Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

Doris Wild Helmering and Dianne Hales - Slank Denken, Slank Leven: 101 Steuntjes in de Rug (Think Thin, Be Thin)

903251041X.gif

Genre: Information

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 239

Synopsis (GoodReads):If you've been struggling with your weight, you know how hard it can be to lose those extra pounds and keep them off. In the groundbreaking Think Thin, Be Thin, nationally prominent psychotherapist Doris Wild Helmering and award-winning health writer Dianne Hales assert that the true key to a healthy body weight is a healthy attitude toward food and exercise. Their logic is simple: Your brain ultimately controls what you eat and whether you work out. If you change the way you think, you can change the way you behave. And you can lose weight.

Using proven psychological strategies and scientifically based exercises, you will learn how to harness your thoughts to transform your behavior, body, and life. With practical advice on such troublesome issues as curbing emotional eating, motivating yourself to exercise, and overcoming diet plateaus, this book is the ideal complement to any diet and weight-loss program.

My thoughts: I picked this book up in the charity shop not too long ago. Since I've been working on losing my weight I thought it'd be good to read it.

This book contains 101 tips that could help with losing weight. I found some more useful than others, but that's to be expected I suppose. There were quite a few useful ones, though a lot of the information I've read (or heard) elsewhere in a multitude of books, magazines etc.

The writing style was pretty good in my opinion. One thing that I found a bit annoying was that the book seems to be written for women, while with a few changes it could've been written for men also. While I am a woman and the authors are too, I felt it wouldn't have been too hard to include some more men's statistics too or to rewrite some sentences so they can appeal to both genders. The Dutch cover with the woman on it does give a clue, but the Dutch synopsis doesn't.

The book was motivating and inspiring. I did think it was a little bit too much about dieting, in the sense that in my opinion, not all diets work and specifically, eating less of things and less bad things should help. To me diets, in Dutch (the book is translated into Dutch and I read the Dutch version) are when you specifically hold to certain rules given by certain people who say you can't have certain things even when these things might not be unhealthy. Anyway..

Overall I thought the book was pretty good and I'm glad I bought it and read it. It's certainly one to re-read. The book now and then recommends writing certain things down in a notebook or on the computer, which I didn't do. I do more things in my head, and also some books say you should write this down, others that.. I do think I should write more but I'm already battling depression and while I'm still working on losing weight, it's not the main priority at the moment. I quite enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it. It's just a shame about these minor points I described.

Rating: **** (8/10)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a list of books I bought. Not all of them have arrived yet but I thought I'd post a list of what I've ordered over the past weeks, at least. They're new copies when available, but when not available I usually managed to find a cheap second hand copy.

Graeme Simsion - The Rosie Project

Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall

Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer - Between the Lines

Jenny Colgan - West End Girls

Sophie Kinsella - Wedding Night

Holly Smale - Geek Girl 2: Model Misfit

Sheila O'Flanagan - Follow Me

Mike Gayle - Men at Work

Sarah Zettel - Isavalta 4: Sword of the Deceiver

Robin Hobb - The Rain Wild Chronicles 3: City of Dragons

Raymond E. Feist - Midkemian Trilogy 2: A Crown Imperilled

Ursula K. Le Guin - Earthsea 5: The Other Wind

Ursula K. Le Guin - Tales From Earthsea: Short Stories

Adrian Tchaikovsky - Shadows of the Apt 9: War Master's Gate

K. S. Nikakis - Kira Chronicles 2: The Song of the Silvercades

Gardner Dozois - The New Space Opera

Gardner Dozois - The New Space Opera 2

Richard Cavendish - 1001: Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die

Cassell - 1001 Battles: That Changed the Course of History

Michael Bright - 1001: Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die

Mark Irving - 1001: Buildings You Must See Before You Die

Robert Arp - 1001: Ideas that Changed the Way We Think

Peter Furtado - 1001: Days That Shaped Our World

Stephen Farthing - 1001 Paintings: You Must See Before You Die

Tony Mott - 1001: Video Games You Must Play Before You Die

Frances Case - 1001 Foods: You Must Try Before You Die

Jack Challoner - 1001 Inventions: That Changed the World

Alice Ozma - The Reading Promise: 3,218 Nights of Reading with My Father

Daniel Pennac - The Rights of the Reader

Sophie Divry - The Library of Unrequited Love

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-read Crime Novels

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-read Classic Novels

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-Read American Novels

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-read Fantasy Novels

Christopher Priest - 100 Must-Read Science Fiction Novels

Stephen E. Andrews - 100 Must-Read Books for Men

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-Read Historical Novels

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-Read Prize-Winning Novels

Nick Rennison - 100 Must-read Life-changing Books

Susan Osborne - Bloomsbury Essential Guide for Reading Groups

Nik Kalinowski - Bloomsbury Good Reading Guide to World Fiction

Nick Rennison - Bloomsbury Good Reading Guide

Daniel Hahn - The Ultimate Teen Book Guide

Maxim Jakubowski - Complete Book of Science Fiction and Fantasy Lists

Jen Campbell - Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

Jen Campbell - More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

Damien Broderick - Science Fiction: The 101 Best Novels 1985-2010

Preordered:

