Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing reading log, I spent a long time looking through it and marvelling at your collections.

Have you been collecting for a while now? I would love to buy more books once I get my own place.

Reading through your lists, I also wondered how you manage to find the time to read so much! :P

Love all the new books, too! Good luck with not buying any more - I give it 1 week before you cave in and buy more. :giggle2:

x

I did not cave in!! I didn't buy any books the past week :exc:.

x

Amazing reading log, I spent a long time looking through it and marvelling at your collections.

Have you been collecting for a while now? I would love to buy more books once I get my own place.

x

I've been collecting books for a long time, pretty much since I bought my first books. Most of the adult books were bought once I was older of course. I go to book fairs here in the Netherlands where they sell a lot of books for quite cheap (including English books). I've been given books for free as well, from family members who didn't want them any more etc. I do spend too much money on books :blush2:. I plan on changing this but it's difficult sometimes as buying books cheers me up and makes me feel less stressed.

x

Reading through your lists, I also wondered how you manage to find the time to read so much! :P

x

Athena is a speed reader. If this were a comic book, speed reading would be her super power. ;)

x

Dtrpath is right, I can read very fast :). And :lol: @ the comic book comment.

I do have trouble processing input, particularly auditory input. So for me it's much easier to read a book than to watch TV, for example. So I don't watch much TV but instead read a lot. Reading does make me tired and often I need to stop to process what I've read, but it's much easier for me than hearing something, such as the TV, a game, music, people. I don't have many friends in real life whom I see often, so I don't spend any time on big parties or in a bar or something (I have autism, this would not be doable). I used to be a student but have graduated now. I'm very tired from going to university for many years and am dividing my time now between resting, reading, and doing little things around the house (such as cleaning up dishes) (and of course also doing other things such as using the computer for browsing the forum). If you want to know more, you can check my Member Thread, specifically the first post and this one. If you have any questions feel free to ask :).

Nevil Shute - On the Beach (re-read)

8398573.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 285

Synopsis (back of the book):What would you do if you knew you only had seven or eight months to live? What exciting dreams would you want to live out before you last days? Who would you want to live them out with? How would you tell everyone you loved goodbye? A last generation, the innocent victims of an accidental war, living out their last days, making do with what they have, hoping for a miracle. As the deadly rain moves ever closer, the world as we know it winds toward an inevitable end...

My thoughts: This book is the April (2014) Reading Circle book. Since it's almost April I thought I'd re-read it. I read it for my English exam back in secondary school but I didn't remember much about it. I was not asked questions about it on my exam, I was asked questions instead on Shakespeare's Macbeth and on poems.

It took me a bit of time to get into this book. I felt more like reading something of a different genre. The book reminded me, at the start, of my English exam. After a while though these memories didn't bother me as much.

In the beginning I was a bit confused as to what had happened before the story started. It doesn't get fully told until a bit later in the book.

I could've done with more paragraphs, in my copy at least, there were no new lines when a new scene begun. The change from one scene to the next (if that's what you call a passage in a book?) was abrupt this way.

My copy has quite a few errors in it. Spelling errors, punctuation errors, etc. are more frequent in the book than in most other books I read. This may or may not be specific to my old copy. I found it annoying as errors tend to pull me out of the story. My copy is also quite tattered, it was difficult to hold it at times because the bottom of the spine is falling apart a bit.

I thought the characters were quite interesting, but for a while I had trouble telling who was who. Sometimes characters were referred to by their name, but at other times by their nationality, role or job. After a while it was clear to me who was who and I was not as confused anymore.

Personally I felt the book could've done with a map, as some of the places that were mentioned I hadn't heard of or didn't know where they are on a world scale. This could be just me though, I used to be very good at topography in primary school but I forgot many things since I didn't need to use the knowledge for a long time. I got the general gist of the places often based on context, but not always. I could've looked it up but I didn't.

I would've liked a bit more descriptions of scenery, people, their thoughts, their emotions, their actions, objects. Later on this seemed to bother me less, I guess in the first part of the book I had trouble imagining certain parts of the story. That said, the story doesn't need these descriptions to understand it, I just would've liked more of it I suppose.

