had nice illustrations (ie. from famous paintings). Some things I already knew, since I've read more about philosophy (one of my favourite works is Jostein Gaarder's De Wereld van Sophie). The authors wove the chapters together quite nicely, there are nice transitions from one to the next (for most of them at least).

I enjoyed reading this book, and it hadn't occured to me that there were so many good philosophical ideas in the Harry Potter books.

Jen Campbell - Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

12640991.jpg

Genre: Biography

Pages: 114

Synopsis (GoodReads):This Sunday Times Bestseller is a miscellany of hilarious and peculiar bookshop moments:

'Can books conduct electricity?'

'My children are just climbing your bookshelves: that's ok... isn't it?'

A John Cleese Twitter question ['What is your pet peeve?'], first sparked the 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' blog, which grew over three years into one bookseller's collection of ridiculous conversations on the shop floor.

From 'Did Beatrix Potter ever write a book about dinosaurs?' to the hunt for a paperback which could forecast the next year's weather; and from 'I've forgotten my glasses, please read me the first chapter' to'Excuse me... is this book edible?'

This full-length collection illustrated by the Brothers McLeod also includes top 'Weird Things' from bookshops around the world.

My thoughts: Several people from BCF recommended this book to me, so I bought it and since it was short I decided to read it for this read-a-thon.

This book was quite funny. Not all of the bits in it are as funny but most are pretty hilarious. The book contains bits from several book shops, mostly of the one the author owns. It was really nice to read, I quite enjoyed it. The illustrations are very nice too.

Rating: (*****) (10/10)

Sterre Hunvie - Leven Met ADD

9200000010993777.jpg

Genre: Biography, Information

Pages: 188

Synopsis (me):Sterre Hunvie's husband and son have ADD. She writes about their lives and what it is like to have ADD.

My thoughts: I bought this book to learn more about ADD.

This book was very good. It is well written and I learned a lot. I recognise a lot of things from myself (but of course, the doctor(s) will have to see if I have ADD or not). I enjoyed reading about the husband and son and how things work for them, and how the author deals with it and helps them. Sometimes I laughed at the examples given of something that has happened (she gives some examples of people with ADD she's talked with).

Overall I'm glad I read this book, it's made me more educated. It was also a bit confronting as I recognised some things from myself, but I suppose that's a good thing.

Sandra Kooij and Suzan Otten-Pablos - Hyper Sapiens: Praktische Gids voor Mensen met ADHD

9789000324002_fcovr.jpg

Pages: 244

Synopsis (me):A praktical guide for people with ADHD.

My thoughts: I bought this book recently because I wanted to know more about AD(H)D.

This was a good book. It's well written and contains examples from people who have AD(H)D (by this I mean ADD or ADHD). I liked the statistics in it and the recent researches that were discussed. I found the book to be educational. I don't think I have the hyperactive variant, I'm not hyperactive though I can be impulsive. Anyway, that's for the doctors to find out.

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book.

Cathelijne Wildervanck - ADHD: Hoe Haal je het Uít je Hoofd?

ADHD_omslvoor_lr.jpg

Pages: 167

Synopsis (me):A book on how to get ADHD out of your head, how to change things.

My thoughts: This is the third book on AD(H)D I bought.

This book was good but a bit different than the other two. It's more about thinking differently rather than about any specific kind of medication or therapy. I enjoyed reading it but am not sure how useful it'll be. It's certainly good but the author recommends doing a lot of these things with a coach (that's the word she used). I think it might be worth looking at some of these things with people close to me or with my therapist.

Overall I enjoyed the book.

I went to the Kringloopwinkel (a second hand shop in Helmond) and found lots of nice secondhand books for really cheap!

Melanie Rawn - Dragon Prince 2: The Star Scroll

Melanie Rawn - Dragon Prince 3: Sun-Runner's Fire (I had book one)

Marion Zimmer Bradley - Avalon 1: The Mists of Avalon (I own this in Dutch and liked it, so would like to read the original version)

J. V. Jones - The Barbed Coil

Diane Setterfield - The Thirteenth Tale

Kate Mosse - Labyrinth

Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall

Jenny Colgan - Talking to Addison

Jilly Cooper - The Rutshire Chronicles 3: Polo

Jilly Cooper - The Rutshire Chronicles 4: The Man Who Made Husbands Jealeous

Danielle Steel - No Greater Love

Danielle Steel - Message From Nam

Danielle Steel - Heartbeat

Danielle Steel - Lightning

Daniel C. Dennett - Conciousness Explained

Ute Ehrhardt - Brave Meisjes Komen In De Hemel, Brutale Overal: Waarom Lief Zijn Vrouwen Geen Stap Verder Brengt

D.J. Klanker and A. van Lith - Anti-Recessiva: In Een Wip Uit Je Dip

Paulien Cornelisse - Taal Is Zeg Maar Echt Mijn Ding

Tessa de Loo - De Tweeling

Frank Martinus Arion - Dubbelspel (I read my parents' copy and loved the story, so now I have my own copy)