Terry Pratchett - The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day

Robin Hobb - The Rain Wild Chronicles 4: Blood of Dragons

Free Kindle Ebooks:

David Simpson - Post-Human 1-4

Ryan Wiley - Spending Spree

Edited by Athena

Note: I had to remove some emoticons.

Wow! That's a lot of books, and a lot of books about books! Have fun with them all!

Thanks, Kylie :)!

x

Great book haul ! I read one of Daniel Pennac`s books years ago ( The Fairy Gunmother, iirc ).

x

Thanks, Sarah :).

Ditto what everyone else said.  That's a lot of books!  It should tide you over for awhile.

x

Yep :)

Brilliant book haul ... you've got some really great titles there. I've got The Shock of the Fall lined up to read soon too Hope you enjoy them all Gaia 

x

Thanks Kay, I hope you enjoy it :)

Oh, boy!  Glad to see you've gotten The Rosie Project, too.   Not to mention, lots of idea books.....always a good thing.

x

I agree :)

:o So many books!! I can only imagine how much that haul would have cost.

x

It cost a bit of money, though most of the second hand copies were only a penny or a pound (excluding shipping of course). So far the ones I've recieved are mostly in quite good condition.

Yesterday I went to the library in the next town over because my sister had read they were having a sale. They have to downsize from two floors to one. I had never been in this library before and I loved to walk around it. I always love to see nice libraries and it was great to be in there and see all the books. I bought quite some books too :blush2: and a few DVDs. The prices were quite good, 1.50€ for a book or a DVD. There weren't many English books as they're keeping most of their English stock (which was good to see too) but I got some nice Dutch books. We had to wait in the queue to pay for about 45 mins but it was worth it. I felt very tired though afterwards since it was a lot of input and our feet and hands were tired from carrying our bags. I haven't made a list yet because I've been too tired but I will be doing that at some point. You probably won't know some of the books as they're written by Dutch authors but still.

Now, for a while I shouldn't buy any books since I've bought a lot in March. So, Gaia, repeat after me:

I will not buy much books for a while

I love buying books :blush2:. I will try and concentrate on reading for the next while rather than buying.

Ooh...we always get into trouble at library sales.  With paperbacks costing a quarter and most hardbacks fifty cents to a dollar, who can resist!  

There's a children's publisher here in the States that opens up its' warehouses twice a year for huge book sales.  We used to go with ten dollars and come home with literally boxes of books.

Gaia wrote: 

:giggle:  Good one!

Speaking of which.....we made it to the monthly Library Sale here, and we were actually pretty good.  Only 12 books! 

Edited by pontalba

Ooh...we always get into trouble at library sales.  With paperbacks costing a quarter and most hardbacks fifty cents to a dollar, who can resist!  

There's a children's publisher here in the States that opens up its' warehouses twice a year for huge book sales.  We used to go with ten dollars and come home with literally boxes of books.

x

That sounds amazing!

Speaking of which.....we made it to the monthly Library Sale here, and we were actually pretty good.  Only 12 books!

x

That's pretty good restraint :)!

I made some photos of the books I bought at the library and of the books I've received thus far. I'll be posting them later once I've connected my camera, but first I'll post a review (if that's okay).

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Saga 1: Ender's Game

9734.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 326

Synopsis (back of the book):THERE IS NO TEACHER BUT THE ENEMY.

Ender Wiggin is Battle School's latest recruit. His teachers reckon he could become a great leader. And they need one.

A vast alien force is headed for Earth. Its mission: the annihilation of all human life.

Ender could be our only hope.

But first he must survive the most brutal military training programme in the galaxy.

My thoughts: We recently bought the film so I thought it'd be a good time to be reading the book. I have just read a fantasy book (Harry Potter 6) so I felt like reading something of a different genre.

This was a pretty good book. There is a lot of action and I enjoyed reading about Ender and his training. One problem I had with the book was that to me Ender (the main character) seemed to think, act and feel as older than he was. His thoughts felt more like that of a teenager and not of a child. I think it would've been better if he had been a bit older, then his age would match his thought process better.