I particularly liked the last part of the book. Things got more interesting, there were more plot twists that I really enjoyed. I don't want to spoil anything here, but the book will be discussed in April so I'll be able to say a little bit more then. The last bit of the book really increased the score for me.

Overall I'm glad I re-read this book. I enjoyed the last part in particular. My copy isn't in the best of conditions and it has a lot of errors. I didn't take this too much into account for the score as I think it's just my copy (a Dutch published copy for schools, though I've never seen much errors in other books by this publisher, when I read them when I was younger). I look forward to discuss the book in April.

Rating: **** (7/10)

Good review, Athena, and I can agree......a map would have been helpful.  I was always good at geography, but it's been a few, er several...many decades since that happened. 

Thanks, Pontalba :)!

I've rearranged my book shelves and after some days of tiring work, it's done! I had a lot of fun going through my books. Below and in the next few posts follow some photos.

The books about books, 1001 series books and information books:

BookCaseBooks1001NFFinal_0.25.jpg

Science-fiction, biographs, information books and cookbooks:

BookCaseSFNFFinal_0.25.jpg

Fantasy and paranormal books (mainly fantasy):

BookCasesFantasy1-2Final_0.5.jpg

:rolol:  Love it!  That is what we are about to do, ourselves.  It's in the talking stage right now, but we plan to move a wall at the time. 

I really did have my books organized, but when husband came down with his books.....!  All organization went out of the window.  And since, we've doubled our book count...it's helter skelter. 

Organization.  It's a wonderful thing! 

I think you're doing fabulously! 

LOL at the TBR! Nice bookshelves though - mine are a bit higgledy piggledy but I got rid of a lot of my books in the last few years because I kept moving. It's only in the last two years or so I have been settled enough to own bookshelves! (I need another now). 

BEAUTIFUL fantasy shelves Gaia! :D We share so many of the same versions of things - the various different styles of Feist, the mismatched Brent Weeks ones, the Pratchetts, the Thomas Covenant omnibuses, the GIANT Terry Brooks doorstoppers . . . and the Game of Thrones ones that almost  match but aren't quite the same size. :lol:

Good luck with the TBR-soon, and with organising the rest of them . . . and congratulations on not caving in!  :D

:rolol:  Love it!  That is what we are about to do, ourselves.  It's in the talking stage right now, but we plan to move a wall at the time. 

I really did have my books organized, but when husband came down with his books.....!  All organization went out of the window.  And since, we've doubled our book count...it's helter skelter. 

Organization.  It's a wonderful thing! 

I think you're doing fabulously!

x

Thanks Pontalba :)! Good luck organising your book shelves!

LOL at the TBR! Nice bookshelves though - mine are a bit higgledy piggledy but I got rid of a lot of my books in the last few years because I kept moving. It's only in the last two years or so I have been settled enough to own bookshelves! (I need another now).

x

Thanks Alexi :).

x

BEAUTIFUL fantasy shelves Gaia! :D We share so many of the same versions of things - the various different styles of Feist, the mismatched Brent Weeks ones, the Pratchetts, the Thomas Covenant omnibuses, the GIANT Terry Brooks doorstoppers . . . and the Game of Thrones ones that almost  match but aren't quite the same size. :lol:

Good luck with the TBR-soon, and with organising the rest of them . . . and congratulations on not caving in!   :D

x

Thanks Laura :). It's great to hear we share many of the same versions of books.

Your book shelves are fab Athena :)

x

Thanks Weave :).

I do have trouble processing input, particularly auditory input. So for me it's much easier to read a book than to watch TV, for example. So I don't watch much TV but instead read a lot. Reading does make me tired and often I need to stop to process what I've read, but it's much easier for me than hearing something, such as the TV, a game, music, people. I don't have many friends in real life whom I see often, so I don't spend any time on big parties or in a bar or something (I have autism, this would not be doable). I used to be a student but have graduated now. I'm very tired from going to university for many years and am dividing my time now between resting, reading, and doing little things around the house (such as cleaning up dishes) (and of course also doing other things such as using the computer for browsing the forum). If you want to know more, you can check my Member Thread, specifically the first post and this one. If you have any questions feel free to ask :).