A.F.Th. van der Heijden - Weerborstels

A.F.Th. van der Heijden - De Tandeloze Tijd 4: Advocaat van de Hanen

Renate Dorrestein - Een Hart van Steen

Leon de Winter - Alle Verhalen

Willem Frederik Hermans - De Donkere Kamer Van Damokles (I love another book by this author, Nooit Meer Slapen)

Rene Appèl - Tweestrijd

Anna Blaman - Drie Romans: Vrouw en Vriend, Eenzaam Avontuur en De Kruisvaarder (I love her book Op Leven en Dood)

Mensje van Keulen - Olifanten op een Web (I liked one of her books written for children)

Harry Mulisch - Het Stenen Bruidsbed

Maarten 't Hart - De Stiefdochters Van Stoof

Maarten 't Hart - De Kroongetuige

Ronald Giphart - Heblust

Ronald Giphart - De Voorzitter

Ronald Giphart - Giph

Various Authors - Een Hondeleven: De Mooiste Verhalen over Honden

Various Authors - Mooi Meegenomen '99

Various Authors - Lekker Weer Verhalen

Arnaldur Indriðason - Maandagskinderen

Lilian Jackson Braun - Cat Who.. 14: De Kat Die Er Niet Was (The Cat Who Wasn't There)

John Matthews - Oude Schuld (I've read my parents' copy and loved it)

Marilyn French, Christina Garcia, Malin Schwerdtfeger - Zussen (Marilyn French - Onze Vader, Christina Garci'a - De Zusters Agu:ero, Malin Schwerdtfeger - Cafe' Saratoga)

Daniel Silva, Barbara Delinsky, A.C. Baantjer - Bestseller Selectie 3 - (Daniel Silva - De Onwaarschijnlijke Spion, Barbara Delinsky - Het Rijk van de Vrouw, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 46: De Cock en de Geur van Rottend Hout) (I bought this for the Baantjer book)

Chris Rippen - Misdaad In Triplo (Sporen, Playback, Baltische Connecties)

Robin Cook - Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery 4: Vector

Robin Cook - Narcose (Harmful Intent)

Robin Cook - Infuus (Godplayer)

Robin Cook - Koorts (Fever)

Robin Cook - Doodsangst (Mortal Fear)

Robin Cook - Coma (Coma)

Robin Cook - Experiment (Mindbend)

Robin Cook - Brein (Brain)

Robin Cook - Manipulatie (Mutation)

Robin Cook - Sfinx (Sphinx)

Robin Cook - Embryo (Vital Signs)

Robin Cook - Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery 3: Verminkt (Chromosome 6)

DSCN1622_0.25.jpg

I went to the bookfair (Het Boekenfestijn) in Utrecht and bought lots of new cheap books!

The Complete James Herriot Boxset: All Creatures Great and Small

Sarah Crossan - The Weight of Water

Matthew Quick - The Silver Linings Playbook

Carry Slee - Radeloos

Carry Slee - Timboektoe Compleet 1-4 (See You in Timboektoe, 100% Timboektoe, Timboektoe Rules!, Timboektoe Rocks!)

Ildikó von Kürthy - Wraak Doet Leven (Blaue Wunder)

Christine Orban - Chez Darling: Het Verhaal van een Ware Shopaholic (Fringues)

Colette Caddle - Always on my Mind

Milly Johnson - A Winter Flame

Sloane Tanen - Are You Going to Kiss Me Now?

Rebecca Chance - Bad Girls

Jane Costello - All The Single Ladies

Janet Gurtler - If I Tell

Janet Gurtler - I'm Not Her

Janet Gurtler - Who I Kissed

Graham McNeill - StarCraft: I, Mengsk

Various Authors - Crime de la Crime: De Beste Italiaanse Misdaadverhalen (Crimini)

Esther Verhoef - Rendez-vous

Jo Nesbø - Headhunters

Robin Cook - Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery 10: Cure

Robin Cook - Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery 6: Crisis (Crisis)

Stephen King - The Dark Tower 4.5: The Wind Through The Keyhole

Darren Shan - The Saga of Darren Shan 1-3: Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque Du Freak, The Vampire's Assistant, Tunnels of Blood)

L. J. Smith - Nightworld 4-6: Night World No. 2 (Dark Angel, The Chosen, Soulmate)

Thomas E. Sniegoski - The Fallen 2: Aerie and Reckoning

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - De Verheven Steen 3: Reis Voorbij Het Einde (Journey into the Void)

Alison Goodman - Eon 2: Eona

Anne West - De Erfenisjagers: De Anti-magiër

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law: Heroes

Gary Gibson - Angel Stations

David Stuart Davies - The Collector's Book Of Science Fiction

L. Frank Baum - The Complete Stories Of Oz

George R. R. Martin - A Game of Thrones Boek 1 (Graphic Novel)