I liked the characters of the book. I liked Ender a lot but I also liked most of the other characters that play a role in the book.

One thing I would've liked to see slightly more of, are the lessons of normal school material. Most of the focus of the book is on the simulation battles and games the students play. There is made reference to normal lessons and exams of maths etc. but not much. I guess it might've deluded the action though if there was made more mention of this, I guess I would've just liked to learn more about it.

The book has quite a few plot twists, most of which I didn't see coming. The book is quite suspenseful, I wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen. I loved the name of the aliens and I thought the ending was very good. While it's book one in a series it can be read on its own in my point of view. Yes, you can tell that there's a set up for a sequel but the story is good enough to stand on its own and doesn't end with a huge cliffhanger.

As most of you probably know, the author of this book isn't much liked for certain reasons. While I don't like him for those reasons either, I just wanted to point out I wouldn't have guessed his viewpoints based on this book alone.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book. It's suspenseful and full of action. I quite liked the book and would recommend it to people who like science-fiction with some action.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

Great review Gaia - I've had my eye on this book for ages! :)

Love all the new books, too! Good luck with not buying any more - I give it 1 week before you cave in and buy more. :giggle2:

x

Thanks, Laura :). If you read it some time I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks :). I'll accept that challenge :giggle2:

Wow! Lots of amazing books Gaia. :)

I can't wait to see photos and lists.

x

Thanks, Devi :)!

Here are some photos:

The "1001" books I recently bought: (four haven't arrived yet)

Books1001BooksOnline2(4missing)_0.25.jpg

The books about books I recently bought: (three haven't arrived yet)

BooksaboutBooksonline2_0.25.jpg

The fiction books I recently bought (a few haven't arrived yet):

BooksOnlineNew2Fiction_0.25.jpg

((EDIT: Whoops I forgot to include the one I'm reading, The Rosie Project))

The library haul:

LibraryHaul_0.25.jpg

I'll be posting a list of the library books in one of the next few days. I've just come back from a walk with our dogs and feel quite tired (both physically and mentally).

Edited by Athena

LOL, we must be related.....! :D

x

:D

Fabulous pictures!! I'm especially loving all the new fantasy ones. :D

When you said "the 1001 books I recently bought", I thought "wow, that's a lot!" Then I saw the picture. :giggle:

x

Thanks :)! I can see the confusion, sorry about that :blush2::giggle:.

Here's a list of the books I bought at the library sale. They're downsizing from two floors down to one (a shame) and were getting rid of a lot of books. They're keeping most of their English stock, which is good on one hand and less good on the other, meaning, I didn't find any English books. I saw many books I already have in English and many Dutch translated versions of books that I want to buy in English (but would rather have the English). It was great to walk around in the library and see it. I hadn't been in that library before (since it's the one of the next town over and not of my town). I always find libraries inspirational. They were selling the book cases as well but unfortunately that'd be too tall for the bakery. I would've loved some library book cases.

Here's the list:

Dylan Jones - iPod, Therefore I Am (Dutch)

Barefoot Doctor - Beste Barefoot Doctor: Wijsheid en Gezondheid voor Iedere Dag

Barefoot Doctor - Handboek voor Helden

Ria Bettgens - Stoppen met Piekeren: Hoe je Omgaat met een Crisis

Sonja Kimpen - Sterker dan Stress: Weet wat je Wilt en Haal Meer uit je Leven

André Brossé - Het Verschijnsel Mens

Mona Lisa Schulz - Op Weg naar Het Nieuwe Vrouwelijke Brein: Een Gids voor Moderne Vrouwen

Aaf Brandt Corstius and Machteld van Gelder - Handboek voor de Moderne Vrouw

Kim Izzo and Ceri Marsh - Alarmfase 1: Alles wat de Vrouw van Nu Moet Weten

Kim Izzo and Ceri Marsh - Stijl is een Keuze: Etiquette voor de Moderne Vrouw

Sophie Fontanel and Marie Perron - Moderne Manieren voor de 21ste Eeuw: Praktische Etiquette