That thread was an interesting read, thanks for referring me to it. I also have to say it takes some courage to talk so openly about yourself. It's lovely of you to share your story, and it's clear you have a passion for reading and books.

I actually feel a bit more motivated to go sit in my room and read a book for hours and hours, after looking through the pictures of your book collections.

I shall stalk your thread and see how your reading continues throughout this year. :P

Edited by Angury

Athena

That does look like it would have been quite a bit project, getting your books all divided into proper shelves and categories. Nice job ,and lots of books there to get through .

I'm sure you probably mentioned it before ,but I've got like 7 brain cells left, so I 'm sure I wouldn't be able to remember :

Do you keep all your books once you read them, get rid of them ,or do you keep READ shelves that they all go on once finished . Or just mix them in with the unread ones ?

Love the bookshelves.  I wish I had room for so many books! :D

x

Thanks, Steve :).

x  

That thread was an interesting read, thanks for referring me to it. I also have to say it takes some courage to talk so openly about yourself. It's lovely of you to share your story, and it's clear you have a passion for reading and books.

I actually feel a bit more motivated to go sit in my room and read a book for hours and hours, after looking through the pictures of your book collections.

I shall stalk your thread and see how your reading continues throughout this year. :P

x

Thanks, Angury :). I wish you happy reading :readingtwo: and hope my thread is interesting for you the rest of the year :), I'll do my best!

Athena

That does look like it would have been quite a bit project, getting your books all divided into proper shelves and categories. Nice job ,and lots of books there to get through .

I'm sure you probably mentioned it before ,but I've got like 7 brain cells left, so I 'm sure I wouldn't be able to remember :

Do you keep all your books once you read them, get rid of them ,or do you keep READ shelves that they all go on once finished . Or just mix them in with the unread ones ?

x

Thanks :). I generally keep all my books once I've read them. Just now, going through my book collection, I put some apart that I didn't like at all, but usually I keep them, especially if I really liked them. I don't have any read shelves, I have it organised by genre but generally know what I have and haven't read (otherwise the computer knows too). I couldn't be making read and unread shelves, that would break up authors and series and I wouldn't like that. Also, with the speed I read, it would be a bit of a pain :P. I was going to get rid of the books I've set apart, but my dad mentioned it might be good to hold on to them a little while longer, so I will.

Robert Jordan and Teresa Patterson - The World Of Robert Jordan's The Wheel Of Time

13893.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Format: Paperback

Pages: 461

Synopsis (GoodReads):Since the debut of Robert Jordan's internationally bestselling series in 1990, The Wheel of Time has transported readers to a world so strikingly real, so rich in detail and complexity, it seems to rise from memory rather than a printed page. This essential companion to The Wheel of Time is for the millions interested in the history and the background of this incredible series-never-before-told legends, previously unknown peoples and lands, exotic beasts, and portents of what may come to pass.

(cut off there since the paperback version doesn't have coloured maps in it etc. that the rest of the synopsis talks about. It does have maps in it.)

My thoughts: I finished the Wheel of Time series earlier this year, this is the one book left about the world that I hadn't read yet. I felt like reading a fantasy book.

This book talks about the various aspects of the world of The Wheel of Time series. Some information was familiar to me, having read all the books in the series, other information was new. I loved reading about the aspects of the world, such as the history, the nations, the various peoples. I don't want to spoil for those who haven't read the series, what things are discussed, but if you have read the series and want to know, feel free to ask and I'll put it in spoiler tags.

It was great to read this information and learn more about the world. Certain things became clearer to me. The book contains various maps of the land, some of which have been printed before in books of the series. Others were new and I found it really interesting to see and read about.