George R. R. Martin - A Game of Thrones Boek 2 (Graphic Novel)

Yuki Urushibara - Mushishi 8-10

Koji Kometa - Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei 4 - The Power of Negative Thinking

Koji Kometa - Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei 5 - The Power of Negative Thinking

Koji Kometa - Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei 6 - The Power of Negative Thinking

Koji Kometa - Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei 8 - The Power of Negative Thinking

George Asakura - A Perfect Day For Love Letters 1

Mika Kawamura - Panic X Panic 1

Mika Kawamura - Panic X Panic 2

Miwa Ueda - Papillon 3

Miwa Ueda - Papillon 4

Miwa Ueda - Papillon 5-6

Minoru Toyoda - Love Roma 1

Minoru Toyoda - Love Roma 2

Minoru Toyoda - Love Roma 4

Tomoko Ninomiya - Nodame Cantabile 1

Ema Toyama - I Am Here! 1: A Sunflower in the Shade

Josie Dew - The Sun In My Eyes: Two-Wheeling East

Saskia Noort and Jan Heemskerk - Jan & Saskia Over Seks En Liefde

Kath Kelly - Leven Voor Een Habbekrats: Hoe Ik Een Jaar Leefde van een Euro per Dag

Sophie van der Stap - Buiten Spelen

Bruna Vanspauwen - Hoeveel Bordjes? Incognito aan Tafel: Het (Bijna) Verborgen Leven van een Restaurantcriticus

Amy Thomas - Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light (And Dark Chocolate)

Allen Parton and Sandra Parton - Een Held van een Hond: Hoe een Ondeugende Pup een Familie in Nood er weer Bovenop Hielp (Endal)

Stephen Markley - Publish This Book: The (Incredible, Hilarious, Heartwrenching, Unbelievable, and) Completely (Mostly) True Story of How I Wrote, Got Published, and (Hopefully) Sold a Memoir About Nothing

Berthold Gunster - Omdenken

Berthold Gunster - Omdenken in Relaties

Berthold Gunster - Yes-But What If It All Works Out? - (Ja-Maar Wat Als Alles Lukt?)

Jena Pincott - Waarom Vrouwen Chocola Lekkerder Vinden Dan Seks - En Andere Prikkelende Vragen over Liefde en Relaties (Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes?)

Dr. Wayne Dyer - Mijn Ziel, Mijn Zaligheid - (Your Sacred Self, Making the Decision to Be Free)

John Lloyd and John Mitchinson - QI: The Second Book Of General Ignorance

John Lloyd and John Mitchinson - The QI Book Of The Dead

Brian Clegg - A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable

Tom Chatfield - The School of Life: Floreren In Het Digitale Tijdperk - Hoe Doe Je Dat? (How to Thrive in a Digital Age)

Joep Schrijvers - Maak Er Wat Van! Vindingrijk Zijn in Lastige Situaties

Barbara Berger - Ben Je Nu Gelukkig? 10 Manieren Om Gelukkig Te Worden (Are You Happy Now?)

Richard Wiseman - Quirkology: Onalledaags Onderzoek naar Ons Dagelijks Leven (Quirkology)

Annie Leonard - The Story Of Stuff: Hoe Onze Obsessie Met Spullen De Planeet, Onze Samenleving En Onze Gezondheid Uitput, En Een Visie Op Verandering

Reader's Digest - Doe Meer Met Minder: Een Praktische Gids met Geldbesparende Ideeën

These pictures aren't great but I thought I'd give you a bit of an impression of what it's like at Het Boekenfestijn. For more pictures, see their facebook page and their website.

HetBoekenfestijn1.jpg

HetBoekenfestijnUtrecht08052014Boeken.jpg

I was in town and went to the charity shop and managed to find three books. They know me there so the woman specifically went to the storage room and got out their just arrived English books. I bought three. There were another three that I already had but would've bought if I hadn't had them already.

Anne McCaffrey - Tower and the Hive 4: Lyon's Pride

William Shatner - Tek Money

Rosamunde Pilcher - September

P.S. That's all my reviews and book buying posted. I'm not totally happy with some of the reviews as I've been too tired to write them really. I hope to not buy much books in the next while, but heh..

Athena how did you manage to get all those books home from the two places you went? That is a huge haul. For most of us it would be a years reading or more. 

Edited by vodkafan

My mum took me by car to the second hand shop. The friendly woman at the counter gave me two large bags that we put the books in and then walked to the car. I went to the book fair by train and took my big suitcase, which my boyfriend carried most of the time. I also brought my back pack which I put books in. It was a lot to carry, but gladly my boyfriend carried most of it :blush2:.

EDIT: I know it may not seem like it, but I picked up a lot of books in the shops/bookfair that I put back.

Edited by Athena