Huib Boogert - viTAAL of faTAAL?: Verbazing en Verdwazing in het Nederlands

Kees Fens - Lijden, Liefhebben en Schrijven

Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Pillen, Praten en Patiënten

Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Relatietherapeut

Peter de Wit - Sigmund: Weet Wel Raad met Vakantie

Kees Volkers - Excuses voor het Ongemak: Dagboek van een Treinreiziger

Kamran Nazeer - Daar Komen de Gekken: Of Hoe Wij de Wereld Leerden Begrijpen

Sarah Morton - Afwijkend en Toch Zo Gewoon: Autobiografie van een Autist

Raymond E. Feist - De Oorlog van de Grote Scheuring: De Boodschapper

Pure Fantasy Magazine 14

W. J. Maryson - Onmagiër 3: De Heer van de Diepten

Robert Carter - De Taal der Stenen 3: Witmantel

Roger Highfield - Harry Potters Wetenschap: Hoe Magie Echt Werkt

Virginia Andrews - Willow 0: Duister Zaad

Virginia Andrews - Celeste 2: Zwarte Kat

Virginia Andrews - Schaduw 1: April

Virginia Andrews - Delia 3: Delia's Gave

Virginia Andrews - Kindred 1: Dochter van de Duisternis

Esther Verhoef - Is Uw Man Al Af?

Carry Slee - De Toegift

Annie Oosterbroek-Dutschun: Toch Kwam de Ware Liefde 1-3: Niets is Tevergeefs; Moeder, Daar is Amy; Als je er niet meer in Gelooft

Annie Oosterbroek-Dutschun: In Ons Hart 4-6: Ik wil niet Eenzaam Zijn, Laat mij Leven!, Het Geluk Woont in Ons Hart

Anke de Graaf - Caren Trilogie 1-3: Erfenis uit het Verleden, Carens Tweestrijd, Wat Liefde Verdraagt

Henny Thijssing-Boer - Zwijgen Hoeft Niet Meer (4-6?): Verzwegen Verleden, Dat wat Voorbij is, Een Stem in de Stilte

Alan Pauls - Het Verleden

Charles den Tex - Bellicher 3: Wachtwoord

Charles den Tex - Angstval

Kim Sma@ge, Unni Lindell, Sjo"wall Wahlo"o" - Nachtduik, Nachtzuster, De Man op het Balkon

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 4: De Listige Slang

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 5: Het Web van Araglin

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 6: De Vallei van het Kwaad

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 7: De Verdwenen Monnik

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 8: Dood van een Pilgrim

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 10: Vrouwe van het Duister

Peter Tremayne - Zuster Fidelma 12: De Gekwelde Abt

Claudia van der Sluis - Flikken Maastricht: Gestalkt

A. C. Baantjer - Appie Baantjer Compleet 1: Alle Verhalen van Rechercheur Baantjer van Bureau Warmoesstraat Deel 1

A. C. Baantjer - Appie Baantjer Compleet 2: Alle Verhalen van Rechercheur Baantjer van Bureau Warmoesstraat Deel 2

A. C. Baantjer - Appie Baantjer Compleet 3: Alle Verhalen van Rechercheur Baantjer van Bureau Warmoesstraat Deel 3

(pictures can be found in a previous post)

I'm happy with my books :).

Edited by Athena

Graeme Simsion - The Rosie Project

20561643.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Adult

Pages: 327

Synopsis (back of the book):'I'm not good at understanding what other people want.'

'Tell me something I don't know...'

Love isn't an exact science - but no one told Don Tillman. A handsome thirty-nine-year-old geneticist, Don's never had a second date. So he devises The Wife Project, a scientific test to find the perfect partner. Enter Rosie - 'the world's most incompatible woman' - throwing Don's safe, ordered life into chaos. Just what is this unsettling, alien emotion he's feeling?

My thoughts:

I recently bought this book upon recommendation of several people on the forum. It had been on my wishlist for quite some time (before I joined BCF).

I straight away liked this book. I could fully understand Don's thinking style and loved the way the book was written. I loved Don's character. I loved most of the other characters too, for example I quite liked Rosie as well. I also liked Claudia but I liked Gene less (they are Don's friends).

This book was amazing. It was great to read about Don's life and about his Projects. My copy of the book even has a 'copy' of the questionaire of the Wife Project in it, which was really nice to read. I think I wouldn't have done too bad :P.

There are quite a few plot twists in this book. It isn't just about love, there are other story lines and plot points too. I loved reading it all.

I'm finding it hard to review this book. It was very good, I really enjoyed reading this book.

As a side note: While Don has many characteristics of autism (which I loved reading about), he doesn't appear to get very tired from input like I do. Still, this didn't diminish my joy of reading the book. After all, I can understand books with people in them who don't have much characteristics of autism (including just being able to go out and do stuff etc.). I loved reading about Don's schedule and his thinking. My thinking is often similar though quite different sometimes too (depending on the situation etc.).

Overall I really enjoyed this book.

Rating: ***** (10/10)