I don't recommend reading the book before you start reading the series, as it spoils some of it. It seems to have been written after book seven (this book was first published in 1997), it details some of the events up to there but not after. I recommend reading it after book seven or after any of the books coming after that. I read it at the end, which works out well too.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. It's made me want to go back and re-read the series, which I hope to do at some point but not yet. If you love the Wheel of Time series, this is a nice companion novel to read with it to learn more about the world. If you don't know the World of Time series, I recommend starting with book one, The Eye of the World and not with this book.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

Ria Bettgens - Stoppen met Piekeren

9789079872510.jpg

Genre: Information

Format: Hardback

Pages: 183

Synopsis (me): The book describes with text, exercises and illustrations how to stop ruminating / worrying.

My thoughts: I felt like reading a not too complicated information book. Since I worry a lot, this book might be good for me. I bought it at the library sale not too long ago (the original book might be a hardcover or paperback, I don't know).

This was a good book. It consists of text and exercises along with experiences from people who previously worried and followed the author's course. She first wrote a course and later on wrote the book.

The book has some nice illustrations in it, that relate to the text and often pack a joke. I liked these illustrations, not only do they underline the concepts and exercises of the text, but the jokes lighten the whole thing up a bit.

The book's main font is pleasing. The writing style is good and reads easily while also discussing some more complicated concepts. Many of the book's concepts and some of the exercises I've read of previously, in other books, but there was plenty new things too. The book makes a coherent whole, packing the information in one place. I think some of the exercises will be useful for me. In this case, the exercises are not all physical exercises, many of them are mental exercises, though some, such as a breathing exercise, are more physical. I particularly liked the exercises based on visualising something. There are several of those in the book, some of which I hadn't heard of before but sounded useful.

Overall I liked this book. It's easy to read, has a good writing style and has quite a few nice exercises and text. I really liked the illustrations.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

I have a lot to comment, where do I start? :D

First, before I forget, I loved looking through all the pictures you've posted about your book hauls. And the newly arranged bookcases, and the work in progress. Thanks for posting! :) Rearranging those shelves must've been so much work... But I see your bookcases aren't jam-packed yet, you could fit in more books... :giggle:

Moving on to book reviews:

Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain

My thoughts: This book has been recommended to me by several people here on BCF, I think I bought it upon Frankie's recommendation last year. After reading something historical I felt like reading something contemporary.

:friends3:   A great review, and I'm really happy you liked the book so much! Enzo was amazing, wasn't he? So loving, and so wise... I thought it was great how the book was written from the point of view of a dog. Brilliant stuff!

Alan Bennett - The Uncommon Reader

Another great review! Like you, I thought the book was very inspiring. It made me want to read more books (which is odd because I was reading a book, the very same book! at the same time :D For some reason I re-read the book just a few years ago and I liked it better on the second reading. Did it make you add books to your wishlist? :D

Jodi Picoult - The Storyteller

I'm sorry, I'm getting repetitive, but I can't help but say 'another great review!' :D This is definitely going on my wishlist (if it's not on there already). Sounds like a real pageturner. I can't remember, were you one of those who added The Pact by Picoult on her wishlist after I reviewed the book? If so, have you already found yourself a copy? Sorry, my memory's terrible these days!

Oh, and now that I remember: I was happy to see you liked the Veronica Roth books so much. I've seen a lot of people talk about them on here and they've rated the books highly and really enjoyed them. I have to say, I haven't read the reviews or don't even know what the books are about, because I have a feeling they might not be something I would read, but I am happy to see you enjoyed the books! :)

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Saga 1: Ender's Game

I've been wondering whether I should give this a try or not. You really liked it, and I know others who've also enjoyed it, but I've also heard about what the man himself was like. I definitely won't be buying my own copy, but I might borrow the book from the library and give it a go. If we read a book written by a questionable person, it doesn't mean we condone his personality.

Graeme Simsion - The Rosie Project

I'm just thrilled that you loved this so much! :friends3:  It was so cleverly written, I loved the thought processes of Don, and the scientific and pedant and academic use of English language. Marvellous! And I can't believe your copy actually included the questionnaire!! :lol: That's awesome! I definitely want the same kind of copy at some point (I borrowed the book from the library when I read it)

I'm going to come back with another post to comment on your book purchases!